VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

odometer / speedometer replacement gear for Audi 100, A6 (15 toothed)

15K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  cnv 
#1 · (Edited)
Brand new replacement planetary gear for your broken VDO odometer.
(details below)

$11 including shipping cost worldwide
(item is in Hungary, Europe, so shipping may take a while)

If you need more of these, you can calculate 6$/piece + 5$ shipping.
(for higher quantities, discount is available)

Compatible gear pods (12, 15, 16 or 17 toothed) are also available.
I make these as a one-piece mold, so they will never break:

You can easily get your stopped counters working again! Replacement manual linked at the bottom.

approx.dimensions of 15 tooth gear:
diameter: 6.9 mm
bore: 2 mm
height: 3.4 mm
gear thickness: 1.7 mm

These odometers/gears can be found in a number of vehicles from around late '80-s and the '90-s.

Some of these were:
Audi 100/A6 91-97 (15 tooth)
Audi 80 86-92 (15 tooth)
Audi 90 88-95 (15 or 20 tooth)
Audi 100/200 88-91 (15 or 16 tooth)

There were also a few off-topic car makes:
Lamborghini Diablo
Mercedes-Benz - S (140) 91-99
Mercedes-Benz - SL (129) 89-01
Porsche 911-964 89-93
Porsche 911-993 94-98
Porsche 968 92-95
Volvo 850 92-97

The list is incomplete, there are other cars that were also fitted with these.
Also, if your car is on the list, that does not mean 100% sure that it has a 15 tooth gear in it, due to manufacturing variations and aftermarket repairs.
The only sure way to tell is to pull the odometer apart.

It's not difficult, you can find a disassembly / gear replacement manual in english here:

cnv.hu - Fixing Audi odometer

Note:
This part is _not_ a factory original, it was precision made from durable, self lubricating plastic (Delrin), it will not break like the original one.

Good luck for the replacement!
Should you have any questions, don't hesitate to contact me...

For further prices and feedback on quality, please refer my eBay store:
http://stores.ebay.com/custom3dprintedparts

See less See more
#3 ·
Job done

Hi all
I ordered my gears from cnv a couple of weeks ago and received the items quickly. The installation was a smooth process and I now have a working odometer again!
If anyone has a broken odometer and is considering replacing the whole unit or even the display, (as I have done in the past) I would definitely recommend going down this route instead. No special skills required, just a half decent set of screwdrivers and some patience.
Thanks to cnv for his help and friendly service
HW

#6 · (Edited)
Indeed!
I do have the gears, and I can ship to Canada as well.
The price is the same, 11 USD including shipping, no matter wherever on the globe you are.

I also have the larger gear pod (the one that works together with this small gear).
There are 12, 15, 16, 17 toothed versions of it.
If yours looks worn or cracked, it might be a good idea to replace that as well.

I am talking about this part (shown the two gears together, the 12 and 15 toothed versions):

I also have manufacturing capability to make almost any small plastic parts, I am specialized to replace weak, worn, broken or simply unobtainable parts with new, better ones.
I can make even a single piece if needed.

If you need anything like that, please send me a PM.

#7 ·
I am further improving my manufacturing, and also broaden the product lineup.
Now I make odometer gears for almost any kind of cars, from Audi through Porche to Volvo.
Most of my gears are made of Delrin, a self lubricating, very tough plastic which will last forever.

If you need any kinds of plastic parts (not only odometer gears), just contact me : )

#8 ·
Is the odometer gear separate from speedometer gear? just asking because the post is confusing a little. I just have an inoperative odo.

#9 ·
Hi,

The odometer and speedometer function in these units are driven by the same integrated circuit (UAF 2115), but they are mechanically separated.
The speedometer does not contain any gears.
The odometer counters (daily and total) share a small stepper motor and a planetary gearset, that drives both counters at the same time.
If those counters stopped, while the speedometer is working, you most likely need one or two of these gears.
The tiny 15 toothed gear is almost always broken, but it's also worth inspecting the other part of the gearset (also called gear pod), because it's also prone to failure (used to break little later than the small gear).
It's best to disassemble the odometer, check what's inside, and then order spare parts if needed.
If I can be of any further help, please let me know.

Peter

#12 ·
Hi,
Sorry for the late reply, I have not received notification of your question.

For Audi 100 C4, the small gear is always the same 15 toothed one. (this is the most probable cause of the failure)
The other point of failure is the gear pod, which may be a 15 or 16 toothed small pod. They're equally frequent, sadly it's not possible to tell without disassembly.

If I can be of any further help, please let me know.

Peter

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.