VWVortex.com - Burger Motorsport JB1 Plug and Play Information Thread 7R and S3 Specific
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 157 123451151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Burger Motorsport JB1 Plug and Play Information Thread 7R and S3 Specific

1. Banner Advertiser George@BMS's Avatar
      09-26-2015 09:08 AM #1
      MAC MAP CHANGING ISSUE RESOLVED, PLEASE DOWNLOAD LATEST VERSION http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21742

MAC SOFTWARE IN ITS CURRENT REVISION SEEMS TO HAVE CAUSED A ISSUE WHICH REVERTS THE BOX TO MAP 0 WHEN MAP CHANGES SO ITS ADVISED NOT BE USED AT THIS STAGE, LINK HAS BEEN TAKEN DOWN AND WILL BE PUT BACK UP ONCE WE RESOLVE THE ISSUE

We would like to introduce Vortex users to our latest offering and entry into the VAG Group market.
      The unit is called a stage 1 or JB1 as it is called on the forum because it is a simpler unit compared to the yet to be released JB4 and does not signify stage tuning as one is use to when it comes to flash tuning.

These units are now available and a ready for order at http://burgertuning.com/vw_volkswage...JB1_tuner.html with a retail price of $379.

The JB1 is a true plug and play tune offering safe and adjustable gains. It can be installed and removed in minutes.

The unit ships with a base setting in map 1 that increases the boost by +4.75psi over stock that is safe to be used with 91US octane and 95 Euro. The typical power gains on this setting are 35whp and 40ft lb. With higher octane accompanied with bolt ons and octane we have seen gains of 75whp and 70ft lb in Map 1. All of this whilst keeping the engines stock fail safes in place.

Install instructions:
      Install instructions can be found here: http://burgertuning.com/instructions...G_EA888_G3.pdf

Great install video from Vortex user Schwabo (thank you ): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiLLomQAcPo
      removal of intake is not necessary. It shows a easy way of doing Plug D.

Tutorial of how to install User interface software, connect to unit and make changes.

User interface software:
      For users that have opted to purchase the optional BMS Data Cable you will need to download and install the Windows user interface at this link http://www.n54tech.com/flash_files/jb4_interface.zip
      There is a 3rd Party Developed Mac interface that can also be used, download link can be found here at bottom of post 1 http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21742
      Watch this video which has a walk through of the process and also the steps to change maps and tuning settings. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjQjMWBVve4

Directions on how to connect and change firmware:

Directions on installing the interface and connecting to your JB can be found here http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showpo...21&postcount=1
      Firmware is what runs the JB1 unit. As we release updates or new firmware versions this can be uploaded to your unit free of charge.

Map selection:

In order to change the map in the picture below under the logging tab you can pick the required map. Under status the unit must show connected. This is done by clicking file and selecting connect.

Upon shipping the following maps are active:
      Map 0: Stock with complete pass through i.e. the JB1 does nothing
      Map 1: Tuned map with adjustable global profile, this supports 91 octane at the base boost setting as well as bolt ons. If higher octane is used the boost can be increased as well as with bolt ons. We found that with intake, dp and 93 the boost can be pushed to +5.5psi. The method of doing this is in the second picture below. A E35 ethanol mix has been tested with this map and its fully compatible to run at boost levels up to +5.5psi when complimented with FBO (full bolt on mods). For anything higher than +5.5psi race fuel is required.
      Map 3: Map three allows the JB1 to be the methanol controller working as a fail safe cutting boost if lack of meth flow is detected. You will require a Coolingmist FSB to get this working.
      Map 6: User adjustable boost profile (see below) Active on units that ship 30.09.2015 and after. If you have previously purchased your unit before reading this please email me [email protected] to receive a copy of the firmware.

Map 1 Boost settings:
      Below is a diagram of where the user adjustment is made for boost over stock circled in blue. Add in the value and click save.

Map 6 boost setting:

For map 6 you will need to connect to the unit and select map 6. If you have previously purchased your unit before reading this please email me [email protected] to receive a copy of the firmware. On units that ship from 30.09.2015 there is no need. If your unit has a exposed blue wire you will need to email.

Below is where you enter the values for map 6 circled in orange. It works similar to map 1 so the value is the additional boost over stock.

The unit can log boost the elevated boost on the two sensors, ECU boost as well as the rail pressure. The balance of the engine parameters and settings in the picture are exclusive to the yet to be released JB4 but it gives you a idea of what is to come.

Guys with boost gauges that are working off the OBD signal will only see stock boost.

If you suspect you triggered a engine light by unplugging a sensor by not waiting for the car to go into sleep mode rather clear faults before a dealer visit.

Support queries can be posted on the BMS support forum http://www.n54tech.com under the VW group section or using email at [email protected] . Please include the model of the car, fuel used and hardware.
      Last edited by [email protected]; 03-06-2020 at 04:42 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Junior Member
      09-26-2015 09:41 AM #2
      Good to see you over here George.

I have a JB1 on my R and love it. Currently running Map 1 at 5 psi, no issues at all!

Just emailed you for the new firmware. Can't wait to play with map 6!

4. Member
      09-26-2015 12:27 PM #3
      Good to see you on here. A couple things I've been wondering about with this tune:

• The dyno charts mostly seem to start around 3k RPM. Is there any torque gain below that?
      • Will the JB4 have the same sets of harness connectors (plus CANBUS)? Or will it be a simpler installer?

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. Banner Advertiser George@BMS's Avatar
      09-26-2015 12:43 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by Lionel_Hutz View Post
      Good to see you on here. A couple things I've been wondering about with this tune:

• The dyno charts mostly seem to start around 3k RPM. Is there any torque gain below that?
      • Will the JB4 have the same sets of harness connectors (plus CANBUS)? Or will it be a simpler installer?
      The gain lower is marginal as we have not spooled the turbo to the maximum and allow it to follow it natural spool pick up, from 2000rpm we adding 2psi, 2500rpm 3psi.
      I could only find this dyno that starts at low rpm. Its a 7R with intake and full exhaust system on the baseline with JB1 added after. Reading is flywheel with the pink line showing the calculated driveline losses. From around 2500rpm its starts gaining a decent amount of torque.

The JB4 by the looks of it will have similar connectors with a few more added. It will not be a simpler install but the rest of the sensors potentially planned are easy to reach.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2015 VW Golf R MK7
      09-26-2015 12:44 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Dark Prophet View Post
      Good to see you over here George.

I have a JB1 on my R and love it. Currently running Map 1 at 5 psi, no issues at all!

Just emailed you for the new firmware. Can't wait to play with map 6!
      Any bolt ons? What octane?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

8. Junior Member
      09-26-2015 01:12 PM #6
      Duplicate.
      Last edited by chrisblack2k1; 09-26-2015 at 11:48 PM.

9. Junior Member
      09-26-2015 01:14 PM #7
      Do you have any 0-60 or 1/4 mile times achieved with this hardware? I've heard a lot of people tout these as 'undetectable' by dealers for warranty work, but it would surprise me if the engine's ECU doesn't store any sort of historical operating information. Can you speak to that?

10. Banner Advertiser George@BMS's Avatar
      09-26-2015 01:57 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by chrisblack2k1 View Post
      Do you have any 0-60 or 1/4 mile times achieved with this hardware? I've heard a lot of people tout these as 'undetectable' by dealers for warranty work, but it would surprise me if the engine's ECU doesn't store any sort of historical operating information. Can you speak to that?
      The ECU does not see the boost since it is chasing its own boost target with the piggy back. This means all measured values related to torque, load and boost are stock in any log. The measured torque is a temperature vs boost vs calculated airflow algorithm. The fuel trims are taken care of by biasing the rail pressure by taking the ECU out of being in a adaption phase continuously. This keeps the Low pressure fuel trim at stock level which is a stored value on the ECU. The only value that is different in terms a live logging is that of waist gate position but we work within the allowable tolerance where the ECU will trigger a boost leak fault code.

We have let customers do the track time. At the moment there are few cars running low 12's in various states on trim with the customers starting to find their feet with the pre-release map 6 software. 0-60's are well in the high 3's.
      We will be going out and running some times in the next month with our own test car but vbox figures are showing we in the 11's comfortably.

Vehicles
      2004 R32, 2015 Golf R
      09-26-2015 03:01 PM #9
      Hmm I'm interested in using this over the winter until I get a full tune next spring (and see where the JB4 is at).

Does this definitely not suffer from the strange oscillation when quickly getting off throttle like the Nuespeed power module? I'm assuming that the extra sensor connections give this unit more control over the power characteristics?

12. Member
      Vehicles
      LSG manual 2016 R with DCC / NAV
      09-26-2015 04:21 PM #10
      How long does it take to install and remove? The instructions state "minutes" but does that mean 10 minutes or 120 minutes?

13. Banner Advertiser George@BMS's Avatar
      09-26-2015 05:16 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by afrost View Post
      Hmm I'm interested in using this over the winter until I get a full tune next spring (and see where the JB4 is at).

Does this definitely not suffer from the strange oscillation when quickly getting off throttle like the Nuespeed power module? I'm assuming that the extra sensor connections give this unit more control over the power characteristics?
      We have no reports of oscillations when off the throttle. The unit is logic based so parameters are programmed and is not a inline resistor system. The JB is inactive the moment you release the throttle due to boost drop which is its ultimate trigger.

14. Banner Advertiser George@BMS's Avatar
      09-26-2015 05:18 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by BzzzBom View Post
      How long does it take to install and remove? The instructions state "minutes" but does that mean 10 minutes or 120 minutes?
      Average users report around 10 minutes at most if they can get to the bottom plug (Plug D) in the instructions from the top. On the R there is more in the way so its virtually a guarantee to go from the bottom so I would say set a side a good 20 minutes for the job.

15. Member
      Vehicles
      LSG MK7 Golf R base
      09-26-2015 06:47 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      Average users report around 10 minutes at most if they can get to the bottom plug (Plug D) in the instructions from the top. On the R there is more in the way so its virtually a guarantee to go from the bottom so I would say set a side a good 20 minutes for the job.
      yep. the bottom plug is the trickiest plug. the other 3 can be done in less than 5 and that's taking your sweet time.
      15 Base R LSG, DIY front splitter,DIY front grill protection mod (save that AC!), OZ Superleggeras, Huper Optik tint, JB1 stage 1, 034 Motorsports dog bone, Apr intake, Pedalbox
      Check out my Blog with pics and how-to http://robdaman.blogspot.com/
      YouTube videos https://www.youtube.com/c/RobDaman

16. Member
      Vehicles
      2003 VW GTI Stg 1, 2009 STI stg2, 2015 STI stg1
      09-26-2015 06:54 PM #14
      Out of curiosity what happens if you take your car to the dealer with jb1 installed and they hook it up to the port to check for codes or whatever. ..will it trigger anything upon a scan?

17. n00b
      Vehicles
      2012 TT RS (coming soon)
      09-26-2015 07:09 PM #15
      What about the R's with the inaccesible ECU's? Any need to access the ECU directly?

18. Banner Advertiser George@BMS's Avatar
      09-26-2015 07:10 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by STITOR View Post
      Out of curiosity what happens if you take your car to the dealer with jb1 installed and they hook it up to the port to check for codes or whatever. ..will it trigger anything upon a scan?
      Its diagnostically invisible.

19. Banner Advertiser George@BMS's Avatar
      09-26-2015 07:21 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by ericlut View Post
      What about the R's with the inaccesible ECU's? Any need to access the ECU directly?
      The unit is not affected by the flash protected ECU's if that is what you mean. The one that have the metal cradle around the ECU are not a problem since the harness connects to the sensors.

20. Banner Advertiser George@BMS's Avatar
      09-27-2015 11:13 AM #18
      Got sent this by one of our users. 7R manual on default settings with VMR600 intake thrashing it around the track. I think he did 30 laps total and the car ran flawless.

Video link

Last edited by [email protected]; 10-17-2015 at 08:19 PM.

21. Banner Advertiser George@BMS's Avatar
      09-28-2015 05:44 AM #19
      This was posted on N54tech.com. http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showth...521#post409521 Its a UK Spec 7R, stock with 99Ron (94US) Shell. Car is stock and was tested by our UK Dealers www.theperformancecentre.co.uk
      This is JB1 on default setting as it ships.
      Stock
      Wheel horsepower: 245.3 hp
      Flywheel calculated horsepower: 296.2 bhp
      Flywheel Torque: 290 ftlb

Tuned:
      Wheel horsepower: 295.6 hp
      Flywheel calculated horsepower: 357.6 bhp
      Flywheel Torque: 378.7 ftlb

Power gained at the wheels = 50.3 hp
      flywheel power gained = 61.4 bhp
      Torque gained = 88.7 ftlb

Last edited by [email protected]; 09-29-2015 at 11:10 AM.

22. Banner Advertiser George@BMS's Avatar
      09-29-2015 03:52 PM #20
      JB1 user cupersteve and some of his quarter mile shenanigans.

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...ntures-in-dRag

Youtube Vid of his 12.2second run.

23. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 Golf R
      09-29-2015 04:28 PM #21
      Any update on the JB4 yet George? I'm waiting until my first service to pick one of these up, and I'm hoping the JB4 is ready by then.

24. Junior Member
      09-29-2015 05:06 PM #22
      I ordered mine late last week and it was here Monday I'll be out of town this weekend, but will get it installed next week and report back! George has answered every one of my emails and inquiries in a quick manner. Very professional and pretty much unmatched in customer service. I went with JB1 b/c I wanted a bit more power than stock and at the same time wanted to keep my warranty (invested in extended coverage). I don't think there is a better choice for this route and if you look at the results from many owners, they are getting close to flash tune gains, but without the worry of your car being flagged when serviced
      2016 Golf R | DSG| Tornado Red |VWR Springs | Spullen Spacer Kit | JB1 Stage 1 | 18% Tint | Maxton Front Lip

25. Banner Advertiser George@BMS's Avatar
      09-29-2015 05:22 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by Sedako View Post
      Any update on the JB4 yet George? I'm waiting until my first service to pick one of these up, and I'm hoping the JB4 is ready by then.
      We looking at next year only. Its a lot of work.

Vehicles
      '16 Golf 7R DSG/NAV/DCC Oryx White
      09-29-2015 05:44 PM #24
      Received mine yesterday (super fasst shipping), took it out of the packaging today, but didn't install.

I have a visit to the dealer in 3 days (rear wiper doesn't work) and thought I would wait to install. I didn't realize that it was undetectable to the Dealer (unless they look under the hood during the visit).
      2016 Golf 7R DSG, DCC, Nav, Oryx White, Black- Hi Gloss vinyl roof, APR stage-2&TCU, IE Intercooler and intake, lots of suspension and handling upgrades...
      '14 Audi a6 3.0T (wife)...'01+'03 VW Beetles 1.9 Diesel 171K+234K(daughters)
      Gone: '12 VW Passat TDi, Audi B7 S4 Avant 6MT (oil-eater), '06 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon track car

Vehicles
      2004 R32, 2015 Golf R
      09-29-2015 05:48 PM #25
      Yep I think I'm going to order one of these to install after my first dealer visit (the free oil change for 2015s)

Page 1 of 157 123451151101 ... LastLast