Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installing Pioneer AVIC-8000NEX into the TTRS

1. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 TTRS Ibis White
      05-22-2014 05:11 AM #1
      I'm currently in the process of installing a Pioneer AVIC-8000NEX into my TTRS. I'll add more to this post when I have time. As most people with the RNS-E knows, the "Navigation Plus / Audi Music Interface / etc" is obsolete and more of an inconvenience to use if you already possess any modern day smartphone. Anyways, the new Pioneer offers pinch-zoom, two USB inputs, HDMI input, bluetooth Audio, navigation,... and the list goes on. It's basically a smartphone attached to your car.

So far the install has gone well. I was amazed at how easy it was to remove the old head unit. No screws or bending or anything required. Just slide in 4 Audi removal keys and pull the unit out. All the cables were very easy to disconnect as well. There are several how-to's (i.e. here). My install is different in that I wanted to keep the stock Bose amp and using PAC connection interface instead of Connect2, which is what most people seem to use. I've read posts about issues using aftermarket units to turn on the Bose amp but the PAC interface works just fine. Connect blue wire (remote signal) to blue wire. Four RCA cables from the PAC go into the head unit. Then there's some additional wires (illumination, reverse, parking brake, velocity sensor) that were connected with the twisty cap connectors. Hook up GPS, microphone, radio antenna, and whatever cables you want to go to a smartphone.

I was amazed at how drastically the sound improved over the RNS-E, even with the existing Bose system.

If I wanted to later, I can put everything back to stock exactly the way it was. There was to special cutting or drilling holes or refabrication of any parts. Removed only two screws to get the AMI device out of the bracket for the glovebox. Currently have two USB extensions and an HDMI cable through where the AMI connection was.

Old parts I will stick in a closet and forget about:

List of items I've used for the install.

• PAC C2R-AUDI Radio Replacement Interface ($75 Amazon)
      • PAC SWI-RC Steering Wheel Control Interface ($39 Amazon)
      • Audi Radio (4) Stereo Removal Tool Key ($4 Ebay)
      • American International® AUDK616 dash kit ($35 Ebay)Note: This is only the front face. No mounting brackets/screws, nor the rectangle trim piece. Update: DOES NOT FIT. Opening way to big for aftermarket double din unit.
      • Pioneer ADTVA133 2 Din Installation Kit - the mounting brackets ($38 Amazon) Didn't know Pioneer units came without any sort of mounting brackets. Update: DOES NOT FIT in car nor the AUDK616 dash kit
      • CONNECTS2 CT23AU05A Dash Kit ($99 Ebay) Note: Fits like a charm. Comes with face and mounting brackets and cage.
      • Metra 40-EU56 (40eu56) European Dual Fakra Antenna Adapter ($12 Ebay) Note: I connected the blue wire of this antenna to a relay switched (by ACC) constant 12V. It is not connected to the blue remote wire from the Pioneer unit so that the antenna will have full power.
      • Absolute RLS125 12-VCD Automotive Relay SPDT 30/40A ($6 Ebay) Note: I used this for the antenna adapter. Is it really needed? Not sure but doesn't hurt anything.

So that's roughly $200 in parts just for installing an aftermarket head unit, which is what I expected by reading other install posts. But it's better than paying someone else to do it. It may seem like a lot is involved but it's really hard to mess up if you read all of the instructions for wiring.

That's it for now. Will post more pictures when it's complete.
      Last edited by eggeegg; 02-26-2015 at 02:46 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 05-22-2014 08:12 AM #2
      definitely interested in the final pictures and how it looks! I've been looking into doing the same thing for awhile. Always been concerned about how it looks in the end though

4. 05-22-2014 08:13 AM #3
      Please do update your thread with details and photos as you progress.

I have been contemplating replacing the stock HU, speakers and amp myself.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. Member
      Vehicles
      997 GTS | BMW M2
      05-25-2014 11:26 AM #4
      Cool post.
      I would be interested to know if there is any functionality now in the heads up display in the center of the cluster; the one that generally shows turn by turn nav info, outside temp, etc. I've been wanting to switch my archaic RNS-E even in my old TTS and now this newer car too.. but didn't due to not wanting to lose the infotainment integration there.

Vehicles
      '14 Q5 3.0T, '15 S3
      05-26-2014 09:36 AM #5
      Looking forward to hearing more. Subscribed.
      2014 Q5 3.0T S-line Plus
      2015 S3, APR STG3

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 TT RS
      05-26-2014 09:59 AM #6
      Does this reuse the factory mics? I'd be interesting in seeing if the call quality is better or worse.

9. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      TT RS -10
      05-27-2014 01:38 PM #7
      Nice.

Did recently remove my cd-changer for a AMI unit so i can stream some music using a tune2air BT adapter, but now i think i might have gone for this instead.
      The tune2air BT adapter works OK but not great, streaming from spotify i can see the track name in both the displays but i can't change track and the sound quality is OK but you notice that some low and high end tones are missing.

Did you re-use the stock phone mic?
      Does all the steering wheel buttons work?
      Any more pics after the installation?
      Audi TT RS Manual 2010 Sepang Blue - With a few mods

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 TT-RS
      05-27-2014 03:54 PM #8
      Looks like a very clean install! I take it you had to install the Pioneer GPS puck and couldn't adapt it to the OEM one? Also, what was the story with the radio antenna and the relays, etc.? Thanks.

11. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 TTRS Ibis White
      05-30-2014 02:50 AM #9
      Behind the RNS-E. There's lots of room for aftermarket wires and cables.

Connects2 Dash Kit (CT23AU05A) squeezed inside. No need to remove existing mount fitments.

One HDMI and two USB cables fit through where the AMI connector used to be. With thin cables, the AMI door will still close.

Other end of the HDMI/USB cables.

Microphone for the Pioneer unit on the turn signal lever. I don't know how the existing microphones are hooked up. I know they're located in the <strike>rear view mirror</strike> overhead light assembly (thanks Black BeauTTy) and function via bluetooth. It would be nice to be able to utilize these somehow. But the aftermarket microphone isn't that noticeable.

Connecting everything and stuffing it all behind the unit.

Some final pictures:

My startup splash screen :

Last edited by eggeegg; 06-01-2014 at 01:26 AM.

12. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 TTRS Ibis White
      05-30-2014 03:11 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by Fined View Post
      Cool post.
      I would be interested to know if there is any functionality now in the heads up display in the center of the cluster; the one that generally shows turn by turn nav info, outside temp, etc. I've been wanting to switch my archaic RNS-E even in my old TTS and now this newer car too.. but didn't due to not wanting to lose the infotainment integration there.
      The heads up display only shows temp now. No navigation info, phone number list, title of currently playing song, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by CarbonRS View Post
      Does this reuse the factory mics? I'd be interesting in seeing if the call quality is better or worse.
      My setup doesn't reuse the mics. Haven't heard what the factory mic sounds like so I'm not sure if it's better or worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Merlinen View Post
      Did you re-use the stock phone mic?
      Does all the steering wheel buttons work?
      Any more pics after the installation?
      Using ugly aftermarket mic since I don't know how to use the stock mic.

Yes, steering wheel buttons work. The PAC steering wheel control unit allows you to program each control to change volume, mute, skip tracks, answer calls, and turn on the phone book (but phone number list display is on the unit only).

Yes, more pics just recently posted

Quote Originally Posted by Marty View Post
      Looks like a very clean install! I take it you had to install the Pioneer GPS puck and couldn't adapt it to the OEM one? Also, what was the story with the radio antenna and the relays, etc.? Thanks.
      Yes, using the Pioneer GPS unit which works great and is magnetically stuck on a piece of metal behind the glovebox. There is a GPS adapter that I recently order that supposedly allows you to connect the aftermarket unit to the existing GPS cablle. I'll test that out once I recieve it. Need Fakra "C" male (to connect to Audi GPS cable) to the aftermarket head unit.

That particular antenna adapter came with a label that just said "12V" on the blue wire. So it basically gets power from the constant power wire when the accessory switch is on.
      Last edited by eggeegg; 06-01-2014 at 02:19 AM.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      997 GTS | BMW M2
      05-30-2014 12:49 PM #11
      Very informative post! Thanks!

05-31-2014 07:17 AM #12
      Nice job, it looks great! The built in mic is actually in the overhead light assembly. With a long enough wire you could put the aftermarket one in there. There is plenty of space in there.
      2012 TTRS: Daytona Gray, CF Mirrors, Nexon CF Steering Wheel, OSIR Coolant Tank CF Shield, Tinted Tails
      GIAC Stage 2, AWE SwitchPath + cat-deletes, AWE FMIC, H&R RSB, MSS Adjustable Sport Springs, AWE Boost Gauge, BFI shift knob, 42DD shift bushings, Wheels: HRE P40 19x9 et50; Borbet LV5 18x8 et35; TSW Interlagos 18x9.5 et53 w/Mich PSS 275/35

Vehicles
      2015 Audi A3
      05-31-2014 10:45 PM #13
      Great write up, and thanks for showing the parts list you ordered. This will make it easy for some of us considering the upgrade.

Dave
      2015 Audi A3 2.0 - APR STG 1 Tune, Lowered on H&R SS Springs
      2014 Jaguar F Type V8S Conv

16. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 TTRS Ibis White
      06-01-2014 01:36 AM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by Black BeauTTy View Post
      Nice job, it looks great! The built in mic is actually in the overhead light assembly. With a long enough wire you could put the aftermarket one in there. There is plenty of space in there.
      You are correct, thanks. The below image looks like it might join the aftermarket unit and existing mic connection in the overhead light assembly. I'll eventually fiddle with that. I notice the mic wire is easy to hide completely between all the leather sections so no need to remove panels.

17. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2013 Audi TTRS, Ibis White
      07-05-2014 08:44 PM #15
      I'm definitely interested in doing this! Were you able to hook it up to the stock GPS unit with the fakra c adapter? Did you ever switch over to the oem microphone? Do the voice controls for calls work? Did you hook up the stock Sirius XM antenna? I've now got all the stuff you recommended in my Amazon cart!

18. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      07-06-2014 10:33 AM #16
      And as far as the multifunction display, even though it doesn't have any entertainment info, does it still have all the other stuff like the lap timer, setup page for TPMS, etc? Or is everything lost once you do this installation?

19. 07-13-2014 04:14 AM #17
      Any luck using the Fakra C adapter to use stock GPS puck? Carplay firmware coming in a few weeks I'm told!
      Last edited by 2008_tt_v6; 07-13-2014 at 04:27 AM.

20. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 TTRS Ibis White
      07-13-2014 01:44 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by Doctor 911 View Post
      I'm definitely interested in doing this! Were you able to hook it up to the stock GPS unit with the fakra c adapter?
      No. The adapter I received didn't fit into the Pioneer unit. I didn't pursue finding the correct adapter because Pioneer's GPS puck has worked flawlessly (located behind the glove box, magnetically attached to the car's frame.

Did you ever switch over to the oem microphone?
      I did not. The quality isn't much improved but I haven't had any complaints from callers.

Do the voice controls for calls work?
      Audi's current voice control no longer works. I think only the CarPlay feature of the Pioneer unit has voice control.

Did you hook up the stock Sirius XM antenna?
      I did not. I prefer Pandora :-)

And as far as the multifunction display, even though it doesn't have any entertainment info, does it still have all the other stuff like the lap timer, setup page for TPMS, etc? Or is everything lost once you do this installation?
      It has all of the other stuff like lap timer, TPMS etc, service reminder, etc.

21. 07-14-2014 07:56 AM #19
      And no more GPS instructions to MFD, right?

22. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 TTRS Ibis White
      07-14-2014 02:22 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by 2008_tt_v6 View Post
      And no more GPS instructions to MFD, right?
      Correct. But you can enable voice navigation directions from Pioneer's unit.

23. 07-17-2014 01:21 AM #21
      I'm doing the same setup in my 2008 V6 TT, but would like to try Connects2. This way we can compare and help others who want to give this a shot.

I suspect this is the harness I need but it's unclear if I have full or half Bose, so can't pick the right model (CTSAD005.2, CTSAD006.2, CTSAD007.2, CTSAD008.2). Any help?

http://www.connects2.co.uk/ProductIn...6&p=CTSAD008.2

Seems 2009 was a problem year for Bose and aftermarket HU:

http://audiforum.us/threads/2009-tts...-issues.10883/

24. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      07-17-2014 06:47 AM #22
      Thanks for all the info eggegg! This weekend, I spoke to a shop owner who told me that he was working with a company that is making a harness that will not only allow us to use the stock Bose system, it will utilize the driver information display in the latter.. No ETA yet, but I think I'm going to wait it out then. Apparently, those who have the Bose speakers need a different amp because the Bose amp needs to be turned on by the CAN-BUS.

25. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 TTRS Ibis White
      07-17-2014 12:03 PM #23
      Thanks for all the info eggegg! This weekend, I spoke to a shop owner who told me that he was working with a company that is making a harness that will not only allow us to use the stock Bose system, it will utilize the driver information display in the latter.. No ETA yet, but I think I'm going to wait it out then. Apparently, those who have the Bose speakers need a different amp because the Bose amp needs to be turned on by the CAN-BUS.
      The PAC CAN-BUS (C2R-AUDI) does turn on the stock Bose amp. My Bose system works just as it did. But the driver information display would be nice to have. You might also want to work with him on how you want each steering wheel button to function. In addition to the PAC CAN-BUS, I had to have the PAC steering wheel control interface and had to program each button (even the volume/track select "thumb roll" click up/down) for the Pioneer unit. Also, specify to him exactly what you want the 'Mode' button (i.e. bring up address book, change media input, etc) and Call/voice activation button to do in case you want them to handle differently than the RNS-E.
      Last edited by eggeegg; 07-17-2014 at 12:19 PM.

26. 07-17-2014 12:21 PM #24
      Thanks - is your Bose amp the same as the one this guy had?

27. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 TTRS Ibis White
      07-17-2014 02:45 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by 2008_tt_v6 View Post
      Thanks - is your Bose amp the same as the one this guy had?

I'll check when I get home but I'm pretty sure it's the same. Form other install forums I've ready, those who couldn't turn on their Bose amp were all using Connects2 connection adapter. The PAC connection adapter turns on the system fine. But I'll double check to make sure my Bose system is the same as those who have had problems.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast