VWVortex.com - Stephen King
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Stephen King

1. 04-11-2014 09:46 PM #1
      I just read Gunslinger. Let me tell you. MEH. Pretty damn disappointed. My friend assures me that books 2, 3, etc., are much better. However, he also tells me that in order for them to make sense, I need to literally read every other Stephen King book. I have already read 11/22/63 and Under the Dome.

So - can someone kindly give me a primer here, which ones I should read? Where to start?

Thanks
      Current: 2011 GTI | 2018 ///M2
      Past:
      2014 228i | 2008 Touareg 2 | 2007 Jetta | 2003 Passat V6 | 1989 Volvo 240

IANYL

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 04-11-2014 09:51 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by hoyalawyr View Post
      I just read Gunslinger. Let me tell you. MEH. Pretty damn disappointed. My friend assures me that books 2, 3, etc., are much better. However, he also tells me that in order for them to make sense, I need to literally read every other Stephen King book. I have already read 11/22/63 and Under the Dome.

So - can someone kindly give me a primer here, which ones I should read? Where to start?

Thanks
      Just listen to the song:

I'm really just here for the pancakes.
      I'm Sorry Hachi... I love you.

4. I’m not a loser. I’m a winnah!! patrikman's Avatar
      Vehicles
      made in ‘murica truck and wagon
      04-11-2014 10:07 PM #3
      Get some of the books that are collections of shorter stories, I've got a couple somewhere like that but I can't remember names right now.
      this signature kills fascists.

Support Your Local Homebrewery

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

04-11-2014 10:16 PM #4
      King hasn't been at his best since the late 80s/early 90s, IMO. Just about anything written between 1977 and 1989 is a masterpiece.
      Last edited by butterface; 04-11-2014 at 10:19 PM.

Vehicles
      '14 Jetta 1.8T, '13 X3, '02 911 Turbo
      04-11-2014 10:17 PM #5
      Eyes of the dragon
      If your car feels like it's on rails, then you're going too slow.
      Check out my car blog!

8. 04-11-2014 10:44 PM #6
      If you read the first one and didn't like it, you're going to hate "The Drawing of the Three." That book was actually painful for me to finish. I'm reading "The Wastelands Now." That's much better.

9. Member
      04-11-2014 10:54 PM #7
      It's not just you. I hated Gunslinger.

I loved Dreamcatcher, though.
      Sim Simmer.
      Keys.
      Bimmer.

Vehicles
      Silverado
      04-11-2014 10:55 PM #8
      11/22/63 was very good I thought. One of his newest.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Fiat 500, 1984 VW Vanagon, 2007 Kia Rondo
      04-11-2014 11:00 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by hoyalawyr View Post

Thanks
      It's been YEARS since I read the first couple and didn't bother with finishing the series. That said, I never once felt like I needed to have read any of his other books to read the Gunslinger series. There are some references to The Stand from what I remember, but again, I don't think you *have* to read the other ones. I think they adapted the whole series into graphic novel form, may just want to check that out (I've seen them at my local half price bookstore in the comic section). For what it's worth.....
      Posts may not reflect the views of others, get over it.

Vehicles
      '14 ATS, '14 335i GT
      04-11-2014 11:14 PM #10
      The Dark Tower Series is awesome, but it's a REALLY slow start. It's not pop literature like most of his stuff. The Gunslinger dragged hard for me too, but I loved it after that.

In terms of other stuff, there's no one story that will be worthwhile. It's just little pieces from other books that fall into Dark Tower.

Key books in the Stephen King Universe that have significant relations to Dark Tower:

IT
      Insomnia
      The Stand
      The Talisman

As for my favorites:
      Christine
      Tommyknockers
      Needful Things
      The Dome
      Desparation/The Regulators (reading these will F with your head)
      | 2014 Cadillac ATS Performance | 2014 BMW 335i GT |

04-11-2014 11:25 PM #11
      I've read the entire Dark Tower series several times. The Gunslinger is probably my favorite. I'll agree that Drawing of the Three is a pain to read, but it really lays the foundation for the rest of the series. Didachuk? Dadachum?

There is a new one that is between Wolves of the Calla and another one, called The Wind Through the Keyhole or something like that. I read it recently, and it is a little hard to follow, but is a good story that intertwines young Roland into the narrative.

Pick up the unabridged version of The Stand and also It. Both were masterpieces of modern literature.

Also, if you read a lot of his books, you'll understand that The Man in Black is a character in many of his books, with many different names. I'd love to have a few beers with SK just to flesh that character out.
      Cheers, Adrian
      726 bottles of beer on the wall.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      67 Dodge Coronet sedan, Kymco Like 200LX
      04-11-2014 11:35 PM #12
      My mom is a huge Stephen King fan so I picked up Gunslinger out of the blue one day. Read a few chapters, sat back and said to myself "this.....is boring?". Never finished it.

I've read a few things by his son Joe Hill and thoroughly enjoyed them though.

Vehicles
      MBTA Charlie Card
      04-13-2014 04:03 PM #13
      He's definitely lost his touch. "Just After Sunset" was one snooze after another, and "Under the Dome" was disappointingly linear with a very lame ending. The days of "The Stand," "Misery," and "Four Past Midnight" are all behind him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      Click to see the difference between a "CUV" and a "SUV"

"GM ... did such a stellar job at making some truly dull, forgettable automobiles. It’s a talent, really. A terrible, terrible talent." -- Jalopnik

16. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 GTI
      04-13-2014 10:11 PM #14
      No one ever mentions 'Insomnia' by him. Literally my second favorite book by him after 'The Stand.'
      2012 VW GTI( (Stage II APR)
      2001 Toyota 4Runner (winter)
      Mongoose Dolomite (goes wherever)
      Trek 1000 (goes fast)

Vehicles
      2014 Focus
      06-10-2014 09:43 AM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by MeineFolks'wagen View Post
      It's been YEARS since I read the first couple and didn't bother with finishing the series. That said, I never once felt like I needed to have read any of his other books to read the Gunslinger series. There are some references to The Stand from what I remember, but again, I don't think you *have* to read the other ones. I think they adapted the whole series into graphic novel form, may just want to check that out (I've seen them at my local half price bookstore in the comic section). For what it's worth.....
      "Black House" co-written by him and Peter Straub also references the tower, beam and breakers pretty heavily. I have found all sorts of cross-references in his books. Trying to remember which one I was reading a while back that had a ref to "Shawshank Redemption"...
      Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Leary
      The universe is an intelligence test.

18. Member
      Vehicles
      93 Passat - 97 Passat - 07 Golf - 07 Jetta - 13 Jetta - 17 Golf R - 18 Alltrack
      06-06-2017 09:04 AM #16
      I'm half way through "The Gunslinger" right now as per a recommendation from a work colleague. Its OK, definitely not one of King's better works. I am hoping the rest of the Dark Tower series gets better.

In the last year alone, I've read Pet Semetery, Christine, IT, The Green Mile, The Shining, Night Shift, Mr. Mercedes, End of Watch (I missed Finders Keepers).

Vehicles
      '13 Touareg Sport / '12 Tacoma AC 4x4 / '00 BMW Z3
      04-11-2018 11:50 AM #17
      I read the novella "Gwendy's Button Box" King wrote with Richard Chizma and found it a fast and interesting read.

Then I started "Sleeping Beauties" written with his son Owen and found it long and boring, so I didn't even finish.

20. 01-29-2019 10:35 PM #18
      i never read stephen king book but i have watch the movie and it not bad!

21. Member Disgruntled Ziemniak's Avatar
      Vehicles
      MIL Machine
      03-21-2019 09:33 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by redbella View Post
      i never read stephen king book but i have watch the movie and it not bad!
      I'd suggest giving Cujo a read. Nice starter to his series and it's a story everyone knows, so not too difficult to follow.

EDIT: Nvm, he's banned
      Your favorite Ziemniak, hold the gravy.