VWVortex.com - End of an Era - Cayman Sold
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    The Car Lounge
    Page 5 of 140 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast
    Results 101 to 125 of 3483

    Thread: End of an Era - Cayman Sold

    1. Member Pool Runner's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 17th, 2009
      Location
      Nor Cal
      Posts
      3,348
      Vehicles
      '13 Outback 2.5i Limited SAP, '13 Ford F-150, Screw, FX4, EcoBoost
      03-13-2014 02:22 AM #101
      Quote Originally Posted by Khyron View Post


      12 Years sounds about right - came here for advice on a new 02 Jetta Nev4r lose.
      That's crazy, I,ve been here exactly the same amount of time and also started with an '02 Jetta lol. I had a different user name though during that era. I remember all the banhawc threads, painted rotors, lumber, Pelko etc... Lots of things have changed, lots of it still the same.

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. I’m not a loser. I’m a winnah!! patrikman's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 10th, 2008
      Location
      44.5 North, 88 West
      Posts
      38,234
      Vehicles
      made in ‘murica truck and wagon
      03-13-2014 03:21 AM #102
      Congrats on the purchase, looking forward to seeing it often. I'm also looking forward about 8 months to the thread where your sail collapses on your new 911 because of heavy snow. It's not too late to invest in my Porsche Targa Targa garage garage side gig. Risk is minimal....
      this signature kills fascists.

      Support Your Local Homebrewery

    4. Member
      Join Date
      Sep 6th, 2002
      Location
      New England
      Posts
      1,147
      Vehicles
      '14 991 TTS, '91 T4 California
      03-13-2014 12:27 PM #103
      Quote Originally Posted by mtbscoTT View Post
      I am happy to say I have not and will not succumb to PDK. Recant while you still can.
      How is the 7 speed manual? The press doesn't seem to be crazy about it and it just seems like a lot of gears to row through.
      Gone but not forgotten: 85 BMW M535, 04 VW R32, 04 Audi S4, 03 Porsche 911 C4s, 06 Corvette Z51, 08 BMW M3, 99 Ferrari 360, 13 Subaru WRX, 13 Nissan GT-R, 04 Challenge Stradale, 01 911 Turbo, 16 GT4

    5. Member bubuski's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 14th, 2001
      Location
      Mississauga, Ontario
      Posts
      3,963
      Vehicles
      Mazda 5spd Breadvan | BMW 3 series B58 Powered
      03-13-2014 01:04 PM #104
      Congrats on your new Cayman S

    6. Member
      Join Date
      Jan 14th, 2003
      Location
      Houston, TX
      Posts
      2,063
      Vehicles
      19 Golf R
      03-13-2014 01:29 PM #105
      Quote Originally Posted by Smoltz View Post
      How is the 7 speed manual? The press doesn't seem to be crazy about it and it just seems like a lot of gears to row through.
      I don't understand the aversion to it. It's not the best feeling manual I've ever had, but I haven't missed any shifts either. It's a little notchy when cold but once the car is up to operating temperature it's pretty snick-snick.
      It's very tall, first and second are pretty low, then 3-5 closer together, and 6-7 long legged. I use 7th whenever possible for gas mileage, you need to be going above 60 or so for it to make sense. At 85, it's only turning a around 2500rpms, and I've gotten as high as 29mpg even with a bike on the roof, pretty incredible if you ask me.
      Houston, TX
      2012 Porsche Carrera 991

    7. 03-13-2014 01:29 PM #106
      Whatever you got it better not have AWD or even a soft top. Though I'd make an exception if you bought a new Targa. For some damn reason I love those things.

    8. Member BostonB6's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 16th, 2005
      Location
      Boston, MA
      Posts
      9,850
      Vehicles
      2016 Audi A4/ 2015.5 Volvo XC-60/2005 BMW Z4
      03-13-2014 03:15 PM #107
      I vote for a Vette.


    9. 03-13-2014 03:34 PM #108
      Quote Originally Posted by mtbscoTT View Post
      I don't understand the aversion to it. It's not the best feeling manual I've ever had, but I haven't missed any shifts either. It's a little notchy when cold but once the car is up to operating temperature it's pretty snick-snick.
      It's very tall, first and second are pretty low, then 3-5 closer together, and 6-7 long legged. I use 7th whenever possible for gas mileage, you need to be going above 60 or so for it to make sense. At 85, it's only turning a around 2500rpms, and I've gotten as high as 29mpg even with a bike on the roof, pretty incredible if you ask me.
      I'd actually love to have a 7th gear in my 997. 6th is great and all but I'm still turning over 3000 rpm at 120km/h, which around here is "normal" highway speed.

      I talked to a guy at a Porsche event earlier this year who had the 991 version of my car and he said 7th really helps fuel economy on his drive up to the cottage (like in the 6s in L/100km).
      Quote Originally Posted by Internal Combustion View Post
      Not sure if serious, so I'll put it in terms you can understand: your and idiot.

      Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

    10. 03-14-2014 03:13 PM #109
      Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
      Whatever you got it better not have AWD or even a soft top.
      No AWD, no soft top I promise.

      And here's something insane, just got off the phone with my insurance and the insurance on this brand new Porsche will be LESS than the insurance on my 7 year old Cayman was. I made him check it 3 times because I couldn't believe what I was hearing. He says it all has to do with the stats of crashes/thefts or certain models. Nuts.

    11. Member Vicks's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 4th, 2012
      Location
      Beverly Hills
      Posts
      668
      03-14-2014 03:27 PM #110
      Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
      No AWD, no soft top I promise.

      And here's something insane, just got off the phone with my insurance and the insurance on this brand new Porsche will be LESS than the insurance on my 7 year old Cayman was. I made him check it 3 times because I couldn't believe what I was hearing. He says it all has to do with the stats of crashes/thefts or certain models. Nuts.
      So its a 991?

    12. 03-14-2014 03:31 PM #111
      Quote Originally Posted by Vicks View Post
      So its a 991?
      It's a brand new Porsche.

    13. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 12th, 2006
      Location
      The Orange Crush
      Posts
      41,316
      Vehicles
      '19 Alfa Romeo Stelvio, '18 Mazda CX-5
      03-14-2014 04:23 PM #112
      Quote Originally Posted by Vicks View Post
      So its a 981?

    14. Banned patrickvr6's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 29th, 2001
      Location
      Marietta GA
      Posts
      10,283
      Vehicles
      '77 Bronco '85 Toyota 4x4 '87 930 '91 M5 '08 Xterra
      04-16-2014 09:10 AM #113
      Here is what Hawk has to look forward to. A pool!


    15. Member
      Join Date
      Jan 14th, 2003
      Location
      Houston, TX
      Posts
      2,063
      Vehicles
      19 Golf R
      04-16-2014 11:12 AM #114
      I have seen verification of the Hawk car. That is all.
      Houston, TX
      2012 Porsche Carrera 991

    16. 04-16-2014 11:32 AM #115
      Quote Originally Posted by patrickvr6 View Post
      Here is what Hawk has to look forward to. A pool!

      Holy lemon!
      Quote Originally Posted by Internal Combustion View Post
      Not sure if serious, so I'll put it in terms you can understand: your and idiot.

      Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

    17. Member Vicks's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 4th, 2012
      Location
      Beverly Hills
      Posts
      668
      04-16-2014 12:43 PM #116
      Quote Originally Posted by mtbscoTT View Post
      I have seen verification of the Hawk car. That is all.
      So a 991 911 C2 non S model?

    18. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 12th, 2006
      Location
      The Orange Crush
      Posts
      41,316
      Vehicles
      '19 Alfa Romeo Stelvio, '18 Mazda CX-5
      04-16-2014 12:51 PM #117
      Quote Originally Posted by patrickvr6 View Post
      Here is what Hawk has to look forward to. A pool!

      wow

    19. Member kraut_pauer79's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 27th, 2004
      Location
      The Dirty LBC
      Posts
      5,440
      Vehicles
      a Metro pass.
      04-16-2014 01:02 PM #118
      Shocking, the build issues that poor guy's car has, even more shocking the way Porsche NA is treating him.

      However, I doubt any of this will sway Hawk's decision, lol.
      Quote Originally Posted by Metallitubby View Post
      Subaru fans chalk their negative experiences up to being part of a smaller brand and character. Something about beards, lesbians, and douche-flutes.

    20. 04-16-2014 01:28 PM #119
      Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
      Holy lemon!
      I feel awful for that guy. I can only imagine.

      However, from what I've read on other forums where he's posted this video, apparently he did a lot of aftermarket electrical modifications to the car that may have contributed to some of his issues. Still, there's nothing worse than getting your dream car only to have persistant major problems with it that nobody can fix.

      That said, in my experience, with car and motorcycle dealerships, the best way to get them to help you out (even if they're supposed to help you and it's not a favour) isn't to post YouTube rants. That usuaslly just gets everyone's backs up, it isn't likely to make them try harder. Anyway, he might be past the point of no return and simply trying to shame them into buying his car back, but he's kind of chosen the nuclear option.

      Super frustrating though. Seems like a decent guy.

    21. 04-16-2014 01:33 PM #120
      Quote Originally Posted by mtbscoTT View Post
      I have seen verification of the Hawk car. That is all.


      Alright, cat's out of the bag here it is:

      PORSCHE BUILD CODE

    22. Member kraut_pauer79's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 27th, 2004
      Location
      The Dirty LBC
      Posts
      5,440
      Vehicles
      a Metro pass.
      04-16-2014 01:39 PM #121
      Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post


      Alright, cat's out of the bag here it is:

      PORSCHE BUILD CODE
      Can never go wrong with black, and those wheels are hot too.

      But holy ****ing sh:t, $105K with hardly any options??? That is nuts.
      Quote Originally Posted by Metallitubby View Post
      Subaru fans chalk their negative experiences up to being part of a smaller brand and character. Something about beards, lesbians, and douche-flutes.

    23. Member BostonB6's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 16th, 2005
      Location
      Boston, MA
      Posts
      9,850
      Vehicles
      2016 Audi A4/ 2015.5 Volvo XC-60/2005 BMW Z4
      04-16-2014 01:46 PM #122
      Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
      Yeah, or poorly built driveway. Can I just pulls those stones out and add more sand/gravel and put them back in or is it more complicated than that?
      Use stone dust instead of sand and pack it down well. I'll bet you anything that they used sand, which is not a good base for pavers.

      I would ask for pics when you get the car but in your case, not needed!

      Good luck with it.
      Last edited by BostonB6; 04-16-2014 at 01:49 PM.

    24. 04-16-2014 01:51 PM #123
      Quote Originally Posted by BostonB6 View Post
      Use stone dust instead of sand and pack it down well. I'll bet you anything that they used sand, which is not a good base for pavers.
      Good to know. I'm going to pull out some pavers and have a look at it this weekend.

    25. Senior Member Mike!'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 17th, 2002
      Location
      Ontario & Ohio
      Posts
      20,360
      Vehicles
      2015 Fusion Wagon Allroad Turbo
      04-16-2014 02:02 PM #124
      Quote Originally Posted by kraut_pauer79 View Post
      Can never go wrong with black, and those wheels are hot too.

      But holy ****ing sh:t, $105K with hardly any options??? That is nuts.
      PCM (Nav) is standard at least, though performance options like PTV, Sport Chrono, etc. are all extra. Don't forget 13% tax.

      I called it on the 991 and I really hope Hawk enjoys his car, but damn, getting PDK and then skipping out on Sport Chrono, meaning no launch control? To me, that's one of the fun parts of going PDK.

    26. Member
      Join Date
      Nov 21st, 2009
      Posts
      452
      Vehicles
      M235i 6MT fakerich edition
      04-16-2014 02:11 PM #125
      Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post


      Alright, cat's out of the bag here it is:

      PORSCHE BUILD CODE
      Congratulations. Black Carrera was always part of my childhood dreams. I hope it will serve you well. I am picking up new fakerich M235i today and that makes me feel better about blowing so much moolah.

    Page 5 of 140 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •