Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Reliable Transportation: 2005 Audi A6

1. 11-23-2015 09:26 AM #51
      How was the first test of Quattro this weekend?
      Greg

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

02-25-2019 09:25 AM #52
      Hi, it's certainly been a few years since the last update. In that time we moved to Europe for a two years and as a result the car just sat. It was an expensive couple years of sitting. On our return the following needed to be replaced:
      -New battery (was expecting this)
      -New ignition switch
      -New electric park brake module
      -New rear pads and rotors (i was also expecting this)
      -New rear tail lights (these were previously cracked but while the car sat a lot of water got in there and froze, ultimately cracking the trail lights to the point that they really needed to be replaced).

After driving a few days the AC compressor clutch seized. So it was back to the dealer for a new compressor, and accessory drive belt. While they were in there they also found the vacuum pump cracked and leaking a bit of oil, they replaced that too.

$$$$. I could have bought another used A6 for that. But then I knew that going into this.

So now on to the "fun" stuff. The OEM headlights are complete garbage, and even after a good polishing (i'm on a routine of two times a year to keep them looking decent) the light output is horrible. When driving at night, if another car is behind me my car casts a shadow in my field of view. The AFS on the driver's side has failed, and all the wires internal to the lights have become so brittle that when you touch them when changing a bulb the insulation crumbles off.

While in Europe I picked up a set of Depo brand euro headlights. These face lift look bi-xenon units are intended for the pre-face lift cars without AFS. They've got the LED strip across the bottom for the DRL and an H11 in the space of the old DRL that acts as an additional high beam. Most importantly they use butyl rubber to seal the lens to the body, not the permaseal that the OEM used. That means they're a hell of a lot easier to open up.

I'm tiered of sub-par light output. The intent is to do this right once and for all, so here we go.

The standard projectors in the Depo euro lights are nothing special. I got to see them in action in Europe and while certainly better than what i've got now the beam pattern is ok but the light output is still dim compared to the other new cars on the road. They will be replaced with a set of Morimoto Mini D2S 4.0. I've also got new bulbs, new ballasts, and some yellow high beam halogen bulbs that i'll use because i like the subtle look of that Corrado french bulb cap euro light.

IMG_1100 by Raven, on Flickr

IMG_1103 by Raven, on Flickr

It's necessary to remove the lens from the headlight body. The recipe to get this done is 275deg F in the oven for 15 minutes and repeat. I probably put them back in 5 times before the lens was able to be separated.

The implements:

IMG_1118 by Raven, on Flickr

Important, need to remove these small nails first. There are six of them. I also removed the two moisture breather hoses before all the baking.

IMG_1113 by Raven, on Flickr

IMG_1116 by Raven, on Flickr

Eventually the lens comes off with a little more force than i was comfortable with but luckily it came off without damage, and I could begin disassembling the rest of the headlight parts.

IMG_1120 by Raven, on Flickr

IMG_1089 by Raven, on Flickr

IMG_1126 by Raven, on Flickr

This is the standard projector. Note that its mounted on the back side of the bracket.

IMG_1125 by Raven, on Flickr

Here's some comparison pictures of the standard projector and the Morimoto 4.0. The Morimoto is the same diameter but smaller overall. Thus it's not a direct bolt in.

IMG_1129 by Raven, on Flickr

IMG_1130 by Raven, on Flickr

IMG_1131 by Raven, on Flickr

IMG_1109 by Raven, on Flickr

IMG_1087 by Raven, on Flickr

I figured out that if I mount the Morimoto on the front of the bracket instead of the rear that it would be nearly perfect. That so i made some through holes and ran some bolts with nylock nuts to secure them.

IMG_1096 by Raven, on Flickr

IMG_1137 by Raven, on Flickr

IMG_1136 by Raven, on Flickr

IMG_1138 by Raven, on Flickr

IMG_1146 by Raven, on Flickr

It's necessary to remove all the old butyl rubber from the groove that the lens sits in. This is the worst part of the whole thing. It seems like no amount of scraping or cutting was getting it to come out. Whiskey helped. so did warming the unit in the oven. I did the first light over the course of 4 days and got very frustrated (also drunk).

The second one went smoother. I skipped the razor blades and just used a flat head and some pliers. The moment it didnt come off - back in the oven it went. I was able to get it done in a few hours.

IMG_1153 by Raven, on Flickr

Now the easy part. Re-assembly.

IMG_1161 by Raven, on Flickr

I was able to reuse the black shrouds that came with the Depo lights. I like the way it looks and it most certainly was easier than trying to trim some other shroud to fit.

IMG_1155 by Raven, on Flickr

IMG_1133 by Raven, on Flickr

IMG_1158 by Raven, on Flickr

IMG_1162 by Raven, on Flickr

The lenses are still sitting loosely on the headlight bodies. I'll mount them to the car, make sure everything is pointing light in the right direction, and then seal them up again.

That's all for now. Thanks for reading.

4. 02-25-2019 12:56 PM #53
      2005 A6 "reliable transportation" LOL best joke on here

5. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      02-25-2019 01:12 PM #54
      Good to see you taking the measures to bring the car back up to snuff.

Many would have just posted it for sale and taken the loss.
      Instagram - efrie004

02-25-2019 05:07 PM #55
      Quote Originally Posted by appleman View Post
      2005 A6 "reliable transportation" LOL best joke on here
      everything is relative.

Vehicles
      Manual Avant
      02-25-2019 07:49 PM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by corrado-correr View Post
      everything is relative.
      Exactly. My B6 A4 wagon has plenty of issues, but, it ALWAYS starts, and even did so a few weeks ago in -25F temps in Chicago. Whats amusing though it that parts for it are dirt cheap, and even at 165k, its a workhorse, and its cost of ownership is incredibly low .

10-09-2019 03:45 PM #57
      I finished the head lights! It took a drive home from the airport at night with a complete failure of the driver's side main beam (i'm guessing it was the ballast that went bad) to give me the motivation I needed.

Here's the first test fit on the car with the main beam on. I wanted to make sure everything worked before I sealed the lenses back on. Check out that super foggy old headlight on the passenger side.

Audi Headlights by Raven, on Flickr

BTW: peg board is so much better to lay on than the traditional cardboard.

With the lens on - we have for comparison: all lights off, DRL only, main beam only, and high beams.

Here's the first test of the main beams on in the day light. I was super pumped that you can even see the cut off in full sunlight.

[
      url=https://flic.kr/p/2hskKgF]Audi Headlights[/url] by Raven, on Flickr

... and at night.

I can see!!!! ... and I guess I'm one of those guys now, there is a significant 'purple' ribbon above the cut of line - i'm not super jazzed about it, but maybe I'll get used to it.

The AFS functionality is gone but the leveling motors still work. As previously mentioned the AFS on the driver's side was non operational for a few years anyway, so no real loss there. I was able to code out the AFS fault in the instrument cluster by pulling some fusses and making some changes with VCDS. I still need to find some time for fine adjustment, but for now its tuned low (if the cut off is below a lowered Miata, it doesn't get too much lower than that) and safe to prevent glare on other drivers.

I love walking up to the car and not seeing fogged out headlights.

Looking forward to an illuminated dark winter.

Vehicles
      a Metro pass.
      10-09-2019 07:15 PM #58
      All jokes aside, I've read on several occasions that the 3.2L versions of this body A6 were not that bad maintenance-wise. The V8 and V10 versions are a whole other toilet full of sauerkraut, though.
      Quote Originally Posted by Metallitubby View Post
      Subaru fans chalk their negative experiences up to being part of a smaller brand and character. Something about beards, lesbians, and douche-flutes.

Vehicles
      '14 WRB Frontier, '08 Outback, '98 M3, '91 GTI
      10-09-2019 08:35 PM #59
      Quote Originally Posted by kraut_pauer79 View Post
      All jokes aside, I've read on several occasions that the 3.2L versions of this body A6 were not that bad maintenance-wise. The V8 and V10 versions are a whole other toilet full of sauerkraut, though.
      Honestly, I’ve got nothing but good things to say about my folks’ old ‘08 A6 Avant, the last year of the 3.2 in that chassis. It ran up to 150k miles running like a sewing machine, and the engine never needed any extra attention.

Vehicles
      17 Tesla Model X, 13 RRS Supercharged, 08 Ferrari F430, 01 Porsche Boxster, 07 Touareg V10 TDI
      10-09-2019 11:03 PM #60
      Very nice! I like to see someone putting work into a perfectly good car instead of letting it die.

Vehicles
      15 GSW, 19 Tiguan SE, 03 20th, 88 Cabby, 64 Yamaha
      10-10-2019 06:00 AM #61
      Great work on the lights. Not many would put that kind of time in, myself included, but the results are amazing.

13. Member
      10-10-2019 08:29 AM #62
      Quote Originally Posted by Stevo12 View Post
      Honestly, I’ve got nothing but good things to say about my folks’ old ‘08 A6 Avant, the last year of the 3.2 in that chassis. It ran up to 150k miles running like a sewing machine, and the engine never needed any extra attention.
      My 2008 3.2 is just cresting 155k miles and while this year has been the most expensive in replacement parts, IE all front bushings, taillights replaced and an AC sensor, the car still starts everyday, is a monster in the snow, cruises on the highway like a dream and for a big car drives pretty nicely down a backroad. Yes, replacement parts may be cheaper for a comparable Camry/Lexus etc., but the car is still solid for its age. The independent shop I bring it to says he has customers with a 3.2 A6 with 300k on the clock so with regular maintenance they seem to hold together fine. As much as I would like more power I am pretty glad it is not the 4.2.
      2008 Audi A6 3.2 S-line - 2018 Audi Q5 - 1995 Chevrolet Corvette
      Sold
      2016 Mazda CX-9 - 2004 Lexus RX330 - 1999 Mercury Grand Marquis - 2002 Hyundai Accent GL - 2010 Camaro SS/RS - 1979 Pontiac Firebird - 1978 Datsun 280z - 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt - 1994 Ford Ranger XLT

10-17-2019 09:38 PM #63
      On the subject of Reliable Transportation, things that have happened:
      -Replaced Electric Parking Brake module. The new parking brake still doesnt work, but at least the loud always on "beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep" alarm is not active. I will need to replace the driver side park brake motor as well at some point.
      -New brake pads and rotors. I went with Akebono pads, these dust a whole lot less than the OEM pads. I'm happy with them.
      -Rear shocks were blown. Replaced the whole suspension with KW ST coil overs. Now i reliably scrape the lip and get high centered in my driveway if im not careful.
      -At some point I bought some 19x8 BBS CH wheels. I like them.

Things to do:
      -The valve cover gaskets need to be replaced. I'm getting oil puddling in the spark plug holes.
      -The windshield washer fluid is leaking somewhere. I suspect this is something that came undone after removing the bumper for the headlight replacment.
      -The passenger rear wheel speed sensor needs to be replaced or just unplugged and plugged back in.

Otherwise everything is great. So here's something cool that happened yesterday...

A good friend of mine likes to do detail work as a hobby. I was half joking when I said, "So when are you going to do my car?" and shocked when he said, "bring it by Wednesday."

I didn’t think the paint was very good, I know that my bumper has rock chips, there's scratches and swirls everywhere, and the roof had developed some sort of hazy oxidation. I didn’t expect much and I told my friend not to try to go above and beyond - rather just protect it from getting worse. I underestimated the possibility of a good detail.

First he washed it.

Polished A6 by Raven, on Flickr

Then he sprayed it with something called iron.x. This helps remove any metallic dusts or deposits. The whole car starts to bleed purple.

He wet sanded some parts. Then a good deal of time spent with a cutting compond.

Almost all the swirls were gone at this point.

I was pretty jazzed about the progress at this point. But we ran out of day light and would have to continue with the rest the next day.

The next day my buddy did the whole car with a polishing compound.

And then a ceramic coating.

And finished.

Last edited by corrado-correr; 10-17-2019 at 09:55 PM.

Vehicles
      "18 Macan S, '14 Boxster
      10-17-2019 10:15 PM #64
      Very nice!
      Keep right except to pass!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123