VWVortex.com - Step by step DIY spare tire mod.
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 45 of 45 FirstFirst ... 354142434445
    Results 1,101 to 1,106 of 1106

Thread: Step by step DIY spare tire mod.

Vehicles
      2018 Golf R, '96 993
      07-18-2020 02:16 PM #1101
      You can also get the whole kit or certain pieces from DAP,

https://www.shopdap.com/make-model-y...-mk7-mk75.html
      2018 Golf R , '96 993
      past:2004 Passat 4Mo, 1.8T, stick
      '96 Audi S6, forced to sell, F. U. nh emissions
      '87 VW Quantum syncro wagon, got me into quattro,
      '85 GTI, 17 yrs , 280k miles, '75 Nova (first car)

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      '19 Golf R, '08 Z4M Coupé
      07-18-2020 11:07 PM #1102
      The Humble Mechanic has an excellent video showing how to install everything...

'19 Golf R
      '08 Z4 M Coupé

4. 08-26-2020 01:34 PM #1103
      Has anyone tried to add a non-VW spare with the Fender sub? I have a line on a AMG alloy (much nicer than a spare deserves to be), but it is ET 20. I believe the stock spare is ET25. I suspect that the loss of 5mm of depth may be enough to make the sub not fit properly, and it may not fit inside the wheel to begin with if the alloy rim is thicker than the OE steel rim. Has anyone tried something similar?
      Pic for reference:

Vehicles
      2017 Golf R DCC/NAV
      08-26-2020 08:48 PM #1104
      Quote Originally Posted by Lavaine View Post
      Has anyone tried to add a non-VW spare with the Fender sub? I have a line on a AMG alloy (much nicer than a spare deserves to be), but it is ET 20. I believe the stock spare is ET25. I suspect that the loss of 5mm of depth may be enough to make the sub not fit properly, and it may not fit inside the wheel to begin with if the alloy rim is thicker than the OE steel rim. Has anyone tried something similar?
      Pic for reference:

"Has anyone else deviated from the tested/validated/proven method with a completely different brand's spare tire?"

No Lavaine, I doubt the people in the thread posting about adding an OEM spare tire kit have tried to add an AMG spare wheel from a Mercedes with their Golf.

I would possibly suggest you review the first post which highlights the part numbers of everything that fits the car as designed.

But you do you boo
      2017 OW VW Golf R DCC/NAV
      2004 NFR Honda S2000 Supercharged

6. 08-27-2020 09:24 PM #1105
      Quote Originally Posted by TheMuffnMan View Post
      "Has anyone else deviated from the tested/validated/proven method with a completely different brand's spare tire?"

No Lavaine, I doubt the people in the thread posting about adding an OEM spare tire kit have tried to add an AMG spare wheel from a Mercedes with their Golf.

I would possibly suggest you review the first post which highlights the part numbers of everything that fits the car as designed.

But you do you boo
      Who hurt you? Seriously, you need to chill out.
      FYI, the thread is called DIY Spare Tire Mod, not "do it my way or get yelled at mod". Do you get this triggered every time someone posts a picture with a Torin or Black Jack jack instead of the what you consider to be the acceptable OEM jack? What about the people that don't buy the foam from Acca? Do you scream and freak out on them too? I didn't expect that hundreds of people had tried something outside the box, but I also didn't expect your freak out either.
      Seriously, you need help, boo.

Vehicles
      2019 Golf R
      09-16-2020 05:33 PM #1106
      I just installed the kit I got from Dapauto last week. All parts were factory VW and everything fits perfectly. I had 2 nail pickups in the first month, but they were slow leaks and got me home. Yesterday I got another low tire pressure warning. I checked the tire when I got home - 3 lbs under. I filled it to proper spec and checked this morning, down 3 pounds. I drove a different vehicle today and tomorrow I will remove the wheel and take it to my local independent shop and have it plugged. It was reassuring knowing I had a spare in case I could not make it home. I never have good luck with the OEM tires on my Golfs. I don't have these problems with the Michelin replacements. This 'mod' is well worth the money. The tire shop told me the tire would be junk after using the can of glue that comes with the car.

Page 45 of 45 FirstFirst ... 354142434445