Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Coolant leak?

Vehicles
      2016 VW GTI Autobahn - 6-Speed MT
      04-29-2019 02:55 PM #176
      Quote Originally Posted by Dominican1.8TGuy View Post
      My car has 38k on it and the CPO warranty covered the pump and thermostat housing.
      Thanks but my car isnít a CPO and it also has around 69k miles. Appreciate it though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2016 GTI Autobahn (PP, DCC, 6-Speed MT)
      [APR Stage 1 Tune][ECS Stage 2 Stick Shift Upgrade][034 DB Insert][Soundaktor Mute][Clutch Masters Stage 2 Clutch]

'16 GTI Build Album

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Vehicles
      1995 Ford Taurus SHO, 2002 Audi A6 Quattro Avant tiptonic, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SEL TSI automatic
      04-29-2019 04:28 PM #177
      Quote Originally Posted by dreamgt View Post
      So I called the dealership and the service rep told me that the he doesnít think the thermostat is covered under this warranty. He said heíd do some research and get back to me, but he had a point that a thermostat isnít really an emissions part. I also got in touch with VW customer care regarding this question and they said theyíd get back to me.

I donít understand it either but that is what customer care told me via email and the dealer agreed with it. Several states adopted Caliís emissions standards, thatís why my car in Wash DC is covered to 70k. Tapatalk inserted a pic in place of a link that i put in my reply. If you view this thread on the actual website youíll see my link, in that link I posted VWís reply.

I hope this works out for you.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      1995 Ford Taurus SHO, 2002 Audi A6 Quattro Avant tiptonic, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SEL TSI automatic
      04-29-2019 04:33 PM #178
      Iíll save you some clicking. Hereís the quote. "... the thermostat is protected against manufacturer shortcomings under the California Emissions Warranty for 7 years or 70,000 miles, whichever occurs first from the in-service date. As your Sportwagen was first and is currently registered in Washington DC, it qualifies for this warranty. If a VW dealer determines the thermostat needs to be replaced due to manufacturer shortcoming, the repairs should be at no cost to you.Ē

And here are the states that adopted Cali emissions warranty

California
      New Jersey
      Connecticut
      Washington
      Vermont
      New York
      Maine
      Rhode Island
      Massachusetts
      Oregon
      Pennsylvania
      Maryland
      ​Washington D.C.
      ​Delaware​​

Vehicles
      2016 VW GTI Autobahn - 6-Speed MT
      04-30-2019 02:03 PM #179
      Quote Originally Posted by itsstan View Post
      Iíll save you some clicking. Hereís the quote. "... the thermostat is protected against manufacturer shortcomings under the California Emissions Warranty for 7 years or 70,000 miles, whichever occurs first from the in-service date. As your Sportwagen was first and is currently registered in Washington DC, it qualifies for this warranty. If a VW dealer determines the thermostat needs to be replaced due to manufacturer shortcoming, the repairs should be at no cost to you.Ē

And here are the states that adopted Cali emissions warranty

California
      New Jersey
      Connecticut
      Washington
      Vermont
      New York
      Maine
      Rhode Island
      Massachusetts
      Oregon
      Pennsylvania
      Maryland
      ​Washington D.C.
      ​Delaware​​

Yea so, VW called me back today and informed that this part is not covered under the PZEV emissions warranty. So Iím not quite sure where youíre getting this information from. Iím sure there would be more people who have had similar experiences to yours online if it were true, since thousands of people seem to experience the problem with their water pumps leaking. If there was some official documentation that elaborated on this then that would be a different story, but telling them ďa user on vwvortex told me ...Ē isnít holding any ground .

2016 GTI Autobahn (PP, DCC, 6-Speed MT)
      [APR Stage 1 Tune][ECS Stage 2 Stick Shift Upgrade][034 DB Insert][Soundaktor Mute][Clutch Masters Stage 2 Clutch]

'16 GTI Build Album

6. Member
      Vehicles
      04-30-2019 04:20 PM #180
      Quote Originally Posted by dreamgt View Post
      Yea so, VW called me back today and informed that this part is not covered under the PZEV emissions warranty. So Iím not quite sure where youíre getting this information from. Iím sure there would be more people who have had similar experiences to yours online if it were true, since thousands of people seem to experience the problem with their water pumps leaking. If there was some official documentation that elaborated on this then that would be a different story, but telling them ďa user on vwvortex told me ...Ē isnít holding any ground . Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      I didn't say anything about a water pump. Maybe that's your issue? I also didn't say anything about a PZEV warranty which is 15yr/ 150k. The official document you may be seeking could be called Cali Emissions Warranites, which should have came with your car in the glovebox. I don't have the correct one for my car, it doesn't list my engine but it also doesn't list the word thermostat anywhere either. If you open that booklet you'll see that the VW Customer Care agent that i quoted was most likely talking about the 7yr/70K Long-term Emissions Defects Warranty since that's the only 7yr/70K warranty that's listed.

We're also talking about two different cars from two different years, my 2015 GSW and your 2016 GTI. I was thinking the warranty would be the same since the cars are so similar emissions wise and very little changed between the years.

Vehicles
      2015 VW GTI, 2007 VW GTI (sold), 2013 Infiniti G37x Sedan
      05-01-2019 01:06 AM #181
      Seems to be a common failure with this engine. Had a slight coolant smell and very small loss of coolant. Dealer pressure tested system and said the thermostat housing is leaking. Looks like many people are having the thermostat housing AND water pump replaced when this happens. Car is still under powertrain warranty, should I push to get them to approve the water pump replacement as well? Not sure how much I can really do, but I just don't want the water pump to fail soon thereafter...right out of warranty.
      Need VAG-COM work in CNY? PM me!

OEM+

8. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2017 GTI Sport DSG Uni Stage 1+
      05-02-2019 10:03 AM #182
      Quote Originally Posted by derekjl View Post
      Seems to be a common failure with this engine. Had a slight coolant smell and very small loss of coolant. Dealer pressure tested system and said the thermostat housing is leaking. Looks like many people are having the thermostat housing AND water pump replaced when this happens. Car is still under powertrain warranty, should I push to get them to approve the water pump replacement as well? Not sure how much I can really do, but I just don't want the water pump to fail soon thereafter...right out of warranty.
      I don't think it can hurt to ask. Simply state that you are aware that the pump is a common problem and it only makes sense to replace that too. Good luck.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      05-02-2019 10:16 AM #183
      Quote Originally Posted by GTI + View Post
      I don't think it can hurt to ask. Simply state that you are aware that the pump is a common problem and it only makes sense to replace that too. Good luck.
      I agree. When they were in there switching out my thermostat they also switched out the water pump without me saying a word. This was under the power train warranty. After you get your car back you might want to clean off any coolant residue to see if it comes back. VW repairs are covered for 12 months 12k mi.

Vehicles
      "16" Pure 2-door GTI "05" 1.8T 4-Motion Passat
      05-03-2019 02:13 PM #184
      I am also going to stop at the dealer this weekend and ask about the thermostat and water pump. For the past 500-1000 miles I've noticed wetness under the alternator on the lower cover once the car is turned off. I certainly hope they don't try and play games. I am going to try a different dealership that I bought it from since I have not had good luck with the one I purchased it from.

Vehicles
      2015 GTI | Autobahn | CSG | DSG | LP | OEM+
      05-03-2019 03:58 PM #185
      Quote Originally Posted by TrueGTI View Post
      I am also going to stop at the dealer this weekend and ask about the thermostat and water pump. For the past 500-1000 miles I've noticed wetness under the alternator on the lower cover once the car is turned off. I certainly hope they don't try and play games. I am going to try a different dealership that I bought it from since I have not had good luck with the one I purchased it from.
      If its under the alternator on the left, thats probably just condensation. A coolant leak would be more in the middle behind the radiator fan. Do you smell coolant? Also, can you dip a finger into the wetness you see? Coolant is more "oily" feeling than you might think.
      2015 GTI | Autobahn | CSG | DSG | LP | OEM+ | MTM | Delivered June 2, 2014

S F L M K 7 / / /

A D A M S H E I K H . C O M

Vehicles
      2015 VW GTI, 2007 VW GTI (sold), 2013 Infiniti G37x Sedan
      05-04-2019 05:06 AM #186
      Quote Originally Posted by itsstan View Post
      I agree. When they were in there switching out my thermostat they also switched out the water pump without me saying a word. This was under the power train warranty. After you get your car back you might want to clean off any coolant residue to see if it comes back. VW repairs are covered for 12 months 12k mi.

Update: email back from service advisor. States that VW will only replace the part that ďactively failedĒ, whatever that means. Iíve even offered to by the OEM water pump myself and pay whatever additional labor cost it would be while the other repair in the exact same location is being done. After the thermostat and housing are off its literally like 4 more bolts and the water pump is off. I can get the water pump for like $100 and the most it would be in additional labor is like $50. Going to talk to someone about it today as I need to bring my Atlas in for service. Itís probably just a matter of time before the water pump leaks too. So itís either spend $150 while everything is already apart, or $600 when it does finally fail, out of my own pocket.

Need VAG-COM work in CNY? PM me!

OEM+

13. Member
      Vehicles
      2017/VW/GTI
      12-04-2019 11:07 PM #187

I am planning to replace the thermostat housing and water pump in the 2017 since itís leaking coolant. Does anyone know the part numbers for the o rings (4) and connection piece (2) between the thermostat housing and the engine oil cooler?

Vehicles
      GTI
      12-05-2019 10:13 AM #188
      Quote Originally Posted by avs View Post

I am planning to replace the thermostat housing and water pump in the 2017 since itís leaking coolant. Does anyone know the part numbers for the o rings (4) and connection piece (2) between the thermostat housing and the engine oil cooler?
      Why not just go to the dealership and have them replace it? It's a known problem.

15. Member
      Vehicles
      2017/VW/GTI
      12-05-2019 10:59 AM #189
      Quote Originally Posted by EPilot View Post
      Why not just go to the dealership and have them replace it? It's a known problem.
      Itís out of warranty. ;(

16. 12-05-2019 11:05 AM #190
      If you donít get answer later on, I had this service done under warranty and have documents of the parts list. I will post it

17. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2016 VW GTI S
      12-05-2019 11:06 AM #191
      My coolant light came on and so checked my coolant level. It is pretty low and noticed it was a muddy green/orange (Colorblind, please forgive me) and not the pink/purple that it said it should be in the owners manual or online. Is this color good for me to keep and top off with OEM coolant and distilled water, complete flush or see a dealer?

Last edited by WindyBoi; 12-05-2019 at 11:16 AM.

18. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 GTI SE / 2019 e-Golf SE
      12-05-2019 11:45 AM #192
      It's low for sure but don't see any 'greens'. The reservoir is quite dirty to begin with so it's almost impossible to determine the color (shining the harsh flashlight from the camera directly into the container does not help). Try to extract some of the coolant with the syringe and assess under better lighting conditions. When topping off make sure you use the G13 fluid only, per manual.

19. Member
      Vehicles
      2017/VW/GTI
      12-05-2019 12:13 PM #193
      Quote Originally Posted by salvadorianboy View Post
      If you donít get answer later on, I had this service done under warranty and have documents of the parts list. I will post it

thanks!

Vehicles
      GTI
      12-05-2019 01:39 PM #194
      Quote Originally Posted by avs View Post
      Itís out of warranty. ;(
      How far out of warranty? There have been cases where they fix the car a little out of warranty.

21. Member
      Vehicles
      2017/VW/GTI
      12-05-2019 01:40 PM #195
      How far out of warranty? There have been cases where they fix the car a little out of warranty.
      Service time is about 36 months and mileage is at 71k miles.

Vehicles
      GTI
      12-05-2019 02:02 PM #196
      Quote Originally Posted by WindyBoi View Post
      My coolant light came on and so checked my coolant level. It is pretty low and noticed it was a muddy green/orange (Colorblind, please forgive me) and not the pink/purple that it said it should be in the owners manual or online. Is this color good for me to keep and top off with OEM coolant and distilled water, complete flush or see a dealer?
      Have you checked under the engine for leaks? You at the right time to have your thermostat housing start to leak.

23. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2016 VW GTI S
      12-05-2019 02:16 PM #197
      Have you checked under the engine for leaks? You at the right time to have your thermostat housing start to leak.
      No i have not, I can look tonight if it is. If I see any residue, Ill call the dealer to verify its still under warranty. I doubt it should be that low after 3 years and 34k miles.

Vehicles
      GTI
      12-05-2019 02:19 PM #198
      No i have not, I can look tonight if it is. If I see any residue, Ill call the dealer to verify its still under warranty. I doubt it should be that low after 3 years and 34k miles.
      Mine went all of a sudden too. One day it was fine and then the following week I was doing the oil change and saw all the dried up G13 residue. Replaced under warranty. That was at 50,000 miles.

25. Member
      Vehicles
      2017/VW/GTI
      12-05-2019 02:24 PM #199
      I think you should bring it to the dealership while youíre under warranty and have them do a pressure check on the coolant. If thereís a leak somewhere, they should be able to see it. I think the t-stat housing starts to leak around the high 40k miles mark. I noticed steam coming from under the hood after driving a long period of time after shutting down. Crawl under the car and look around the oil pan, if thereís a coolant leak you should be able to see white crusty mark near the oil pan. You can also look under the hood near the under body panel on the passenger side, you should be able to see coolant pooled on the panel after driving for a long period of time.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678