VWVortex.com - A clear and straightforward engine wiring diagram? (8v digifant I)
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: A clear and straightforward engine wiring diagram? (8v digifant I)

1. Member inlovewithavdubengine's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '91 Cabriolet (5-spd Cali Digi-I 2L/8v) + '03 Jetta MkIV
      08-01-2015 11:43 PM #1
      Going through some of them VW electrical troubles right now; I've searched the forums and Google and cabby-info without much luck so I'm crowd-sourcing this one.

I'm basically looking for a "map" of all of the wires, grounds, sensors, and major electric components in the engine bay. I am by no means an electrician or an electrical engineer, so the less complex the diagram the better. I've been studying the Bentley diagram but it's a little too arcane for my skill level and isn't must help answering what I'm trying to figure out anyway.
      It needs to be relatively easy for a layman to decipher and specifically focused on the engine wiring harness: battery, grounds, fuse box, ignition switch, coil; along with every engine componet that is attached to a wire; alternator, radiator fan, mass airflow sensor, etc. I'm not concerned about the voltage of the tail-light relays or the stereo or anything like that.

Ideally I'd like an image or images with a top-down or isometric/exploded schematic. I've found a million diagrams of the vacuum system...

What I need is something exactly like that one, but for the wiring harness. Does it exist? Perhaps someone could make one if it doesn't?

This one here is close I guess, but it's still a little vague/incomplete for my taste, not quite helpful for what I'm trying to figure out:

This one is pretty close too; I like that it's straightforward and color-coded and shows most of the major components, but I'm pretty sure it's not my system.

I know, I know... most if not all of the wires and connectors are (thankfully) only designed to fit in one place. There's no way to plug your knock sensor into your hall sensor, for example...and most of the grounds are easy enough to find and access.

Basically for those curious, There is at least one specific wire that I'm not entirely sure about. It's a black wire with a (female) clip-on terminal and I have no idea what it does, and there is also a (male) clip on terminal attached to the bracket with some plastic or rubber looking piece... since this is the last remaining wire and the last remaining port I'm assuming that they go together. Is this yet another ground? I already have a different (brown with black stripe) wire with an eyelet terminal that attaches to a little bolt on the valve cover. How many ground wires are supposed to be coming out of that main wiring harness that routes from the fuse box? Because I count about 2; one black, one brown.

but yeah... for me and anyone else who gets easily confused by jumbles of wires and ports, it would be nice if an easier-to-read diagram of the Digifant wiring existed. If it doesn't exist yet, maybe I'll make one myself once I figure it out.
      Last edited by inlovewithavdubengine; 08-02-2015 at 02:08 AM.
      "The ultimate test is always your own serenity. If the machine produces tranquility, it’s right. If it disturbs you it’s wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." -Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenence

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      90, 92, 93 Cabriolet They own you.
      08-02-2015 09:21 AM #2
      The wiring in the latter Cabriolets are different than the Pre-85.

The wiring that you have displayed is not for a Cabby.

Now all the diagrams that you show are bs. you have a coil wire going to a harness, which harness, which wire.

Color diagrams are nice but which wire where.

You want simple Try 1957-1980 CAR British Leyland, 2 fuses, and the wiring protects the fuse all the time.

Early Rabbits have the same diagrams that later has but they were broken down by what the circuit did. Flashers, heater, ignition,,,, it was a nice touch that vw didn't
      continue with later.

The most Simplest Diagrams I have seen for the Cabriolets are in the Chiltons manual, They are so simple it is shocking because they leave out things.

Bentley has good diagrams, The Haynes has better copies of the same. Yep Haynes Diagrams are better copies of the originals.

Reading them isn't an ART it isn't Rocket Science, it is Methodical, and tedious at the most.

They are laid out well, and are pretty much what it is. They aren't as bad as a MainFrame B7200 or a READER-Sorter......

Grounds are at the bottom, and voltages are at the top.
      Current in the circuit flows from ground to the source. This is why good grounds are so important.
      Current or AMPS is the river current that flows. Voltage is like dipping your toes in the water, it is felt. The wetter your feet the move voltage there is.

Now VW did have some stray spare wires through-out the fuse box and a couple of other places. They were for add-ons.
      Some are shown on the diagrams but usually listed in the INDEX page, the ones that tell you which circuit trace you are looking for

The more you read on reading them the better off your going to be. Yes they are easier to read for Electronic Geeks, but I too still get stumped on certain things
      but I make notes, and such. Knowing what the signs mean Squares, Circles, Boxes with numbers, it is all in the index.

Read my primer, or read how to read the Bentley at Kamz site. Get to know the Bentley and you will be better served than the "See Spot Run," that you are looking for.

My two Cents.

4. Member inlovewithavdubengine's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '91 Cabriolet (5-spd Cali Digi-I 2L/8v) + '03 Jetta MkIV
      08-02-2015 07:13 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by briano1234 View Post
      ...Now VW did have some stray spare wires through-out the fuse box and a couple of other places. They were for add-ons.
      Some are shown on the diagrams but usually listed in the INDEX page, the ones that tell you which circuit trace you are looking for...
      So the geniuses at Volkswagen at one point may have decided to add an extra black wire that does... nothing?
      What kind of add-ons? Turbo?
      This isn't just a weird little extra wire in the fuse box; like every other wire on the harness, it was routed into the engine bay on purpose. It even seems to be a larger gauge than the brown ground wire itself. Sheesh, some of the hair-thin ground wires they used, what were they thinking?

It's weird, both engines had that little piece; on my old 2H engine it was a flat metal bracket that held a plastic plug with a male push-on terminal...and on the new 2E there is a similar terminal, attached to a little brace that holds the intake manifold to the valve cover. Doesn't seem like a ground, why would it be a weird little plastic/rubber thing? More like either a sensor or an electrical dead-end.
      No one has seen this before? I can upload a picture if this all sounds like gibberish...
      "The ultimate test is always your own serenity. If the machine produces tranquility, it’s right. If it disturbs you it’s wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." -Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenence

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      '95 Ranger, '81 Trek
      08-02-2015 08:28 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by inlovewithavdubengine View Post
      ......It's weird, both engines had that little piece; on my old 2H engine it was a flat metal bracket that held a plastic plug with a male push-on terminal...and on the new 2E there is a similar terminal, attached to a little brace that holds the intake manifold to the valve cover. Doesn't seem like a ground, why would it be a weird little plastic/rubber thing? More like either a sensor or an electrical dead-end....
      That reads as though you are describing the radiator fan after run switch.