VWVortex.com - Has anyone investigated retrofitting DCC?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Has anyone investigated retrofitting DCC?

1. Member
      Vehicles
      '15 GTI '95 BMW M3
      05-13-2015 09:38 AM #1
      Disclaimer: I'm not seriously looking to do this, just curious if anyone else has looked into it as it might be something I'd like to do when my original shocks are due for replacement. I love the idea of having it ride like a '72 Caddy for my commute and pumping it up to eliminate body roll on the weekends.

I opted not to go for the PP+DCC when I bought my car, partly to keep the cost of the car reasonable (paying near-as-makes-no-difference-to-30k for a GTI was painful enough), partly because I needed to get a new car somewhat quickly and ordering wasn't an option, and partly because my car is merely a commuter that is going to ferry my dog and I around the DC area for the next 5+ years, so as cool as it would be to have a diff and big front brakes, I'm not going to miss them 99.9% of the time I'm in the car.

However, being in the DC area, the roads are not the greatest. If the DCC had been available apart from the PP I would've tried to get it.

I know there are aftermarket coilover setups that offer electronically adjustable dampening. There's the KW DCCs which are $3k+ I think, and the Bilstein B16s (?) which are about $2k+. However I don't need any ride height adjustability. Like I said, this car is a commuter that gets used year round in the DC area, I need ground clearance for snow and poorly designed shopping centers and driveways with ridiculous entry angles. My other car has 3 inches of clearance from the front lip and I scrape it nearly every time I drive it.

Does anyone know if you can purchase just adjustable dampeners outside of a coilover kit that could be used with the factory springs? I'm assuming it would be impossible or just too much of a pain to try and integrate them with the factory DCC settings, but that's fine, I wouldn't mind tucking a control panel into the center cubby.

I also wonder if the cars are prewired for the OEM DCC option so that you could simply install them, plug them in and then turn on the settings in VAG COM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      05-13-2015 10:01 AM #2
      I've also been wondering about this. This past winter really did a number on the roads around here. The stock suspension does a fantastic job around town but can be a little abusive on long highways where the road has buckled every 200 feet.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      '15 GTI '95 BMW M3
      05-13-2015 10:16 AM #3
      Yeah I will admit I'm pretty blown away by what they've done with the factory suspension. It does an amazing job of soaking up all the road damage I encounter in this area, but still seems to dive into a corner with the minimal amount of body roll. That said, I think some form of adjustable damper would take it even further, making it ride like a luxury car and really insulate all the bumps and potholes from the cabin while I'm in town, and then really dial up the feedback when I do manage to find a nice road.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. Member
      Vehicles
      VW Golf mkVII 103TSI Highline (1.4L Turbo)
      05-13-2015 10:36 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by SlimKlim View Post
      Disclaimer: I'm not seriously looking to do this, just curious if anyone else has looked into it as it might be something I'd like to do when my original shocks are due for replacement. I love the idea of having it ride like a '72 Caddy for my commute and pumping it up to eliminate body roll on the weekends.

I opted not to go for the PP+DCC when I bought my car, partly to keep the cost of the car reasonable (paying near-as-makes-no-difference-to-30k for a GTI was painful enough), partly because I needed to get a new car somewhat quickly and ordering wasn't an option, and partly because my car is merely a commuter that is going to ferry my dog and I around the DC area for the next 5+ years, so as cool as it would be to have a diff and big front brakes, I'm not going to miss them 99.9% of the time I'm in the car.

However, being in the DC area, the roads are not the greatest. If the DCC had been available apart from the PP I would've tried to get it.

I know there are aftermarket coilover setups that offer electronically adjustable dampening. There's the KW DCCs which are $3k+ I think, and the Bilstein B16s (?) which are about $2k+. However I don't need any ride height adjustability. Like I said, this car is a commuter that gets used year round in the DC area, I need ground clearance for snow and poorly designed shopping centers and driveways with ridiculous entry angles. My other car has 3 inches of clearance from the front lip and I scrape it nearly every time I drive it.

Does anyone know if you can purchase just adjustable dampeners outside of a coilover kit that could be used with the factory springs? I'm assuming it would be impossible or just too much of a pain to try and integrate them with the factory DCC settings, but that's fine, I wouldn't mind tucking a control panel into the center cubby.

I also wonder if the cars are prewired for the OEM DCC option so that you could simply install them, plug them in and then turn on the settings in VAG COM.
      SlimKlim: Not sure if you are aware just how sophisticated the self levelling system (i.e. DCC) is on a mk7! I very much doubt that the task of retro-fitting a complete system would be tackled by a DYI owner. Here's' an overview of the all the components that would need to be added

After all these bits are installed, there is then a couple of calibration procedures that need to be completed. I doubt that VCDS cables would be capable of doing these procedures

7. Member
      Vehicles
      '15 GTI '95 BMW M3
      05-13-2015 11:04 AM #5
      Wow! You're absolutely right, I didn't know it had a self leveling feature, if the labor wasn't prohibitive the cost certainly would be.

So it sounds like the only solution would be to find an aftermarket damper available outside of a coilover kit, or just suck it up and drop $2k+ for coilovers.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      GT3, Z71, TDI, CT70, Z50, Parlee, Boosted Board
      05-13-2015 11:09 AM #6
      As a DCC owner, I could honestly do without it.

It's cool to play with initially but then it just stays in normal mode.

DCC also limits your aftermarket suspension options to currently nothing but lowering springs which all ride like **** on stock shocks and the future KW DCC kit which is upwards of $3500.

The grass is always greener I guess...

9. Member
      Vehicles
      '15 GTI '95 BMW M3
      05-13-2015 11:13 AM #7
      Too bad you aren't east coast, we could be guinea pigs and attempt a full suspension conversion.

Vehicles
      90 Talon TSi AWD, 90 240SX, 95 Talon TSi AWD, 04 350Z Touring, 15 GTI PP/LP/DCC
      05-13-2015 11:20 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Oreganoflow View Post
      As a DCC owner, I could honestly do without it.

It's cool to play with initially but then it just stays in normal mode.

DCC also limits your aftermarket suspension options to currently nothing but lowering springs which all ride like **** on stock shocks and the future KW DCC kit which is upwards of $3500.

The grass is always greener I guess...
      I can totally understand your point. I would say that if I lived in Cali I would totally agree. Here in the north east though, with the rough winters, the roads can be really crappy. I see a benefit to DCC during my daily commute using Comfort mode, and I am really glad I have it. If I lived anywhere else, I probably wouldn't have opted for it.
      MK7 GTI SE DSG PP/LP/DCC
      "Build" Log Here

11. Member
      Vehicles
      1996 BMW M3; 2015 Golf R; 2018 Audi Q5
      05-13-2015 05:46 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by DV52 View Post
      SlimKlim: Not sure if you are aware just how sophisticated the self levelling system (i.e. DCC) is on a mk7! I very much doubt that the task of retro-fitting a complete system would be tackled by a DYI owner. Here's' an overview of the all the components that would need to be added
      And imagine trying to run all the wiring harnesses, which literally extend out to each corner of the car.
      Then imagine trying to pay for all of that the manufacturer's spare part pricing levels — yikes!

The most cost effective way to get DCC? Sell the existing car and buy one that comes with it.

Neil

12. Former Advertiser SW2 Tuning's Avatar
      Vehicles
      GTI SW2 #00
      05-13-2015 06:05 PM #10
      The DCC experience is probably changed drastically depending on where you live. Personally, my car stays in Comfort 80% of the time (West Los Angeles has roads that look like a 3rd world country), and when I go to Sport for the occasional fast driving it's like night and day. I definitely wouldn't be as happy with the car if it was "stuck" in Sport mode like a standard GTI.

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R
      05-13-2015 07:32 PM #11
      I looked into adding DCC to my 2012 R. The simplest, most cost effective way is too use KW's kit. It's still gonna run you 3k+ and may not be as comfortable as the factory setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. 04-16-2020 11:00 AM #12
      There is a company in the Porsche world that sells replacement ecu for the existing dampers that allow you to custom tune the different way the dampers react to certain inputs. Making a stock Porsche pasm system a more active suspension functionality.

They have an improved computer box for golf 7 with dcc. I’m on the boat without a dcc...and I hate the ride of my car. It’s harsh when driving slow and really falls to pieces when driving hard. Car feels horrible. Anyway I inquired and they do sell a full standalone system that you can put on golf 7 without dcc. An ecu w built in g sensor...commented to 4 electronic coil overs. Programmable.

Although the shock function inputs are limited to g force. No input on throttle position, brake pressure, etc. so I’m a bit skeptical how good it it is.

Works with bilstein dampers as well...although they are selling Tractive dampers...which is superior to Porsche dampers...reacts faster and has a bigger range.

Currently considering if I should spend the money on this, or just got with kw or ohlins.

Search DSC Sport in google.

15. Member
      Vehicles
      MK7.5 GTI, MK5 GTI
      04-16-2020 01:20 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by lordnikon228 View Post
      It's pointless to say that you can do without DCC when you don't compare it to something else. Has anyone actually compared the ride between a non DCC GTI and ones with it?

My car does not have DCC and the ride can be harsh at times. (No shipping pucks and they're already on 17" rims)
      I've driven both and despite what most people say the DCC is worth every penny hands down.

It's regarded as one of the best factory systems on the market today. All of the reviews say it keeps the body roll under control without being overdamped. You actually get usable comfort, normal and sport modes.

From personal experience I think that the comfort mode alone is worth the price premium when optioning a new car. As far as a retrofit kit goes OP I'd say that you're better spending your money on a good set of coilovers, or if you're really in the mood for an adaptive suspension maybe some sort of KW kit.
      DBP MK7.5 GTI w/Experience Package and DSG; UG MK5 GTI; CW MK5 R32 #745/5000 (sold); BMP 20th AE (sold); TR MK3 Jetta GLS (sold)

Vehicles
      2017 GTI/Sport, 2015 Golf/S
      04-20-2020 05:30 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by NeilCM View Post
      And imagine trying to run all the wiring harnesses, which literally extend out to each corner of the car.
      Then imagine trying to pay for all of that the manufacturer's spare part pricing levels — yikes!

The most cost effective way to get DCC? Sell the existing car and buy one that comes with it.

Neil
      Not to mention all the coding too....
      MY17 CSG Sport; DSG, RSe12 hyper black's, Continental DWS 06, CSS muffler, TCR rear spoiler, Auto-fold mirrors, Bilstein B8/H&R sport springs, H&R 26mm rear SB; Ed's Mk.7 LED tails; 35% ceramic tint; OBDeleven coding.

17. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2016 Golf R 6MT
      09-10-2020 01:53 PM #15
      I currently have DCC on my OEM shocks and springs. Forgive me, i have an mk7 R but I feel this question is universal.

I was shopping for springs and found someone with a mk7 GTI (with no DCC) selling the OEM+ Driver Gear springs already loaded on some OEM struts, with less mileage than me. I figure if its possible to just drop in those into my car and it will work... however I was wondering if I could just "plug" my DCC (sensors?) into the new pieces that didn't have DCC...

Thanks all for my newb question.
      2016 Golf R 6MT - IE Stage 1
      2011 Porsche 987.2 6MT - stock Sold
      2017 Subaru BRZ 6MT Stage 2+ Sold
      2006 Acura RSX 5MT - stock Totaled via fender bender

18. Semi-n00b
      09-11-2020 05:33 AM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by exacc View Post
      There is a company in the Porsche world that sells replacement ecu for the existing dampers that allow you to custom tune the different way the dampers react to certain inputs. Making a stock Porsche pasm system a more active suspension functionality.

They have an improved computer box for golf 7 with dcc. I’m on the boat without a dcc...and I hate the ride of my car. It’s harsh when driving slow and really falls to pieces when driving hard. Car feels horrible. Anyway I inquired and they do sell a full standalone system that you can put on golf 7 without dcc. An ecu w built in g sensor...commented to 4 electronic coil overs. Programmable.

Although the shock function inputs are limited to g force. No input on throttle position, brake pressure, etc. so I’m a bit skeptical how good it it is.

Works with bilstein dampers as well...although they are selling Tractive dampers...which is superior to Porsche dampers...reacts faster and has a bigger range.

Currently considering if I should spend the money on this, or just got with kw or ohlins.

Search DSC Sport in google.
      You’re probably referring to Tractive Suspension. DSC Sport has partnered with Tractive to do some of the Porsche applications where the DSC box replaces the PASM box. Tractive makes the dampers. Tractive also has a stand-alone controller.

With all the expense involved in retrofitting DCC, it might make more sense to install Tractive dampers and you’ll have an even better suspension set up.

09-16-2020 11:00 AM #17
      This guy retrofitted it. Scroll down to #23 on the page.

http://jimmy-cbx.blogspot.com/p/golf...-possible.html
      CB Rabbit

Vehicles
      MK7.5 Golf GTI AB
      09-16-2020 05:18 PM #18
      The dude is in Singapore. I can't imagine the cost including labour.