VWVortex.com - Installing Alpine ILX-007 CarPlay head unit into the TT + custom ashtray dock for iPhone 6
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Installing Alpine ILX-007 CarPlay head unit into the TT + custom ashtray dock for iPhone 6

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2003 Passat Gls 1.8t, 2000 VW GTI 12v VRT , Mk2 Jetta Diesel, Mk2 Golf Vr6, Mk2 GTI VRT
      11-02-2016 03:40 PM #51
      Is there anyway to make the dock diagonal to allow more room for a 7 plus?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 02-10-2017 05:22 AM #52
      I had it before . Lasts for about a year, then the buttons along the bottom stopped working correctly, and Last month on the drive home the screen went from normal, to having one half of it red, the other half was green and lines through both that had other colors, you could barely see the normal screen image in the background, but it faded away after about a minute, and nothing works on the radio anymore.

For the price this thing should have been rock solid, and lasted the life of the vehicle, i have had much cheaper car radios in the past that are still going strong . Now I have PIONEER AVH-X5700BHS . This is definitely one of the top of the line touch screen car audio products from Pioneer. They have done a great job with this car audio unit and pretty much everyone who buys it also raves about. We here were certainly impressed too.
      When connected to the Bluetooth or an iPhone the communication between the device and the car stereo is very good. This is one of the more expensive touch screen car stereo units on our list but I think it is worth every penny.
      It’s a very affordable unit for all that it gives you. It has an excellent two camera system built into it including a backup camera that works great. Being able to adjust the colors on the main theme of the display was a nice touch too. This is one of the better anti-glare screens on any of the touch screen car audio products.

4. 04-24-2017 03:56 AM #53
      That is a great setup Flux. I especially like your discrete phone dock. I know this is now quite an old post but do you know if there is anything similar for the A3 (2012)? Instead of the ashtray I also wondered about putting a dock in the section adjacent to the handbrake - there certainly looks like there would be room beneath the console, if you cut through the bottom of that tray (I certainly don't need the Aux point and can likely live without the cigarette lighter to:

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2010 Audi TT
      02-03-2019 12:26 PM #54
      ANNOUNCEMENT: New 2019 CarPlay docks for Audi TT Mk2 available!

Many changes, including the much awaited compatibility with iPhone 8, and especially newest iPhone X and XS
      Docks for iPhone 5/5s/SE and iPhone 6/6s/7/8 + protective case have also been updated with new features detailed below.

All CarPlay docks are now sold at a base price of $89.00. You may notice that selling price appears at first a few bucks more expensive than the previous version, but it is not. It is actually way CHEAPER as the former dock needed an old & expensive ($29) Apple 30-pin to Lightning adapter (now discontinued) glued to the dock (as well as an old Apple 30-pin to USB cable). 2019 docks only require this inexpensive 90° Lightning adapter and any Lightning to USB cable, 4-feet (1m) long minimum.

All 2019 docks also integrate jadlad's clever hack (thanks dude!) using the built-in ashtray light to illuminate the dock from within. Moreover, no more issues with automatic gearbox put in park, as the insertion angle is different.

You can order the dock compatible with your iPhone at Shapeways in two possible finishes:

• Either the standard smooth white plastic (White Processed Versatile Plastic). I advise to spray-paint it in black with a dedicated OEM-looking black aerosol paint (e.g. from Evercoat or Montana MTN 94 RV-7016)

• Or the new beautiful smooth black finish called Black Professional Plastic. As its name suggests, it is more expensive due to an additional dyeing and polishing treatments that make the plastic smooth and soft (kinda velvety), it looks like almost a molded part. Obviously, this premium option also saves you the hassle of manually spray-painting the dock.

It's up to you, depends on your budget and if you are more a DIYer or if you prefer finished goods to be rightfully integrated out of the box. I think that giving choice to customers is better.

Find all information (including installation guides) at the updated website: www.CarPlayDock.com

CarPlayDock shop at Shapeways: www.shapeways.com/shops/flux_capacitor

Below, a couple of pictures of the latest Audi TT CarPlay dock for iPhone X/XS, produced in Black Professional plastic by Shapeways, that I've just received:

7. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2010 Audi TT
      02-04-2019 06:33 AM #55
      And here is a 2mn video showing how to glue the special Lightning adapter to the CarPlay dock:

To also answer some previous questions (that were quite old, long time no see. Sorry for the delay but I didn't activate email notifications):

Quote Originally Posted by Dhandley01 View Post
      Is there anyway to make the dock diagonal to allow more room for a 7 plus?
      Alas no, at least not on the TT. There is a slider on the left side of the internal compartment that prevents such configuration. That's also why the iPhone X/XS (which is wider than previous non-Plus models) is now inserted vertically and not at an angle anymore. I would be possible to make a TT CarPlay dock for bigger phones, but they would stay mostly outside of the ashtray (not recessed inside it) hence would block air conditionner controls.

Quote Originally Posted by BeachDuc View Post
      That is a great setup Flux. I especially like your discrete phone dock. I know this is now quite an old post but do you know if there is anything similar for the A3 (2012)? Instead of the ashtray I also wondered about putting a dock in the section adjacent to the handbrake - there certainly looks like there would be room beneath the console, if you cut through the bottom of that tray (I certainly don't need the Aux point and can likely live without the cigarette lighter to
      Thanks. Not sure about A4 B7, although I am currently fiddling with this cigarette lighter compartment at the moment. But I will certainly expand the concept further to other cars, starting with A1 (2010-2018) and A3 8V (2012–2018) which can now be retrofitted with CarPlay keeping their original retractable LCD screen, thanks to CarPlay retrofit kits presented in this other topic. Then maybe A6 & A7 C7 (2010–2017).

You people may have moved on to another car, but I am answering these points as it could help others as well.

8. 02-04-2019 08:39 AM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by flux_capacitor View Post
      You people may have moved on to another car, but I am answering these points as it could help others as well.
      Thanks for all that effort. Same car, but I’ve moved on to a wireless CarPlay unit and the phone stays in my pocket. Your hard work is still impressive.

9. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2010 Audi TT
      02-04-2019 09:29 AM #57
      Thanks for all that effort. Same car, but I’ve moved on to a wireless CarPlay unit and the phone stays in my pocket. Your hard work is still impressive.
      I understand. But with your iPhone staying in your pocket now, don't you have any issue with the battery being drained by navigation (GPS positioning consumes a lot of power)? At least on long trips, say more than 45 mn.

That's why Apple delayed Wireless CarPlay for two years, until iPhone models have induction charging capabilities (Qi standard), and ask automotive makers to include wireless charging pads in newest cars.

10. 02-05-2019 07:31 AM #58
      Quote Originally Posted by flux_capacitor View Post
      I understand. But with your iPhone staying in your pocket now, don't you have any issue with the battery being drained by navigation (GPS positioning consumes a lot of power)? At least on long trips, say more than 45 mn.

That's why Apple delayed Wireless CarPlay for two years, until iPhone models have induction charging capabilities (Qi standard), and ask automotive makers to include wireless charging pads in newest cars.
      I agree, but my commute is 20 minutes. My solution, for longer trips, is nowhere near as elegant as yours. I used Velcro to hold a Qi charger on top of my ashtray and had an electrician wire it into the cigarette lighter.

11. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2010 Audi TT
      02-05-2019 07:37 AM #59
      I agree, but my commute is 20 minutes. My solution, for longer trips, is nowhere near as elegant as yours. I used Velcro to hold a Qi charger on top of my ashtray and had an electrician wire it into the cigarette lighter.
      Lucky time commute Indeed Qi chargers cannot be better integrated in older vehicles due to their larger size (due to the smartphone surface in a flat position) but I find your installation quite neat nonetheless. Good matching colors and good cable management without a wire popping out here and there. Congrats

12. 02-05-2019 07:40 AM #60
      I did debate cutting into the ashtray lid but decided it was too much effort. There’s actually a lightning cable tucked down the back, as my wife’s phone is pre Qi and tends to run flat quickly. It’s not perfect, but it solves my “first world problem” as well as I can manage, without your engineering expertise.

13. 03-18-2019 10:06 AM #61
      I purchased what I believe was the prior version for the iPhone 7 with Apple case back in January.

The fitment was so poor I had to break the case apart to get the phone back out.

Luckily I was able to get a refund.

I considered reordering and may place an order with the new style.

Hopefully this issue has been corrected.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123