VWVortex.com - Good-bye mustang, hello...(or, how like several others, I might have made a terrible financial mistake)
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Good-bye mustang, hello...(or, how like several others, I might have made a terrible financial mistake)

Vehicles
      '17 Golf R DSG, '12 Crosstour V6 AWD nav, '09 Civic Si 4d nav
      07-30-2018 10:46 AM #76
      Quote Originally Posted by 6cylVWguy View Post
      Well, it's been a year since my last update. Where do things stand? Pretty much the same as last year. I haven't done any new adventures with the car, but I would like to do an autocross in it in August or September. There are lots of pics of the car in this thread and it looks the same now, so no new pics to report. Here's what's been purchased in relation to the car over the last year:

-A new set of rear tires (potenza S-04, which match the fronts and came with the car when I bought it)
      -Spare tire kit to accompany the inflate-a-tire gunk that came with the car
      -Foxwell NT510 code reader
      -Maintenance: flush the brake fluid; flush replace the power steering fluid; change the oil (at this point all of the fluids have been replaced at least once since I bought the car)
      -Unscheduled fixes: replaced the plastic trim around the steering wheel as it was peeling; 2 abs/speed sensors (left side, front and rear sensors)

Total mileage: 46,500

Overall, the car has been great. Still love driving it, it's still a perfect balance of performance and reasonable comfort. Still no regrets on getting a car with limited optional equipment.
      Really good to hear this. I always loved these but not sure I will ever own one at this point. One of the best overall cars I have ever driven if not the best.
      Past: '06 Accord V6, '95 Taurus SHO, '01 ITR, '98 Civic HX CVT

Quote Originally Posted by jamerican1
      Dude, you know you're like the opposite of a purist, right?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      2017 STI
      07-30-2018 11:14 AM #77
      I'd love to own one of these. Street parking and dealing with inner city roads has prevented me from pursuing one. Nice thread.
      I like bikes.
      Gone: 2010 VW GTI

Vehicles
      99' M3, 06' 4Runner, '13 CX5
      07-30-2018 02:54 PM #78
      Just reading this thread. Wonderful M3, probably how I'd spec one out given the choice. I love not having the NAV. Seriously, I just use my phone.

E9X would be a great M3 to own, but I don't feel an overwhelming need to replace my E36 M3... it's a bit more of a toy for me being a 2nd car.
      GLi : M3 : CX5
      OSD#2

Vehicles
      2012 Chevrolet Cruze, 2016 Raleigh Merit Competition
      07-30-2018 03:18 PM #79
      I've been seeing more of these around lately as the prices on them have dropping. I think they have the best exhaust note produced in the last ten years, especially when coupled with an exhaust the exemplifies the blurble of the V8 rather than the top-end raspy-ness.
      Kegels - Team MLP
      Pearl Jam - Hartford 10 | Soundgarden - Mansfield 11 | Chris Cornell - Torrington 11 | Rush - Bridgeport 12 | Soundgarden - NYC 13 | Soundgarden - Wallingford 13 | Pearl Jam - Worcester 13 | Chris Cornell - New Haven 13 | Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - Hartford 14 | Steely Dan - Wallingford 14 | Yes - Mashantucket 17

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '18 Jeep SRT; '11 M3 ZCP; '94 SLC
      07-30-2018 04:21 PM #80
      Quote Originally Posted by Ross1013 View Post
      Really good to hear this. I always loved these but not sure I will ever own one at this point. One of the best overall cars I have ever driven if not the best.
      They're still out there, fairly affordable, and the later ones aren't all that old. There are even some reasonable options for the stereotypical problems associated with this gen of the M3

Quote Originally Posted by johnny_p View Post
      I'd love to own one of these. Street parking and dealing with inner city roads has prevented me from pursuing one. Nice thread.
      If you ever go to the cars and coffee events out in the philly burbs, let me know. Happy meet up. I agree though, I definitely wouldn't want to own anything all that nice if I was living in the middle of a city.

Quote Originally Posted by danny_16v View Post
      Just reading this thread. Wonderful M3, probably how I'd spec one out given the choice. I love not having the NAV. Seriously, I just use my phone.

E9X would be a great M3 to own, but I don't feel an overwhelming need to replace my E36 M3... it's a bit more of a toy for me being a 2nd car.
      I agree, my phone works great for my purposes. However, the only weakness in the tech capabilities of the car (for me, that is) is that I cannot stream music via BT because I do not have iDrive. I have standard BT that works great for calls, but I'd like to be able to go wireless when streaming music. I mean, I'd have a hard time convincing someone of any other generation to move to a different generation. Each generation seems to have a very distinct personality with associated plusses and minuses. Which makes sense when I think of the handful of people out there who have tried to collect examples of each generation of M3.

Quote Originally Posted by DonPatrizio View Post
      I've been seeing more of these around lately as the prices on them have dropping. I think they have the best exhaust note produced in the last ten years, especially when coupled with an exhaust the exemplifies the blurble of the V8 rather than the top-end raspy-ness.
      It's a bit of a unique sound among V8s. The low displacement, high redline, high cylinder count (8+cyl) approach is somewhat ferrari-esque, but it doesn't sound like much else out there. I'm not sure if that's good or bad. I will say that I might enjoy the engine note (once I moved to the Dinan intake) more than the exhaust note (I have an OEM-modded muffler).
      Last edited by 6cylVWguy; 07-30-2018 at 04:23 PM.

7. 07-31-2018 10:53 AM #81
      It's a bit of a unique sound among V8s. The low displacement, high redline, high cylinder count (8+cyl) approach is somewhat ferrari-esque, but it doesn't sound like much else out there. I'm not sure if that's good or bad. I will say that I might enjoy the engine note (once I moved to the Dinan intake) more than the exhaust note (I have an OEM-modded muffler).
      Your M3 sounds great- I've heard them with aftermarket mufflers and at high revs, they are more Ferrari than Mustang.

Probably the best sounding M3 so far- my clownshoe has the S54 and I think it sounds terrible.

I didn't realize that you're probably local to me- are you west or north of Philly? I'm in Abington.

Vehicles
      2017 STI
      07-31-2018 11:14 AM #82
      If you ever go to the cars and coffee events out in the philly burbs, let me know. Happy meet up. I agree though, I definitely wouldn't want to own anything all that nice if I was living in the middle of a city.
      Which one do you go to? I went to the West Chester one years ago, but heard they got kicked out of the Starbucks parking lot they were using.
      I like bikes.

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      07-31-2018 11:18 AM #83
      Quote Originally Posted by t44tq View Post
      I didn't realize that you're probably local to me- are you west or north of Philly? I'm in Abington.
      Wow, we're neighbors. I live in Glenside---the same neighborhood as the owner of a well-known local tuner shop. I have to say, that I liked the sound of my old mustang with GT500 mufflers much more than this car with a modded muffler. BMW just can't seem to get the sound of their performance cars quite right. For everyone else, the higher the performance, the better the car sounds. Seems odd. But yeah, I think the e9x cars might sound the best, though I do like the sound of e36 M cars with the right exhaust.

Edit: I know I've seen a clownshoe in my neighborhood before and I want to say that it's green. Maybe you?

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      07-31-2018 11:21 AM #84
      Which one do you go to? I went to the West Chester one years ago, but heard they got kicked out of the Starbucks parking lot they were using.
      Yeah, the WC location seems to have split. I heard people still show up at the original location, but some have started meeting at the Wegman's in Malvern, right off 202. I typically go to the gathering in Doylestown, as it's a little closer.

Vehicles
      2017 STI
      08-01-2018 07:22 PM #85
      Yeah, the WC location seems to have split. I heard people still show up at the original location, but some have started meeting at the Wegman's in Malvern, right off 202. I typically go to the gathering in Doylestown, as it's a little closer.
      I might have to swing by there some weekend. Lots of good driving roads out that way too!
      I like bikes.

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      08-01-2018 07:38 PM #86
      I might have to swing by there some weekend. Lots of good driving roads out that way too!
      Doylestown? It's this weekend in fact (the meetings are the 1st and 3rd wkd of each month).

Vehicles
      M3
      08-01-2018 09:08 PM #87
      Glad you are enjoying it. I am in a 11 ZCP E90 now, and these things are amazing machines and approaching cult status.

As cars get more modern, faster and less connected I think people will warm up to this generation of M3 even more. I love how this generation M3 shrinks around you the faster you go, its awesome. The car is really easy to drive fast despite its 3600 lb curb weight. It feels small, and has a low belt line. The power/chassis combo is also 100% spot on perfect. The whole car just works.

Yeah it has high running costs but let's not forget it has a V8, ITBs, ionic knock control, and revs to 8500 RPM, etc. It's a complex machine that requires a certain buyer, but if you know what to look out for they are fairly dependable.

I've been telling my car buddies this is the best car I've driven, ever. F80 was faster, way prettier and more modern but this E90x M has magic sauce. I don't think I want to drive a turbo charged car again as my fun car and I don't care at all its not the fastest car on the road. It's fast enough for the street.

Last edited by B20VTEC; 08-01-2018 at 09:10 PM.

Vehicles
      98 M3, 2000 323it
      08-02-2018 12:30 AM #88
      Great car and good to see you still enjoying it. If I were to have one car to do it all, I think an e90 m3 would be my perfect choice.
      Cloth seats represent.
      98 m3, Technoviolet/anthrazit cloth, 106k and officially worthless.
      2000 323i touring, Titanium silver/grey, 160k and officially boring

Vehicles
      14 focus st
      08-02-2018 07:44 AM #89
      Quote Originally Posted by rwp View Post
      I have a 2014 5.0 with your exact "mods". I love the look and sound but dislike driving the car for the same reasons you touched on. Everyone thinks I'm nuts for wanting to get rid of it. Congrats on the M3. It's beautiful.
      Not to thread jack, but you need to spend more time on the suspension. Once you drive a properly set up S197 chassis car, it's really not a comparison. I'm not saying go full out with remote mount reservoir coilovers and a roll cage, but spend some time on SVTP or whatever your favorite mustang forum is, and then go right over to Maximum Motorsports and start buying.

A good starting point for anyone with a S197 chassis car that wants turn-key upgrades is this http://www.maximummotorsports.com/20...Box-P1443.aspx plus rear LCA relocation brackets (super easy install).
      Last edited by fireside; 08-02-2018 at 07:46 AM.

08-02-2018 08:17 AM #90
      Congratulations!! Welcome to the club!!! I have the F80 and I miss the exhaust note of the big V8.

Keep us updated of the progress you make with her!
      Current Cars: 2018 BMW///M3 6 Speed Manual Yas Marina Blue over Sakhir Orange Leather | 2017 Volvo S90 Inscription T6 AWD | 2004 Infiniti FX35
      Previous Cars: 2016 GLI DSG SEL | 2015 Touareg Lux TDI | 2014 GLI 6 Speed Manual Autobahn | 2012 Odyssey EX-L | 2010 Outback 6 Speed Manual | 2008 VW GTI 6 Speed Manual | 2008 BMW 328xi 6 Speed Manual | 2007 VW Rabbit 5 Speed Manual | 2001 Honda Accord

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      08-02-2018 08:20 AM #91
      Quote Originally Posted by B20VTEC View Post
      Glad you are enjoying it. I am in a 11 ZCP E90 now, and these things are amazing machines and approaching cult status.

As cars get more modern, faster and less connected I think people will warm up to this generation of M3 even more. I love how this generation M3 shrinks around you the faster you go, its awesome. The car is really easy to drive fast despite its 3600 lb curb weight. It feels small, and has a low belt line. The power/chassis combo is also 100% spot on perfect. The whole car just works.

Yeah it has high running costs but let's not forget it has a V8, ITBs, ionic knock control, and revs to 8500 RPM, etc. It's a complex machine that requires a certain buyer, but if you know what to look out for they are fairly dependable.

I've been telling my car buddies this is the best car I've driven, ever. F80 was faster, way prettier and more modern but this E90x M has magic sauce. I don't think I want to drive a turbo charged car again as my fun car and I don't care at all its not the fastest car on the road. It's fast enough for the street.
      I agree with all of this. (just to confirm--) It's just a nicely balanced experience--not a perfect car, but it works really well in pretty much any situation that doesn't involve dirt. And although I don't find the steering on the car all that special, I find that the chassis and engine have the type of playful character that you would expect in an M car. I like the F80--though only drove one on track at the M track day last year (and again later this month). And in that environment, the car is very competent, probably more track ready (at least as the cars were equipped) than the e9x cars. Still, there's something unique about the older cars that the current ones can't quite match. If/when I get rid of my car, I'm about 90% sure it won't be for a newer M3/4.

Quote Originally Posted by westopher View Post
      Great car and good to see you still enjoying it. If I were to have one car to do it all, I think an e90 m3 would be my perfect choice.
      Cloth seats represent.
      I think BMW has done something quite rare with the M3 range---every generation IMO has some serious appeal. If I was an M3 guy, I really think my goal would be to own one of each generation.

08-02-2018 10:25 AM #92
      Not surprised you still enjoy the car....they are fantastic! I originally bought a used 08 to see if I liked it. Well....8 months later I purchased the 2010.

Just rolled 24k miles. The only modification I have is exhaust and it is wicked. I don't think I'll ever get rid of this car (plus I have a problem getting rid of anything....LOL).

Cars - E92 M3, 944 Turbo
      Jeeps - TJ, XJ
      Other - 14 Durango, 16 Tahoe

Vehicles
      '14 WRB Frontier, '08 Outback, '98 M3, '91 GTI
      08-02-2018 11:33 AM #93
      My best friend has owned an '11 M3 since new, picked it up during Summer 2010 (don't remember which month). As such, I've had my way with it over the years when he tosses me the keys - usually once every 1-2 years.

To me, the car still feels very special when you hit the start button. The cold start symphony is something to behold. The noise is fantastic and the 8500 rpm redline never gets old. The motor has a sense of occasion about it just about anywhere in the power band.

However, there are a couple knocks against it for me personally. Fuel economy is atrocious. My friend made a meme (see below) that accurately describes it. I've never particularly loved the way the E9x drives, and while the M3 is an improvement over say, a 325xi, it doesn't feel like an exciting sports car, dynamically. That's not a bad thing if you're daily driving the car. It's a competent-driving car with an exciting engine. But as a dedicated toy, there are other cars that excite me more.

It's also a bit fragile - yes, there's always the threat of rod bearings, which my friend keeps in check with Blackstone analysis at every change, but the rear pinion seal is also leaking, which I find unacceptable @ 35K miles. The privateer E9x M3 race cars I've seen over the years also don't seem to have that bulletproof mechanical reputation that its E36/E46 forebears enjoy.

So if you had to have one car - a daily driver (if you don't drive that far) that you can also tear up the backroads with on occasion - I think the M3 is pretty darn good. I don't expect them to hold up as well as E36/E46 M-cars, but I think they are deserving in their own right. I don't have the wallet to daily one, but if I had one I'd probably keep it fairly stock and enjoy it. And I suspect that, just as the E36 M3 wasn't fully appreciated in its heyday, time will rather kind to the E9x and it will be remembered as one of the greats.

And that meme...gets me every time

20. 08-02-2018 11:50 AM #94
      Wow, we're neighbors. I live in Glenside---the same neighborhood as the owner of a well-known local tuner shop. I have to say, that I liked the sound of my old mustang with GT500 mufflers much more than this car with a modded muffler. BMW just can't seem to get the sound of their performance cars quite right. For everyone else, the higher the performance, the better the car sounds. Seems odd. But yeah, I think the e9x cars might sound the best, though I do like the sound of e36 M cars with the right exhaust.

Edit: I know I've seen a clownshoe in my neighborhood before and I want to say that it's green. Maybe you?
      I'm in Rydal, so yes, very close.

My clownshoe is black. I've never seen a green one around here. There is a red one that I see every now and then.

I agree with you- Mustangs sound great, it's the firing order. I don't know if Audi or BMW use a similar firing order. Chevy LS and Dodge Hemis use the same firing order, which is why they sound very similar. Old Chevy uses a different firing order.

E36s do sound good with the right exhaust. My S54 is raspy, sounds like crap. Reminds me more of a sportbike kind of sound in a bad way.

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      08-08-2019 01:53 PM #95
      Ok, it's been another year with the 2011 M3. What to report? The car is now more of a garage queen than it was. As you note in my mtown vs muscleville photo below, the big guy is more likely to be used for regular driving duties. The car still hasn't become the disaster many people think these cars are. Here's what's gone wrong in the last year:

1) I replaced the driver's door armrest because the rubberized plastic had a long scratch. I did this myself.

2) Last year both driver's side speed sensors went bad. This year the front passenger went bad. I bought the passenger rear preemptively. I did this myself

3) The code reader also identified a fault with the thermostat. I cleared that and will watch it moving forward. So far no lights or weirdness with the car.

4) Rear diff leak at the pinion seal. The shop I took it to felt that because I used nonBMW fluid, that could be the cause. I had them drain the stuff I used and replace it with factory fluid. Seemed to slow the leak and several months later, the shop noted a small amount of seepage. They will see if/how this looks next year. Nothing spent at this point.

Fun stuff:
      Not much really. The Jeep has taken some attention away from the BMW, work is taking much time, and we're looking for a new house which has been a big time sink. Only thing I ended up doing on the fun front is adding a Mode Carbon front lip.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      '14 WRB Frontier, '08 Outback, '98 M3, '91 GTI
      08-08-2019 02:32 PM #96
      It’s funny, my best friend’s 2011 has also had #2 and #4 go wrong.

He’d never had anything but the factory gear oil in the diff, the seal just went bad for some reason.

And IIRC it was the front left wheel speed sensor that went bad, and that was just last week.

His car is also mostly a garage queen, I think it’s done 40,000 miles since he got it new in Fall 2010.

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      08-08-2019 03:11 PM #97
      Quote Originally Posted by Stevo12 View Post
      It’s funny, my best friend’s 2011 has also had #2 and #4 go wrong.

He’d never had anything but the factory gear oil in the diff, the seal just went bad for some reason.

And IIRC it was the front left wheel speed sensor that went bad, and that was just last week.

His car is also mostly a garage queen, I think it’s done 40,000 miles since he got it new in Fall 2010.
      Huh, I guess the speed sensors and pinion seal stuff gets drowned out in the crowd of people screaming about rod bearings and TAs! I have about 47k miles on the car and am like the 6th owner.

Vehicles
      BMW X3
      08-13-2019 10:40 PM #98
      Huh, I guess the speed sensors and pinion seal stuff gets drowned out in the crowd of people screaming about rod bearings and TAs! I have about 47k miles on the car and am like the 6th owner.
      Drive the damn thing! Still have not pulled the trigger on my garage queen. Too much time on TFL.

08-14-2019 07:40 AM #99

2) Last year both driver's side speed sensors went bad. This year the front passenger went bad. I bought the passenger rear preemptively. I did this myself
      How difficult is it doing this? One of mine just went.....so I'm considering having one of my employees (a mechanic) do the work for me. My local indy shop makes me blush with their hourly rate.....

Edit -- my rear diff seal is also failing. Nothing on the garage floor....just a small stain on the diff. My car has 26K on it.....
      Cars - E92 M3, 944 Turbo
      Jeeps - TJ, XJ
      Other - 14 Durango, 16 Tahoe

26. Member
      Vehicles
      2009 BMW 328it
      08-14-2019 08:03 AM #100
      The speed sensors are supposedly a general E90 thing, but I've put a lot of miles (over 200k across 4 different cars) on E9x chassis cars and not had one fail yet.

Of course now that I've said that I'm doomed, though I think it might be related more to the location of the vehicle, ie, whether its seen salt, etc.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast