Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: My '70 German Look Ghia

Vehicles
      80 Rabbit(DEAD), 94 Golf, '69 Type1 Sedan
      06-11-2015 12:02 AM #76
      All I have to say is ....Wow. nice job.
      Tradition is the art of making the same mistake repeatedly, on purpose.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 06-17-2015 01:16 PM #77
      Sooooo, When having to redo the Kitchen and Family room, the wifie was looking at the Front/dining room and said "I JUST HATE HAVING CARPET IN HERE, let's put the tile in here too"....... So being the good husband, I put the tile in there..... and then I come yesterday and .. .. .. ..

a freaking $500 rug in the middle of the room WTF

Vehicles
      06-17-2015 01:24 PM #78
      RUG, not carpet....LOL. Was prolly on sale too.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. 06-18-2015 02:18 PM #79
      The Ghia might get a room mate -- went and looked at this this morning

Vehicles
      '82 Rabbit Pickup / '11 Golf TDI
      06-18-2015 07:26 PM #80

That's a sweet little ride right there. What would you do with it?

8. 06-19-2015 02:47 AM #81
      Just a cool cruiser -- probably back half it with ACVW trans and engine -- I've got a 2332 laying around, just would need a T1 trans something like I did on my blue 600

Last edited by Fiatdude; 06-19-2015 at 02:52 AM.

06-20-2015 06:36 PM #82
      Fiat, is it me or has TS and STF damn near died recently? SOrry to go off topic I just know you're over there too.

10. 06-21-2015 06:51 PM #83
      There has been different forums where all the high performance guys use to hide out ---- Brian Watts just tried to get all the "big racer boys" to move to xtremeflat4.com -- another web site he started after he sold Ultimateaircooled.com -- But I'm thinking facebook has robbed almost all the membership from the different forums --- there are several pages there where "the guys" hang out -- -- All the Europeans are hanging out at www.cal-look.no/lounge/ --

I HATE FACEBOOK so I'm doomed to roam the forums for eternity LOL
      Last edited by Fiatdude; 06-21-2015 at 06:59 PM.

06-21-2015 07:44 PM #84
      I'm with you I can't stand facebook either. I have noticed all the forums going dead. Its a sad day.

12. 06-21-2015 10:32 PM #85
      I'm in total agreement -- Just noticed that German-look.com has went off line --

There are so many really cool builds on there and now they maybe lost forever and that is what really gets to me --

one of bad things about the digital age, it only takes a second to delete it all

13. 07-07-2015 04:16 PM #86
      So way back in November of last year, there was that thing going around where California was going to reissue Black and Yellow plates for cars up until 1969 -- Well, my '70 Ghia was manufactured and sold in late '69, so I thought I'd give it a shot and mailed my documentation in -- It has been so long I had forgotten about it in fact --

And then today in the mail, -- -- -- Oh happy day

14. 07-17-2015 07:13 PM #87
      I'm STILL working on the AEM EMS4 install -- the engine compartment wiring is done -- so mainly it is bringing all the wires together into one big bundle that doesn't hurt my eyes -- just decided to do a speed sensor, so the sensor should be here middle of next week,,,,

OH CRAP, it's coming UPS,,,, who the hell knows when it will get here

Oh Well, I've been cleaning up all the wiring as I go along, so there is a lot of 2 steps forward and one step back chit.... I just installed new positive and negative cables from the back of the car up to battery in the front.... Been thinking about installing a new starter when I get under the car to put in the speed sensor and connect the new positive to the starter -- --

I'm too frigging BIG to start with and now I'm getting to frigging old and blind to be snaking my big azz through this cage to get to chit I tell you LOL

Vehicles
      07-18-2015 08:13 PM #88
      So much for a carb or two and a few wires to get power to fuel pump(if needed) and the power to the coil. LOL Looks like you have it under control or it has you under control, but the panel is always a good way to help keep things organized. I found when I updated/cleaned up my MS1 install with a similar sort of panel things got much better. I got completely away from any stock wiring, except for the sw 12vdc from the ign sw and I was virtually trouble free. GL
      Last edited by ps2375; 07-18-2015 at 08:20 PM.

16. Member
      07-19-2015 06:50 AM #89

Quote Originally Posted by Fiatdude View Post
      I'm STILL working on the AEM EMS4 install -- the engine compartment wiring is done -- so mainly it is bringing all the wires together into one big bundle that doesn't hurt my eyes -- just decided to do a speed sensor, so the sensor should be here middle of next week,,,,

OH CRAP, it's coming UPS,,,, who the hell knows when it will get here

Oh Well, I've been cleaning up all the wiring as I go along, so there is a lot of 2 steps forward and one step back chit.... I just installed new positive and negative cables from the back of the car up to battery in the front.... Been thinking about installing a new starter when I get under the car to put in the speed sensor and connect the new positive to the starter -- --

I'm too frigging BIG to start with and now I'm getting to frigging old and blind to be snaking my big azz through this cage to get to chit I tell you LOL

Hi dude ,
      This is gonna seem obscure

but wouldn't 5 common/ground wires with separate 5 yellow spade connectors stacked on top of each other be less electrically efficient than all wires merged/soldered into a solid single spade? https://www.google.com/#q=multiple+e...ked+resistance
      https://www.google.com/#q=best+electrical+gang+ground
      https://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en#h...round+problems

Up front I'm not really a fan of electrical/electronic controls other than basic get power from here to there, so I'm biased against complicated $pendy buzzers & whistles.

17. 07-22-2015 12:59 PM #90
      Well, a lot on my plate today -- LOL -- Last night decided to run the oil lines down the tunnel and also put in a new starter and do the associated wiring with that chore -- -- So I had a choice of 2 starters setting on the shelf a new 16300, which is the auto-shift starter that I love in almost any situation, and an almost new Hi-Torque starter -- -- I decided to use the Hi-Torque and then remembered it was a IMI105 which is for use on a 6 volt flywheel -- damn -- Then I remembered a friend who was a neighbor of Chris Isom on of the owners of Hi-Torque, so I called my buddy who called Chris and Chris was nice enough to talk to me about what needed to be done -- seems as if they are both the same starter except for the pinion gear is bigger for the 6v flywheel -- so for $15 I got a kit to change over the gears. -- That little clip is a mother to get off and even harder to put back on LOL -- I must of had it spring off 5 -10 times while trying to get it on -- that little bastard is hard to find too LOL

with old gear removed and ready for new gear install--

old gear and new gear kit on left--

I'll need to orient the starter since it was last on the Porsche 901, but that is just R&R 2 bolts -- --

but before I do that -- I have to take the cat ((a few of you remember THE CAT)) to the vet to have her ANAL GLANDS expressed -- -- OH Joy!!!!!

18. Member
      Vehicles
      VW/Audi
      09-02-2015 01:37 PM #91
      I need that table

19. 09-16-2015 03:16 PM #92
      This is freaking embarrassing -- -- Just figured out that this is the first time this year the car has been out of the garage --

Oh Well, -- It's at least back together, just waiting on the tuner -- --

Vehicles
      2009 jetta s, 1974 standard beetle
      09-16-2015 06:05 PM #93
      <3 it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using Tapatalk

21. 09-24-2015 10:53 PM #94
      I'd love to have huge(r) tires under the Ghia -- -- But I can't bring myself to do any cutting to the body, I just think the stock lines are beautiful -- I can't even do this to it

I could do a 3" Torsion narrowing and go that route, but it would require a lot of "redo" to my cage as it is mounted to the outside of the torsion tubes..........

And then I find this build ------

http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/1...d-Sema-Project

I just think all the 'hacking' done to this body is just crazy -- -- It will be badass when done but .. .. .. ... ..

Last edited by Fiatdude; 09-24-2015 at 10:59 PM.

22. 09-26-2015 12:59 PM #95
      My Son bought me a new key ring for the Ghia -- Does he know something I don't????

Vehicles
      09-26-2015 08:13 PM #96
      Hopefully not, but kinda cool.

24. Member
      09-26-2015 11:58 PM #97

My Son bought me a new key ring for the Ghia -- Does he know something I don't????

Quote Originally Posted by ps2375 View Post
      Hopefully not, but kinda cool.
      https://www.google.com/#q=vw+ejection+seat
      https://www.google.com/#q=wife+ejection+seat

25. Member
      09-27-2015 12:50 AM #98

Sooooo, When having to redo the Kitchen and Family room, the wifie was looking at the Front/dining room and said "I JUST HATE HAVING CARPET IN HERE, let's put the tile in here too"....... So being the good husband, I put the tile in there..... and then I come home yesterday and .. .. .. ..

a freaking $500 rug in the middle of the room WTF
      Hi dude ,
      Looking like a https://www.google.com/search?q=will...ulwLK&dpr=0.94 .

The Ghia might get a room mate -- went and looked at this this morning
      Quote Originally Posted by Blu_Hare View Post

That's a sweet little ride right there. What would you do with it?
      Just a cool cruiser -- probably back half it with ACVW trans and engine -- I've got a 2332 laying around, just would need a T1 trans something like I did on my blue 600

Well, only 2 people can realistically, actually fit into it, so I was thinkin' along the lines of https://www.google.com/#q=mid+engine+vw
      https://www.google.com/#q=mid+engine+vw+powered+fiat .

Just gettin' caught up & throwin' ideas out there .

26. 10-11-2015 05:08 AM #99
      Got to talk and hang out with Finnegan and Freiburger for about a hour today at the Optima Challenge --

They were working on a yellow Mazda rotary pickup with a 455 front engine Olds mounted in the bed -- they bought it from a guy who claimed it was a 10 sec car -- must of been timed in the 100 foot, cause it was a dog LOL

I didn't have much to offer them as far as help or suggestions, BUT they had some very nice eye candy hanging around them and it made walking away very VERY difficult LMAO

Did get a cool sticker -- Had volunteered to help doing the Tech-in early this am (before it got into the 100's) and the guy making the stickers messed up as it was suppose to be intermediate, so I took the damn thing LOL -- don't know if it should go on the Ghia or the tool box -- probably be the tool box

27. 10-22-2015 11:33 PM #100
      SO -- -- About December 15th I had the engine out and got the trans back from Benco -- I reinstalled the engine did some upgrades, and started putting everything back together

Immediately, I started having EFI problems -- turn on master power -- Electromotive EFI would come on run all the prestart stuff, hit start, engine would run for 20-30 seconds and shut off -- -- -- I would turn off the 'key', turn on the 'key' -- nothing -- kill the master power everything would repeat, engine would run, shut off, again everything dead

Holy crap I was vexed,,,,, so I sent the box back to Electromotive,, came back,, still the same thing,,, sent the box back and they sent me a new one as a replacement...... By this time I was pissed and I had the AEM setting on the shelf, so I started the AEM install -- -- So flash forward until this month and I had finally finished the install (OK, OK , I know I'm slow, but I was just frustrated with everything) I took the Ghia over the WesTech in Mira Loma to double check everything I had done on the install of the AEM and for them to tune the damn thing......

So I get a call from Eric @ WesTech last Friday, the Damn AEM is doing the same freaking thing, turn on main power, turn the 'key' on -- it would cycle thru everything perfectly, turn the 'key' off, turn 'key' back on -- -- box is all pissed off -- turn main power off/on -- start over, it work once then fail.....

WTF is going on???????????

I am Stumped -- I had gone through the wiring twice during the install checking everything -- -- I really dwelling on this thinking, thinking............ I'm thinking that the ARC switches is letting a small of current to flow through when the 'key' is off, not letting the memory clear for a clean restart...... Nah!! how can that happen through the relays......

SOOOO, I'm in bed Saturday night at about 11:30, almost asleep, when it hits me, The freaking alternator has a bad diode in it and letting current bleed through -- -- Hmmmm just might be it...

Monday night after work, I swing by WesTech, walk over to the Ghia, pull the exciter wire off the alternator.... SHAZAMMMM, freaking problem disappears -- -- 10 DAM months working on this thing and it was just a bad freaking Alternator from the very beginning...... who would of thunk it.......................................

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast