VWVortex.com - Bow riders - what is your opinion on these?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bow riders - what is your opinion on these?

06-05-2014 11:28 AM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by sirswank! View Post
      good to know about the painted trailer. they do look pretty tho.

I've been looking at every brand, no one seems to outweigh the other. it's condition that matters.

here's a few that have caught my eye

upper limit - might finance

http://providence.craigslist.org/bod/4486039085.html

http://providence.craigslist.org/boa/4470836424.html

pay cash for

http://providence.craigslist.org/boa/4477918475.html

http://providence.craigslist.org/boa/4485153411.html

*edit

RE: the boat construction thing

http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-...iece-boat.html
      http://www.dusky.com/wordpress/732/

i guess how the boat is made makes a difference to the longevity, especially when used in ocean environments when you're beating it against the swells all day, as opposed to a smooth lake with a few wake to cross

All of these are 17 footers. I would strongly consider upping your budget, going with a same year 18 or 19 footer, and financing it over 5 years. Boats don't depreciate like cars - you only use boats a few times a year, 6 months out of the year. With a car, we're familiar with them in 1 year and tired of them by 3 (or at least, I am. ) but with boats, that familiarity curve is longer. It makes more sense to stretch boat financing out to lower the payment on a nicer, newer boat.

Boats shrink in the water, and I would encourage you to move up to a 19 footer or so. The room and ride difference is palpable, and you will likely be happier with the boat longer.

Regarding the 2 piece thing, I would be VERY careful what you read about on The Hull Truth. My personal opinion is that they are elitist f*** heads with no sense of reality. Every answer to a boat is a used Bertram with inboards because they are serious saltwater enthusiasts. It would be similar to going to a Bentley owners forum and asking questions about your first or second car - their advise, while instructive, is not based in your reality. If you post any of those Craigslist boats on THT, you will get the crap flamed out of you - ESPECIALLY Bayliner.

I can go into brands if you want - I am a huge Bayliner fan and have owned 3, even from the bad years of the mid 1980s. For the money and the way they are designed for room and space, I just don't think you can do better if you are a non-wealthy working stiff. But that is another chat for another day.

Find a boat that has obviously been cared for. Even a CL ad will give you a clue - Platinum found a boat owner who cared for his boat, had a thick stack of receipts, knew what the boat was and what it was called, and in general, was informed.

I can't tell you how many times I read an ad that goes like this:

"1988 [nope, it was an '86] BayLine 25 foot Serra [it's a 2450 Ciera, and the model is on the side of the boat you twit], Vulva Pinto GM engine [It's a Volvo Penta, and looking at your blurry pic, its very obvious you put a junkyard engine in from a 1978 GMC half ton). Mint, must see!"

Clearly we aren't dealing with someone who has a proper number of chromosomes here, and I wouldn't bother looking at this boat.

See what I mean?
      Matt
      2018 Toyota Highlander SE AWD, Midnight Black Metallic/Black
      2018 Volkswagen Golf R 6-speed, Lapiz Blue/Titan Black
      2018 Four Winns H210 / 5.3L Volvo Penta V8 300 / DPS-A Duoprop drive

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      10-speed bike
      06-05-2014 02:43 PM #27
      makes perfect sense, thanks.
      previously sirswank
      Join Date 03-17-2003
      Total Posts 7,046
      seagull posting on a forum near you!

Vehicles
      7.4, 6.4 & 5.7
      06-05-2014 11:02 PM #28
      Well, the sea trial went perfectly. Small lake but we got it up to 40+ mph. It would have gone faster with more room and/or less weight. Owner even changed the fluids for me last night.

Wife and kids are leaving with the in-laws tomorrow for a weekend trip to WI for a wedding. Hopefully, Maximum_Download’s wife will let him come out to play as I could use a hand launching it from the slip and taking it over to the marina for in-out rack storage

Last edited by PlatinumGLS; 07-10-2017 at 09:44 AM.

Vehicles
      10-speed bike
      06-06-2014 08:24 AM #29
      congrats, it looks great!
      previously sirswank
      Join Date 03-17-2003
      Total Posts 7,046
      seagull posting on a forum near you!

Vehicles
      7.4, 6.4 & 5.7
      06-06-2014 08:35 AM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by sirswank! View Post
      congrats, it looks great!
      Thanks

06-06-2014 10:29 AM #31
      ****, that looks cleaner in your pics than it did in the ad. If I didn't know any better I would say it looked brand new.

You did just fine. And don't worry, we will get out to hang out with you some time.

As for trailering, all I can tell you is go slow, and practice. Put your hand on the bottom of the steering wheel and turn in the direction you want the boat to turn, when backing up. You need a spotter in tight spots because you cannot see behind the boat, and that outdrive is pretty pricy if you run it into something like a concrete pylon.

When you launch:

1. You need a checklist in your head. Mine went something like this: Covers off, blower on, DRAINPLUG IN!!!!!, keys in ignition, coolers and bags in the boat, lines on, fenders on, TRAILER TIE DOWNS OFF!!!!.

2. Do this all in the prep area please, NOT on the ramp itself.

3. GO SLOWLY...take your time. The guy behind you can wait, and he will be waiting a lot longer if you rush it and screw up/hit something/sink the boat/sink the truck.

4. Don't be too proud to ask for help. We all had to start somewhere, and boaters are about the friendliest and most helpful people out there.

5. Relax when launching. Especially with Cathy and the kids....get stressed out and start yelling, and that's how days get ruined.

To launch the boat:

1. Line up with the pier, and start backing down slowly. Just to recap, the tie downs are now off the stern, the blower is on, keys are in the ignition, and you're ready to rock and roll.

2. The only thing holding the boat to the trailer is the winch strap and safety chain in front.

3. Back down slowly (some ramps are steep and slippery, so go slow and gauge your traction), and dunk the boat down to about 1 foot over the tops of the trailer fenders. Then shift to Drive and pull up just so the water is breaking over the fender tops. The idea here is you want to soak the bunks and then position the trailer so the boat slides off, not floating and only on the trailer by the tip of the bow. The soaked bunks will let the boat slide off easier.

Retrieval is the reverse of this process....back the trailer down, soak the bunks, position the trailer so the water is just breaking over the fenders.

Things you need:

1. Sandals. You are going to get your feet wet on the ramp, and on a hot day you will learn to enjoy it.

2. Safety equipment - we discussed this in an earlier post. Get this immediately and do not leave the dock until you have it.

Tips:

1. Upsize the bilge pump. Hardly any small boat makers put an adequate bilge pump in the boat.
      2. Ensure the pump you have works, and has an automatic float switch that works.

Thats actually all I can think of right now. I know Susan deep sixed a trip out this weekend, so I can't make it. But we can keep trying.
      Matt

Vehicles
      7.4, 6.4 & 5.7
      06-06-2014 03:38 PM #32
      Sorry you couldn't make it out but thanks for all of the help!

06-07-2014 12:30 AM #33
      Only other thing I can think of -

Do you understand how your power trim and tilt works?

Do you have any questions you need answered?
      Matt

Vehicles
      7.4, 6.4 & 5.7
      06-07-2014 01:30 PM #34
      They had Coast Guard inspections at the ramp this morning. Passed and got my sticker. Eventful free launch. Water was smooth (Lake St. Clair). Opened her up to 50+ mph with my brother and I plus a full tank of fuel. Beautiful day. Was out for a couple hours. Ran great. Super excited to do it some more. She is sleeping in her new home now - inside in/out rack storage at Hideaway Harbor Marina.
      Last edited by PlatinumGLS; 06-07-2014 at 05:28 PM.

Vehicles
      7.4, 6.4 & 5.7
      06-07-2014 01:33 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by Maximum_Download View Post
      ****, that looks cleaner in your pics than it did in the ad. If I didn't know any better I would say it looked brand new.
      I had 3 people ask me today what year it was and all 3 were surprised it is a 2000.

Vehicles
      7.4, 6.4 & 5.7
      07-14-2014 02:43 PM #36
      My family is addicted. Already dreaming about bigger boats - bow riders in the 23-26 foot range with pump-out heads. However, it will likely be a couple years before we are truly financially ready to upgrade (my wife is a stay at home mom and will be going to back to work when our ~3 year old starts school).

Here is my dream boat, a 2012 Cobalt 242 with 8.1L 400hp Volvo DuoProp. Best part is my wife agrees that it would be an awesome boat:

Yesterday, for S&G, I looked at a 2004 Chaparral 230 SSi with 5.7L 320HP DP:

Lots of options:

Loaded with features and options.
      • Stainless steel dual prop
      • Head
      • Snap-out carpeting
      • Snap-out wind screen
      • Dual batteries
      • Compass
      • Digital depth gauge
      • Stereo/CD with premium speakers
      • Fish finder/Chart plotter/GPS
      • VHF radio with DSC
      • Pressurized water system
      • Transom shower
      • Swim board with barbeque mount
      • Removable barbeque grill
      • Custom tarp for high speed towing
      • Removable bait tank and spare pump
      • All necessary accessories included
      • Heavy duty, galvanized trailer
      • Surge brakes
      • Spare tire
      • New brake pads and rotors
      • Many more features (skis, wake board, life jackets, etc.)
      However, the tropical trees, California registration and galvanized trailer made me question if it was a salt water boat. And it was.

Quote Originally Posted by 230 Seller
      The pictures were taken in California just before I brought it here to Michigan. The boat has been used in the ocean but has always been thoroughly flushed with fresh water and salt neutralizer. I have maintenance records and there are no problems with the boat. But it's ten years old so there are a few signs of use.
      The seller, a 70 year old guy bought the boat new when he was living in the San Diego area and moved back to Michigan a few years ago. He had maintenance records but the manifolds and risers are original. Interior was in good shape overall with just a stain from a spare tire resting against the bow cushion. Only had the trailer cover too but I would absolutely need a snap-on bow/cockpit cover.

As Matt told me, "You can maintain a saltwater boat but you're basically buying a northern car in Arizona. Why?" Makes complete sense. Also, we are not ready to buy the new boat now and having two boats at a time while selling our H180 would not be feasible. We would have to put money into the 230 right away including new manifolds/risers plus bow/cockpit covers. Plus, we would have to store two boats at a time

I will check back when we are truly ready to upgrade.

Our H180 has been great, the only issue is the power cut out after hitting a wave and I figured it out myself...one of the two wires going to the kill switch fell off. Easy fix.

I have added a GPS unit (handy for a large like like St Clair) and 12v plug (cannot believe it did not come with one). I also replaced the prop. Went from a SS 14.25 x 23p to a SS 14 x 21p and love it. The issue with the 14.25 x 23p was it appeared to be over-propped with top speed coming at 4200-4400 RPM. The new prop has the same top speed but comes around 4800 RPM, right where it is supposed to be. The hole-shot is much improved as well. Plus it looks nice and shiny.

Meanwhile, here are a couple photos from this season:

Done for the day...

Our excited 6-year old, Bobby, waving to my in-laws on the boat (38' Carver) in the distance.

Bobby's first solo ride. He was content @ 2.5 mph when this pic was taken. Within an hour, he was going 15-20 mph!

Last edited by PlatinumGLS; 07-14-2014 at 02:57 PM.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      17 Alltrack 05 Dakota 91 318iC 89 325i 80 D150 SWB 76 Rabbit
      07-25-2014 12:20 PM #37
      Glad I came across this thread, great info in here!

Congrats Platinum on the new boat, it looks fantastic!

We're shopping for inboard ski boats in the $8k - $12k range.

Had a deal lined up on a Ski Nautique that fell through. Considering that we are half way through our boating season now I think we'll wait and try to find a great deal over the winter.

07-25-2014 12:52 PM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by PoorHouse View Post
      Glad I came across this thread, great info in here!

Congrats Platinum on the new boat, it looks fantastic!

We're shopping for inboard ski boats in the $8k - $12k range.

Had a deal lined up on a Ski Nautique that fell through. Considering that we are half way through our boating season now I think we'll wait and try to find a great deal over the winter.
      The time to look is NOW. Not when the boats are put away.

Owners are starting to think about winterization and storage costs - that means the time to bargain is from now to mid September. Plus, you never buy a boat without a sea trial, which is hard to do when the water is frozen.
      Matt

15. Member
      Vehicles
      07-25-2014 01:11 PM #39
      Good points on timing the search.

Will keep my eyes open from now through end of season.

Vehicles
      7.4, 6.4 & 5.7
      04-13-2015 02:18 PM #40

UPDATE - IF YOU CANNOT SEE THE PHOTOS, PLEASE READ:

Add-ons for Chrome and Firefox have been developed that allow you to see Photobucket photos. I am using it for Chrome and it works great.

Chrome: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...fegnfnflicjjgj

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...-embedded-fix/

Well, we upgraded sooner than I thought. A 2000 Cobalt 246 w/Merc 454 Magnum (385HP) and 319 hours. In my search, I could not find another Cobalt 246 with a 454 Magnum, the 7.4L MPI with 310HP was much more common. The 454 Magnum has forged internals vs cast for the standard 7.4L.

We made it home safe Saturday with our new boat and about 900 miles roundtrip to and from Western Maryland. Our 3- and 7-year-old sons were good on the trip as well. The seller was nice and he even took us out to dinner Friday night when we arrived in town.

He had new trailer tires installed, trailer bearings greased and even purchased spare wheel before we arrived. The sea trial was Saturday morning. About a week before, the forecast called for high-60’s but of course it was only 40 degrees on the lake the day of. Even with the cold, the sea trial was great and it really flew. The boat ran excellent and was in really good condition overall as described. Service techs gave it a thumbs up.

The only thing that is a bummer is the outdrive looks worse in person than it did in pictures. The anodes were good but the outdrive is pitted and missing some paint…I have noticed this more on Mercs than on Volvos. The boat did stay in the water a lot before but will never be in the water even over night when we use it. I am going to get some quotes on having it sanded and repainted (I am kind of OCD). The prop was in great shape though.

We spent a few hours doing a really deep inside the boat yesterday including taking out the snap in carpet and cleaning the floors. We are going to rent a steam cleaner to make the carpet look like new. I also added a spare wheel carrier from Harbor Freight.

The hull is just a bit hazy so I have a guy coming to my house tomorrow to give her a good rub/wax. Might have the engine compartment detailed too.

Last edited by PlatinumGLS; 09-28-2017 at 11:00 AM.

Vehicles
      7.4, 6.4 & 5.7
      04-14-2015 11:10 PM #41
      After a rub/wax and engine compartment detail...wish there was more sun so you can really see the shine...

18. Member
      Vehicles
      04-15-2015 08:46 PM #42
      looks good.

I like the color.

Vehicles
      7.4, 6.4 & 5.7
      04-16-2015 09:15 AM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by PoorHouse View Post
      looks good.

I like the color.
      Thank you. 2000 is the only year Cobalt offered it on the 246. People are going to start thinking green is my favorite color as both of my boats have been green.

I would have preferred blue but the blue one I found only had the 310 hp 7.4 MPI, did not look as well cared for and was twice as far away. The green looks really nice shined up though

Vehicles
      7.4, 6.4 & 5.7
      05-02-2015 05:10 PM #44
      Took the boat out for the first time today...

Last edited by PlatinumGLS; 07-10-2017 at 09:40 AM.

05-07-2015 04:24 PM #45
      Looking good, my friend! Have you had a chance to give her a proper WOT shakedown?
      Matt

Vehicles
      7.4, 6.4 & 5.7
      05-07-2015 05:03 PM #46
      Looking good, my friend! Have you had a chance to give her a proper WOT shakedown?
      Absolutely, two adults, two kids and 70 gallons of fuel she hit 55+ MPH without a problem (not GPS confirmed). I am sure she is good for 60+ with less fuel. I will be installing a GPS this weekend. I don't want to drill into the helm so I found some Ram Mount options that should work for the GPS instead.

All I have to do now is paint the outdrive. I am also looking into a a drive shower and proper Bimini top as it only has the convertible top that attaches to the windshield.

05-08-2015 10:25 AM #47
      For a Bimini, you might want to go to a canvas shop. It won't be cheap, but it will match the quality of the boat. YOu will want to use Ball and Socket hardware, and only stainless steel will do. For material, I recommend Sunbrella.

As far as painting the outdrive....well, good luck. I have yet to see a repaint job come out nice that was durable. As for drive showers, YES, when running a Merc, you need one. I recommend these guys:

http://www.driveshowers.com/

The Halo model is the one you want.
      Matt

Vehicles
      7.4, 6.4 & 5.7
      05-08-2015 10:44 AM #48
      For a Bimini, you might want to go to a canvas shop. It won't be cheap, but it will match the quality of the boat. YOu will want to use Ball and Socket hardware, and only stainless steel will do. For material, I recommend Sunbrella.

As far as painting the outdrive....well, good luck. I have yet to see a repaint job come out nice that was durable. As for drive showers, YES, when running a Merc, you need one. I recommend these guys:

http://www.driveshowers.com/

The Halo model is the one you want.
      I was pricing out a Sunbrella Bimini with stainless hardware and strut braces for about $600.

Not looking for a perfect job on the outdrive painting. Just a quick sanding, primer and paint. Being that my boat spends most of the time in rack storage I think it would be adequate and I am not adverse to touching it up when needed. I figure this route will be better than ignoring it. I will be keeping my eyes open for a great deal on a clean drive though.

The drive shower will happen this summer too.

A local guy builds outdrive jacks, so I picked one up for $275. Will make any outdrive maintenance that much easier as I read the Bravo 3 weighs in at around 175lbs +/-.

Vehicles
      7.4, 6.4 & 5.7
      05-08-2015 11:50 AM #49
      I just placed an order for a Sunbrella Bimini with stainless hardware and braces. Having a credit card is a dangerous thing...

05-08-2015 12:38 PM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by PlatinumGLS View Post
      I just placed an order for a Sunbrella Bimini with stainless hardware and braces. Having a credit card is a dangerous thing...
      Generic fit or custom?
      Matt

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast