VWVortex.com - Installing Alpine ILX-007 CarPlay head unit into the TT + custom ashtray dock for iPhone 6
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Installing Alpine ILX-007 CarPlay head unit into the TT + custom ashtray dock for iPhone 6

1. 05-03-2015 12:20 AM #26
      Awesome write up and installation! 3D printing is becoming a game changer in many different ways.

I am not personally sold on headunits which require a phone at all times. I assume the answer is to purchase mobile mapping SW which includes maps stored locally. Google Maps caching could be a short term solution as well, as long as one remembers to sync the map area in which you will be driving, before heading out on the drive.

Standalone vs 'smarter' headunits is a matter of personal opinion of course. Your installation is great and offering the iPhone ashtray replacement holders for order is fabulous. Thank you for your contributions to the TT-RS community!
      SOLD - 2012 Audi TT-RS: Stage 2 United Motorsports Tune; lot's of parts from 034 Motorsports inc: carbon fibre intake, engine/trans mounts, RSB, RSB end links, downpipe, and mid-pipe; Borla cat back; H&R Sport springs (for now); Rotiform Forged Mono-block KPS wheels, fully polished 19x9.5 ET50
      Sponsored by Cedar Performance www.cedarperformance.com

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. n00b
      Vehicles
      2009 Audi TT Quattro
      05-03-2015 12:21 AM #27
      Thanks,
      I think I will order the ashtray piece. I usually have a very thin case on my iphone 6, what is the tolerance like for the iphone dock slot?

How did you route the usb cord to the ashtray?
      I haven't seen any good tutorials/vids about removing the climate control panel below the HU.

Also, I am afraid I will encounter the same Bose Amp issue after successful install. Was this a common issue with the 2009 -2010 tt?
      Im installing in a 2009 TT Quattro prestige with Bose and RNS-e

Don't have a vag-com ...or a PC for that matter...

4. n00b
      Vehicles
      2009 Audi TT Quattro
      05-03-2015 01:18 AM #28
      this helped me visualize the install a bit

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      2012 Audi TT RS [prev: 2008 R32 #3603/5000]
      05-03-2015 03:55 AM #29
      Another wire worth taking note of is the remote-mute wire... You can tie radar detectors into this and they will mute the radio when they alert. Great for hearing the alert when you have your music cranked.
      ["OG" Mk5 R32 Club Member 5/3/2008-5/4/2015] Traded [PARTOUT HERE] --> [2012 Sepang Blue TT RS] Traded --> 2018 Long Beach Blue BMW M2
      I'm a tech nerd and radar/lidar countermeasure enthusiast. I like track days, autocross, and US Highway 129. I love aural pleasure.
      WitW || I UM || PerformanceLEDs FTW

7. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2010 Audi TT
      05-03-2015 11:03 AM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by ericnetsch View Post
      Thanks,
      I think I will order the ashtray piece. I usually have a very thin case on my iphone 6, what is the tolerance like for the iphone dock slot?
      The standard version of the iPhone 6 dock may not fit, cause the slit is very tightly adjusted. Go for the other version I made especially for iPhone 6 with case (it has been made for the Apple leather case initially) which adds about 1.5 mm around the iPhone to accommodate most thin cases. Audi TT ashtray dock for iPhone 6 with case: http://shpws.me/GXv8

How did you route the usb cord to the ashtray?
      I haven't seen any good tutorials/vids about removing the climate control panel below the HU.
      You don't. Let the climate control panel where it sits. You can access the place below the ashtray up to the center console behind the head unit, with the help of a flexible wire. You attach the Apple USB cable to that wire and you pull it up.

Also, I am afraid I will encounter the same Bose Amp issue after successful install. Was this a common issue with the 2009 -2010 tt?
      Im installing in a 2009 TT Quattro prestige with Bose and RNS-e

Don't have a vag-com ...or a PC for that matter...
      If you encounter this problem, maybe you can find someone in you area that has the VAGCOM cable and the PC software on a laptop? If you have a Mac, the VAGCOM software works in Windows installed in Boot Camp or a VM software like VMWARE Fusion or Parallels Desktop. Or maybe you could ask your Audi dealer, they can change settings too.

Anyway, if you buy your interfaces at Enfig, drop a line to Christian and insist that the digital turn on is absolutely mandatory for your car. I think that despite having ticked the option when I ordered all the stuff, I may have gotten a new prototype cable for ILX-007 that actually didn't had the mandatory digital turn on module, cause Enfig chose to remove their classical DTO interface and upgrade it at no cost to the new PAC SWI CP5 instead. I think Christian may have resolved that issue since. Just ask him.

this helped me visualize the install a bit
      Thanks for the neat drawing

8. n00b
      Vehicles
      2009 Audi TT Quattro
      05-03-2015 05:41 PM #31
      Thanks , thanks , and thanks.

Well looks like I got everything I need. Lot of parts for this install..phweew Going to be like christmas when all the parts show up to my office.

Just ordered the shapeways doc for the case fitted iphone6. I hope it fits my phone. I guess worst comes to worst, I can remove the case and still use the doc as normal ,maybe add some padding.

I just contacted enfig about the digital turn on harness issue. Hoping they resolved that. Thinking it would be a miracle if everything works 100% out of the box. keeping my fingers crossed.

One more n00b question. Did you unplug your battery leads during the install? or just turn the key to off position while installing everything?

Cheers,

9. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2010 Audi TT
      05-03-2015 05:43 PM #32
      Thanks , thanks , and thanks.
      Did you unplug your battery leads during the install? or just turn the key to off position while installing everything?
      I didn't unplugged the battery but it's better to do it

10. n00b
      Vehicles
      2009 Audi TT Quattro
      05-04-2015 08:01 PM #33

Anyway, if you buy your interfaces at Enfig, drop a line to Christian and insist that the digital turn on is absolutely mandatory for your car. I think that despite having ticked the option when I ordered all the stuff, I may have gotten a new prototype cable for ILX-007 that actually didn't had the mandatory digital turn on module, cause Enfig chose to remove their classical DTO interface and upgrade it at no cost to the new PAC SWI CP5 instead. I think Christian may have resolved that issue since. Just ask him.
      This was confirmed by Christian at Enfig that you did not have the digital turn-on in your install.

11. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      TT RS -10
      05-05-2015 11:24 AM #34
      I am definitely doing some thing like this to my TT Rs when wireless airplay comes out
      Audi TT RS Manual 2010 Sepang Blue - With a few mods

Vehicles
      05-06-2015 12:29 AM #35
      Any chance you could create a version of the ashtray dock that will hold an iPhone 6 in the factory Apple leather case? I can understand not wanting to design for all of the cases / etc, but designing for the "oem case" seems like a fairly safe bet.

I don't even think I'd hook it up to the head unit - I don't want my phone to be mandatory for function, and I put my music on a USB stick. I just want it for a place to store / dock the phone and connect it to power while in the car, it seems like a good idea for that as long as you don't actively need the screen while driving.
      ["OG" Mk5 R32 Club Member 5/3/2008-5/4/2015] Traded [PARTOUT HERE] --> [2012 Sepang Blue TT RS] Traded --> 2018 Long Beach Blue BMW M2
      I'm a tech nerd and radar/lidar countermeasure enthusiast. I like track days, autocross, and US Highway 129. I love aural pleasure.

13. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2010 Audi TT
      05-06-2015 05:30 AM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by ZPrime View Post
      Any chance you could create a version of the ashtray dock that will hold an iPhone 6 in the factory Apple leather case? I can understand not wanting to design for all of the cases / etc, but designing for the "oem case" seems like a fairly safe bet.
      Yes, I've already designed this one as explained in post #30. The dock for iPhone 6 with Apple leather case is here: http://shpws.me/GXv8

14. n00b
      Vehicles
      2009 Audi TT Quattro
      05-10-2015 12:44 AM #37
      Just made my own audi tt opening screen for my TT's alpine.
      Feel free to reuse.
      download here

15. 06-13-2015 06:17 PM #38
      hi guys joined just to share a tip i found with this setup

if you drill a hole as below you can use the ashtray light to illuminate the dock

this is my setup i love it thanks for the dock mate

16. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2010 Audi TT
      06-14-2015 07:27 PM #39
      Nice improved hack jadlad

17. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2010 Jetta TDI
      07-12-2015 11:14 PM #40
      Can you run this threw the factory Bluetooth, so you can use the same mic and stuff like that? And how are the steering wheel control kits threw crutch field compared to the programable ones?

18. 07-20-2015 12:57 AM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by flux_capacitor View Post
      And here you can see the original Alpine splash screen:

Here is the file openingfile.bmp (BMP image, 800 × 480 pixels). If you want to make you own custom one, please be aware you must first build it at 872 × 480 pixels (1.09 anamorphic aspect ratio D1/DV PAL) in indexed colors with a perceptual master palette, before exporting it at 800 × 480 resolution. You can change the default opening image as explained page 21 of ILX-007 owner's manual:

Enjoy!

I'm curious what software program you used to create the image. I only have MS Paint available to me... which doesn't have the options you outlined above. I keep receiving the “Connected USB device is not supported” error... which I understand can also mean there is an issue with the image I am trying to use.

Many thanks,

Rich

19. 03-19-2016 04:54 AM #42
      Excellent write up! I used much of this information when recently installing my new ILX-007 into my Ford Escape. I however ran into a couple problems, particularly with the USB. I as well tried to use a USB Splitter that lead to a dock and a port much like you used. I purchased the splitter (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o02_s00) , dock (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01...ilpage_o02_s00) , and the port (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o02_s00). I used these particular items because they all supported data transfer as opposed to several that I found that only supported charging.

I disassembled the dock and mounted it into my ashtray, took out the cigarette lighter and placed the port in the hole. Wired everything up securely, finally got the head unit installed. It was a wonderful successful install and I was so happy with everything..... then I turned on the car. "USB device is not supported"...

I took out the splitter and tried to just use the dock directly, same message.....

Then I tried to just use the port connected directly to the head unit..... same thing.

The only way I could get my phone to connect to the stereo was to use just the standard iPhone lightning cable right into the head unit. Do you or does anyone seem to know why? Also, if it's something wrong with the items that I purchased, could someone please lead me in the direction to the right items for me to purchase. I live in the USA so I'm not looking to buy the items you linked that you used due to overseas shipping. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Vehicles
      03-29-2016 02:56 AM #43
      ^^ a bit offtopic since you're talking about a Ford on a VW/Audi forum...

The "splitter" is a USB hub. Not all radios will accept a USB hub. The little 2-port "splitter" that the OP used here is also a hub, but it's only a 2-port hub (although this shouldn't generally matter).

Why your dock connected directly to the radio didn't work is beyond me (because it should if it's passing the data lines through correctly). Same goes for the "port" you used - that's just a dumb no-electronics USB extension cable which definitely shouldn't matter.

21. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2013 Audi TT RS
      03-29-2016 05:36 PM #44
      A normal usb 2.0 port is supposed to support 500mA. There's lots of devices that might not be up to spec, but you can use any self power hub (powered separately) and not have to worry about an under-powered port. If the hub took 12V as it's input power, all you'd need to do was power it with the cars switched 12V (so it's not on 24/7).

Something like this http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-P.../dp/B00DQFGH80 has a 5V input, so you'd need to find a 5V source in the car, or use a voltage regulator to step 12V down to 5V. But there are some hubs out that that have a 12V rated input voltage that would be good for installing in a car, you just have to do a little searching and find one in the form factor that works for you.

Vehicles
      03-30-2016 03:06 AM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by Luxferro View Post
      A normal usb 2.0 port is supposed to support 500mA. There's lots of devices that might not be up to spec, but you can use any self power hub (powered separately) and not have to worry about an under-powered port. If the hub took 12V as it's input power, all you'd need to do was power it with the cars switched 12V (so it's not on 24/7).

Something like this http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-P.../dp/B00DQFGH80 has a 5V input, so you'd need to find a 5V source in the car, or use a voltage regulator to step 12V down to 5V. But there are some hubs out that that have a 12V rated input voltage that would be good for installing in a car, you just have to do a little searching and find one in the form factor that works for you.
      The problem isn't necessarily power draw but one of software support inside the headunit itself. It's only designed to support USB devices of classes X & Y (e.g. iphone and mass storage device) and simply doesn't know WTF to do with a hub.

I've been somewhat annoyed by this problem for quite a while. The best option is a MANUAL USB "Switch" so you can run a cable to two different locations and flip a switch / push a button to toggle between which one of those cables is actually attached to the head unit.

My current Pioneer unit has a pair of USB inputs which is great, but if you want to use Android Auto vs. Apple Carplay, you have to use specific ports. So if you wire up one port in the glove box and the other to the front near where a phone mount would go, and then you later switch from Android to iOS, you have to pull the radio back out and switch which USB extension is plugged into Port A vs. Port B.

It's really consumer-unfriendly.

Then there's alpine who just give you a single port. What if you want your phone but also want a USB stick full of tunes? Alpine would have you go pound sand. (Or, fill your phone with your tunes, but then you're stuck fighting with ****ty iTunes to load music on it instead of being able to just drag and drop files to a drive in whatever folder tree you prefer.)

My biggest gripe with the whole iTunes paradigm is that it doesn't offer you the ability to sort a given artist's albums by release date. Nope, you get them alphabetically, so if you don't remember the name of the album but just remember it was "two albums ago," you're screwed. Super annoying, if you're a person who still prefers to listen to an album at a time instead of the shuffle garbage that all the kids do today.

23. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2013 Audi TT RS
      03-30-2016 12:13 PM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by ZPrime View Post
      The problem isn't necessarily power draw but one of software support inside the headunit itself. It's only designed to support USB devices of classes X & Y (e.g. iphone and mass storage device) and simply doesn't know WTF to do with a hub.

I've been somewhat annoyed by this problem for quite a while. The best option is a MANUAL USB "Switch" so you can run a cable to two different locations and flip a switch / push a button to toggle between which one of those cables is actually attached to the head unit.

My current Pioneer unit has a pair of USB inputs which is great, but if you want to use Android Auto vs. Apple Carplay, you have to use specific ports. So if you wire up one port in the glove box and the other to the front near where a phone mount would go, and then you later switch from Android to iOS, you have to pull the radio back out and switch which USB extension is plugged into Port A vs. Port B.

It's really consumer-unfriendly.

Then there's alpine who just give you a single port. What if you want your phone but also want a USB stick full of tunes? Alpine would have you go pound sand. (Or, fill your phone with your tunes, but then you're stuck fighting with ****ty iTunes to load music on it instead of being able to just drag and drop files to a drive in whatever folder tree you prefer.)

My biggest gripe with the whole iTunes paradigm is that it doesn't offer you the ability to sort a given artist's albums by release date. Nope, you get them alphabetically, so if you don't remember the name of the album but just remember it was "two albums ago," you're screwed. Super annoying, if you're a person who still prefers to listen to an album at a time instead of the shuffle garbage that all the kids do today.
      I just bought one of those Chinese Android OS stereos: http://www.ugsage.com/default/7-andr...di-tt-mk2.html
      I plan to initially just test everything outside of the car w/ a power supply and a couple speakers. If I like it, I'll go through the trouble to installing it. I bought it for Android, and being able to do whatever the hell I want to do with it - root it, modify stuff, customize, ect.

Any unit shouldn't need to know anything about a hub, it should just work - hubs don't have drivers, ect. The only way it wouldn't work is if the manufacturer did something to prohibit it, so they can only make it talk to their own devices, or specific devices. All usb devices have a VID and PID, that identifies the Vendor, and Product. So technically they could filter out all devices that don't have specific VID/PID's. It's pretty crappy if they do that.

Vehicles
      03-30-2016 08:01 PM #47
      Again, it all depends on the OS in the device. Older versions of Android didn't support hubs. Hubs *do* have a generic driver (that all hubs share). If that generic USB hub driver is omitted from the system, no hub will work.

Alternatively, it's possible for the hub itself to be functional, but for the radio to not know what to do if it sees more than one USB drive / media device. If the radio's setup to only have one "USB input" and it suddenly is able to see two USB drives simultaneously, how does it know which one to display / access? You get "unexpected behavior" which often means you see only one device that might randomly change after a reboot/power cycle, or you see no devices at all.

I like the idea of the Android Chinese knockoff units, but I don't like that they can't use SiriusXM (short of through an app which will chew cellular data). They also tend to come with the cheapest crappiest offline map app that they can find; you can replace this because Android is cool, but they never seem to have quite the same level of polish as you can get from one of the big-name stereos. I wish Garmin would put out their own map app, because that + cheapo Android radio would be really nice. The other problem I have with the Android garbage is that the Chinese OEMs cut corners all over the place, so they only get 512MB-1GB of RAM and run slow, and they use crappy flash so they boot slow, etc.

I'm looking at one of Alpine's new 8" units -- they sell a facia kit in Europe to drop the 8" unit into a TT. The huge screen is very enticing.

25. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2013 Audi TT RS
      03-31-2016 10:19 AM #48
      Kinda true (IMO), but: Modern Android devices can work as both a client (the device), or the host (where you plug in the device - flash drive, mouse, keyboard, ect). Older Android devices didn't have usb OTG, or host mode, they only worked as clients. When a device can support both modes (client/host), if the USB ID pin is pulled low, it puts the device into host mode. Newer OTG implications use resistor values on the ID pin to ground to change it to different modes.

I suppose technically there are generic drivers for hubs, but pretty much any proper usb host device supports hubs, and generic HID devices (mice, keyboards, ect). But you are right about the HU that has a dedicated usb ports for android auto/apple car play. They likely did that to make it easier for them to develop. But they could have done it right... they just took a shortcut.

I wouldn't really call the chinese HUs knockoffs, because (alpine, kenwood, pioneer, clarion, ect) don't make HUs that run android as the OS. They are more like pioneers There have been maybe 2 android HUs from known brands, and they ran android 2.3 Parrot was developing a really nice one (http://blog.parrot.com/2015/01/05/ce...inment-system/), that I had planned to buy, but then the scrapped it saying it would be too difficult to support all the in-car functions, as a consumer device

If/when I actually install mine, I'll be using either google maps or waze for navigation. I made a tasker profile on my nexus 6p that will automatically turn my phone into a wifi hotspot as soon as it connects to my cars bluetooth. Then the android HU will connect to my phone for it's internet connection. The profile changes everything back to normal at disconnect. I guess I'll look into something to use for offline as well, for when there is no cell reception.

edit: My HU was delivered today. Been playing with it for the last couple hours. Hubs, usb cameras, flash drives, keyboards, mice, and even my wireless xbox 360 controller usb dongle works
      Last edited by Luxferro; 03-31-2016 at 11:20 PM.

26. 06-14-2016 03:38 AM #49
      Hi, I'm thinking about buying Alpine ILX-007 and I have a few questions. Can someone that has already used it answer to any of them?

- Is it possible to configure the steering wheel Speak button to Launch the Siri voice commands, as well as to make and end a call?
      - is there any information available in the driver information system (DIS), like the track name, radio station, incoming call name/number...
      - Does the alpine display show information of the parking rear sensor?

thank you

27. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2010 Audi TT
      09-08-2016 07:49 AM #50
      Hi guys! I edited the thread to show the Audi TT ashtray dock is also compatible with iPhone SE and iPhone 7 (still no possibility for Plus models because those bigger iPhones are wider than the ashtray).
      Cheers!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast