Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The bikepacking, camping, and touring thread

Vehicles
      Bought not built.
      10-29-2015 02:37 PM #26
      I may try the divider idea. It has one in it already that folds down (reason why it has two zippers). Hindsight I would have had him do one that runs parallel like you were saying.

At the time of the ride it wasn't really packed much at all. Thinking with the extra clothing and stuff I throw in there the items may stay put.
      Signature.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      86 Cabbie, 82 Rabbit
      11-04-2015 01:01 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by A1an View Post
      Thanks Moose.

Any suggestions on how to keep items in the frame bag from moving around? On that ride I had my 3L bladder in there sitting where it naturally would (parallel to the downtube). I had a ziploc freezer bag with my tube, tool, and some other stuff in there as well. After 30 miles I already had a hole worn in the ziploc from it moving around. I am pretty sure this was from contact against the hose fitting on the bladder. Seems that movement is inevitable since it is essentially one large compartment. Curious what tips/tricks you guys have for keeping everything somewhat in place.
      You need to move and secure the bag into a neutral position at the seat tube. You have the weight forward of the knees or in line. It needs to be stabilized. The other option is the Tangle Tangle

I have not been able to find anyone here in Brevard to BikePack with. These guys would rather keep cycling the known spaces. I'm setting up to go from Bull Creek to the bottom of Kissimmee and back on Thanksgiving weekend.

Vehicles
      Bought not built.
      11-05-2015 01:57 PM #28
      Here I am completely loaded (aside from bottle in cage) for this weekend. Right now I have my camp shorts/shirt, extra socks, couple of small microfiber towels, and a small pack of wet wipes in the bottom of the frame pack with 2l of water in the 3l bladder to get it to shove in there. It poofs out quite a bit but everything is stable. In the left feedbag I have my spare tube, patches, extra batteries, toiletries, sunscreen, multitool, pack of contact lenses, eye drops. Right feedbag has my glasses (so I can see if something happens to my contacts) and snacks. Fuel tank has a battery backup for my phone and snacks. Seatbag still has the tent, ground pad, and sleeping bag. Strapped below are camp shoes and on top is my rain jacket. In my jersey pockets I will have my phone, wallet, and snacks.

Kind of having second thoughts about the bladder idea and thinking about running two 24oz bottles instead (one in cage and one in the left feedbag, moving stuff from feedbag into frame pack). We have a few refuel stops where I can top off on liquids and I can always buy an extra water to throw in my jersey if I feel I need more in reserve.

Signature.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. 11-08-2015 11:23 AM #29
      Good read if you have a few minutes:

http://adventure-journal.com/2015/11...krafting-trip/

Vehicles
      Bought not built.
      11-09-2015 07:10 PM #30
      First trip went very well. Ended up with 98 miles on day one and 79 the following day back home. Lots of sweet dirt roads, double track, single track, rail trail, and country paved roads. Two bottles worked well for the most part although next time I will have a third. After the new year I am doing the entire route in one day with no sleep over to test myself for possible CFiTT effort.

Last edited by A1an; 11-09-2015 at 07:16 PM.
      Signature.

Vehicles
      torque and no torque
      11-12-2015 02:23 PM #31
      Cool setups on the bikepacking bikes. I've done bike-camping, but mostly road/fire road stuff. Been itching to do off road touring but would need another bike and more cajones.

I've got an updated '83 Trek that is my main touring rig. From my Maine trip a few years back:

I've also used the tandem a bunch. Tandems are great for touring because you never get split from your partner on hills, etc. You can also pin the map to the captain's back.

I had to use my Bianchi in a pinch last year, and barely got enough heel clearance. That, and the toe overlap with the fender was a PITA.

Vehicles
      Bought not built.
      02-02-2016 08:51 PM #32
      Planning a bikepacking trip in Idaho with some friends (one of them lives in Boise). Has anyone been out there? Any suggestions for routes? I was looking at maybe doing 2-3 days of the hot spring route with the single track options. I would be shipping my single speed bike out there so trying to plan ahead for gearing.
      Signature.

Vehicles
      86 Cabbie, 82 Rabbit
      03-15-2016 10:17 AM #33
      Yep. I spent quite a bit of time there in Boise. The park rangers at the eastern end of town had great maps and suggestion. The head ranger is a mountain bike nut. My favorite ride was South of Boise to the ghost towns. I think one was called Silver City. You can ride minimal pavement if you link maps from downtown to the dam and then through the rock garden. There's also the Hot Springs route. I have to look back at my adventure history for exact information. I did all the trails in the weeks I was there. Bring something warm and a wind breaker. It gets crazy in the mountains even on Three Bears and Hard Guy.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      Bought not built.
      07-10-2018 01:56 PM #34
      Digging this thread up from the grave. Anyone into it, about to get into it, considering getting into it, etc?

I went on my third bikepacking trip...this time up to North GA in May and had an absolute blast. Total trip was 83 miles with about 8400' of climbing split fairly evenly over two days. Camped the day before and got dumped on. Got dumped on again last half of the first day and overnight. Learned I'm not into this single wall ultra light Tarptent I have...when it pours you get a fine misting inside the tent. Was going to sell it but may keep it around for not so wet trips.

Went ahead and bought the Revelate harness for the bar. Loving it and it should work on my cx if I want to try that out on more gravel/road type trips. I eventually want to get their Terrapin seat bag as well. Still working on dialing in my kit but I'm getting there. Learning what I need and don't need but food I have dialed in really well. I refuse to pack a stove so went with a 10-pack fajita tortillas to use with assorted nut butters and foil packs of tuna supplemented with the usual stuff and convenient store goodies. Packs flat and easy/quick to prepare with high caloric value.

obligatory bridge selfie:

Last edited by A1an; 07-10-2018 at 01:59 PM.
      Signature.

12. 07-11-2018 07:24 AM #35
      A1an can't see the pics, sounds like a sweet trip though!!

13. 07-11-2018 08:55 AM #36
      I always had the misconception that these were trips where you "go in" for a while and then "come out" to grab more food.

You guys are staying all the way in the entire time.

Kudos.

Question:
      What is the success level of people carrying a filtration bottle or device and tabs or something instead of lugging around such a big weight of water?

Also, I'd assume your fat burning capability and replenishment would be a good asset to have on these trips. Long lower intensity efforts.
      -------- [email protected]
      ----- _`\<,_
      ---- (*)/ (*)
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Vehicles
      Bought not built.
      07-11-2018 11:58 AM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by geoffp View Post
      A1an can't see the pics, sounds like a sweet trip though!!
      Weird. I've tried linking Google pics in the past but I could never get them to show...this time its working (for me at least). Wondering if I need to update a setting to get them to show publicly?

Quote Originally Posted by burnthesheep View Post
      I always had the misconception that these were trips where you "go in" for a while and then "come out" to grab more food.

You guys are staying all the way in the entire time.

Kudos.

Question:
      What is the success level of people carrying a filtration bottle or device and tabs or something instead of lugging around such a big weight of water?

Also, I'd assume your fat burning capability and replenishment would be a good asset to have on these trips. Long lower intensity efforts.
      I use a Sawyer squeeze filter...cheap and super compact. Downside is you can split the bag at the seam if you push too hard. We had two guys using a pump (MRP I think) that was easy to use and fast as well.

For me I need to graze on calories all day. I had a huge pack of nut mix that I added a bag of coffee pnut m&ms to. Munch on that plus gummy bears or whatever all day. I try to get one bottle of electrolyte drink if I can. Tried that NUUN stuff since it is compact and hated it...terrible aftertaste and made my stomach turn. I may pack single serve zip locks of my favorite mix next time. Meals depend on the route. I like to go as light as possible so if I can refuel on the route I'll go that way as opposed to lugging around food since it is so heavy and takes up a lot of space.
      Signature.

Vehicles
      Ghetto35, Lifted AWD Prius
      07-12-2018 11:44 AM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by A1an View Post
      Tried that NUUN stuff since it is compact and hated it...terrible aftertaste and made my stomach turn.
      Yeah, that stuff is nasty, as is anything that uses something aside from plain old sugar as a sweetener.

I've been sort of but not really planning a bikepacking trip with a buddy back in MO. The plan is to do a huge chunk of or the entire Katy trail (240 miles). The issues are that 1) it's sort of boring, flat, straight rail trail, 2) I don't think either of us are the type to actually pull the trigger on this, and 3) we'd stay at some of the multitude of bed and breakfasts along the trail instead of camp, most likely.

A shorter, more interesting route would be preferable, at least to start. Maybe somewhere up around the Blue Ridge Parkway, be it gravel roads and singletrack or on the parkway itself. There were tons of great options for this when I lived out west... it looks like it's harder to find a good route around NC.

Vehicles
      Bought not built.
      07-12-2018 12:38 PM #39
      Lots of great riding up in NC for bikepackers from what I hear. Friends of mine did this one back in May:

https://www.strava.com/activities/1570372038

Looks like that top smaller portion would be a good sub 100 mile loop...just chop off the big southern chunk.
      Signature.

Vehicles
      Bought not built.
      07-30-2018 08:57 AM #40
      Slow Monday morning at work so grabbed pics from Strava to see if they show here. What are you guys using to post pictures these days? I'm seeing a lot that seem to be uploaded via Tapatalk...are you able to just pick photos from phone via Tapatalk to add to your post? Haven't really looked into that at all.

Jacket over hole I put in tent from carelessly placing support pole in wrong spot...worked out okay:

Signature.

18. 08-06-2018 11:23 AM #41
      My buddy hit me up yesterday and asked if I'd like to join him on a ride from Pittsburgh, PA to Washington D.C. on the Great Allegheny Passage / C&O Canal Trail in October/November. I said yes, of course. We figure 5 days is plenty of time. I've been wanting to do a trip like this for some time. I'm planning on taking my Surly Wednesday which is completely stock. Any suggestions as to how I should plan out loading it up? I'm thinking a frame bag, rear rack?, maybe a front rack? I'd prefer not to wear a backpack.

My Surly
      Surly Wednesday by Geoff Potter, on Flickr

Thinking about a setup like this Ogre:

Vehicles
      Ghetto35, Lifted AWD Prius
      08-06-2018 11:39 AM #42
      Ooh, I've always wanted to ride that one too. As the resident pathlete, it really appeals to me. It looks like a more interesting version of the Katy trail in MO. Plus, there looks to be 25 mile slight downhill (1%) after the continental divide. So, that's sorta fun.

I have no recommendations on how to pack, but I'll be interested to see how it goes. There does appear to be quite a lot of support/towns/shops at regular intervals along the trail, so I would imagine that it would be possible to pack somewhat light.

Vehicles
      Bought not built.
      08-07-2018 09:57 AM #43
      Only downside I see on racks is reports of some hardware breakage on rougher trails. Doesn't seem to be as much of an issue if this is mostly gravel or pavement, but something to think about if you want to add some single track adventures down the road. Racks do seem to afford the opportunity to pack much more on the bike...which could be a blessing and a curse.

Frame bags are awesome and a great place to stash all your heavy stuff with minimal negative impact on how the bike handles. Those smaller tangle type frame bags like the one in the photo are great if you want to keep the two original bottle mounts (and be able to use it on other frames possibly) but for multi day trips I'd go all out on a full frame bag loaded up with all my food (and whatever), hang a large nalgene bottle off the down tube, then carry 1-2 bottles using feed bags on the bar/stem.
      Signature.

Vehicles
      Bought not built.
      02-07-2019 10:05 PM #44
      So anyone have any plans for some bike packing trips this year?

Planning an overnight weekend trip for April headed from Croom (Brooksville, FL) up to Santos (Ocala, FL) and back using single, double, gravel, limestone, and some pavement connectors. 70-100 miles each day.

October going to tackle the Tally Tango 160 again with a goal of taking off an hour of my thru ride time from this prior year.

December is the Cross FL Individual Time Trial...mostly dirt route of 300+ miles taking you from the Atlantic to the Gulf. It's originally 250ish but a ferry has been out of operation for the last couple years after one of the hurricane s hit. Going to try to push through with no sleep. Lots of guys tour the route over 2-4 days.

Feb 2020 I'll try for the Huracan 300 (actually about 380) which is a huge mostly dirt loop in central FL. Would like to push through with no sleep but need to see how CFiTT goes. May end up pitching a tent or going the bivvy route. Another one that lots of guys tour for 3-5 days.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
      Signature.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12