VWVortex

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Terminated" from my first professional job

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Fiat 500, 1984 VW Vanagon, 2007 Kia Rondo
      05-04-2015 08:23 PM #26
      I'm late to this, but here's my few pennies -

I was in law enforcement for a tad over twenty years and ironically enough, I'm now in school full time studying psychology - so I'm sort of going backwards from you I suppose. You said this was your first "professional" job implying that you've had others (jobs) before that. I've worked at a ton of different places in my life (42 years old) and heck, just in the last few years I've gone through six jobs while I've been trying to figure out what I want to do when I grow up (mainly because we relocated to Texas to try and start over financially, so we've been spinning our wheels trying to find decent employment while my wife and I both try and get through school).

Assuming you have other things to put on your resume, I would either leave your most recent place off of your resume or simply tell prospective employers you do not want them contacting the previous employer due to "unresolved issues/management conflicts". You've got your education to fall back on and that should enable you to find something. As for whether or not you really want to get into law enforcement or not, I'm not so sure. I got out of it after 20 years because of various issues and much of the nonsense I'm sure you've all seen in the media lately are some of those. I saw the writing on the wall so to speak and I really think law enforcement is going to be facing some serious challenges in the years to come - it's not what it is cracked up to be and it's going to get worse. With your background, I would look more towards getting a civilian psych job with a department (what I want to look into doing) rather than a sworn position, but that's obviously up to you. Depending on your age, be aware that some departments do have age restrictions for getting in (since you said you are in your 30's). The police stuff I can help you with if you want to ask questions
      Posts may not reflect the views of others, get over it.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 11-04-2015 12:40 AM #27
      UPDATE (11/03/2015):

Well, it’s been six (6) months since I was terminated from my prior position. I have since been unemployed, unable to secure a job within my field of study (psychology). While initially relieved to be fired, as my former job setting was akin to a “sweat shop” setting regarding the standards and (admittedly) self-imposed expectations, these feelings gradually subsided, allowing depression and anxiety to set-in.

I had one job interview, which I felt was a shoe-in fit, as I knew the medical director. The interview went very well; I came across as confident, knowledgeable, but humble with a sense of humility. Naturally, a thank you note was sent promptly thereafter, addressing ALL of the people with whom I met that day. After having not heard back from the hospital, I called two weeks later, and was informed by H.R. they hired someone internally for the health psychologist position.

Currently, I have two pending positions, one with the U.S. Air Force (USAF) and a second in a prison facility. In either position I would be playing the role of a traditional therapist rather than a neuropsychologist. Although the USAF appears to really want to hire me, I worry that several of the questions on their extensive, comprehensive questionnaire will exclude my candidacy (in that I have been diagnosed with a psychiatric/behavioral/emotional condition). In addition, the USAF requires my most recent employer to complete a form asking a similar question, which I sense my former boss will posit that my “psychiatric difficulties” (i.e., anxiety) have interfered with my performance. The USAF position required “top secret” clearance, so I know that my background will be crucial for them to make a decision about my employment. As for the prison position, I would be rendering psychiatric services to inmates with mental health problems that have not been properly addressed. There are several openings to be filled, and I sense that I have a better shot at attaining a job with them at this point.

Of note, my anxiety levels have reached an unfathomable level. While always a nervous (i.e., neurotic) person my whole life, I know am imbued with shame (for losing a professional position for which my wife and I relocated across the country), guilt (not being able to contribute financially to the family), and sheer embarrassment in front of my family/friends (even though I know they are there to support me during difficult times). More-so, I lost my zest and fervor for pursing career opportunities in psychology, as I worry about the repercussions that may occur in the event I lose yet another job. Both my prescribing provider and talk therapist share these concerns, and feel that I need to “continue taking care of myself,” whatever that may mean. I can both understand and appreciate their standpoint, as I do worry that entering the workforce in my field with this added emotional “baggage” (i.e., depression and anxiety), I may be putting myself at greater risk for failure. At the same time, however, I think that the lack of work contributes greatly to my depression and anxiety, and my self-esteem and self-identity are greatly based on my work.

As I have no friends in the community, I spend most of my days doing various projects or chores around the house. It gives me some sense of purpose. Unfortunately, given the isolation that has occurred (the only human contact I have is when I drop my son off to daycare; that or when I go to Home Depot for supplies), I feel closer to my cats and the feline species than humans.

Financially, I don’t receive any government benefits. My wife is able to support the family, and, admittedly, my mother may occasionally send some cash to help pay the bills (primarily the doctor co-pay, plus some spending cash). Emotionally, there is strain in the marriage. Despite her repeated denials, I feel that my wife is starting to develop a resentment towards me at this time. She vehemently does not wish to move back to Chicago, even though that is where all our family and friends are located. Concurrently, she knows I am applying for jobs like made, but not getting anywhere in my attempts.

SO…

I really don’t know what to do. While I want to take on a new psychology job, I (along with others mentioned above) worry that poorly treated depression and anxiety will quickly lead to another termination, which will be an even greater, more devastating blow to my persona. I have been on a pharmacopeia of medications, none of which proved particularly beneficial, and completed an eight (8) week outpatient course of intense therapy (three sessions weekly, with each session lasting three hours) that was not efficacious. I stay busy with chores and projects around the home, but continue to see myself as a secretary to my wife, rather than take on the manly husband role. I harbor anxiety throughout the day, with alprazolam (Xanax) helps to reduce to some degree, but worry that I will end up on the streets, holding a cardboard sign trying to hitch a ride to Chicago.

And yes, I have applied to non-psychology based employers (e.g., Home Depot, Office Depot, Petsmart, etc.), but never received a call from these organizations, or was told that I am over-qualified.

At a recent conference, I was told by fellow psychologists that the Tucson market is in dire need of rehabilitation/health/neuropsychologists. I congregated a list, distributed it to several local hospital about the services I can offer and the benefits they receive in return, but was told that they do not hire
      “medical providers” (including physicians), but rather employ them on a contractual basis. This would mean I need to establish my own practice, and that itself is a process.

TL/DR:
      - Unemployed for six (6) months after being terminated
      - Developed profound anxiety, with underlying depression (70% anxiety, 30% depression)
      - Can’t find any positives in life.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      1991 Jetta GLI 16v, 2016 Golf GTI S
      04-14-2017 08:25 PM #28
      I wonder

Vehicles
      '09 VW Jetta 2.5L auto, 2016 Golf Sportswagon SE, 2016 BMW X5 3.5 S drive
      08-13-2017 10:52 AM #29
      So I read your post. I am a psych male RN. Don't get me wrong, most people in the healthcare industry don't care for perfectionist. I am a perfectionist. I trie to perform my head to toe assessment on a timely manner, but being a county employee, we are faced with exubarent amount of patients, and increased homeless population that relies on us ( I better stay quiet on this because it upsets me).
      I will you tell you this that most healthcare professionals are burnt out from their line of work. With that in mind, either you find a job that has less patient population with lesser pay, or endure the same stress over and over again.
      I work for the State Hospital in Calif. I can tell you they are looking for psychologists.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12