VWVortex.com - 2016 AC Draining to Interior
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 2016 AC Draining to Interior

1. 10-31-2015 05:35 PM #1
      2016 Autobahn about 5 weeks old - A couple of weeks ago I noticed a DEEP pool of water in the rear passenger floorboard.

I thought a kid spilled a bottle of water or something, but now two weeks later, it's still there.

It is just water, there's been zero rain here in CA, and no recent car washing.

I believe it is from the wife's trip to work and back when she runs the AC the entire way.

I just went out and ran the ac for 20 minutes, and there is zero water dripping from under the vehicle.

We had a *terrible* experience at the dealer, and I'm hesitant to take it back there.

1) Can someone point me to the condensation drain line? I hear it's along the firewall in the engine compartment.
      2) What else could cause the condensation line to drain to the interior?
      3) What would you guys do about the carpet? Any chance at the dealer if we push for replacement?

I appreciate any tips.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 11-02-2015 02:04 PM #2
      Well, I guess no one has run into this one yet. Here's an update:

Dropped the car off at the dealer this AM. The summary is, "That's a problem. We'll have to find the root cause. We'll likely have to tear the interior apart. I can't commit to any timeframe."

I emphasized this is the wife's first new car, and that the mildew smell in a 1 month old car is a problem. He agreed.

We'll see how it goes! Hopefully this info helps someone else down the road.

4. 11-02-2015 03:52 PM #3
      I had the exact same issue with my 13 VW Passat. I didn't notice the problem until almost 6 months (bought the car in the fall didn't use the A/C much until the next Spring) after buying the car because the water was draining into the passenger side rear foot area and I had the VW rubber mats down. It was the smell i noticed before anything else. Took it to the dealer and they tried various things to rid the car of the smell until I by chance found the wet floor. I was told that the drain plug wasn't routed thru the whole at the bottom of the car and they removed the carpets and rectified the problem. I hated that car and traded it in for my 911. Hopefully I won't have the same issues with my MK7 GTI. Good luck on getting your problem resolved.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. 11-03-2015 05:49 PM #4
      Thanks for the reply! Day two at the dealer with no return call yet. I can see through the app that they are driving it.

My main problem is that the car itself is amazing! We really love the feel and features of the car. Hopefully they can sort it out quickly.

7. 11-05-2015 01:08 PM #5
      A quick update.

The dealer called back and said, "We've torn apart the interior, and can't find a leak. Are you sure you didn't go through a car wash?"

I replied, "Absolutely not. Every car I've ever seen drips AC condensation under the car when it's running. Did you ensure that it's draining under the car?"

"Let me check with the guys one more time."

Then there was zero contact the next day. Luckily for my sanity, I could see them moving the car every couple of hours in the app, and last night, I could tell it was parked inside the shop.

This morning, my service guy calls, "We found the leak. New factory carpet is on order, and we'll have the car ready for you on Monday. I'll set up a rental for you that you can pick up from Enterprise today."

It was definitively the AC draining to the interior.

Seems like VW Oakland Service is going to come through as we expected. I'll update once more when I have the car back.

8. 11-05-2015 05:30 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by cherbini View Post

This morning, my service guy calls, "We found the leak. New factory carpet is on order, and we'll have the car ready for you on Monday. I'll set up a rental for you that you can pick up from Enterprise today."
      Soon to be first time VW owner here. Does VW not typically have loaner cars?

9. 11-05-2015 06:20 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by penaltybox View Post
      My wife was also confused after spending a ton of money on the GTI.

The unspoken message I received was, "When we determine your car is being serviced because it's our fault, we'll get you a rental."

If you read the VW camshaft lobe recall notice, one of the FAQs was, "Does this recall provide rentals for those affected?" and the answer was "Not at this time."

So I think it's likely a dealer expense that can get reimbursed by corporate.

It's our first new car, so I'm not sure how other brands work.

Vehicles
      '15 RSM e-Golf SEL | '15 CW Passat TSI SEL
      11-05-2015 06:48 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by penaltybox View Post
      Depends. You can get a loaner if the dealer has them available. It can be a bit trickier when they are out and have to work with a rental car company.

When my car was in the shop, with a week eta on repair, the dealer was out of loaner cars. They had to go up the food chain to get an authorization on a rental expensed.

I spoke with VWoA about the matter later and was told that rental car coverage was not part of B2B Warranty.

11. 11-12-2015 12:45 PM #9
      Another update.

It's been just about 2 weeks now. Service manager said, new carpet will be here on Monday, car should be detailed and ready Tuesday.

No call Tuesday, no call Wednesday.

Just called, service manager had "just stepped out of the building". But guy on phone was familiar with the car "because I see it all the time." he talked to the tech and...

They didn't order the insulation with the carpet. Ordered it yesterday.

Simply unprofessional on so many levels. I would not recommend doing business with VW of Oakland. Nothing but a nightmare all the way around.

It's a shame that a great car can't be sold or supported in a professional way.
      Last edited by cherbini; 11-12-2015 at 12:47 PM.

Vehicles
      '15 RSM e-Golf SEL | '15 CW Passat TSI SEL
      11-12-2015 12:52 PM #10
      Another update.

It's been just about 2 weeks now. Service manager said, new carpet will be here on Monday, car should be detailed and ready Tuesday.

No call Tuesday, no call Wednesday.

Just called, service manager had "just stepped out of the building". But guy on phone was familiar with the car "because I see it all the time." he talked to the tech and...

They didn't order the insulation with the carpet. Ordered it yesterday.

Simply unprofessional on so many levels. I would not recommend doing business with VW of Oakland. Nothing but a nightmare all the way around.

It's a shame that a great car can't be sold or supported in a professional way.
      that sucks

Vehicles
      3 Door MK7 Golf GTI, Performance Pack , Manual, CSG
      11-12-2015 06:01 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by DasCC View Post
      Depends. You can get a loaner if the dealer has them available. It can be a bit trickier when they are out and have to work with a rental car company.

When my car was in the shop, with a week eta on repair, the dealer was out of loaner cars. They had to go up the food chain to get an authorization on a rental expensed.

I spoke with VWoA about the matter later and was told that rental car coverage was not part of B2B Warranty.
      I liked how BMW always gave me a loaner when I brought it in for (free) service.

One time they gave me a ****ty loaner (Pontiac G5 or Chevy Cobalt, same difference). I made it my mission to drive it the same way I drove the M3 for comic relief. It did not survive the day.

They gave me an X5 the time after that
      2013 MK7 GTI - CSG, 2 Door, Manual, P-Pack, Bixenon HIDs, Mirror Pack, Park Assist, DynAudio, DAB+
      Mods: Eurodyne Stage 2 98RON tune, BCS 100 cell DP, USP Tear-Duct intake, Spullen Silicone intake hose, DIY dogbone mount, DIY turbo muffler delete, DV+, ST 20/20mm springs, 5mm rear spacers, 17x8 OZ Alleggerita HLTs, Water/Alcohol injection, Soundaktor delete.

14. 11-19-2015 03:23 PM #12
      Another update.

Apparently, carpet insulation arrived from Germany today, and they expect to have it installed and detailed, ready to pick up tomorrow.

We'll see how it goes.

15. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2015 Mk7 GTI, SE, MT, 4dr
      11-19-2015 05:08 PM #13
      Glad to read that you are getting resolution. And will get back driving this great car very soon.

Are you going to go elsewhere for the scheduled maintenance?

Vroom

16. 11-20-2015 03:13 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by VW Vroom View Post
      Glad to read that you are getting resolution. And will get back driving this great car very soon.

Are you going to go elsewhere for the scheduled maintenance?
      Got the car back yesterday. The interior seems to have re-installed fairly well. I'm going to give it a closer look this evening. They did a terrible job "detailing" the car, but wife is happy to have it back.

They confirmed that the AC drain line came loose at a fitting, and was draining to the interior.

I am going to do my best to never go to VW Oakland again.

That being said, does anyone have links that show requirements to keep it under warranty?

I plan on changing and analyzing the oil at 5k miles. We're at 3100 now.

17. Member
      Vehicles
      GTI Sport
      11-20-2015 04:41 PM #15
      Got the car back yesterday. The interior seems to have re-installed fairly well. I'm going to give it a closer look this evening. They did a terrible job "detailing" the car, but wife is happy to have it back.

They confirmed that the AC drain line came loose at a fitting, and was draining to the interior.

That being said, does anyone have links that show requirements to keep it under warranty?

I would also be interested in the "keep it in warranty" criteria. Sub'd.

On another note, I just got through having 2+ weeks of major issues with Sunnyvale VW down here, so don't bother coming all the way down here to see them. Same sort of part ordering issues and terrible detailing nonsense. Really just garbage service overall. Hard to believe they seem to WANT to piss people off.

Long story short I got a brand new car with a trim piece that was completely scratched to ****, like someone rubbed it on concrete really hard, and also some screwy stuff going on with the windshield. I asked them to replace the trim and fix the windshield and complete incompetence ensued.
      /// CSG '17 GTI Sport | VWR | Bilstein B8 | Eibach 25mm | Neuspeed RSe12 | Continental 235 | Euro Blind Spot Mirrors | SunTek CXP 35/18 | K&N | DeAuto | SoundSkin Pro| Helix SoundBox | A119 DashCam | RGM Guards | OBDEleven'd |

18. 11-24-2015 01:25 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by PhishinSmokinVdub View Post
      I would also be interested in the "keep it in warranty" criteria. Sub'd.

On another note, I just got through having 2+ weeks of major issues with Sunnyvale VW down here, so don't bother coming all the way down here to see them. Same sort of part ordering issues and terrible detailing nonsense. Really just garbage service overall. Hard to believe they seem to WANT to piss people off.

Long story short I got a brand new car with a trim piece that was completely scratched to ****, like someone rubbed it on concrete really hard, and also some screwy stuff going on with the windshield. I asked them to replace the trim and fix the windshield and complete incompetence ensued.
      Unfortunate that the dealers can't offer any added value, only added frustration.

Searching on the Internet, the warranty info in the US is not readily available. I'll check the printed manual tonight, it has to be in there.

Vehicles
      2016 S4, 2018 Atlas SEL R-Line, 1972 Super Beetle
      11-24-2015 09:23 PM #17

Make sure you call VWoA and complain. I've filed multiple complaints in the same phone call before. Dealers change their attitude real quick after a call from corporate.
      Quote Originally Posted by elementpb View Post
      I'd hit it. I've done worse. Hell, don't tell my girlfriend, but I'm doing worse right now.
      Quantity>quality. there. i said it. gimme 20 fugly bitches and a bottle of tequila and I'll show you how to have a good time.

20. 09-11-2019 03:40 PM #18
      Did they give you any details on where the line came loose or if it was serviceable without ripping the carpet out? I believe Iím having the exact same problem. My rear passenger footwell is sopping wet. Iíve gone through almost 2 rolls of paper towels and shop vacíd the crap out of the floorboard to pull out a ton of water and Iím almost certain itís the AC draining inside somehow. I have a 15 GTI SE and this just started about 2 weeks ago. Anyone else have any info on where the lines run and if they are accessible without tearing half the car apart?

Vehicles
      GTI
      09-11-2019 09:29 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by lopezzi View Post
      Did they give you any details on where the line came loose or if it was serviceable without ripping the carpet out? I believe Iím having the exact same problem. My rear passenger footwell is sopping wet. Iíve gone through almost 2 rolls of paper towels and shop vacíd the crap out of the floorboard to pull out a ton of water and Iím almost certain itís the AC draining inside somehow. I have a 15 GTI SE and this just started about 2 weeks ago. Anyone else have any info on where the lines run and if they are accessible without tearing half the car apart?
      There is a recall on speaker gaskets leaking which sounds like your issue. To only have water in the rear passenger area isn't a AC condensation hose leak. It would be in the front passenger area and migrate back not start in the rear.

22. 09-11-2019 10:49 PM #20
      Iíve read that as well, and still need to test the theory but Iím waiting to dry out the back as much as possible so I can be sure to know which test is creating the water. The odd thing is, I had the floor almost completely dry, it was pretty much dry to the touch, only damp is you really pressed in on the carpet. I then ran my AC all the way home from work yesterday and now the carpet is more wet than it was the other day. It has not rained in about 10 days and I have not been to the car wash in about 2 weeks so there has been no outside water in days, but yet the floor is wetter than it was yesterday after running the AC. I agree, it doesnít really make sense for the back to be wet, but the OP is describing my issue pretty much verbatim. If it was the door/speaker gasket, would there be evidence around the speaker grill or door anywhere? Iíve tried looking and I canít see any evidence of water in that area. Once itís dry, Iím gonna spray the outside window with the hose and see what happens, but I figured I would see some water evidence if it was already leaking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23. 09-13-2019 07:59 PM #21
      Just to post an update, itís absolutely the AC condensation drain hose. I saw a video of where the hose is located (front seat, passenger side) and decided to take a look at it. Soon as I pulled the carpet back enough to see it, you could tell the foam insulation under where the carpet was is soaked. I then ran the AC for a little bit and sure enough, water started leaking from the drain hose where it connects to the body of the car and started leaking down the footwell into the insulation. I can only guess it is making it way to the rear of the car and then pooling as it has no where else to go. Iím glad I found this thread as it looks like not very many people have this problem. I also found this site that describes the problem, but doesnít really say much else about it except that itís a problem:

https://www.my-gti.com/4766/volkswag...-and-seat-leon

Also, here is a video of how to get to the hose:

https://youtu.be/lOsHEDEozZw

Now I just got to see how to actually replace it and hopefully this will be fixed. Hope this eventually helps someone else if they have this annoying issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk