VWVortex.com - Good-bye mustang, hello...(or, how like several others, I might have made a terrible financial mistake)
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Good-bye mustang, hello...(or, how like several others, I might have made a terrible financial mistake)

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '18 Jeep SRT; '11 M3 ZCP; '94 SLC
      07-27-2015 12:12 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by Maximum_Download View Post
      I can't help but notice a lot of 5.0 Mustang guys who took the jump a couple years ago are now trading their cars in.

Congrats! Great upgrade.
      I think a lot of us were impressed with the reviews and the on a test drive, the weaknesses of the car aren't overly apparent. I was totally overwhelmed by the power and sound when I test drove the 5.0. Coming from a 215hp crossfire, the 5.0 was absolutely amazing. And heck, the 5.0 is still a fantastic engine. If I had a Boss I don't know if I would have made the same choice. But yeah, the basic s197 mustang is still a traditional mustang. In the end, I just didn't like the cheap aspect of the cheap speed moniker that the mustang and other pony cars wears. But I'm very happy that I owned the mustang just to experience it. I could be back in a domestic for the next car, in the form of a c6/c7 vette though. I have never owned nor have i spent much time in a SBC. Since I did the pony car thing, I'd like to try out America's sports car.

Quote Originally Posted by jnm2.0t View Post
      M3 without nav, I didn't know those existed, cool!
      Yes! I was of a similar mind set and I think most people do end up getting the car with nav--though it's not totally unheard of for the e9x M3s to not have nav. I was at a small show yesterday and saw another e92 M3 without nav, but it did have leather. I'm guessing that option doesn't exist any longer in the F8x cars. Which is amazing that the current cars are lighter than the previous gen vehicles and come with more features. I guess the only thing I can hold onto is that if the car isn't lighter without the features, it's at least less complicated with less of a risk of breaking.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      Germany, 1986
      07-27-2015 12:21 PM #27
      While I would have a very hard time passing up a C63 in lieu of an E92 M3....I think you did just fine. The no-nav and cloth is great.

Vehicles
      '07 335i, '12 Caravan, JK... JK! it's a JKU
      07-27-2015 01:17 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by EnIgMa '06 View Post
      Spend $65 on a ZHP shift knob and you'll be much happier with the transmission.
      100x this. I should just put something to this effect in my sig. It's amazing how much deflection that tall-necked shifter allows even under normal shifting forces.
      Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
      please find a quote.

Vehicles
      07-27-2015 01:22 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by 6cylVWguy View Post
      The pic also shows the other option that the original owned opted for: the cloth CF trim. BMW seemed quite proud of themselves for this feature, based on its prominence in the 2008 M3 brochure. Definitely better than any type of wood that one could have opted for.
      I enjoyed that stuff on my Z4M. while it makes the interior even more of a sea of black, the feel and texture of it is actually really nice and suits the M cars pretty well.
      please find a quote.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 M3, 2017 X1
      07-27-2015 08:47 PM #30
      A little jelly.

Great color, love the E92 bodystyle, always admired the exhaust note on these cars, and the competition package is sweet.

Vehicles
      '17 Tundra, '16 3 GT
      07-28-2015 10:14 AM #31
      Thanks for sharing OP! Your Mustang experience mirrors mine, I wish I had read this thread as a cautionary tale in ~2012...who knows if I would've listened though.

Like you, I don't exactly regret it (first V8, first Muscle car), but I think like a lot of folks, we focus on what we read and don't let reality change our opinion enough. That might just be me though.

I've gone through considering just about every performance car at some point. I was right on your train of thought though - C63, 911, M3. No doubt they are all great cars, and ideally should be owned at some point. I'm just thinking a GT-R will suit me best. But, I'd like to avoid my previous scenario with the Mustang where I realize I made a mistake 1 - 1.5 years into ownership.

So...I'm trying to set up extended test drives of a Cayman S, C7Z06, and GT-R so I can hopefully be more honest with myself when the time comes.

Thanks again for sharing your experience!
      Current: '17 Tundra, '16 3 GT
      Past/Sold: '13 Evo, '08 Si, '12 Mustang GT, '03 Evo VIII, '01 Golf 1.8T

Vehicles
      '17 Tundra, '16 3 GT
      07-28-2015 10:23 AM #32
      Oh, also wanted to add that a friend of mine has your generation M3. He did ED and loved it.

Your thread and the one going on the current gen M3 are mighty tempting. I think you chose an excellent car!

Vehicles
      '17 Golf R DSG, '12 Crosstour V6 AWD nav, '09 Civic Si 4d nav
      07-28-2015 10:30 AM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by 16volt View Post
      While I would have a very hard time passing up a C63 in lieu of an E92 M3
      I hope you are joking!

The E9_M is really a one-of-a-kind car. There is nothing else like it.
      Past: '06 Accord V6, '95 Taurus SHO, '01 ITR, '98 Civic HX CVT

Quote Originally Posted by jamerican1
      Dude, you know you're like the opposite of a purist, right?

Vehicles
      2012 A6 3.0T, 2013 BMW 128i
      07-28-2015 10:44 AM #34
      Congrats! Every time I see a white coupe I drool a little bit.

11. 07-28-2015 10:57 AM #35
      Congrats on the pick up!

I have a soft spot for a competition package 11+ E90 M3, Alpine White with Fox Red Leather, DCT and Tech. That's how I would have ordered mine.

Also love me some 12+ C63 AMG Sedan, love the new updated styling and interior.

If I had to choose between those two only, it would be a very hard decision. Get these V8 monsters while you can, unfortunately BMW decided to ditch the sweet V8, now the new F80 M3 sounds like an SRT-4. Yuck!

It's liking finally getting in bed with a HOT chick but she opens her mouth and sounds like a man.

Vehicles
      '13 GTI '97 Passat VR6
      07-28-2015 11:07 AM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by DanISFast View Post
      Get these V8 monsters while you can, unfortunately BMW decided to ditch the sweet V8, now the new F80 M3 sounds like an SRT-4. Yuck!
      SRT-4's have twin-turbo inline 6's?
      While I admit they don't have the drool inducing sound of the 4.0 V8, they sure as hell don't sound like SRT-4's.

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      07-28-2015 05:17 PM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by lowlight View Post
      Thanks for sharing OP! Your Mustang experience mirrors mine, I wish I had read this thread as a cautionary tale in ~2012...who knows if I would've listened though.

Like you, I don't exactly regret it (first V8, first Muscle car), but I think like a lot of folks, we focus on what we read and don't let reality change our opinion enough. That might just be me though.

I've gone through considering just about every performance car at some point. I was right on your train of thought though - C63, 911, M3. No doubt they are all great cars, and ideally should be owned at some point. I'm just thinking a GT-R will suit me best. But, I'd like to avoid my previous scenario with the Mustang where I realize I made a mistake 1 - 1.5 years into ownership.

So...I'm trying to set up extended test drives of a Cayman S, C7Z06, and GT-R so I can hopefully be more honest with myself when the time comes.

Thanks again for sharing your experience!
      Yeah, the extended test drive thing is key. But then again, I'm not sure even if I had the car for a weekend that I would have passed on the Mustang. For where I was and what I wanted to spend, there wasn't anything else that really worked for me. It was a great performance deal, but as luck would have it, I am in a situation where I can get a better car for more money. I do remember reading your thread on the Evo, which is one hell of a car in its own right. I like the idea of owning a 4-cyl turbo AWD car like the Evo/STI, but I'm not sure if I will have the opportunity. The GTR certainly is compelling and don't think I haven't checked autotrader for how much older examples are selling for--they're just too much for me at the moment. At this point in time, I'd like to spend some time owning what I consider are legendary cars. GTI--Mustang--M3, IMO fit that moniker in their respective price ranges.

Are you looking to get rid of the Evo soon? You seemed quite happy with it based on the last post I read where you spoke about it.

Quote Originally Posted by lowlight View Post
      Oh, also wanted to add that a friend of mine has your generation M3. He did ED and loved it.

Your thread and the one going on the current gen M3 are mighty tempting. I think you chose an excellent car!
      ED would be a dream in any european performance car. I spoke to a group, RS something or other, that organizes adventures that correspond to your ED purchase. They help facilitate everything from the purchase, the in-country experience, and then the shipment of the car to the US. They organize track days, spectating at racing events, driving on all manner of windy back road, and a few others odds and ends. What a way to spend a week! It makes me almost think that I should have gone with an M235 just for the ED experience. Hopefully at some time I will be able to do this in a proper M car or Porsche sports car.

Quote Originally Posted by Shmi View Post
      Congrats! Every time I see a white coupe I drool a little bit.
      Thank you! The M3 (M4) is a really a nice looking car in pretty much every generation. It's almost as if BMW designs the M3/M4 and then softens it up for regular 3 series production.

Quote Originally Posted by DanISFast View Post
      Congrats on the pick up!

I have a soft spot for a competition package 11+ E90 M3, Alpine White with Fox Red Leather, DCT and Tech. That's how I would have ordered mine.

Also love me some 12+ C63 AMG Sedan, love the new updated styling and interior.

If I had to choose between those two only, it would be a very hard decision. Get these V8 monsters while you can, unfortunately BMW decided to ditch the sweet V8, now the new F80 M3 sounds like an SRT-4. Yuck!
      You know, the C63 vs M3 decision isn't all that hard. They have a VERY different personality. The C63 is far more punishing and extreme if you can believe it. And yet, it has all sorts of luxury features that hide its actual personality. They are both absolutely superb vehicles, and if anything, the C63 is very underrated. It's really just about what you feel comfortable with and frankly, the manual in the M3 is a huge plus. It's cool if you would prefer the DCT, but I just like rowing the gears myself.

As far as sound, I still don't understand why folks like the sound of the S65. In stock form, it's really nothing special--other than the induction noise, but the exhaust is horribly muted. Modded, they can sound aggressive, but it's still hard to make them sound as good, IMO, as the 4.2L V8 from Audi or even the 5.0 coyote in the Mustang. Despite all of the options, it was pretty easy for me to know the best exhaust for me with the mustang. With the M, it's a lot more difficult. Either all M3 owners have much crappier mic setups than all mustang owners when they record their exhaust setup or there is something about the exhaust on the M3 that makes it hard to balance tone, loudness, and drone as easy as other cars. At some point, I will doing something with the exhaust, but it's likely going to take some time to figure it out.
      Last edited by 6cylVWguy; 07-28-2015 at 05:21 PM.

Vehicles
      2018 Civic Type-R
      07-28-2015 05:30 PM #38
      Looks like a pretty ****ing awesome car to me
      Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
      I'm filming this thread. Just thought I'd let everyone know. I've had some bad experiences with threads in the past.
      Quote Originally Posted by Fritz27 View Post
      I like when dumb people quote mechanical grip as a metric of whether or not a car is fun to drive. It's like saying McDonald's is the best restaurant because you get a lot of calories for your money.

Vehicles
      9.5 Brannock
      07-28-2015 05:34 PM #39
      Thanks for the kind words lady and gents. CHdavis, I believe you aren't the only vortexer to have looked at and passed on this particular m3. The shifter is pretty reasonable for me, but that's not to say that it can't be improved upon. I will have to look into the upgraded shift knob at some point.
      You'd be surprised how big of a difference the weighted shift knob makes. I consider it a must-do for the E9X. And who doesn't like a hefty knob?

Congrats.

Vehicles
      '17 Tundra, '16 3 GT
      07-28-2015 06:01 PM #40
      At this point in time, I'd like to spend some time owning what I consider are legendary cars. GTI--Mustang--M3, IMO fit that moniker in their respective price ranges.

Are you looking to get rid of the Evo soon? You seemed quite happy with it based on the last post I read where you spoke about it.

ED would be a dream in any european performance car. I spoke to a group, RS something or other, that organizes adventures that correspond to your ED purchase. They help facilitate everything from the purchase, the in-country experience, and then the shipment of the car to the US. They organize track days, spectating at racing events, driving on all manner of windy back road, and a few others odds and ends. What a way to spend a week! It makes me almost think that I should have gone with an M235 just for the ED experience. Hopefully at some time I will be able to do this in a proper M car or Porsche sports car.
      You make a good point about owning "legendary" cars at each price point, that's a good way to go about it.

I'm not planning on getting rid of the Evo. I plan on keeping it at least as a DD/winter car when I do get my next car in a few years. I'm enjoying it with bolt-ons + tune. It is a lot of fun, especially in winter. Upgrading is tricky from the Evo, IMO. You have to make quite a jump to enjoy more performance, different performance is easier to find, but better is kinda tough. But again, it's very subjective.

I always post, and too often live, in the hypothetical future when it comes to cars. I'm too often thinking about the next car and not enjoying my current car enough, I'm trying to work on it.

My wife likes the 328i Xdrive GT if you can believe it. BMW says it's the SUV for folks who don't want an SUV. Big back seat, versatile hatch, power/fuel economy of the 2.0T, it's a nice package if you can handle the looks. But again, we're all over the map on vehicles, timeline, etc. I just never shut my yapper when I post!

Vehicles
      14 focus st
      07-28-2015 06:19 PM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by rwp View Post
      I have a 2014 5.0 with your exact "mods". I love the look and sound but dislike driving the car for the same reasons you touched on. Everyone thinks I'm nuts for wanting to get rid of it. Congrats on the M3. It's beautiful.
      you need more rubber on the road

275 square or more.

good damper/spring combo, aftermarket lca's and phb (or watts link), do a UCA too for good measure.

should feel a lot more confident once you get rid of all of the soft bushings in the rear.

Vehicles
      Germany, 1986
      07-29-2015 03:51 PM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by Ross1013 View Post
      I hope you are joking!

The E9_M is really a one-of-a-kind car. There is nothing else like it.

Ross

19. 07-29-2015 04:09 PM #43
      I was very shocked with how low the gearing is--at highway speeds you're turning ~3 rpms, whereas I'd be at 2k rpms in the mustang.
      Is this an issue only with the manual trans or also with the DCT? That would drive me absolutely insane.

Vehicles
      '77 Bronco '85 Toyota 4x4 '87 930 '91 M5 '08 Xterra
      07-29-2015 04:23 PM #44
      I love that generation M3 and the prices are starting to become compelling but I keep getting hung up on this...

59k mile engine.

Vehicles
      2012 A6 3.0T, 2013 BMW 128i
      07-29-2015 04:31 PM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by patrickvr6 View Post
      I love that generation M3 and the prices are starting to become compelling but I keep getting hung up on this...

59k mile engine.

rodbearings.jpg

Are con rod bearings a real common issue on this car? I thought E9x M3s were pretty damn reliable

Vehicles
      07-29-2015 04:47 PM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by patrickvr6 View Post

59k mile engine.

Yup. Same problem with the E60s. It's not a terribly expensive fix, but it's a time bomb for sure. I'd budget for a bearing replacement, and I know some dealer mechanics have been doing them under CPO for the M5/6s. Not sure they've had as much luck with the V8 though.
      please find a quote.

Vehicles
      07-29-2015 04:51 PM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by Shmi View Post
      Are con rod bearings a real common issue on this car? I thought E9x M3s were pretty damn reliable
      Not terribly, but people are seeing excessive wear a lot sooner than you'd like to see. the S85 seems to have more reported cases, and more spun bearings, etc. Not huge failure rates, but pretty catastrophic if one goes.
      please find a quote.

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      07-26-2016 04:19 PM #48
      Time to update this thread as I have owned the car for over a year at this point.

As reminder, here is the car in question:

I've put about 7500 miles on the car over the last 14 months. Over that time, I've done the following:
      Visuals: Black kidneys, black side gills, clear side reflectors
      Winter: I purchased a set of used base-model OEM e9x wheels with snow tires
      Noise: Stock exhaust with ACM exhaust mod and dinan air filter
      Maintenance: Oil/filter change, rear diff fluid change, transmission fluid flush

I don't really plan on much else for this car, at least not anything dealing with performance. It's a great car as is and I enjoy driving it very lightly modded. From a reliability perspective, it's been a great experience. I had a CEL the first week I bought the car, but haven't seen anything since. My hope for year 2 is to do some driving events with the car. I would still definitely recommend an e9x to anyone considering one.

More pics:

Last edited by 6cylVWguy; 07-26-2016 at 04:22 PM.

25. 07-26-2016 09:02 PM #49
      Congrats.

It's hard to fathom the decision at the round table of BMW to decide that a top of line product, doesn't have a premium feature such as nav.

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      07-26-2016 10:12 PM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by Remedy View Post
      Congrats.

It's hard to fathom the decision at the round table of BMW to decide that a top of line product, doesn't have a premium feature such as nav.
      Nav doesn't make the product premium though. The subtleties of chassis tuning, M-only engine, and quality materials make it premium. OTOH, I can buy an econobox with nav.

Everything works as you think it should in this car. There's few if any, "the car is great except..." instances. It's no chevy SS, but it's still pretty good.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast