Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 3 of 49 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: An amalgamation of random bike questions

Vehicles
      Ghetto35, Lifted AWD Prius
      09-15-2015 09:56 AM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by jnm2.0t View Post
      i want something with more tread than a gatorskin, either more tread all around or more on the sides. Ive taken my conti 4000s on dirt and yes they were fine but left much to be desired in terms of grip and assurance.
      This is the 700x28 Gravelking:

It's no CX tire, but it does give better cornering grip than a Gatorskin.

http://www.gravelbike.com/?p=2988

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Banned
      Vehicles
      Lighten up Francis
      09-15-2015 10:37 AM #52
      ya thats another that always comes up, i know it's called gravel king but it looks so lightly treaded, does it actually grip?

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 Tiguan SE 4Motion
      09-15-2015 10:45 AM #53
      ya thats another that always comes up, i know it's called gravel king but it looks so lightly treaded, does it actually grip?
      It's also a function of tire pressure.

Also, does the gravel or dirth path curvy? If you're going in a straight line, tread depth doesn't matter too much, just puncture protection.

if your off-the-beaten-path includes some tight switchbacks, then tread depth and side knobs will matter (or you're on a hardpack CX race)
      Quote Originally Posted by Jezza
      Power and Speed solves many things
      2016 Tiguan SE 4Motion
      APR Stage 1/DDM Tuning Ultra HID 5500K/Neuspeed P-flo/AEM Dryflow BruteForce filter

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. Banned
      Vehicles
      Lighten up Francis
      09-15-2015 10:49 AM #54
      The goal isn't to do anything close to CX racing, it's to be able to ride down the road, come to some hardpack, and ride it through to another road. No racing, no speed, but yes turns and I'm not going grandpa speeds.

Best video of the kinds of places, they always have the worst music

Sometimes though it'd be in the woods and be lightly covered with redwood needles

Vehicles
      09-15-2015 11:02 AM #55
      It grips pretty well for the intent, and it's the most agressive that I could find to fit inside of rim road brakes. I take it on some moderately hilly and occasionally fast twisty gravel, and so long as you pay attention, it's fine. You can't really throw it into a loose gravel turn like you can with a grippy knobby tire, but it's pretty solid if you're smooth. The groomed trail you posted looks like it'd be no problem, and I'd guess the file pattern would afford you extra grip when compared to the default Conti tread pattern.

This is the surface that I ride with the Gravelkings (and also GP4000s). 15-30mph over pretty well groomed hilly gravel with a few loose spots thrown in.

I do tend to prefer my 29er on these trails, as it's no slower on most of it and quite a bit more capable through turns.

8. Banned
      Vehicles
      Lighten up Francis
      01-05-2016 03:24 PM #56
      bump.

i have it in the back of my mind to swap my TCR Advanced SL for an EVO hi-mod. I absolutely love the TCR, no question, but I no longer have any need for sprinting or snappy responsiveness which is why I bought the TCR to begin with. The EVO was so damned comfy when I rode it, but at the time that isn't what I wanted. Part of me thinks I will miss the rigidity of the TCR though, I love that about it. Thoughts? Why not have both? Well if I add another bike it's a mountain.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 GTI
      01-05-2016 04:19 PM #57
      bump.

i have it in the back of my mind to swap my TCR Advanced SL for an EVO hi-mod. I absolutely love the TCR, no question, but I no longer have any need for sprinting or snappy responsiveness which is why I bought the TCR to begin with. The EVO was so damned comfy when I rode it, but at the time that isn't what I wanted. Part of me thinks I will miss the rigidity of the TCR though, I love that about it. Thoughts? Why not have both? Well if I add another bike it's a mountain.
      The EVO is awesome, no doubt about that. If you run 25s, bring your rear with you to verify it fits: I know the previous model had really tight tire clearance. I'd also look into the Addict as well if you're dead set on going to a bike that is more comfortable than the TCR. Or just keep the TCR

10. Banned
      Vehicles
      Lighten up Francis
      01-05-2016 04:21 PM #58
      Quote Originally Posted by moose82 View Post
      The EVO is awesome, no doubt about that. If you run 25s, bring your rear with you to verify it fits: I know the previous model had really tight tire clearance. I'd also look into the Addict as well if you're dead set on going to a bike that is more comfortable than the TCR. Or just keep the TCR
      OMFG I just saw the 2016 evo hi mod in ultegra build and it may be the ugliest paint job ever. The blue is bruuuuutal, and the black/green ain't much better. I probably should have looked before posting . I would need to pickup a leftover 2014 race edition or something. Woof.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 GTI
      01-05-2016 04:41 PM #59
      Yeah the blue is ugly. The black/red with DA looks good. The team edition looks awesome in person (Joe D lives not too far; I've seen his a few times). I'd likely go with the regular EVO (non-hi mod) in Ultegra and dump some cash into better wheels/bars/stem and call it a day. Or maybe even the hi-mod frame built up with 6800. The lower level DA version is $2k cheaper, looks like it's mostly in the wheels and bars.

12. Banned
      Vehicles
      Lighten up Francis
      01-06-2016 09:16 AM #60
      I'd only go himod and ultegra. DA isn't necessary, I have the wheels already, and I can get 35% off new. My shop always had leftover models and if even cheaper I'd go DA then but only if there's no ultegra or minimal price difference. He does have a 2014 race in ult I think which is ok looking but not great.

13. Banned
      Vehicles
      Lighten up Francis
      01-07-2016 09:21 AM #61
      Do new tires roll better than broken in tires or the same

Vehicles
      '18 Golf R; '16 X5
      01-07-2016 03:52 PM #62
      Do new tires roll better than broken in tires or the same
      [Disclaimer - totally unscientific opinion ahead]

On a road bike, I think new tires are generally stickier than worn tires (which, I suspect, adds a miniscule amount of rolling resistance). However, the new tires also tend to have a more curved/rounded profile (meaning less rubber on the ground and, therefore, less rolling resistance). Conversely, worn road bike tires are likely harder in terms of durometer measurements, but have a flatter contact patch. Just guessing, but I suspect those two factors proportionally negate one another as the tire ages (assuming normal wear--not tires that are way out on the extremes of dry or worn rubber). I also suspect the differences are small enough that they are immaterial to the average rider.

On a knobby tire, the more worn the tire, the faster it is going to roll in a straight line on a smooth surface (for obvious reasons).

15. Banned
      Vehicles
      Lighten up Francis
      01-13-2016 02:22 PM #63
      Quote Originally Posted by fowtj View Post
      [Disclaimer - totally unscientific opinion ahead]

On a road bike, I think new tires are generally stickier than worn tires (which, I suspect, adds a miniscule amount of rolling resistance). However, the new tires also tend to have a more curved/rounded profile (meaning less rubber on the ground and, therefore, less rolling resistance). Conversely, worn road bike tires are likely harder in terms of durometer measurements, but have a flatter contact patch. Just guessing, but I suspect those two factors proportionally negate one another as the tire ages (assuming normal wear--not tires that are way out on the extremes of dry or worn rubber). I also suspect the differences are small enough that they are immaterial to the average rider.

On a knobby tire, the more worn the tire, the faster it is going to roll in a straight line on a smooth surface (for obvious reasons).
      I am tire shopping and this image I came across from Conti answers my question. More miles means faster, but less grip.

Vehicles
      Bought not built.
      01-13-2016 03:19 PM #64
      The goal isn't to do anything close to CX racing, it's to be able to ride down the road, come to some hardpack, and ride it through to another road. No racing, no speed, but yes turns and I'm not going grandpa speeds.

Best video of the kinds of places, they always have the worst music

Sometimes though it'd be in the woods and be lightly covered with redwood needles
      Would suggest maybe looking into something with a side knob for cornering offroad. Kenda Happy Medium has been great for me as an all around tire. There are others like this out there as well that offer a smoother center section but I can't recall the names at the moment.

Last edited by A1an; 01-13-2016 at 03:21 PM.
      Signature.

Vehicles
      01-13-2016 03:35 PM #65
      I am tire shopping and this image I came across from Conti answers my question. More miles means faster, but less grip.
      In my experience, that's a bit exaggerated/useless. I have a set of GP4000s black chilis, and while they're awesome tires, they're not really any "faster" than my Gatorskins. They do wear a bit more quickly, but mine have been good for a couple thousand miles or so, which is fine by me. They do maybe ride a tiny bit better than the Gatorskins (+/- 5psi makes more of a difference) and seem to do better in the wet and when really pitched over in a turn, but I've enjoyed both on various surfaces. Both are surprisingly awesome in most off-road situations, but then again, so are most road tires. I'd think a 28 GP4000 Four Seasons would be a capable all-rounder.

I posted the Conti Top Contact in another thread, but I do think they're also worth considering in a 28 or larger:

I'd have kept mine, but they rubbed on my road fork.

I recently put a set of 35mm Happy Mediums on my gravel bike, and I'm pretty impressed. They roll decently on pavement and aren't too shabby on gravel. While they're noticeably slower than a road tire on gravel, they don't tighten the sphincter quite as much when you overcook it into a turn at speed... that said, cornering grip isn't as good as a knobby. The tread pattern does make for a bit of hopping around on loose climbs though, so there's also that to consider. I would think that they'd be great on some smooth and dusty California singletrack though.

18. Banned
      Vehicles
      German/American/Italian
      01-14-2016 12:06 AM #66
      I find that Gatorskins are the best when ran at lower pressure, compared to say 4000S II.

I have my 25mm set at 70psi (compared to 80psi in 4000S) and not only I get a better grip, the bike rolls better too.

19. Banned
      Vehicles
      Lighten up Francis
      01-14-2016 01:36 PM #67
      Gatorskins are demonstrably slower than 4000s ii and at every pressure. You're looking about 8 watts lower on the gators. It's not a massive amount for rolling around, but real.

http://www.bicyclerollingresistance....-4000s-ii-2014

Vehicles
      01-14-2016 02:03 PM #68
      Gatorskins are demonstrably slower than 4000s ii and at every pressure. You're looking about 8 watts lower on the gators. It's not a massive amount for rolling around, but real.

Interesting. I can't tell a difference while riding, but a few percent power suck isn't nothing. I should over-analyze the two tires in a real-world comparison one of these days.

21. Banned
      Vehicles
      Lighten up Francis
      01-14-2016 02:25 PM #69
      Quote Originally Posted by Samson View Post
      Interesting. I can't tell a difference while riding, but a few percent power suck isn't nothing. I should over-analyze the two tires in a real-world comparison one of these days.
      It's like adding a cold air intake to a car. You'll never notice the actual hp increase but it can be measured, and if you were to do side by side speed tests it would reveal itself. Again, that difference in power isn't enormous if you're just out with your buddies, but there's a reason that the 4000s ii is one of, if not the most, raced on tire. There's some that roll a little better but they come at serious premiums in mileage, the 4000s is about the perfect balance of all things.

22. Banned
      Vehicles
      German/American/Italian
      01-14-2016 05:37 PM #70

For sure. They are however, seem to be far more resilient to punctures, hence why I have them on my training bike.

23. Banned
      Vehicles
      Lighten up Francis
      01-14-2016 05:45 PM #71
      Quote Originally Posted by J-Tim View Post
      For sure. They are however, seem to be far more resilient to punctures, hence why I have them on my training bike.
      Oh well yeah that's what they're meant for, every day usage with stronger flat protection

24. Member
      Vehicles
      2009 BMW 328it
      01-15-2016 03:41 PM #72
      Quote Originally Posted by J-Tim View Post
      You owe it to yourself to try the Michelin Pro4 Endurance tires. Similar flat protection to the Gatorskins, but they ride and handle better. I've got 23mm versions on my road bike, and I've got 28mm versions on my cross bike.

25. Member
      Vehicles
      Suzuki SX4/Porsche 944/Mazda5
      01-19-2016 07:08 PM #73
      How do people make tight turns on fixed gear bikes...without worrying about catching the inside pedal on something?
      "Yeah, I pissed myself, but that's only because I only had 20 minutes for recess." Duane Peters

26. Banned
      Vehicles
      Lighten up Francis
      01-19-2016 07:10 PM #74
      Quote Originally Posted by 976-RADD View Post
      How do people make tight turns on fixed gear bikes...without worrying about catching the inside pedal on something?
      the same way they make left turns without catching the inside pedal on something

27. Member
      Vehicles
      Suzuki SX4/Porsche 944/Mazda5
      01-22-2016 11:23 AM #75
      the same way they make left turns without catching the inside pedal on something
      Huh?
      "Yeah, I pissed myself, but that's only because I only had 20 minutes for recess." Duane Peters

Page 3 of 49 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast