VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

End of an Era - Cayman Sold

663K views 8K replies 405 participants last post by  mAdD INDIAN 
#1 · (Edited)
Well it was a fun 7 years, but the Cayman has been sold. It has gone to a very good home and will be enjoyed by its new owner.

It's funny to think it was the one constant through so much change. 4 different living accommodations - Apartment, Loft, Condo and House. And 4 different jobs.

Anyway, anyone who's had a car they loved for a long time can probably relate, it's a weird feeling to have it gone.

In its place... something has been ordered and will be arriving in 75 days.

Reactions: ItsHabanero
#24 ·
Congrats on the 911.

I was also going to comment on the driveway. You might want to have it repaired correctly. Simply pulling the pavers and putting more sand underneath will help a little(albeit temporarily) but you should fix it correctly the first time. Or is it second time since its a fix... Anyway once you start pulling it up you'll realize it isn't just 5 or 6 bricks per wheel that are sinking. Cant you call Mike Holmes and cry? Isn't that how it works in Canada?

#35 ·
I'm interested to hear about your experience with your Cayman.
The Cayman was a lot of fun. Sure there are faster, more expensive cars out there, but it was the best car I've been lucky enough to own and I enjoyed every second of it. I don't think I'll ever drive another car with such pure steering feedback. Loved the sound of that flat six engine 2 inches behind the seat and really enjoyed how much you could use it for everything. If you look at my signature you can see I kept it much longer than anything else. Nothing bad to say about it at all.

:heart:

Reactions: Remzac
#53 ·
I'm almost more curious about which dealer he went to (we have 3 in the GTA, all with varying reputations) than the car itself.
Great question. I checked out all 3 - Pfaff Porsche (Woodbridge), Oakville Porsche (Oakville) and Downtown Porsche (Downtown Toronto). I bought my previous Boxster and Cayman at Pfaff Porsche from the same salesman. I live 5 minutes away from Downtown Porsche and was curious about Oakville Porsche which is brand new.

Oakville Porsche: Brand new HUGE dealership. Gorgeous inside with lots of stock on the floor. Pleasant salespeople. About 50km drive from my home. Liked them a lot and almost bought from them. They were friendly and very responsive to all my questions.

Downtown Porsche: Georgraphically it should have been where I bought it. The dealership is only 5 minute drive from my house. I could walk home if I had my car in for service. But, they're a real mixed bag. I used to use them for minor service stuff with the Cayman and sometimes you got good people and sometimes you left mad. Stuff like, they won't plug a tire and insists you buy a new one (Official Porsche policy, yet Pfaff and Oakville have zero problem safely plugging.) Or they couldn't fix a problem in 3 tries that Pfaff would fix on the first. And when I went in to test drive a 981 and 991 I was told there were no 991s available for test drive (bullsh*t!) and to come back to test the 981 when I was really serious.

Pfaff Porsche: Where I ended up buying from. Really friendly atmosphere. Great sales guy. He facilitated the flow-through nicely and didn't make me do any running around at all with paper work. He even dropped off documents and plates at my house. My 3rd Porsche I bought from him and it felt good. He gave me a very good price (won't say because TCL will always say you got ripped off no matter what you paid) and was just a pleasure to work with. They are also 50km away but have a free valet service and loaner for any time the car needs to be serviced. Also test driving - he would just hand me the key to Porsche after Porsche and just say yeah, take 'em out see what you think. In total I test drove a 981 manual, 981S PDK, 991 manual, 991 C4S manual, and two different 991 PDKs. Each time just by myself or with my girlfriend out for 30 minutes at a time. Very cool of them.

#56 ·
Alright here are the options I got (all available on 981 and 991.) I kept it pretty base, because I'm a base kinda guy.

- PDK
- 20" Wheels
- Coloured Center Caps
- Heated Seats
- Sport (Paddle) Steering Wheel

That's it.

The manual/PDK decision was the hardest of all. I orginally ordered it manual and then changed to PDK at the last minute just before it locked in. Honestly, both are great, but I think with where I live and how I drive, the car will be better suited to me in PDK. But I still love manual!

#68 · (Edited)
Yup. Black on Black.

If you're that close to Downtown Porsche there's no way you're 50 km from Pfaff.
http://goo.gl/maps/n6dv2

It is when I take the DVP/Gardiner/427/407. I ain't cutting through the heart of Toronto for 2 hours to get there. And the 401 is gridlocked 24/7 these days.

#80 ·
75 more hp with 20" wheels = rotational weight just made the 911 more appealing if you 'h-a-d' to get 20's.
I was trying to calculate the power to weight ratio of both cars, but I'm bad with math. Here are the raw stats.

Cayman 1340kg / 275hp

911 1400kg / 350hp