VWVortex.com - What did you do to your eGolf today?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: What did you do to your eGolf today?

1. 01-17-2020 02:53 PM #276
      Quote Originally Posted by Lefix View Post
      Hey guys, I’ve been following this thread closely while doing my mods but haven’t made any posts yet. Figured it’s a good time to start:

Oh and these custom seat covers

Can you provide the source who made these seat covers for you? I'd like to order it.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 01-17-2020 03:14 PM #277
      Quote Originally Posted by elconquistador View Post
      https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-part...008595ecs01~a/

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
      Thank you!

Vehicles
      '90 Corrado_G60 5spd, '04 Jetta Wagon TDI 5spd, '13 Jetta Wagon TDI 6spd (4 wife), '19 E-Golf SE
      01-17-2020 09:54 PM #278
      Also installed some mud flaps:

Leather armrest

Utilitarian as I am, I'm curious about the difficulty installing the leather arm rest, and the source for the arm rests and mud flaps.

(The lights look like Ed's Rep's from BEC). I read through the post about them on the MkVII Golf/GTI forum. Did you stick with bulbs, go LED or go HID?

5. 01-19-2020 09:52 AM #279
      Hey guys, I’ve been following this thread closely while doing my mods but haven’t made any posts yet. Figured it’s a good time to start:

Installed new headlights, didn’t need to take the entire bumper off but did need to loosen it.
      Curious why you upgraded the lights, did you have base model with halogens? Also, did you have to buy LEDs separately and have to install them? Would you mind sending me a link to where your bought them from? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

6. 01-19-2020 09:55 PM #280
      for anyone that's done the Homelink mirror, can we tap into the connector we ran to run a dash cam off of it? I know there's two wires going into the mirror but I'm not sure which one is Voltage and which one is ground...

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2019 E-Golf SE (2016 E-Golf SOLD)
      02-01-2020 12:29 PM #281
      Quote Originally Posted by pookguy88 View Post
      for anyone that's done the Homelink mirror, can we tap into the connector we ran to run a dash cam off of it? I know there's two wires going into the mirror but I'm not sure which one is Voltage and which one is ground...
      Very easy to figure out with a voltmeter. Probe both wires for voltage, and if the voltage reading is positive, then the red probe's wire is positive. If the voltage reading is negative, then the red probe's wire is negative.

8. 02-03-2020 05:21 PM #282
      I debadged my egolf but when I took of the front badge on the grill there where 2 holes. Has anyone else done this?

9. 02-04-2020 11:38 AM #283
      Quote Originally Posted by egolf19 View Post
      I debadged my egolf but when I took of the front badge on the grill there where 2 holes. Has anyone else done this?
      Vinyl overlay is a popular option these days.
      Front: www.badgeskins.com/store/p19/MK7_GOLF/GTI_VW_emblem_badgeskin_set_.html
      Rear: www.badgeskins.com/store/p249/VW_-_MK7.5_Golfs_smooth_VW_emblem_badgeskin_set.html

10. 02-04-2020 02:12 PM #284
      Looks good.

Vehicles
      '90 Corrado_G60 5spd, '04 Jetta Wagon TDI 5spd, '13 Jetta Wagon TDI 6spd (4 wife), '19 E-Golf SE
      02-06-2020 01:57 AM #285
      Took my 2019 to the dealer for the third time for the incessant unlocking front passenger door. The previous two trips, my wife the honor of trying to get them to address this issue that has been happening since day 1. Upon arrival today, I showed the service writer how simply moving the passenger door through a range of normal door motion triggers an "unlock" message, and sometimes multiple unlock messages. Today, once the tech had the car attached to his diagnostic PC, the service writer was able to show him the issue and duplicate it for the tech. Both surmised: "Yeah, that ain't right!" They tried re-seating the connectors, to no avail. In the end, they handed the key fob back and placed an order for a passenger door wiring harness.

All in all, not a bad day. I put 92 miles on it today, and had 40+ miles of range remaining... (when I left the house this morning, the guess-o-meter registered 162 miles of potential range). I lost some of that running 70mph interstate speeds for 40+ miles, but I'm still impressed. While killing time at the dealership, I sat in a GTI. I need to find a set of those GTI front bucket seats!!

12. 02-09-2020 05:05 AM #286
      Quote Originally Posted by KsR_808 View Post

Installed new headlights, didn’t need to take the entire bumper off but did need to loosen it.
      Curious why you upgraded the lights, did you have base model with halogens? Also, did you have to buy LEDs separately and have to install them? Would you mind sending me a link to where your bought them from? Thanks

I changed the headlights because I absolutely hate halogens. I tried LED bulbs and they looked great, but I liked the GTI LED “hockey stick” look with the dynamic turn signals so I decided to give that a try. I’m very glad that I did.

The LED headlights come with LED high beam bulb and low beam bulb. Harness is plug and play.

To be 100% transparent I bought all my products from China. The fitment and quality of everything surprised me. If you’re interested please PM me.

13. 02-09-2020 09:56 PM #287
      I changed the headlights because I absolutely hate halogens. I tried LED bulbs and they looked great, but I liked the GTI LED “hockey stick” look with the dynamic turn signals so I decided to give that a try. I’m very glad that I did.

The LED headlights come with LED high beam bulb and low beam bulb. Harness is plug and play.

To be 100% transparent I bought all my products from China. The fitment and quality of everything surprised me. If you’re interested please PM me.
      Great, thanks for the info .

My wife's e-Golf is a 2019 SEL so it has the really nice LED bulbs, I was asking cause I'm thinking of retrofitting my 2016 Golf R with them . I'll tap you for more info if I ever decide to pull the trigger. The lights are really nice, congrats

Vehicles
      02-22-2020 09:00 PM #288
      Torklift Central's Stealth Eco-Hitch, (with both the 1-1/4" and 2" receiver options). So I can bring my bike along...
      Pictures are worth 1,000 words!

The Yakima rack feels a little high, I'll probably try my Thule rack on here as well, maybe it will sit below the roof line?

Finished results, look exactly like when I started installing this hitch, and that was the point! Glad someone finally makes a hitch that doesn't look like a hitch when it's installed!! Yes, the receiver receptacle is completely removable when not in use. So, it doesn't have to look like you have a hitch when you don't need your hitch. There's also no ground clearance issues.

In addition to the endeavor above, I also managed to get my rear window washer system to malfunction and dump the entire contents of my washer fluid bottle into the sound deadening insulation at the bottom of the engine bay. Apparently in addition to my defective passenger door harness, the "snap in place" clip that attached the rear window washer fluid hose to the windshield washer pump wasn't 100% engaged, because it spit the rear hose off the pump! So, I reached under the frame, reattached it by feel (even heard a click), then hosed out the windshield washer fluid out of the engine bay leaving the fiberglass insulation mat sopping wet. I ran the nose of the car up on blocks to get it to drain better overnight. The following day, I removed the belly pan, drained MORE water out of the fiberglass insulation mat, and left it vertical overnight to get the bulk of the water out...
      Last edited by Where2; 02-23-2020 at 09:04 PM.

15. 02-26-2020 09:35 PM #289
      Quote Originally Posted by Where2 View Post
      Torklift Central's Stealth Eco-Hitch, (with both the 1-1/4" and 2" receiver options). So I can bring my bike along...
      Pictures are worth 1,000 words!

The Yakima rack feels a little high, I'll probably try my Thule rack on here as well, maybe it will sit below the roof line?

Finished results, look exactly like when I started installing this hitch, and that was the point! Glad someone finally makes a hitch that doesn't look like a hitch when it's installed!! Yes, the receiver receptacle is completely removable when not in use. So, it doesn't have to look like you have a hitch when you don't need your hitch. There's also no ground clearance issues.

In addition to the endeavor above, I also managed to get my rear window washer system to malfunction and dump the entire contents of my washer fluid bottle into the sound deadening insulation at the bottom of the engine bay. Apparently in addition to my defective passenger door harness, the "snap in place" clip that attached the rear window washer fluid hose to the windshield washer pump wasn't 100% engaged, because it spit the rear hose off the pump! So, I reached under the frame, reattached it by feel (even heard a click), then hosed out the windshield washer fluid out of the engine bay leaving the fiberglass insulation mat sopping wet. I ran the nose of the car up on blocks to get it to drain better overnight. The following day, I removed the belly pan, drained MORE water out of the fiberglass insulation mat, and left it vertical overnight to get the bulk of the water out...
      Wow, nice!

Wait... There is sound insulation at the bottom of the engine bay???

Vehicles
      02-26-2020 11:09 PM #290
      Wow, nice!

Wait... There is sound insulation at the bottom of the engine bay???
      Indeed, there is a black fiberglass looking mat attached to the belly pan under the engine bay. I didn't stop to take a photo of that, but here's a side of the motor most probably haven't seen:

Yes, that's a high voltage warning sticker on the under side of the drive motor, as a reminder "This is Not a Toy!"

Vehicles
      90 VW Corrado, 02 Audi allroad, 03 VW GTI 20TH, 96 BMW 318ti, 17 JKU, 16 eGolf
      02-27-2020 10:23 AM #291
      Indeed, there is a black fiberglass looking mat attached to the belly pan under the engine bay.
      I just switched out to my summer wheels and poked my head in that area and saw that mat as well.

I also am curious about the slots in the fender liners for the front wheels. They aren't for brake cooling as they blow right at the face of the tire. I bet they act as an air buffer around the wheel face. Maybe later this spring or summer I'll place a fan in front of the bumper and check the air flow out of those slots.

EGolf wheel wells by Wayne Larson, on Flickr

18. 02-27-2020 12:43 PM #292
      Indeed, there is a black fiberglass looking mat attached to the belly pan under the engine bay. I didn't stop to take a photo of that, but here's a side of the motor most probably haven't seen:

Yes, that's a high voltage warning sticker on the under side of the drive motor, as a reminder "This is Not a Toy!"
      So weird . I just feel like that thing is going to collect water every time it rains, no?

I have done tons of mods to my Golf R, both mechanical and electrical, but I would not go near these things! ⚡️⚡️

Vehicles
      2011 Golf 2.5 R.I.P 2014 Chevrolet Volt
      02-27-2020 11:23 PM #293
      Quote Originally Posted by G0to60 View Post
      I just switched out to my summer wheels and poked my head in that area and saw that mat as well.

I also am curious about the slots in the fender liners for the front wheels. They aren't for brake cooling as they blow right at the face of the tire. I bet they act as an air buffer around the wheel face. Maybe later this spring or summer I'll place a fan in front of the bumper and check the air flow out of those slots.

EGolf wheel wells by Wayne Larson, on Flickr

Those are called air curtains and help reduce drag.

20. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2019 eGolf
      02-27-2020 11:25 PM #294
      So Tesla gets updates that make their cars faster and extends their range.
      Where are those for the eGolf?

Vehicles
      02-27-2020 11:54 PM #295
      Quote Originally Posted by elconquistador View Post
      So Tesla gets updates that make their cars faster and extends their range.
      Where are those for the eGolf?

E-Golf is a discontinued product. What you are talking about will come in the new ID.3, but it looks like we are not getting it in NA. At least not for now. They are bringing a suv instead called ID.4.
      Last edited by vento 95 GL; 02-28-2020 at 11:53 AM.

Vehicles
      90 VW Corrado, 02 Audi allroad, 03 VW GTI 20TH, 96 BMW 318ti, 17 JKU, 16 eGolf
      02-28-2020 10:12 AM #296
      Quote Originally Posted by vento 95 GL View Post
      Those are called air curtains and help reduce drag.

That's what I thought but they don't seem to be in a very good spot. I'll run a fan to see if the air actually goes over the wheel face or just hits the tire.

Vehicles
      02-28-2020 01:15 PM #297
      Quote Originally Posted by G0to60 View Post

That's what I thought but they don't seem to be in a very good spot. I'll run a fan to see if the air actually goes over the wheel face or just hits the tire.

From what I've seen in other car makers, a lot are setup the same way. They have vertical slots at the edge inside the bumper. Some are setup outside the bumper.

Here is a good video on the subject:

I've seen someone that printed a piece that angles the air for his E-Golf. Don't know how much more effective it will be.

Vehicles
      03-21-2020 11:34 PM #298
      You know those pedal cover kits for the Mk7 you see for under $20 [shipped] on eBay? (Yes, the ones from China, takes a month to get here...) In case anyone was wondering, yep those fit.

Earlier in the week, I added a longer power input cord to my Clipper Creek 40A Level 2 EVSE (aka: charger). I always thought the 1' NEMA 14-50P cord was a little silly. When I plugged it into my 50A RV receptacle, the EVSE couldn't lay on the ground, it was always dangling upside down by the cord. (even a proper drip loop needs more than a 12" cord!) The EVSE is NEMA 3R rated for outdoor + wet locations, so how do you make that work??
      For those who haven't seen the inside of a EVSE, here's a "Before" shot:

Crimping these large electrical connections (ferrules) took a new tool added to my arsenal of tools, but now I have a ferrule crimper capable of crimping 6AWG wire, for other projects. For reference, these are #6 and #8 AWG wire...

This is the "After" shot of the contactor that "Clicks" (or clunks) when the car makes the handshake with the EVSE to say: charge me now. You can see my new wires are attached just like the old wires were:

My upgrade added about 2' of usable cord length to the NEMA 14-50P, using an off the shelf 50A Range Cord. When coiling the input cord, it now reaches the other end of the EVSE housing.

I may get to perform this charger modification again. Today, I scored another Clipper Creek 40A Level 2 EVSE off eBay for my sister to use on her Nissan Leaf. It appears to have the hardwired power tail, but I can fix that.

25. 03-22-2020 08:41 AM #299
      You know those pedal cover kits for the Mk7 you see for under $20 [shipped] on eBay? (Yes, the ones from China, takes a month to get here...) In case anyone was wondering, yep those fit.

Earlier in the week, I added a longer power input cord to my Clipper Creek 40A Level 2 EVSE (aka: charger). I always thought the 1' NEMA 14-50P cord was a little silly. When I plugged it into my 50A RV receptacle, the EVSE couldn't lay on the ground, it was always dangling upside down by the cord. (even a proper drip loop needs more than a 12" cord!) The EVSE is NEMA 3R rated for outdoor + wet locations, so how do you make that work??
      For those who haven't seen the inside of a EVSE, here's a "Before" shot:

Crimping these large electrical connections (ferrules) took a new tool added to my arsenal of tools, but now I have a ferrule crimper capable of crimping 6AWG wire, for other projects. For reference, these are #6 and #8 AWG wire...

This is the "After" shot of the contactor that "Clicks" (or clunks) when the car makes the handshake with the EVSE to say: charge me now. You can see my new wires are attached just like the old wires were:

My upgrade added about 2' of usable cord length to the NEMA 14-50P, using an off the shelf 50A Range Cord. When coiling the input cord, it now reaches the other end of the EVSE housing.

I may get to perform this charger modification again. Today, I scored another Clipper Creek 40A Level 2 EVSE off eBay for my sister to use on her Nissan Leaf. It appears to have the hardwired power tail, but I can fix that.
      Very cool! Most electric I have ever done was in my Golf R though for other reasons

Love the ferrules! I like to throw some heat-shrink wrap over them too for good measure.

Last edited by KsR_808; 03-22-2020 at 08:43 AM.

Vehicles
      03-22-2020 10:34 PM #300
      Very cool! Most electric I have ever done was in my Golf R though for other reasons

Love the ferrules! I like to throw some heat-shrink wrap over them too for good measure.
      Nice! Considering my wires were inside a plastic enclosure, I didn't expect I'd have issues with anything shorting them. I have assortments of different colors, sizes, and even glue lined heat shrink. On open, visible installs like your R amplifier setup, heat shrink makes great sense, and dresses up the presentation. My father was an electronic technician for an aircraft engine manufacturer. I started playing with electrical things shortly after I figured out how to walk. Most electric I've ever done was the DIY 4.4kW photo-voltaic array on my second floor roof, and rewiring my two houses (to code & inspected). Last car stereo I spent any time on was my '90 Corrado which has a MkIV single DIN setup with a working Phatbox. If I spent less time tinkering with the e-Golf, and washing it, maybe I'd finish my electrical diagram for my 5.6kW photo-voltaic array for my backyard. The purpose of my 5.6kW array will be to power the e-Golf off 100% sunshine, and lower my electric bill to $8 per month.

I've got an old school Alpha-sonic amp under my desk, and a Rockford Fosgate 100HD amp (made in USA) literally kicking around at my feet. I think I bought both of these amps to create "old-school" setups for my Corrado, if I ever get bored...

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112