VWVortex

Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 404647484950
    Results 1,226 to 1,235 of 1235

Thread: An amalgamation of random bike questions

Vehicles
      Lifted G-wagon, lifted AWD Prius
      01-09-2020 07:39 AM #1226
      Quote Originally Posted by OttaCee View Post
      Speed sensors, using one for better accuracy on MTB trails. Wanted the most accurate measurement so inputting the tire size. Did that and my distance was 15% longer than my GPS. Then went with manually measuring the distance of 3 rotations (weighted on the bike), average them out and using that circumference. Now I'm 8% longer so not perfect. Any ideas on properly setting up wheel sensors?
      I would guess that you're doing it right (measuring based on your specific tire/rim combo). An accurate roll out is the most important factor.
      https://sheldonbrown.com/cyclecomputer-calibration.html

I agree about GPS. It's easy and quick to swap between bikes, but it's not really accurate or consistent (especially under tree cover). Throw in Strava and their lazy segment start/finish setup, and it's almost useless. I can do the same 10-15 mile ride with somebody going to same speeds, and our GPS can disagree by couple of miles and a few hundred feet of elevation. My old Garmin Edge 705 was more accurate (based on road mile signs etc.) and consistent than the newer GPSs I've owned, but it's a brick.

What sort of speed sensor do you have?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2009 BMW 328it, 2017 Acura MDX
      01-09-2020 08:26 AM #1227
      Maybe this is just because I have a fancy-pants Garmin 1000, but the speed sensor auto calibrates with the GPS on my bike computer. I guess it calculates the rollout from the GPS. I guess that doesn't help much if you doubt the accuracy of the GPS, but I would imagine that its pretty accurate on straight, flat areas with a good view of the sky.

Vehicles
      01-09-2020 08:56 AM #1228
      Quote Originally Posted by mrothwell View Post
      Maybe this is just because I have a fancy-pants Garmin 1000, but the speed sensor auto calibrates with the GPS on my bike computer. I guess it calculates the rollout from the GPS. I guess that doesn't help much if you doubt the accuracy of the GPS, but I would imagine that its pretty accurate on straight, flat areas with a good view of the sky.
      I think Garmin's wheel speed sensor auto calibrates with all of their GPSs. Even my poor-pants 130. But, like you say, depending on how much you trust your GPS accuracy, it might not really solve the problem. Getting it auto calibrated in a wide-open road is probably OK though. It's not like it really matters if your ride is 25.3 or 25.7 miles.

Vehicles
      2019 Tiguan SEL-P R-Line, 02 4Runner SR5 4x4
      01-09-2020 09:44 PM #1229
      Quote Originally Posted by Samson View Post
      I would guess that you're doing it right (measuring based on your specific tire/rim combo). An accurate roll out is the most important factor.
      https://sheldonbrown.com/cyclecomputer-calibration.html

I agree about GPS. It's easy and quick to swap between bikes, but it's not really accurate or consistent (especially under tree cover). Throw in Strava and their lazy segment start/finish setup, and it's almost useless. I can do the same 10-15 mile ride with somebody going to same speeds, and our GPS can disagree by couple of miles and a few hundred feet of elevation. My old Garmin Edge 705 was more accurate (based on road mile signs etc.) and consistent than the newer GPSs I've owned, but it's a brick.

What sort of speed sensor do you have?
      Wahoo sensor - only use on MTB rides, my Wahoo Element works great on roads (no tree cover, straight lines).
      19 Tiguan SEL-P R-Line
      02 4Runner SR5

Vehicles
      01-09-2020 09:46 PM #1230
      Quote Originally Posted by mrothwell View Post
      My Wahoo also does auto-calibrates (if selected) but I dont trust the GPS on the Wahoo
      19 Tiguan SEL-P R-Line
      02 4Runner SR5

7. 03-08-2020 02:26 PM #1231
      It is a good question..

Vehicles
      03-10-2020 11:44 AM #1232
      In need of a bike fitting for my gravel bike, after 15 miles my upper body and wrists hurt (alot). Tired lots of different changes but no success.

Question is: If I get fitted for my gravel bike, can I translate my metrics/measurements into my mountain bike? Or do I need another fitting for each bike?
      19 Tiguan SEL-P R-Line
      02 4Runner SR5

Vehicles
      03-10-2020 12:35 PM #1233
      Question is: If I get fitted for my gravel bike, can I translate my metrics/measurements into my mountain bike?
      I'm sure it's different for each person/bike/etc., but that's basically what I did. I had a road bike fit that has worked well, and have used the basics from that when setting up all of my other bikes. At least for me, the most important has been the fore/aft location of the saddle relative to the BB (saddle setback) and cleat placement. The rest is sort of bike-dependent. In addition to that, you're in the saddle a lot less on an MTB than you are a gravel or road bike, and I've not found getting a perfect fit in the stem/bar area to matter nearly as much.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2009 BMW 328it, 2017 Acura MDX
      03-11-2020 10:01 AM #1234
      In need of a bike fitting for my gravel bike, after 15 miles my upper body and wrists hurt (alot). Tired lots of different changes but no success.

Question is: If I get fitted for my gravel bike, can I translate my metrics/measurements into my mountain bike? Or do I need another fitting for each bike?
      My fit is pretty different between my gravel bike and my mountain bike. My road bike is pretty different too. Just about the only thing that is similar is my bb to seat top measurement and my cleat position. Unlike Samson below, my saddle setback is pretty different between bikes, basically, the slower I'm going, the more saddle setback I have.

I do think that getting a fit is the right thing to do though. I would also try to work on some core strength stuff--planks, single leg deadlifts (look it up), cowboy walks, etc. Your core is what holds your body up and if its weak, your hands, wrists, and shoulders will feel the pain.

11. 05-21-2020 04:02 PM #1235
      i think before start riding we need complete knowledge of bike and where we go to ride roads weather so that we can plan our tour smoothly.& overcome the hurdles which may possible in our way and we can enjoy our ride

Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 404647484950