Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2009 PreMium 2.0T Quattro

Vehicles
      09 A3
      08-04-2015 08:42 PM #1
      Hello everyone! I'm a new owner of a 2009 2.0t premium with quattro and cold weather package. I'm coming from an MK4 R32, so the A3 is very different. I miss the 'rawness' that the R32 had, along with a manual transmission, but the DSG isn't bad. Ok, enough talk. Here is the current and future mod list and a pic of the R that ended up in an accident and was too expensive to repair. The first thing since purchasing the car was to replace ALL the fluids, because I don't know what was done by the PO. Also needed some modifications, as it was much slower and handled a lot worse than the R32.

Mods since purchasing the car:

LED interior/license plate/reverse/front,rear blinkers (deAutokey)
      BFI Perforated Shift Knob
      A5 S-Line flat bottom steering wheel with RS Paddles
      Bilstein B14 Coilovers (previous-Koni Coilovers)
      Whiteline 24mm adjustable rear swaybar
      Whiteline adjustable end links front/rear
      Whiteline polyurethane bushing kit front control/trailing arm
      KMD tuning front lower stress bar
      CTS Turbo billet subframe bushing insert kit
      Wheels VMR 710 18x8.5 5x112 57.1 Bore et 45 Matte Black
      Brembo GT B-M4 BBK Front Caliper 345x30 / MKV R32 Rear Caliper/Carrier ECS V4 Rotor 310x22
      Titanium Wheel Lugs
      034 Motorsports track density strut mounts
      034 Motorsports street density motor/transmission mounts (removed dogbone inserts, too much NVH)
      034 Motorsports billet dogbone mount
      AWE CCB intake
      APR stage 1 ecu K04
      GIAC stage 2 DSG flash
      Euro switch
      Euro tail lights
      Xenonz UK mesh grille
      Static Plates front plate/ECS tow-hook plate mount
      Milltek 3" downpipe with 200 cell race cat and non-res cat back exhaust
      CTS catch can/valve cover breather (currently removed)

Full rebuild 92k miles
      IE tuscan i-beam rods
      IE forged mahle pistons
      Mahle motorsport race rod bearing set
      ARP head studs
      OEM timing chain and guides
      OEM waterpump
      OEM rear main seal
      K04 Turbo (APR Kit)
      Stock S3 Intercooler

future (someday) mods:
      Haldex Controller
      Wingback Seats

Here it is at the dealership, I flew from Florida up to Chicago. I wasn't happy with some slight issues on the car and the dealership saying they messed up on the loan price, but I didn't have a lot of time so we went back and forth a bit until it was all settled. Buyer beware of far away sales. This is the first time I'd done one without having a friend inspect the car. Lesson learned:

Here it is after I'd gotten it home. I was pleasantly surprised that I averaged over 27mpg (R32 I averaged 18ish):

Current state: 24 Feb 2019

First things first was to order some wheels. I've seen in a previous thread there isn't much love for the VMR's, but I wanted to stay under a grand for the wheels. I had a hard time deciding on silver or matte black.. but you can see what won out:

I couldn't use the stock lugs, because well.. they were ugly haha.. so I bought some from USP:

Once the wheels were installed I had to shop for some coilovers. There was a good sale on the Koni's from ECS, and my shop recommended a swaybar from Whiteline along with end links and strut mounts:

After everything was installed, including 20% tint all around. Right now I'm 25" from ground to fender:

And a pic of my old baby that was killed..

Any comments or questions are welcome and I look forward to chatting with everyone!
      Last edited by PreMier; 05-18-2019 at 12:53 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

08-04-2015 09:16 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by PreMier View Post
      Hello everyone!

And a pic of my old baby that was killed..

Any comments or questions are welcome and I look forward to chatting with everyone!
      MKIV R 32 best car ever! So sad for you mate

You have some nice mods so looking forward to seeing more
      I hate cupholders

Vehicles
      09 A3
      08-07-2015 09:19 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by Tcardio View Post
      MKIV R 32 best car ever! So sad for you mate

You have some nice mods so looking forward to seeing more
      Thanks man! Yea it was my favorite car I've owned. I did have a B5 S4 previously too, that was fun.

I took a few pics of the deAutokey LED's. They're very bright, but I had 2 that burned out in a little over a month. I emailed them, and they shipped me new ones right away, and I sent the old ones back at their request. One of them was the trunk LED which I seem to be having an issue with, even with the new ones. So the one I sent them previously probably wasn't even faulty

EDIT** I figured out the trunk wafer LED issue. The prongs that hold it felt snug, but they werent snug enough for a good connection. It took a bit of troubleshooting because the original incandescent bulb worked just fine. So I'm adding a pic of the trunk LED, its a huge improvement over stock.

License plate and interior LED's:

Edit**

I also seem to have a side marker that burned/shorted out as well (it pops on about 20% of the time). I tried to replace it, but I'm going to have to take the whole front bumper off I tried to remove the headlights, and after a bit of research there is a screw underneath them in the bumper.. so nix that idea. Next I tried to go in through the fender liner, but I couldn't see well enough to actually understand what I needed to do. So the plan is to wait until the new grille arrives and do them at the same time. I ordered some Philips LED 2825 bulbs from Amazon, they were kind of expensive.. but I don't want to replace them for a very long time.
      Last edited by PreMier; 08-07-2015 at 11:41 PM.

Vehicles
      2012 A3 Quattro - APR K04
      08-07-2015 11:01 PM #4
      wellcome to the forum

Hey your last ride was pretty sweet those R32's are becoming more rare by to moment.

nice find on the A3 thou, the quattro with DSG in the way to go
      2012 Audi A3, Ibis white, Titanium, quattro S3 conversion
      APR k04, APR downpipe, S3 Breaks, Milltek RS3 catback, Bilstien Shocks with WVR GOLF R springs, H&R sway bars

Vehicles
      2009 a3 2.0t quattro
      08-07-2015 11:31 PM #5
      For the corner marker you can get it through the wheel well. If you open the main cap for the headlight on the side there is a sort of stick like thing you can grab for the socket. I don't remember if it twists or if it just pulls out. The actual bulb socket is a ways in the housing so they put a long stick on the end of the socket so you can grab it.

Vehicles
      09 A3
      08-07-2015 11:47 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by RedLineRob View Post
      wellcome to the forum

Hey your last ride was pretty sweet those R32's are becoming more rare by to moment.

nice find on the A3 thou, the quattro with DSG in the way to go
      Thanks, and yea I wanted to keep that car for a long time and just garage queen it eventually. It was a good 6 years with it though.

Quote Originally Posted by louiekaps View Post
      For the corner marker you can get it through the wheel well. If you open the main cap for the headlight on the side there is a sort of stick like thing you can grab for the socket. I don't remember if it twists or if it just pulls out. The actual bulb socket is a ways in the housing so they put a long stick on the end of the socket so you can grab it.
      Excellent! I'll take another look at it, and see if I can figure it out. I did end up buying one of those small telescoping inspection mirror the other day to help see in there. I'll keep this updated.

Vehicles
      09 A3
      08-27-2015 12:29 PM #7
      Still haven't fixed the marker light, been working so much and also its just been so hot. I don't have a garage and working on the car in 90* and 90% humidity isn't appealing. I was driving the other day and had a coil pack go out.. scared the hell out of me because I thought the DSG was slipping (RPM would go up under load, but car wasn't moving). Called my mechanic with symptoms and he said probably a coil pack, so I limped it to an auto store, pulled codes, and it was cylinder 1 misfire. Had the wife drive me to the VW dealer to pick up a new one and threw it in. I'll be getting them all replaced when it goes in for other upgrades soon.

The culprit:

Also the previous owner damaged part of the hatch, chipping the paint, and allowing it to rust. So I found a shop here that would do a spot repair. The shop next to them does detailing and did a de-badge.

Vehicles
      2013 Scuba Blue Allroad
      08-27-2015 02:43 PM #8
      Welcome and great contribution to the bump thread my goodness!
      2007 A3 3.2vr Lava Grey S-line | Killed in Action
      2007 A3 3.2vr Brilliant Black S-line | Sold
      2013 Q5 2.0t Glacier White | Short Lived
      2013 Allroad 2.0t Scuba Blue

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2008 Audi A3
      08-27-2015 04:58 PM #9
      I can't believe the shop didn't take the tail lights out of the hatch. It would have taken 2 minutes and been a much cleaner job.

Vehicles
      2009 a3 2.0t quattro
      08-27-2015 05:42 PM #10
      Get a set of the red r8 coil packs. You can order them On hstuning with plugs for about $100. Put your ignition misfires behind you lol.

Vehicles
      09 A3
      10-04-2015 08:55 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by Ponto View Post
      Welcome and great contribution to the bump thread my goodness!
      thank you sir!

Quote Originally Posted by vms150 View Post
      I can't believe the shop didn't take the tail lights out of the hatch. It would have taken 2 minutes and been a much cleaner job.
      yea, they couldve.. but honestly its not that big of a deal to me. this guy did it for 1/4 the price of what other places were asking. he did an excellent job, and you cant see that it was painted.

Get a set of the red r8 coil packs. You can order them On hstuning with plugs for about $100. Put your ignition misfires behind you lol.
      i saw those after id already replaced them! if i ever need to do them again, I will go with the R8 ones.

ok, the mods for now are pretty much done i believe. i was focused on making the car euro spec due to a move in my near future.. and now that itll pass all their tests im going to hold off for a few. I did update the first post for future mods that id like to accomplish though

also I have some old parts for sale, and will take an OBO on any of them, just let me know. posted random prices per forum rules. https://forums.fourtitude.com/showthr...or-mats-grille

Euro tails/headlight switch (for rear fog) done:

exhaust (catback non-res milltek) done:

and the ecs grille is done:

I had a bit of a hard time deciding on whether or not to keep the emblem on the front.. i went without for now, but can add it at any time.

Last edited by PreMier; 10-04-2015 at 08:59 PM.

Vehicles
      2006 A3 2.0T 6sp FWD, Dakar Beige
      10-05-2015 04:18 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by PreMier View Post

I took a few pics of the deAutokey LED's. They're very bright, but I had 2 that burned out in a little over a month. I emailed them, and they shipped me new ones right away, and I sent the old ones back at their request. One of them was the trunk LED which I seem to be having an issue with, even with the new ones. So the one I sent them previously probably wasn't even faulty

EDIT** I figured out the trunk wafer LED issue. The prongs that hold it felt snug, but they werent snug enough for a good connection. It took a bit of troubleshooting because the original incandescent bulb worked just fine. So I'm adding a pic of the trunk LED, its a huge improvement over stock.

Edit**

Hi PreMier,

nice work and welcome !

I also have issues with deAutoKey trunk bulbs. One was working for a short time, another with engine running only, last one not at all so I gave up for now, may look somewhere else. I didn't thing the connection would be an issue since my original works fine all the time. Your trunk sure looks bright
      Bronco

2006 A3 2.0T 6sp FWD, Dakar Beige
      ST Coilovers | Eurodyne Stage 1
      Magnaflow Sport Catback + downpipe | EuroLED tail lights | RS grille

Vehicles
      09 A3
      10-05-2015 11:55 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by Bronco View Post
      Hi PreMier,

nice work and welcome !

I also have issues with deAutoKey trunk bulbs. One was working for a short time, another with engine running only, last one not at all so I gave up for now, may look somewhere else. I didn't thing the connection would be an issue since my original works fine all the time. Your trunk sure looks bright
      there are small metal prongs inside the housing that hold the bulb. i used a small screwdriver to get in there and "close" them/make them tighter. my original worked all the time as well, and thats fixed the problem. havent had an issue since. maybe try that?

thanks for the welcome!

Vehicles
      2009 a3 2.0t quattro
      10-06-2015 07:43 AM #14
      My de auto trunk led also cuts out allllll the time. It's weird because I have door puddle/marker lights which are the same bulb and housings 8 total. None of them ever cut out. I will try tightening the fit of the prongs. I do get a code in vcds for the trunk light.

Vehicles
      2013 Scuba Blue Allroad
      10-06-2015 10:45 AM #15
      My de auto trunk led also cuts out allllll the time. It's weird because I have door puddle/marker lights which are the same bulb and housings 8 total. None of them ever cut out. I will try tightening the fit of the prongs. I do get a code in vcds for the trunk light.
      I had trunk lights that did the same, its a low voltage issue - toss in a resistor. Soon as you open the trunk it sends power to the light, if it doesn't see enough resistance it cuts the power (like cold diag.)
      2007 A3 3.2vr Lava Grey S-line | Killed in Action
      2007 A3 3.2vr Brilliant Black S-line | Sold
      2013 Q5 2.0t Glacier White | Short Lived
      2013 Allroad 2.0t Scuba Blue

Vehicles
      2010 A3 Quattro S-Line/Monza Silver
      10-06-2015 11:40 PM #16
      Looking good
      I would put the rings back on the grille though. Personally I think it looks better, it breaks up all the black.
      Sent from somewhere at bottom of the river between Vega and Altair.

https://forums.fourtitude.com/showthread.php?7132668-AG-s-2010-A3-S-Line-Quattro

Vehicles
      09 A3
      10-08-2015 08:30 PM #17
      did that help at all?

Quote Originally Posted by AngryGiraffe View Post
      Looking good
      I would put the rings back on the grille though. Personally I think it looks better, it breaks up all the black.
      like i said i had a hard time deciding, but i think i feel the same way. only problem is i think ill have to remove the whole bumper

well, today i was washing the car, and cleaning the windows. while i was doing the windshield i moved the rear view mirror to the side and hear *snap*crackle*pop*... so i clean and move it back to where it originally was and i hear *snap*crackle*pop* again.. then the mirror just hangs there like a limp noodle. i view a youtube video on how to remove it, do so, then bring it inside to take it apart.

the plastic was so brittle it just snapped into pieces as i was trying to open it, combine that with the shattered internal pieces and i have to order a new mirror. i look at ecs, and see $376 yea, hell no. so i search and find one on ebay for $150. still freakin ridiculous.. should be here in 3-4 days.

here are the pieces that shattered off when i originally moved the mirror to the side

this is after i tried to open it(to see what broke inside), and the front piece just cracked right apart. all the shards are what was inside the mirror. i feel like the plastic is very poor quality to just fall apart like this

Vehicles
      2010 A3 Quattro S-Line/Monza Silver
      10-08-2015 11:45 PM #18

And yes the bumper has to come off to put the rings back on.
      Sent from somewhere at bottom of the river between Vega and Altair.

https://forums.fourtitude.com/showthread.php?7132668-AG-s-2010-A3-S-Line-Quattro

Vehicles
      09 A3
      10-13-2015 04:46 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by AngryGiraffe View Post

And yes the bumper has to come off to put the rings back on.
      this made me LOL like i said the plastic was just so brittle.. new one should be here tomorrow.

also the car threw a code P0171, im assuming its because i had an exhaust leak. the flex pipe was bad on the downpipe and leaking. once i got it to the shop and he cut it off, it basically broke in half. so he put a new one on and welded it into place. i went and had the code cleared and im hoping it doesnt come back. my mechanic said to drive the car hard for a bit to see if it comes back due to a vacuum leak.

Vehicles
      2009 a3 2.0t quattro
      10-13-2015 09:34 PM #20
      The pcv assembly likes to throw p0171s.

Vehicles
      09 A3
      10-15-2015 12:24 AM #21
      The pcv assembly likes to throw p0171s.
      thats funny, my mechanic actually called me yesterday and had me check that. listen to hear any whistling, and make sure there was no suction or air blowing out of the small hole on the top of the valve. after you posted this i googled its replacement and saw that its a pretty straight forward DIY, thanks for mentioning it . hopefully its fine and i dont throw another code though.

i also received my new rear view mirror yesterday. it was simple to put up, one thing i did notice is the compass LED isnt as bright as the previous mirror. also it seemed like it wasnt working well.. so i searched to see if the compass was in the car or the mirror, and i stumbled on a thread that states the compass mirror needs to be re-calibrated. basically you hold the power button until a C shows in the compass section. then you drive the car in a tight circle (around 5mph), until it calibrates and shows the direction. was simple enough and its working great now.

10-15-2015 02:16 PM #22
      I wonder what these would look like on your car. Kinda like em and those wheels will pop!

I hate cupholders

Vehicles
      09 A3
      10-21-2015 05:05 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by Tcardio View Post
      I wonder what these would look like on your car. Kinda like em and those wheels will pop!

theyre just lugs off of ecs? im annoyed at the usp ones i have, they were slightly chipped from being taken off and put on so many times and they have a bit of rust.

well, here is the last bath the car will get for a while.. i dropped it off at a VPC on monday in atlanta, and its going on a ship to be sent overseas. the latest it'll arrive at my new home is december the 15th. hopefully sooner. this is a big reason for doing the euro mods, i had to have it legal over there.

Vehicles
      09 A3
      01-08-2016 05:33 PM #24
      Well I made it across the pond and I've had the car for about 3 weeks.. And it's had 3 issues

#1 P0171 - aka pcv valve (I'm assuming).
      #2 ABS code, causing brake light, traction control light and abs light to come on.
      #3 left headlight dipped, short in circuit.

So the first one I did a bit of trouble shooting and I'm almost positive it's the pcv valve. So I ordered a pcv delete and catch can from cts turbo. I'm hoping it arrived sooner than later..

The second code popped up while I was driving home (spiritedly), so I went to the dealer near my house out here. They told me the abs module might be failing, and that I would lose abs if it did. Not that big of a deal except for 3 annoying lights and it won't pass the yearly inspection. They quoted me £1100 if it did fail.

Annnnnnd my favourite one. British B roads are horrendous when it rains a lot. I hit a rather nasty puddle the other morning and the car says "left headlight dipped". Then I notice one is out. I'm hoping it's a bulb issue but I had a friend pull the code and he said it was saying there was a short in it. So I'm waiting to hear back and see if there's anything he can tell me. I'm afraid I'll have to replace the ballast or the entire housing.

Oh and rule one, from the land of milk and honey

26. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Audi A3
      01-08-2016 10:41 PM #25
      Ha! I just shipped my car from Europe to the US last summer. And I'm sorry, but GB is hardly the land of milk and honey. Otherwise, car looks great, keep it up.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast