Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Glowshift Boost gauge install help

Vehicles
      8P Audi A3 2.0t & MK6 GTI
      09-17-2015 11:46 AM #1
      Hi guys I recently bought an 01 Wolfsburg to make a quick flip and take a few things from, for my 03 Wolfsburg. In the trunk I found a box full of goodies, one being a Glowshift 25 psi boost gauge that looked to be in good condition minus the fact that all the wires were snipped short. I soldered on new wire extensions and ordered boost hose with compression fittings and a T fitting. Now my only problem is the wiring part of the install below you will find a diagram of the install. It says to connect Yellow to an unswitched 12v source (where could I find that?) It also says to connect Red to a switched 12v power source, am I able to do connect the red to 75x underneath the dash? or is there a better spot? I already have my aftermarket radio and amplifier remote wire running off of 75x and I'm scared to add another wire there just in case it overloads it. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by TurboSharef; 09-17-2015 at 01:40 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2002 GTI
      09-17-2015 12:54 PM #2
      I remembered helping someone else with this same gauge, this is from the thread.
      full thread if you want to read it.
      https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...7#post87008137
      Let me know if it doesn't make sense, as far as overloading it, it's all coming from the battery to that 75x,30..panel, you could install fuses to be safe in the power wires.
      Your amp power wire should be ran off the battery post and fused, not that little panel.

Quote Originally Posted by hithard02 View Post
      Yes, from those instructions I would hook the orange and purple to the 75x and the yellow to the 30, black to the bolt above the fuse panel and disregard the dimmer all together as the instructions specifically mention not to use it.

Although if you look up the online instructions for that boost gauge as opposed to the ones you posted
      GlowShift Instructions
      They say that the "orange wire" is for the dimming function (no need to hook it up if you are not needing use of the dimming function). In that case, purple to the 75x, yellow to the 30, black to the bolt and orange to the dimmer switch.

It looks like the choice is yours young grasshopper.

Seeing how both instructions are for the same gauge and the only difference is that one uses purple wire and one uses red it seems the company is contradicting itself on how to actually set it up and whether the dimming function actually works. "Dimmer Wire Allows the Gauge to Dim 30%"

Personally I would set it up with orange to dimmer scenario.
      or just sell it, get on the newsouth website and pic up a VDO on the cheap yo.

Vehicles
      09-17-2015 01:31 PM #3
      Your amp power wire should be ran off the battery post and fused, not that little panel.
      Sorry not the amp power, but the remote switch is run off of 75x to turn the amp on and off with the ignition, the actual power is coming from the battery as you mentioned and running directly to the amp with the fuse in the engine bay.

So what you're saying (just to be clear) is that I should connect the yellow wire to 30 and the red to 75x, I don't really care for the dimming function to I'm not gonna use the orange, and the ground to the nut right above 75x? Btw I appreciate the response!
      Last edited by TurboSharef; 09-17-2015 at 01:37 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2002 GTI
      09-17-2015 01:51 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by TurboSharef View Post
      Sorry not the amp power, but the remote switch is run off of 75x to turn the amp on and off with the ignition, the actual power is coming from the battery as you mentioned and running directly to the amp with the fuse in the engine bay.

So what you're saying (just to be clear) is that I should connect the yellow wire to 30 and the red to 75x, I don't really care for the dimming function to I'm not gonna use the orange, and the ground to the nut right above 75x? Btw I appreciate the response!
      Yep, that is how I would do it, if you do decide to use the dimmer switch cut it into the dimmer wire on the aftermarket stereo adaptor, that way you don't have to cut your oem wires just the $5 metra adapter (I wish I would of thought of that before I installed my boost gauge and jetta vents).

Here is another diy that covers the post, wiring and pictures.
      Boost Gauge wiring DIY

I have my remote wire hooked up like that in my gti as my blaupunkt head unit plugs directly into the factory wiring and I'll be banging a phat scratch track pi$$ing off the old folks and making them sh*t themselves with bass as I pull into a parking spot, turn the engine off so I can sit and enjoy the rest of a track and then bam no more bass. I really need to remember to fix that.

Vehicles
      09-17-2015 02:07 PM #5
      Yep, that is how I would do it, if you do decide to use the dimmer switch cut it into the dimmer wire on the aftermarket stereo adaptor, that way you don't have to cut your oem wires just the $5 metra adapter (I wish I would of thought of that before I installed my boost gauge and jetta vents).

Here is another diy that covers the post, wiring and pictures.
      Boost Gauge wiring DIY

I have my remote wire hooked up like that in my gti as my blaupunkt head unit plugs directly into the factory wiring and I'll be banging a phat scratch track pi$$ing off the old folks and making them sh*t themselves with bass as I pull into a parking spot, turn the engine off so I can sit and enjoy the rest of a track and then bam no more bass. I really need to remember to fix that.
      my 01 GLS never needed a wire running to 75x and the aftermarket radio would stay on just as the stock would when you turn the ignition off, but now since I have an 03 Wolfsburg with the monsoon system I use 75x to turn my head unit on and off i have found the ignition sweet spot to keep the radio on and not the rest of the functions. Thanks for the help on the boost gauge though!
      Last edited by TurboSharef; 09-17-2015 at 02:09 PM.