VWVortex.com - P0300,P0301,P0302,P0303 White Smoke from the engine and exhaust
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: P0300,P0301,P0302,P0303 White Smoke from the engine and exhaust

1. 07-29-2015 09:36 AM #1
      2003 VW Passat 2.8 (ATQ) FWD

I have got P0300,P0301,P0302,P0303 and white smoke is coming from the both sides of engine and from the exhaust (I guess that coolant is dripping from the exhaust not condensate).
      VCDS shows that only Bank 1 has those multiple cylinder misfires. On the Bank 2 all cylinders' misfire count are 0.
      It is shaking while idling.

What I have done:

Replaced all spark plugs and wires, tried a new ignition coil pack.
      Cleaned MAF, replaced all vacuum lines.

I do not see any changes in oil color and it looks like there is no oil in the coolant (at least I do not see it in the expansion tank).

I have tested compressions on all cylinders:

Cold start:
      Dry
      Cyl 1: 185 psi
      Cyl 2: 165 psi
      Cyl 3: 180 psi
      Cyl 4: 180 psi
      Cyl 5: 170 psi
      Cyl 6: 195 psi

Wet (added 5 ml of oil):

Cyl 1: 255 psi
      Cyl 2: 240psi
      Cyl 3: 210 psi
      Cyl 4: 215 psi
      Cyl 5: 215 psi
      Cyl 6: 220 psi

Hot (190 F):

Dry
      Cyl 1: 180 psi
      Cyl 2: 180 psi
      Cyl 3: 180 psi
      Cyl 4: 160 psi
      Cyl 5: 200 psi
      Cyl 6: 190 psi

The car engine loses power on accelerating and it is practically not drivable.

I was thinking about the blown head gasket,the warped head, intake manifold gasket leak, vacuum leak. I am experiencing some coolant loss not huge but visible.

If there is something wrong with the Bank 1 only so why white smoke is coming from the both sides (Bank 1 from the rear side, Bank 2 from the front side).

How can I pinpoint the exact reason of this problem (or problems)?

Thanks.
      Last edited by lk7777; 07-29-2015 at 01:43 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 07-29-2015 05:31 PM #2
      Can it be a faulty Camshaft Position Sensor G40?

Vehicles
      2004 GLS 1.8T
      07-29-2015 06:15 PM #3
      Almost certainly not. If the camshaft position sensor is bad, it will generally result in the sudden complete shutdown of the engine, and/or failure to start. (Unless the engine is cranked long enough to override it, about 30 seconds.) Nor will a bad sensor cause white smoke.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. 07-30-2015 02:28 PM #4
      Update.

I have tested the cooling system for exhaust gases. The test fluid stayed blue at different RPMs and temperatures. The oil's color is absolutely normal. May I state now that there is no any internal damage in the engine (head crack, blown head gasket, warped head), considering this cooling system test and compression test? I have noticed that the white smoke doesn't come up after running engine for more than 15 min.

I really do not understand how the blown gasket can cause multi-misfiring on all cylinders in one bank. Probably warped head could but again it would cause an oil leak / burning. But again my test results do not show any problems with the head but I might be wrong.
      Last edited by lk7777; 07-30-2015 at 03:28 PM.

7. 07-30-2015 03:30 PM #5
      It might be a coolant leak through the intake manifold to the bank 1 cylinders. I have to run another test: coolant system pressure test.

8. 07-30-2015 03:43 PM #6
      Does anybody know how coolant can get into the bank 1 cylinders via the air intake manifold?

9. 07-30-2015 04:42 PM #7
      Give us a little background on how this started. All of a sudden? Ran perfect before that?

I would focus on the misfires first. It sounds like you have good compression and probably spark. How about the fuel side of things?

10. 07-30-2015 05:47 PM #8
      It happened all of a sudden. Before it happened I kept getting an intermittent misfire on the Cylinder 1 and "too lean" bank 1. I have found and fixed a vacuum leak. Do you suspect a fuel system failure on the bank 1 - injectors? What about that white smoke? It looks like the whole bank 1 is affected but the Cylinder 1 produces much more misfires than 2 and 3. Thank you.
      Last edited by lk7777; 07-30-2015 at 06:03 PM.

11. Banned
      Vehicles
      BMW, Jeep, Chevy, Boat
      07-31-2015 03:38 AM #9
      If those compression numbers are true, you've got a worn out engine.

Cold compression test shows 30 psi difference between the highest and lowest cylinder.
      Wet test shows a 45 psi difference.
      And the Hot test shows a 40 psi difference.

That right there indicates a worn out engine. And whats worse, look at the random jumps in psi's going from dry to wet.

Cyl 1 cold dry 185
      Cyl 1 wet 255 a difference of 70 psi

Yet the difference between

Cyl 6 cold dry 195
      Cyl 6 wet 220 a difference of only 25 psi......crazy

I mean, the psi wet jumps are not even consistent with any given psi from any particular piston for the dry test.

I would do one of two things:

1) I would use the Blue Devil Head Gasket sealer and hope for a miracle......not really hoping for much or.....
      2) I would rebuild or replace the engine.

What I would NOT do is I would NOT waste time (countless hours on a v6 Passat) or space or money replacing the head gasket on an engine with these kind of compression numbers.

The numbers don't lie. You got problems with your cylinder head(s).

12. 07-31-2015 07:50 AM #10
      The spec is up to 44 psi difference between cylinders and a min pressure of 110. The compression readings will not be the source of his misfiring.

13. 07-31-2015 12:30 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by hirnbeiss View Post
      The spec is up to 44 psi difference between cylinders and a min pressure of 110. The compression readings will not be the source of his misfiring.
      I completely agree with you. The head and head gasket are OK, at least all tests prove that. There is very high possibility that the coolant is leaking into the air intake manifold, I have to check it by the coolant system pressure test. It might be a clogged catalytic converter on the bank 1, but I want to start with the coolant system. I do not know how the fuel system can cause injection problems just for one bank. Both banks are on the same rail, but who knows? Maybe the air intake manifold worn out gasket on the bank 1? The vacuum leak would cause misfire issues on both banks.
      Last edited by lk7777; 07-31-2015 at 04:44 PM.

14. 07-31-2015 12:39 PM #12
      It is very possible that the amount of added oil wasn't the same in all cylinders. I mentioned 5 ml but it was my estimate and I didn't use any precise lubricator.

15. 08-01-2015 10:06 AM #13
      I don't think coolant is your problem. I have seen white smoke (in fact repleaced a head gasket once, only to see white smoke continue) come from injector problems. But, since your problems came on suddenly and affects at least one bank. I doubt it is the injectors themselves. Just to rule out, I would check fuel pressure and probably just repplace the filter.

There is a B5 problem with the brake booster where it can fill with water over time (due to a clogged drain nearby) This could potentially make its way to the intake via the vacuum hose. Just plugging off that hose for a test could help rule that out though.

If the problem really is limited to one bank, I would next suspect a failed cat. You could start with that first, but the other items are cheap/no cost, so would be good to rule out ahead of time.

16. 08-01-2015 02:05 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by hirnbeiss View Post
      I don't think coolant is your problem. I have seen white smoke (in fact repleaced a head gasket once, only to see white smoke continue) come from injector problems. But, since your problems came on suddenly and affects at least one bank. I doubt it is the injectors themselves. Just to rule out, I would check fuel pressure and probably just repplace the filter.

There is a B5 problem with the brake booster where it can fill with water over time (due to a clogged drain nearby) This could potentially make its way to the intake via the vacuum hose. Just plugging off that hose for a test could help rule that out though.

If the problem really is limited to one bank, I would next suspect a failed cat. You could start with that first, but the other items are cheap/no cost, so would be good to rule out ahead of time.

I have tested the cooling system under the pressure. Indeed, it hasn't revealed any cooling system leak issues. I have been keeping it under 18 psi for about 3 hours on the stone cold engine. No drops of pressure whatsoever. You mentioned the brake booster, but I think that the water wouldn't cause only one bank misfire issues. After all my tests I still can't pinpoint one bank problems.
      A catalytic converter? Probably, if it is clogged. It would be easiest solution, at least cheaper than playing with the engine heads.

Could it be something with the stuck exhaust/intake valves in the closed position (they are not stuck in open - compression test ruled this possibility out). But again, all cylinders on the Bank 1 are affected.

I will test a vacuum leak in the intake air manifold on the bank 1 side with the starting fluid.
      Another $$ on the CAT. If it will not help - my car is on SALE!

17. 08-02-2015 10:44 AM #15
      Double check the misfire codes by clearing and letting them return. You had the white smoke out both sides, so I'm not ruling out that you have problems on that side too. If your problem is really only passenger side, I think it has to be the cat.

18. 08-04-2015 02:41 PM #16
      I have checked a vacuum pressure and it showed steady 12 inHg (considering my bad bank 1), PCV works.

So I am going to replace the CAT, though I have not done a pressure test in/out on the CAT. Anyway, this is the last repair/investment on this car.

19. 08-19-2015 07:42 AM #17
      Sorry for the late follow up, but I was off driving the coastal roads of southern Italy in a Fiat 500.

One other possibility of causing single bank misfires on the V6 is the cam chain adjuster. It has plastic shoes that push against the chain. When they wear or break, the cam timing goes off slightly and can cause misfires. No reason for this to cause smoke issues, but posting FYI.