Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Soumatrix Speaker Review

1. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012/VW/CC Lux
      03-15-2015 12:58 AM #1
      At 53 years of age I have owned may cars over the years from compact cars to sports and luxury cars. My driving experience including the sound system is very important to me. I recently purchased a set of Soumatrix Inspirit speakers to upgrade the stereo system of my 2012 CC Lux. I have been adding some mods to this car as of late beginning with its appearance (body Kit, window tint, wheels, clear turn signals, euro cup holder, etc.) and performance (cat-back exhaust and intake). When I installed the rear emblem back-up camera, I realized that the RNS-315 head unit was lacking both in the size of the screen and in power/sound. I then installed the RNS-510. While the overall sound and power of the unit was better I knew it that it still had a "way to go." Well, let me just say that the Soumatrix speaker upgrade that I chose was the perfect complement to the RNS-510! The Inspirit speakers are equal to if not better than any speakers I have ever heard in a car (Bose, Dynaudio, JBL, Infinity, Kenwood, etc.)!

As far as the quality of the speakers, they are extremely well made. From the material of the speakers, to the plastics chosen, to the felt used to insulate the unit, magnates, crossovers, etc. - all top notch! The speakers fit my CC as well as the stock VW speakers. The connections were perfect, no retrofitting of connections or wires was necessary. And because the speakers have built in tweeters, all I had to do to the factory tweeters was to disconnect them. Soumatrix provided insulating pads for behind the speakers, vibration hampering material for the doors and rivets to secure the speakers. I was pleasantly surprised when I discovered that my speakers were secured to the doors with screws and not rivets. This made the installation of the speakers even easier.

Removing the door panels is pretty easy as long as you have some trim removal tools and the proper torx bits/drivers. There are several tutorials on VWVortex for this as well as Youtube videos and I checked out a few before attempting this. I started with the driver's side door and ended with the passenger's side rear door. The entire installation process took less than two hours with my 16 year old son's help. While he was putting one door together, I was taking one door apart. I used the insulating pads for the inside of the door directly behind the speakers (see photos); however, because the CC has such well made doors and a large heavy plastic covering to shield the inner workings of the door, I felt that there really was no area where the vibration hampering material could be used. Everything on this car is solid.

As far as the sound experience is concerned, myself and everyone who witnessed the installation could immediately tell the difference. Simply put - the sound was amazing!!! Clear, focused sound throughout the entire range from the bass through the treble. While I did not crank up the sound more than 60% of what the RNS-510 is capable of (due to the 20 hour break-in period), I could immediately tell that these speakers would not crack and would be able to handle all of the power of the unit. No need for an amplifier here! Listening to my tunes now is going to be a thoroughly enjoyable experience! While I listen to and enjoy all kinds of music, I am a classical violinist so fidelity is very important to me. These speakers are as close to high fidelity as you will find anywhere. While the Inspirit speakers are 100% better than the factory ones, I can only imagine how good the Xtase speakers are?!

VW speaker removed
      [IMG]IMG_0681[/IMG]

Area for sound pad
      [IMG]IMG_0683[/IMG]

With sound pad installed
      [IMG]IMG_0686[/IMG]

Comparison of stock vs. Soumatrix speaker front
      [IMG]IMG_0684[/IMG]

Comparison of stock vs. Soumatrix speaker rear
      [IMG]IMG_0685[/IMG]
      APR Stage I, Carbonio intake, A.W.E. catback dual exhaust, A8-coils, badgeless, Gold Coast kit, Maxton Design front spoiler/splitter, 18" Daytona wheels, EPC slotted rotors & red pad, RVC, Euro turnsignals, Euro cupholder, RNS 510 headunit & Soumatrix Inspirit speaker upgrade, stainless door sills, brushed aluminum pedals,

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      My baby: 1995 Corrado 2.9 VR (OBD2), My daily: 2014 CC R-Line, Wife's ride: 2010 Tiguan S 4Motion
      03-15-2015 05:29 AM #2
      How much did this run you, and where do you go to purchase it? Also, is it no longer a component system, since you mentioned the tweeters are built in to the speaker?
      Corrado Autobiography
      Past German cars owned: 1970 BMW 2002, 1987 VW Fox sedan, 2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2003 VW Passat wagon, 2013 VW CC Sport
      Past non-German cars owned: 1990 Toyota Corolla, 1998 Honda Civic EX, 2002 Subaru Outback

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 CC 6Speed MT, 2019 Tiguan SEL
      03-15-2015 09:16 AM #3
      Images are not displaying....

Do you work for Soumatrix? This post sounds as sales pitch ..... and also comes up as first link when you Google Soumatrix speakers......hmmm

Anyway glad you like them.... you should get a huge discount for them for this post
      Last edited by OEMplusCC; 03-15-2015 at 09:23 AM.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012/VW/CC Lux
      03-15-2015 10:03 AM #4
      I purchased the speakers online through the Soumatrix website. They go for $586, but I used the promo code for 40% off so they wound up costing me like $342. Free shipping too!
      APR Stage I, Carbonio intake, A.W.E. catback dual exhaust, A8-coils, badgeless, Gold Coast kit, Maxton Design front spoiler/splitter, 18" Daytona wheels, EPC slotted rotors & red pad, RVC, Euro turnsignals, Euro cupholder, RNS 510 headunit & Soumatrix Inspirit speaker upgrade, stainless door sills, brushed aluminum pedals,

7. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012/VW/CC Lux
      03-15-2015 10:05 AM #5
      You would be correct in that it is no longer a component system, however, Soumatrix gives you 30 days to return if not satisfied. These speakers are definitely much much better than the stock VW ones.

8. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012/VW/CC Lux
      03-15-2015 10:08 AM #6
      Yes, I have to get the images to display. I posted this late at night and got too tired to keep trying to get the images to display. I do not work for or have any affiliation with Soumatrix. If I like a product I like to let people know. Plus, along with the discounts offered by Soumatrix, if they like your review, the writer may be reimbursed for the speakers.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      '18 Model 3
      03-15-2015 12:24 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by BobbyCC View Post
      Yes, I have to get the images to display. I posted this late at night and got too tired to keep trying to get the images to display. I do not work for or have any affiliation with Soumatrix. If I like a product I like to let people know. Plus, along with the discounts offered by Soumatrix, if they like your review, the writer may be reimbursed for the speakers.
      As long as the pictures are hosted online somewhere like Photobucket, you should just need to pop the links in between the IMG tags.

So the '315 headunits are less powerful than the RNS-510? That information alone might spur me to upgrade to a '510, and later get some speakers. My 2013 CC's audio is pretty flat and uninspiring right now. After installing a Dynaudio system in my '99 Volvo S70, everything else kind of sucks.

Looking forward to the pics.
      '18 Model 3
      '09 Tiguan S 6MT

10. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012/VW/CC Lux
      03-15-2015 10:46 PM #8
      Thank you very much for the info on posting the pics. I will have to sign up for a Photobucket account then. I definitely feel that the RNS-510 is an upgrade to the 315. I believe that it is 40 watts per channel, plus you get high def stations.

11. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012/VW/CC Lux
      03-16-2015 04:18 PM #9
      At 53 years of age I have owned may cars over the years from compact cars to sports and luxury cars. My driving experience including the sound system is very important to me. I recently purchased a set of Soumatrix Inspirit speakers to upgrade the stereo system of my 2012 CC Lux. I have been adding some mods to this car as of late beginning with its appearance (body Kit, window tint, wheels, clear turn signals, euro cup holder, etc.) and performance (cat-back exhaust and intake). When I installed the rear emblem back-up camera, I realized that the RNS-315 head unit was lacking both in the size of the screen and in power/sound. I then installed the RNS-510. While the overall sound and power of the unit was better I knew it that it still had a "way to go." Well, let me just say that the Soumatrix speaker upgrade that I chose was the perfect complement to the RNS-510! The Inspirit speakers are equal to if not better than any speakers I have ever heard in a car (Bose, Dynaudio, JBL, Infinity, Kenwood, etc.)!

As far as the quality of the speakers, they are extremely well made. From the material of the speakers, to the plastics chosen, to the felt used to insulate the unit, magnates, crossovers, etc. - all top notch! The speakers fit my CC as well as the stock VW speakers. The connections were perfect, no retrofitting of connections or wires was necessary. And because the speakers have built in tweeters, all I had to do to the factory tweeters was to disconnect them. Soumatrix provided insulating pads for behind the speakers, vibration hampering material for the doors and rivets to secure the speakers. I was pleasantly surprised when I discovered that my speakers were secured to the doors with screws and not rivets. This made the installation of the speakers even easier.

Removing the door panels is pretty easy as long as you have some trim removal tools and the proper torx bits/drivers. There are several tutorials on VWVortex for this as well as Youtube videos and I checked out a few before attempting this. I started with the driver's side door and ended with the passenger's side rear door. The entire installation process took less than two hours with my 16 year old son's help. While he was putting one door together, I was taking one door apart. I used the insulating pads for the inside of the door directly behind the speakers (see photos); however, because the CC has such well made doors and a large heavy plastic covering to shield the inner workings of the door, I felt that there really was no area where the vibration hampering material could be used. Everything on this car is solid.

As far as the sound experience is concerned, myself and everyone who witnessed the installation could immediately tell the difference. Simply put - the sound was amazing!!! Clear, focused sound throughout the entire range from the bass through the treble. While I did not crank up the sound more than 60% of what the RNS-510 is capable of (due to the 20 hour break-in period), I could immediately tell that these speakers would not crack and would be able to handle all of the power of the unit. No need for an amplifier here! Listening to my tunes now is going to be a thoroughly enjoyable experience! While I listen to and enjoy all kinds of music, I am a classical violinist so fidelity is very important to me. These speakers are as close to high fidelity as you will find anywhere. While the Inspirit speakers are 100% better than the factory ones, I can only imagine how good the Xtase speakers are?!

VW speaker removed

Area for sound pad

With sound pad installed

Comparison of stock vs. Soumatrix speaker front

Comparison of stock vs. Soumatrix speaker rear