VWVortex.com - Climatronic (sometimes) blowing hot air instead of cold
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Climatronic (sometimes) blowing hot air instead of cold

1. 10-04-2015 11:18 PM #1
      My 2015 GSW climatronic is acting weird... sometimes... Here, "sometimes" is the keyword!

For example, today, a cold day (10degC) and with the setting to LOW on both passenger and driver side, and no recycle on, it was blowing warm air (about 25degC). Even trying to turn on the AC didn't get the air to blow colder...

Another example, this summer on a very hot day, it took about 15 minutes to blow cold air with the MAX AC on... Then the AC seemed to get stuck to on when turning it off (we had to completely close the climatronic system and open the windows as we were now freezing to death!)

The thing is, this isn't happening all the time, and I don't want to lose my time with this if I cannot reproduce the problem when I go to the dealership...

Is this a known issue? Did this happened to any of you? Any quick fix or this has to be dealt by the dealership?

2. Remove Advertisements
      VWVortex.com
      Advertisements
    3. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI SEL
      10-04-2015 11:23 PM #2
      It has happened to a few of us...it is a known issue...my compressor had to be replaced. Like yours, mine worked intermittently. I waited until it failed, then didn't use it until I could get it in. They had to order the compressor, so the car actually had to go in a second time. Covered under warranty but I complained to VW about it. Compressor should not be failing after 3 months of use.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI SEL
      10-04-2015 11:25 PM #3
      Also, check out the "A/C problems" thread.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 GSW SE TSI
      10-05-2015 12:06 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by jen_madcity View Post
      It has happened to a few of us...it is a known issue...my compressor had to be replaced. Like yours, mine worked intermittently. I waited until it failed, then didn't use it until I could get it in. They had to order the compressor, so the car actually had to go in a second time. Covered under warranty but I complained to VW about it. Compressor should not be failing after 3 months of use.

The compressor is fine. The problem is the RCV (refrigerant control valve). The same thing happened on my '12 JSW tdi. Two different dealers told me there was nothing wrong. Frustrated I decided to research the subject on the TDI Club and found that the RCV is the problem with intermittent AC 95% of the time. By then my 3/36000 warranty had expired. When I went to VW to buy a new RCV it turns out that VW doesn't even stock it, preferring to replace perfectly good compressors instead. They offered to sell me a new compressor for $550. I said no and went to a place that sells auto AC parts, paid $49 for a new RCV, went to a friends shop and had the R134 evacuated, went home and spent no more than 25 minutes removing the old RCV and installing the new one, and went back to te shop and had the R134 put back in the system.

As soon as I turned it on the AC was ice cold and stayed that way until I traded the JSW in a week ago.

That is how you fix intermittent VW AC fast and easy without having to leave your car at the dealer and letting them throw a perfectly good compressor away.
      2016 GSW SE tsi
      2009 BMW 335d
      2008 VW Rabbit
      2004 Nissan Titan SE KC
      1972 Datsun 240Z autox/road racer

6. 10-06-2015 07:20 AM #5
      By the way, just received an update from Tapatalk... Post search is working again! If only it would be that simple with car problems! ;-)

7. Member
      Vehicles
      15' sportwagoon
      10-06-2015 11:29 AM #6
      May A/C was being funny too, taking a while to turn to turn on and such. On mine it was just a valve that they swapped out, they had it done it 3 hours and it works flawless now.

With that being said why bother even coming to the internet? What are you hoping to hear? Don't trust us, we just think we know whats wrong with the car or what the problem is, but unless one of us is standing in front of your car with a OBD scanner then we are clueless.. You car has a warranty, just call the dealer schedule an appointment, and get it fixed? They give out free loaners all you have to do is ask, and if there is no loaners then you get a free rental, its not a big deal.

Let the professionals with tools and scanners decide whats going on. I realized what an unpopular opinion this is, but shot-gun trouble shooting will get you no where.
      Last edited by shazbott; 10-06-2015 at 11:36 AM.

8. 10-06-2015 01:37 PM #7
      I agree with you... I'm not hoping for this forum to solve the problem...
      But by experience with the VW dealers, around where I live at least, they do not always find the problem and sometimes fix the wrong thing...
      I got 4 dealers trying to fix an oil leak I had on my former Jetta... This lasted almost 1 year! And all it was finally was a 20$ cracked vent tube (found the info on vwvortex forum).
      Yes it's under warranty... And they give you a car... But it's always good to know if your problem is a known issue, to at least raise the dealers' attention on a possible cause.
      You know, I have better things to do than driving my car to the dealer.
      Sorry, but I lost confidence with my latest experience!

9. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 GSW SE TSI
      10-06-2015 02:21 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by shazbott View Post
      May A/C was being funny too, taking a while to turn to turn on and such. On mine it was just a valve that they swapped out, they had it done it 3 hours and it works flawless now.

With that being said why bother even coming to the internet? What are you hoping to hear? Don't trust us, we just think we know whats wrong with the car or what the problem is, but unless one of us is standing in front of your car with a OBD scanner then we are clueless.. You car has a warranty, just call the dealer schedule an appointment, and get it fixed? They give out free loaners all you have to do is ask, and if there is no loaners then you get a free rental, its not a big deal.

Let the professionals with tools and scanners decide whats going on. I realized what an unpopular opinion this is, but shot-gun trouble shooting will get you no where.
      My car was out of the 36/3year by 2000 miles. Regardless my local dealers mechanics are just parts changers who dont know how to analyse intermittent problems. Much easier to just say "could not duplicate".
      2016 GSW SE tsi
      2009 BMW 335d
      2008 VW Rabbit
      2004 Nissan Titan SE KC
      1972 Datsun 240Z autox/road racer

10. Member
      Vehicles
      15' sportwagoon
      10-06-2015 04:34 PM #9
      I guess I'm spoiled with my dealer, they had the part on hand, fixed the car, got all the tabs reinstalled on the air dam, and did not make a mess of anything.

I knew trips to the dealer were going to me common place in our future, So that's why I never post and just call and let them figure it out.