Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: New Battery Time: Suggestions

1. Member
      Vehicles
      '90 Corrado G60
      04-12-2015 12:39 AM #1
      My 1990 G60 is in really good shape. I solved a mystery battery draw gremlin in the power lock system, but the 3.5 year old battery is dead.

The car sits for two or three weeks between start ups, and has a simple Alpine head unit. No other ICE.
      I'm in Philadelphia, so the winters aren't the harshest, but the winter temps will stay below freezing for weeks at a time.

I need a battery recommendation, before I buy another cheapo battery at advance auto or pep boys

Thanks
      Last edited by The Skeptic; 04-12-2015 at 12:41 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      90 VW Corrado G60 5 speed, White, 03 Audi A6q 3.0 78K, 1981 Corvette, 04 Chevy Tahoe AWD
      04-12-2015 06:34 AM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by The Skeptic View Post
      My 1990 G60 is in really good shape. I solved a mystery battery draw gremlin in the power lock system, but the 3.5 year old battery is dead.

The car sits for two or three weeks between start ups, and has a simple Alpine head unit. No other ICE.
      I'm in Philadelphia, so the winters aren't the harshest, but the winter temps will stay below freezing for weeks at a time.

I need a battery recommendation, before I buy another cheapo battery at advance auto or pep boys

Thanks
      Get one made in PA

http://www.eastpennmanufacturing.com...transportation

Vehicles
      91 JDM Corrado, 91 Range Rover
      04-12-2015 06:55 PM #3
      Odyssey 925
      Last edited by JamesS; 04-12-2015 at 07:00 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. Member
      Vehicles
      '90 Corrado G60
      04-13-2015 03:53 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by Jimweis View Post
      My current dead battery is a Deka - lasted 3.5 yrs, can't complain.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      '90 Corrado G60
      04-13-2015 03:59 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by JamesS View Post
      Odyssey 925
      exactly which 925 do you have? http://www.odysseybatteries.com/batteries/pc925mj.htm

and how is it in cold weather?

Vehicles
      '90 Corrado | '62 Harley Panhead
      04-14-2015 01:49 PM #6
      You can't go wrong with any AGM batt of the name brands IMO> People will complain about a "Bad" optima or a bad oddessy, etc but the fact remains both are excellent Batts. In Harleys, all we use is Deka, because they can can withstand the vibrations that others can not. All Batteries have "bad" ones. Just make sure the one you buy has a proper replacement warranty and keep all info.

I have used about 10 Optimas (Yellow, red, blue, years ago and recent). I did get one bad apple, but it reared it's head after a few months. It was Fully replacement with no cost and no questions (other than they needed to put a charger on it for 1 hr and perform their own load test) <- understandable

The Yellow top I bought for my Corrado is probably 8 years old now and still perfect. I only daily drove it for the last year or so. Take it for what it's worth.

NOTE: the only other thing I will tell you is that to make sure your Alt is outputting at LEAST ~13.1 volts (AT the batt). If not, then replace Regulator, replace Cable from Alt to Batt, etc. This is a common cause for short batt life (other than drains). I can tell you from experience.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      '90 Corrado G60
      04-14-2015 02:13 PM #7
      sdezego: did you use a trickle charger on your optima?

I ask because, I don't intend to.

Vehicles
      04-14-2015 06:24 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by The Skeptic View Post
      sdezego: did you use a trickle charger on your optima?

I ask because, I don't intend to.
      Nope, never did. It sat a lot when it was not a daily and used maybe once a week or once every 2 weeks.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      '90 Corrado G60
      04-14-2015 06:26 PM #9
      Thanks!!!! Thats my expected use.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      '90 Corrado G60
      04-17-2015 06:59 AM #10
      Thanks to all. My power cables are fresh, thanks to the previous owner (my brother), and i just ordered an Odyssey 1200. They are local, even better.

Vehicles
      2010 3.6 4-Motion CC, 1990 G60/TDI/R36 Corrado
      04-20-2015 09:08 AM #11
      I bought a group 58R die-Hard AGM a couple years ago and it sits a fair amount without issue....knocking on wood. I went with an AGM to avoid battery acid issues.

Vehicles
      04-20-2015 10:54 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by G60ING View Post
      I bought a group 58R die-Hard AGM a couple years ago and it sits a fair amount without issue....knocking on wood. I went with an AGM to avoid battery acid issues.
      I have one of those too in my Durango which is over 10 years old too. I was told that Odessey makes the AGM batts for Sears.

Vehicles
      04-20-2015 11:14 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by sdezego View Post
      I have one of those too in my Durango which is over 10 years old too. I was told that Odessey makes the AGM batts for Sears.
      yeah, when i was researching batteries when I bought it I noticed that there were only 2-3 companies that actually make most of the batteries sold. I mainly bought it because of it being an AGM, price and being a black case

08-13-2019 01:49 PM #14
      I'm bumping this old thread to get the latest onions. I'm particularly interested to hear about anyone that relocated their battery to the trunk.

Right now I'm leaving towards an Odessy 925 and the Rennline Relocation kit (as seen above in JamesS's post).

Vehicles
      08-13-2019 03:51 PM #15
      Still a fan of the Sears agm battery. My Honda Pilot is running my old corrado battery from when my Honda battery died in 2016 with less than 3 years on it. So my agm has at least 6 years on it maybe more like 10, I can’t remember.

In 2017 I bought another Sesrch AGM battery for the corrado because a local VW guy was selling a new unused one for $100 . Identical to my old battery now in use by the Honda. I think it was actually a group 48R Sears AGM.

Agm can be used in sealed environments.

Great battery and worth the extra few dollars.

Vehicles
      Orig Owner 90 G60 & 02 Allroad 6Sp Man w/ 3rd Row Seat 07 3x White NB & 08 Yukon Denali XL to tow em
      08-14-2019 04:44 AM #16
      Only two companies are making AGM batteries now and both seem to be doing it right. This excludes Johnson Control who makes Optima. I have one Optima yellow top left in my 4 cars and it’s the one that’s least reliable. All my other cars run Bosch AGM batteries simply because of Pep Boys Nationwide 4 year, over the counter replacement guarantee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      !! opɐɹɹoɔ ǝɥʇ!!ƃuıʇɔǝdsǝɹ !!!
      !! odarroɔ ǝht gnitɔepser !!

Vehicles
      08-14-2019 03:06 PM #17
      Funny, the yellow top in my Corrado is still in the car!!! I think it is now over 12 years old However, I did not have the same luck with yellow tops in the wife's CC (different size). Went through 3 with 1 being warranted, then I said screw that. Also not good like with my Optima Blue top in my boat, so I think I am done with Optimas...

Unfortunately, I bought a real nice optima relocation plate for the trunk, but have not gotten around to it and with the Yellow top being 12 years old and the bad luck I have had with them, I think I will go to an Oddessy for the Corrado next.

I just had a Platinum AGM from AutoZone (Grey Case like my old DieHard AGM), die in the CC after 3 years, so not trilled about that either, but have 2 of them in my F250, so we shall see.

The Sears AGM, I mentioned above did die since posting, but it lasted 8-9 years!

Florida heat is the battery killer..

I agree, that there are probably only a couple of companies making the AGMs for everyone (except Optima).

Vehicles
      08-14-2019 11:21 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by sdezego View Post

Florida heat is the battery killer..

This is the absolute truth, I started googling when my pilot battery died and then learned how heat is the worst thing possible for batteries.

08-15-2019 01:05 PM #19
      One thing i like about the Odesy 925 is that there are a lot of off the shelf battery box solutions available. I'm having a hard time finding a group size 48 box that would be needed for something like the Sears AGM.

22. 08-21-2019 12:19 AM #20
      I'll never buy Optima again. Red top junk, went through a half dozen on warranty before the last one quit inside 6 months finally out of warranty. I literally threw it out in a scrap pile to get rid of it at 8months old. My blood pressure is way down, doctor thinks I've been working out but it's because those **** batteries are out of my life and my cars start again.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
      Bumblebee Tuna

Vehicles
      Orig Owner 90 G60 & 02 Allroad 6Sp Man w/ 3rd Row Seat 07 3x White NB & 08 Yukon Denali XL to tow em
      08-21-2019 12:49 AM #21
      Rar! So true. Their smart charger is phenomenal at bringing them back to life, but the quality they keep churning out really went down the crapper in the last 3-5 years.

The Optima was originally an Area 51 development that made it mainstream. It was military grade. When JC bought them and started production over the border, things got bad fast. Now, they’re the quality of a street vender Rolex with the OG price point. Bummer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      !! opɐɹɹoɔ ǝɥʇ!!ƃuıʇɔǝdsǝɹ !!!
      !! odarroɔ ǝht gnitɔepser !!

Vehicles
      1991 G60 Corrado, 2006 5sp Golf, 1982 VW Rabbit GTI
      08-21-2019 10:25 PM #22
      I'm away visiting Fam in Toronto right now so can't quote the "model #" mine is.
      Went and picked up one from Costco back in 2016. Originally used the one they recommended for Corrado.
      Have an alarm (CompuStar) installed with a pager unit key-fob so unless you drive her every 2 or 3 days the draw of the alarm will drain the battery. Great cuz if anyone bumps or trips the alarm I can be right outside with my baseball bat to collect the insurance deductible if they don't prefer the beatdown...
      At the time she was my daily and drove her in winter so decided to buy the recommended batt for a diesel Jetta (much larger, think 900 cold-cranks) and, although it's tight, it fits in. Have had the battery warrantied once (the alarm will still drain it in 3 days without driving) and it's super healthy. Two-amp old school Rockford Fosgate setup running 2 10" subs and other running the 6 remaining speakers.

Def recommend going with the higher crank batt size, and Costco let's you swap the battery without all the "verification" BS that some shops require. Simply swap, pay the $10 fee and you're back on the road. Was on a road trip and simply showed a pic on my phone of the receipt - off I went.

Unsure who manufactures for Costco, but it's been well worth it.
      Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body.
      But rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up, totally worn-out and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride!!

Vehicles
      91 JDM Corrado, 91 Range Rover
      08-21-2019 11:26 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by corrado-correr View Post
      I'm bumping this old thread to get the latest onions. I'm particularly interested to hear about anyone that relocated their battery to the trunk.

Right now I'm leaving towards an Odessy 925 and the Rennline Relocation kit (as seen above in JamesS's post).
      I'd like to say Ive had good luck with the Odyssey but it has maybe seen 100 kms in the 7 years since I put it in so no comment on the quality of the battery. The mount I used is odyssey's own mount which I could get a lot cheaper than the rennline kit and it is essentially the same, if that is still available I would recommend it.