Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 2015 Jetta Fuse Diagram to Hardwire Radar Detector

Vehicles
      2016 Audi S3
      04-17-2015 11:03 PM #1
      Hey guys I'm in the process of hardwiring my V1 radar detector and can't find what fuse to tap. I looked in the book and they don't provide a diagram. Does anyone have the diagram or know what fuse to tap? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      2015 GLI SEL

35% Tint || DG Springs || Koni Yellows || APR Stage 1 || APR Carbonio || Unitronic Catback || Valentine One

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2000 Jetta VR6 GLS (RIP) 2014 Jetta SE 1.8
      04-18-2015 05:54 AM #2
      I hard wired my dash cam in and I honestly just tapped into an open unused fuse that turned on with the ignition. It took a few tries before I found one but there definitely is one available. I'll get back to you on which fuse it was exactly that I tapped into but here's a pic from my install. I used the one to the right of the 15Amp fuse and dropped in a 20Amp fuse for "protection" (I doubt anything would happen anyways because I have one of those old school tube fuses already in the wiring for my cam BUT that's aside the point lol). Let me know if you need anymore help. I'll gladly assist.

Vehicles
      2016 Audi S3
      04-18-2015 05:58 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by Ubeans2001 View Post
      I hard wired my dash cam in and I honestly just tapped into an open unused fuse that turned on with the ignition. It took a few tries before I found one but there definitely is one available. I'll get back to you on which fuse it was exactly that I tapped into but here's a pic from my install. I used the one to the right of the 15Amp fuse and dropped in a 20Amp fuse for "protection" (I doubt anything would happen anyways because I have one of those old school tube fuses already in the wiring for my cam BUT that's aside the point lol). Let me know if you need anymore help. I'll gladly assist.

Thanks for the reply!! I tried a few open slots with my add a line fuse and didn't get anything. I'll have to try the slot in your picture. I also figured out a bit ago that slot number 40 should be the 12v plugs so if all else fails I'll use that.

2015 GLI SEL

35% Tint || DG Springs || Koni Yellows || APR Stage 1 || APR Carbonio || Unitronic Catback || Valentine One

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      2016 Audi S3
      04-18-2015 11:12 AM #4
      Okay I figured it out. For future reference slot #29 is a switched 12v on the 2015 GLI SEL. Thanks for the help!

2015 GLI SEL

7. Member
      Vehicles
      04-18-2015 01:42 PM #5
      Awesome, no problem! Glad to have you a part of both VW and V1 clubs!

Vehicles
      2016 Audi S3
      04-18-2015 02:17 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by Ubeans2001 View Post
      Awesome, no problem! Glad to have you a part of both VW and V1 clubs!
      Thanks! V1 is the way to go. I've been running one for about 6 years and it proves itself time and time again.

2015 GLI SEL

9. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 GLI
      04-18-2015 02:20 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by malibuboats91 View Post
      Okay I figured it out. For future reference slot #29 is a switched 12v on the 2015 GLI SEL. Thanks for the help!

did you use a 15 amp or 20 amp fuse?

Vehicles
      2016 Audi S3
      04-18-2015 02:46 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by notanshu View Post
      Slot number 29 was a vacant slot. The fuse in my add a line was a 3 amp. I've been using that same one for about 6-7 years without an issue. Does that sound okay or could I damage something?

2015 GLI SEL

11. Member
      Vehicles
      04-18-2015 02:46 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by notanshu View Post
      I used a 20 amp fuse just because sometimes I turn my accessories on when I check my OBD port app on my iPhone. I'm key turning happy. Honestly I don't think it makes a difference whether a 10, 15, or 20 amp fuse is on there. A V1 probably uses less than 1 amp.

12. 05-10-2017 03:01 AM #10
      Fuse size does matter if you have wire that is only capable of 10 amps of fault current a and you put in a 20 amp fuse it will not blow it will just burn the wire insulation off until enough heat buildup finally burns the fuse but once the insulation melts it too late this is import to consider nobody here wants to burn up their V-DUB I had this have a first hand experience with this issue when I was young and dumb and threw together what I had almost put my truck on fire it was smoking really bad from the pillar I had it running through always go for the smallest possible fuse considering the loading of device being protected. Over-fusing is just as bad as hardwiring straight to the battery with no fuse period

13. 05-10-2017 03:30 AM #11
      A formula can be used to determine your fusing need s if you know amperage,wattage, or voltage as long as you know two of them you can get the third one by dividing or multiplying for example 12Volts X 6 Amps = 72 Watts or if you only know the wattage and the voltage then divide example.... 72watts divided by 12Volts = 6amps your biggest AMP KILLERS are electric motors and the worst is heating element and power inverters