Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: My life and my car :By gettajetta13

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2002 Passat GLX Wagon (2.8L V6 "ATQ")
      12-11-2018 03:45 PM #76
      Thanks for the update. Congratulations on your upcoming Christmas wedding! I look forward to the pictures.

2. Remove Advertisements
      VWVortex.com
      Advertisements
    3. Member
      Vehicles
      12-12-2018 10:26 AM #77
      Congrats on your new job with Blue Origin! I am a "rocket scientist" with NASA here in Cleveland. The work and accomplishments of the commercial companies such as SpaceX and Blue Origin are amazing and inspiring. Good luck with New Glenn! Enjoy your Amazon discount!

Vehicles
      86 Jetta, 96 Jetta, 97 Jetta, 01 vr6, 1.8t b5, v6 b5 passat current, mk2 carrat current
      12-12-2018 04:23 PM #78
      Quote Originally Posted by thscott View Post
      Congrats on your new job with Blue Origin! I am a "rocket scientist" with NASA here in Cleveland. The work and accomplishments of the commercial companies such as SpaceX and Blue Origin are amazing and inspiring. Good luck with New Glenn! Enjoy your Amazon discount!
      Thanks man! I really enjoy it here. The industry is like nothing else. I haven't even scratched the surface but i'll have to google what goes on in your Cleveland branch. I'll PM you to get your address and send you some cool little "blue origin / remove before flight" tags.

Vehicles
      86 Jetta, 96 Jetta, 97 Jetta, 01 vr6, 1.8t b5, v6 b5 passat current, mk2 carrat current
      12-16-2018 08:50 PM #79
      Fresh fluids at 150,404 miles on Dec 15th 2018.

custom lil 337gram shift weight. far heavier than that expensive BFI bs. Not pictured but I refreshed the shift box and changed the geometry of the throw for a slightly reduced length during shifts. I'd estimate a 25% reduction. Nothing crazy but its solid and tight.

New interior light harness rigged up when i did the headliner and interior. LEDs at each door really brighten it up. Think I'll be doing nice puddle lights, fogs, and rear hatch lights here soon.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      01 Passat 4MO Wagon, 6sp manual and 1.8T swap. 05 Golf 2.0
      12-21-2018 06:37 PM #80
      I wish I had the energy to do all of that work on my car. The trans a motor swap was enough to put me off working on it for quite while.

Vehicles
      12-22-2018 09:01 AM #81
      PZ. I know how that can be... stick with it and hopefully it will pay off for for ya

8. Member
      Vehicles
      12-22-2018 05:23 PM #82
      I am past it now, but I am also selling the car in a few months. We had issues on our October road trip to Utah. I had replaced the prop-shaft center bearing, but the U-joint failed and caused a constant vibration. Pulling out of a gas station, I hit the gas hard and thought the driveshaft was falling out. I could not drive the car on the washboard dirt/gravel roads as the stiff RS6 rear sway bar made the car handle like it was in ice, constantly sliding. I also had a CEL for the cat. Since my commute to work was short, it had not come on but now comes on after about 10-15 miles. I have a ton of performance parts to install now that I am retired, but my wife no longer trusts the car and we will be buying a new Tiguan as we expect to take more road trips now. If I was still working, I would keep the car for my commuting, but now it would just sit in the driveway. The Tiguan is nearly the same size as the Passat, but it has much more room inside and gets better mpg.

Vehicles
      01-03-2019 01:21 PM #83
      Quote Originally Posted by PZ View Post
      I am past it now, but I am also selling the car in a few months. We had issues on our October road trip to Utah. I had replaced the prop-shaft center bearing, but the U-joint failed and caused a constant vibration. Pulling out of a gas station, I hit the gas hard and thought the driveshaft was falling out. I could not drive the car on the washboard dirt/gravel roads as the stiff RS6 rear sway bar made the car handle like it was in ice, constantly sliding. I also had a CEL for the cat. Since my commute to work was short, it had not come on but now comes on after about 10-15 miles. I have a ton of performance parts to install now that I am retired, but my wife no longer trusts the car and we will be buying a new Tiguan as we expect to take more road trips now. If I was still working, I would keep the car for my commuting, but now it would just sit in the driveway. The Tiguan is nearly the same size as the Passat, but it has much more room inside and gets better mpg.
      Man that's a bummer but I completely understand where you come from. I'm a bit tired of playing with the car myself. Wife has prompted me to keep the mk2 as the toy and mature my daily car. I too am thinking of the Tiguan or the new Alltrack. I may have to pick you brain about the Tiguan in a few weeks.

Updates though...we have a Mrs.Gettajetta13 !

Shes 5' 4" , 110lbs of fury and emotion, and am amazing set of teeth haha. And yes we hired an artist to create cardboard cutouts of our dogs so they could be at the destination wedding.

My brother and his girl also cemented our immortality in this Simpsons rendering of us, our dogs, and of course the 5th family member..the Passat.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      01-03-2019 07:31 PM #84
      Congrats and best wishes.

It's only in the last 5 years that I really started to tire of working on cars. It started with injuries, then the engine and trans swap really put me off. The fact that my car is also my daily made it that much more difficult to do what I wanted to with the car. Now that I have the time, I don't have the need for the car. As much as I like it, It's hard to justify putting more work and money into it and then not use it more than once a week.

11. Member
      01-21-2019 11:48 PM #85
      Congrats on the wedding man!! I just read this thread front to back; followed over here from the mk2 thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      03-04-2019 12:55 PM #86
      Hey guys....

Some bitter sweet to post...

SWEET: First of all, for those that have followed the personal aspects on this blog, here's a link to a lil wedding video I filmed on my phone and edited in iMovie. Cinematography is meh but we are happy we have it to reflect back on. Hope any of you enjoy it!
      http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-tJhfX36HM

BITTER Now for some sad news.. I made it official last weekend and have started tearing down the Passat. It was a fun build, I learned a lot, and hopefully left some good info and inspiration behind with this one. I'm still in love with the car and its a tad painful to tear her down but it is what it is. She's getting fully dis-assembled and part out threads will be popping up here shortly on the classifieds. If any one has particular interest in anything you've seen on the car you're welcome to PM me ahead of time. This things gotten me through my mid 20's and took my pup everywhere in it, been through some girlfriends, made some house moves, and has seen me off into our first home purchase and of course into married life. She was loved.

SWEET: But, I can't go out just like that can I?!! Nope. The ol' blue will get me a good jump on the next build!! Thinking this time around I need 4 wheels spinning! That being said, 3 weeks ago i brought home a 2002 4mo ATQ GLX that I'm starting a relationship with. Not sure what my plans are with this thing other than to speed up the process and build it all by the end of summer 2019. I've got lots of parts coming in and some good work in progress. Once I hit the 1 month mark and have notable work done I'll post an update.

So lets get some feed back!!
      -do I start a new build log or just keep this one going?
      -what about aesthetics and mods for this thing? who wants to see what?

13. Member
      Vehicles
      03-04-2019 06:28 PM #87
      Wish you were closer, I would take that complete beige interior from you.

As for the new one, 6sp manual swap. It really wakes up the V6 as you already know and it's quite rare. The Tip/V6/4Mo combo just feels dead off the line. The pedal, hydraulics and clutch can all be swapped over. You can also keep all of the control arms (they changed in 03). Everything on the engine should swap over, I think the PVC was updated either in 02 or 03.

For coils, PSS9 and KW V2 or V3 are great. For handling, you want rear springs 40-50% stiffer than the fronts. A6 rear suspension parts fit, I am running H+R Race springs from an A6Q on Koni shocks with coilover sleeves for a custom 1.5" drop. If you want to go lower, you need coilovers to clear the rear axle.

I did the 6sp swap on mine, but I ended up doing a 1.8T swap as well (long story). It's actually quicker 0-60 with the stock 150hp AUG 1.8T than it was with the V6/Tip combo. After 60, the V6 is better, it's also much smoother. Not sure if I will keep mine, but if I do, I have a built 2.0T block sitting in the garage with a Frankenturbo, high flow cat and new TT cat back exhaust.
      https://www.passatworld.com/forums/v...gine-swap.html

Vehicles
      03-05-2019 11:04 AM #88
      #1 Wish you were closer, I would take that complete beige interior from you.

#2 As for the new one, 6sp manual swap. It really wakes up the V6 as you already know and it's quite rare. The Tip/V6/4Mo combo just feels dead off the line. The pedal, hydraulics and clutch can all be swapped over. You can also keep all of the control arms (they changed in 03). Everything on the engine should swap over, I think the PVC was updated either in 02 or 03.

#3For coils, PSS9 and KW V2 or V3 are great. For handling, you want rear springs 40-50% stiffer than the fronts. A6 rear suspension parts fit, I am running H+R Race springs from an A6Q on Koni shocks with coilover sleeves for a custom 1.5" drop. If you want to go lower, you need coilovers to clear the rear axle.

#4I did the 6sp swap on mine, but I ended up doing a 1.8T swap as well (long story). It's actually quicker 0-60 with the stock 150hp AUG 1.8T than it was with the V6/Tip combo. After 60, the V6 is better, it's also much smoother. Not sure if I will keep mine, but if I do, I have a built 2.0T block sitting in the garage with a Frankenturbo, high flow cat and new TT cat back exhaust.
      https://www.passatworld.com/forums/v...gine-swap.html
      ooo..you've got some good info. I'm going to check out your PW link towards the end of the day after work.

#1. I'll be stripping the car to bare bones and will hold onto the interior for a bit should you find the resources to acquire it haha. I'd rather not see it rot in a yard. Even if it means I hold onto it for a bit and let someone else revive their car with it.

#2. Could you share some basics on the 6spd manual (I'll read through your PW link later today) do you source pedal from the b5/5.5 or do you pull those from the same 6spd doner car. I'd love to keep the 4mo and turn it to manual. Would all this just be sourced from an A6? I just refreshed the transmission,front/rear diffs so I'l at least let those ride for the next year while i source parts.

-Semi familiar with the PCV change. I plan to refresh that all in a similar fashion that the blue Passat got. Replace stock hose with 3/4" heater line. Thinking most of my new check valves etc. should transfer right over. I have yet to address the PCV since I'm tackling a climatronic --> manual dial/heatercore swap at the moment.

-did control arms really change in the b5/5.5 passat or was that just in reference to making a manual 6spd swap? I was under the impression that all b5/b5.5 manual/auto/fwd/4mo front suspension components were the same.

#3. I have a loose plan for suspension. I have brand new upper/lower control arms + end links I just put on the blue Passat. I intend to swap those over to the new wagon. As for suspension, I was thinking of sourcing c5 a6 rear air struts and going Airlift + V2 management. Thoughts on that? Should be a pretty painless install but I am new to the 4mo rear suspension. Heard I may need to make alterations to get the car sitting right with air ride struts. I'm going to start runnning the wire harness and airline next weekend hopefully. I've already go the ecu box prepped to let the harness for the manifold pass through as well as an AFR gauge harness. trying to be methodical here and hit things systematically.

#4. I think ultimately I will keep the v6 in the car. Planning on having Ian at Reflect do the TCM mod (havent even asked what it entails yet), and just supercharging the V6. I promised the wife this wouldnt turn into some 4yr long build lol.. I know the V6 has it whoas but the last one treated me well. It is very smooth and I hope to be hauling a small trailer this summer and would appreciate the V6 torq. None the less...a manual swap would be super ideal.
      Last edited by gettajetta13; 03-05-2019 at 11:08 AM.

15. Member
      Vehicles
      03-05-2019 02:44 PM #89
      Gettajetta, please refresh my memory on why you've decided to part out your Blue Passat? Did something major fail on it?

I look forward to watching your wedding video.

Good luck with he new project! Still at Blue Origin, I assume?

16. Member
      Vehicles
      03-05-2019 03:10 PM #90
      Quote Originally Posted by gettajetta13 View Post
      ooo..you've got some good info. I'm going to check out your PW link towards the end of the day after work.

#1. I'll be stripping the car to bare bones and will hold onto the interior for a bit should you find the resources to acquire it haha. I'd rather not see it rot in a yard. Even if it means I hold onto it for a bit and let someone else revive their car with it.

#2. Could you share some basics on the 6spd manual (I'll read through your PW link later today) do you source pedal from the b5/5.5 or do you pull those from the same 6spd doner car. I'd love to keep the 4mo and turn it to manual. Would all this just be sourced from an A6? I just refreshed the transmission,front/rear diffs so I'l at least let those ride for the next year while i source parts.

-Semi familiar with the PCV change. I plan to refresh that all in a similar fashion that the blue Passat got. Replace stock hose with 3/4" heater line. Thinking most of my new check valves etc. should transfer right over. I have yet to address the PCV since I'm tackling a climatronic --> manual dial/heatercore swap at the moment.

-did control arms really change in the b5/5.5 passat or was that just in reference to making a manual 6spd swap? I was under the impression that all b5/b5.5 manual/auto/fwd/4mo front suspension components were the same.

#3. I have a loose plan for suspension. I have brand new upper/lower control arms + end links I just put on the blue Passat. I intend to swap those over to the new wagon. As for suspension, I was thinking of sourcing c5 a6 rear air struts and going Airlift + V2 management. Thoughts on that? Should be a pretty painless install but I am new to the 4mo rear suspension. Heard I may need to make alterations to get the car sitting right with air ride struts. I'm going to start runnning the wire harness and airline next weekend hopefully. I've already go the ecu box prepped to let the harness for the manifold pass through as well as an AFR gauge harness. trying to be methodical here and hit things systematically.

#4. I think ultimately I will keep the v6 in the car. Planning on having Ian at Reflect do the TCM mod (havent even asked what it entails yet), and just supercharging the V6. I promised the wife this wouldnt turn into some 4yr long build lol.. I know the V6 has it whoas but the last one treated me well. It is very smooth and I hope to be hauling a small trailer this summer and would appreciate the V6 torq. None the less...a manual swap would be super ideal.
      1: It would cost more to ship the interior than I could source locally at the junkyard.

2: You can use your pedals, lines and clutch from the blue wagon, I got my pedals from an C5 A6 online. I got the 6sp from a local B5 S4. I bought the driveshaft spacer online, it's for a C5 A6 or Allroad. I bought all new lines and master/slave cylinders as I did not want to swap 14 year old hydraulics into my car.

3: The lower control arms changed on the Passats in 2003, I think the size of the ball joint stud and an insert into the hub carrier. When you look for parts online, it will state a vin# that designates the mid-year split. No need to change them or the hub carrier. C5 A6 rear air struts should work, but I have never installed bags. You can also run lines through the fender well into the dash. On the B5, there are 2 grommets in the driver's side, behind the wheel well.

4: Yes, keeping the V6 makes things much easier, the s/c is a bonus but it makes power at higher rpm and that works well with the 6sp. I had 1 S/C 4Mo that I used to work on, the trans fried within 2 weeks and the owner bought a brand new trans from VW (he had money from an inheritance).

I had my V6 for about 10 years before the swap. My sons each have a V6 Passat, one has a 2000 FWD Tip wagon, the other has a 2001.5 FWD manual sedan. The benefit of the 1.8T is 3mpg on the highway, tuning and lighter weight (not as much as you would think). The V6 is so much smoother on the road and it's nice to have that instant torque.

Vehicles
      03-06-2019 12:40 AM #91
      Quote Originally Posted by thscott View Post
      Gettajetta, please refresh my memory on why you've decided to part out your Blue Passat? Did something major fail on it?

I look forward to watching your wedding video.

Good luck with he new project! Still at Blue Origin, I assume?

Still at Blue Origin and loving it. I am networking a lot with some great people and hope I get to make some positive moves here once I get a little more grounded.

I decided to tear down the blue Passat for a conglomerate of reasons, the main being I started to develop low compression in cylinders 4,5,6 two days after installing the rebuilt supercharger and simply put..it was disappointing. I took several actions to diagnose and even went as far as taking it to my trusted shop of 15years+ to confirm my diagnosis. I battled the idea for a month before deciding. Weighing options of motor swaps etc, the best most cost effective and time saving I decided would be to get a doner car...and do the whole thing over again. This paired with not being in love with the new paint scheme, more of a want for AWD, and in general just something new made it final. The good news is I m well on my way and keeping things simpler this time around!

Mean while the trusty MK2 is an awesome daily . The blower motor was making noise so I decided to replace it, which lead to ordering blower motor resistor, annd heater core...and then 2hrs later I was rebuilding the hvac flaps and deleting the A.C. components

Vehicles
      03-06-2019 12:47 AM #92
      1: It would cost more to ship the interior than I could source locally at the junkyard.

2: You can use your pedals, lines and clutch from the blue wagon, I got my pedals from an C5 A6 online. I got the 6sp from a local B5 S4. I bought the driveshaft spacer online, it's for a C5 A6 or Allroad. I bought all new lines and master/slave cylinders as I did not want to swap 14 year old hydraulics into my car.

3: The lower control arms changed on the Passats in 2003, I think the size of the ball joint stud and an insert into the hub carrier. When you look for parts online, it will state a vin# that designates the mid-year split. No need to change them or the hub carrier. C5 A6 rear air struts should work, but I have never installed bags. You can also run lines through the fender well into the dash. On the B5, there are 2 grommets in the driver's side, behind the wheel well.

4: Yes, keeping the V6 makes things much easier, the s/c is a bonus but it makes power at higher rpm and that works well with the 6sp. I had 1 S/C 4Mo that I used to work on, the trans fried within 2 weeks and the owner bought a brand new trans from VW (he had money from an inheritance).

I had my V6 for about 10 years before the swap. My sons each have a V6 Passat, one has a 2000 FWD Tip wagon, the other has a 2001.5 FWD manual sedan. The benefit of the 1.8T is 3mpg on the highway, tuning and lighter weight (not as much as you would think). The V6 is so much smoother on the road and it's nice to have that instant torque.
      You basically have me sold on this swap idea. Since I have time on my hands I'm going to casually watch the a6 market for this pieces and look at that spacer. As luck would have it, I happen to have one of our areas most renown german automotive transmission builder 10 minutes from my house. Even cooler is he's this ol' guy who just works it all from his home in a basica garage. I may be pinging you in the near future with some questions but I'll try not to get too ahead of myself. Still need to cross off plenty of basics.

19. Member
      Vehicles
      03-06-2019 07:14 PM #93
      You would need to confirm your rear differential is a 4:11, I think the letter code is CUB.
      The C5 A6 used the 4.11 rear differential with the 6sp manual, the Allroad had a 4.56 or something, so avoid them.. They were probably beat on less than the S4 6sp, but watch out for 1-2 shift issues as they had problems with shift collars. The S4 rear differentials do not fit.

20. Member
      03-06-2019 11:13 PM #94
      To answer the question further up in the thread, I say you continue to journey here rather than start a new thread!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      03-11-2019 12:55 PM #95
      Ok Boys (don’t think any girls follow this)…

This is the first post kicking off the new build. I think it’s most appropriate to keep this blog going since ya’ll know me from this thread. So here we go.
      Today is March 11, 2019. I just made the first car payment on the newly acquired 2002 VW Passat. It’s a V6 (atq) 4motion with 140k on the clock. Earlier this year my pup tore her ACL and I’ve needed to make sure I’m in a position to financially support any vet bills, hence getting this car on a lil $2500 autoloan through my bank. I’ll make aggressive payments but just having the car on a loan gives me a lot of flexibility in case of emergencies with the pup.
      As for the pup… Friday is 9 this year, going on 10. She ran after a squirrel and came back limping super bad. It didn’t go away after 2 days so we went in for $800 X-rays. Turns out she either has a moderate to complete ACL tear which is really sad. You bear a lot of guilt as her human which immediately led me to searching out the best surgeons. But, after some late night reading I found Tiggerpoz.c om that has some really amazing info on it. It’s a great hub for anyone going through what my pup and I are. Right now we are in week 6 of limited movement, daily CBD treatment (zero pain pills cause they mask the pain and let her think she is better off than she is). We have 3 more weeks of limited movement then we start swimming her. If she hasn’t started making notable progress by then, THEN surgery is the next avenue. We are basically treating her as if she had the surgery and she’s in post-op. This gives her body time to develop scar tissue that will ultimately hold her joint in place for the rest of her life and is the basic goal of surgeries. Most surgeries add a superficial ligament that either breaks after a few months or actually disappears. The superficial ligament isn’t like something humans would have as permanent. This ACL (TPLO) surgery is only to hold her joints in place so they can build the same scar tissue as we are building without going through surgery. I’ll keep her progress updated. She is very happy and making slight progress but patience is key. Sorry for the rant but wanted to share this info in case any of you ever find yourself in this position.

Back to car stuff! 2002 v6 4mo. I’m REALLY trying not to let this car consume me so I’m starting with some basics and fixing any components that need the help before we start driving.
      First up, fluid changes!

Dropped the oil pan to check the oil pickup screen and clean it. Cleaned out the pan, resealed, new oil filter and oil.

Moved back to the transmission. Dropped the pan down, clean it out and rinsed of the magnets, replaced the trans fluild filter, then reinstalled with a new gasket. Topped off new fluids.

After that I moved onto the front diff. Drained the fluid and topped it off with the same Redline MT90. Also took a second to replace the rusty exhaust bolts while I was there.

After that I hit the rear diff and drained. Also filled it back up with Redline MT90.

Finished off the fluid check with brake and steering fluids. Coolant was nice and pink so that was left alone.

Then I started addressing all the random goodness like battery drains and cleaning.

Dropped in a new battery

Replaced the super worn out neg cable clamp.

Added the shortened A6 top strut bar.

Peeled off the cracked lower window tray and replaced it.

Last thing for that area, I replaced the cabin filter with new.

Also replaced the main intake filter.

For something a bit more visually appealing.. I pulled those ugly B5.5 taillights and created some brackets.

Did some wire reconfiguring..

And ended up mounting a pair of de-ambered b5 taillights that are way better looking IMO.

I like all the stock lighting so I’m keeping things simple. The fronts were a bit faded..

So they got buffed out..

Now that I got the warm-up round out of the way it was time for more aggravating tasks. Like pulling the heatercore! The climatronic was a bit dead and blowing cold air. First I pulled the glove box and removed the blend flapper servo, tried moving the flap manually but even change in flap didn’t yield any heat. Then I started researching all the BS there is with the Climatronic unit, head unit failure, the needs to re calibrate, and then to top it off I removed the heater core inlet hose to find this joy…

So you know me…

Made my own keys to remove the stereo..

Decided to rob my last build since I the manual dial box had about 20k miles on it since I rebuilt it all. So basically like doing two heater core jobs at once. So fun…

So at the end of the day I kept the manual dial hvac box harness, blower motor, and was able to get it all in to replace my b5.5 Climatronic unit. I know someone had asked about that swap like a month ago and well…guess it’s not too bad, and is possible.

This time around it was kind of a bit#h to bleed the system. I had to rev at 3k RPM for 2 x 5 min cycles to get all the burps out. I used the small breather hole on the heatercore line and it pissed all over the engine which will be fun to clean up. The system simply didn’t want to burp by raising the coolant res above the core. Hmm….
      While the dash is out I cleaned up a lot of wiring, added the lower dash cup holder, and fitted the cleaner b5 ashtray into the b5.5 console. Last bit of detail was the gauge cluster. For some reason the shield was fractured by the previous owner so I simply removed it and added some trim around the exterior. Thinking I will see how this goes for a bit.

Now we are catchin up to this last weekend. I started really tearing down the old car…R.I.P.

I started robbing the air ride which lead to me gutting the whole car since I had tucked all the wires in the cabin.

I dropped the front air ride out of the blue Passat which also had my brand new upper control arms on. I bought a kit of lower control arms and end links to refresh the arm kit when installed on the 4mo.

Now I would have pulled my fresh inner/outer tie rods from the blue car but my modified harbor freight inner tie-rod puller was not up to the task. And especially since the 4mo tie rods are REALLY frozen in place… I’m going to outsource that job to Autosport Imports. Some things just aren’t worth killing yourself over. Considering I’ve done the heatercore (2 really) + the mk2 heatercore last month…thinking I deserve to give myself a tiny break.
      Oh ya…added 10hp with new plate frames too.

On the plus side. The brakes and rotors are pretty dang new and judging by the new bolt on the axle I’d say its pretty new as well.

So now the garage is completely a wreck and I have a torn apart B5. Who needs a full tan interior? Black headliner with sunroof???

Thanks for the follows and input guys! Next few weeks will be a focus on the remaining tear down of the blue Passat and sending her off. After that I should be set to make some more moves and acquire more parts.

Up next:

Complete rain drain cleaning
      PCV system refresh
      Timing and CCT
      Finish air ride install
      Figure out what the hell I’m doing with the interior
      and figure out something with the rear hatch..not a fan of the b5.5 rear latch/lock system.

22. Member
      Vehicles
      03-11-2019 03:43 PM #96
      Wow! You've been quite busy! Good work and thanks for all the great photos and progress reports on both Passats. I hope your dog recovers quickly and fully. I too have a 2002 Passat wagon with the ATQ V6 engine. Mine is not AWD. Just like you discovered on your new Passat, I too have a cracked heater core tube. On mine, it's the other tube that is cracked (the inlet to the heater core). I applaud you for tearing two dashes apart to replace 2 heater cores. I may do that on mine this summer. I like the technique I've seen of removing the entire dash rather than disassembling the dash like you did (twice!). I've been thinking about your blue Passat parts. I wish you had the black interior. I need a new black leather driver's seat or a new leather upholstery for it. The only part I might be interested in is your black retractable cargo cover, but you may want to keep that for your new wagon. Looks like your new Passat has a cracked wood grain shift knob. I have several used spares if you need one (pulled from salvage yard Passats), but not sure if AWD knob is different than my FWD shifter knob.

Keep up the good work!
      Last edited by thscott; 03-11-2019 at 03:47 PM.

23. Member
      Vehicles
      03-11-2019 05:28 PM #97
      What was that, a week for all of that work?

There are 3 differentials, you did the center and rear. The front has no drain, but it can be removed with an oil extractor.

I had the same mess of a garage as I pulled the entire dash harness from the donor and put it into mine when I did the manual swap. I like having it look like OEM wiring and I also did the heater core while the dash was out. Luckily, I had a GLS with the manual controls already. I've also changed out a heater core on another Passat by pulling the dash out as one piece and it is much faster. The shift handles are interchangeable.

Vehicles
      03-12-2019 11:56 PM #98
      What was that, a week for all of that work?

There are 3 differentials, you did the center and rear. The front has no drain, but it can be removed with an oil extractor.

I had the same mess of a garage as I pulled the entire dash harness from the donor and put it into mine when I did the manual swap. I like having it look like OEM wiring and I also did the heater core while the dash was out. Luckily, I had a GLS with the manual controls already. I've also changed out a heater core on another Passat by pulling the dash out as one piece and it is much faster. The shift handles are interchangeable.
      what..another diff?? oh boy.. ok I'll need to read and get more MT90. damn it! I take it my syphon will function just fine as an extractor. It has pretty good push/pull. Where is this fill/drain hole located at? or are you just sending me on a wild "front diff" chase . Reminds me of those youtube videos, parents sending their kids into an auto store with money and tell em to purchase blinker fluid haha.

And yeah..that was about a week of work spread out. I've been distracted while I work lately. Usually I work alone so I can plan things in my head and just execute while I'm working on another thing. But, lately I've had a mk2 buddy over when I wrench which isn't typical. He's a transplant from Colorado and noticed my mk2 one day when I was in for parts at the auto store. He noticed me in there several times a week and he's a pretty good dude so I offer my driveway for him to use till he gets grounded here.

I'm glad I'm not the only one feeling the manual dials are superior to the climatronic. It just made sense to eliminate some potential headache and just do the swap. I should have things buttoned up this week. This evening I ran air ride harness and AFR wiring through the fire wall so its not such a pain with the dash on. I'll drop another update here at the end of the week. Do you have any build threads going?

25. Member
      Vehicles
      03-14-2019 11:15 AM #99
      On the Tip trans, the front Diff takes gear oil. The fill plug is just in front of the Passenger side axle flange. I did the original DIY on PassatWorld, but pics died with PB. I've did not bother changing it on my wagon, but I did top it off after replacing the flange seal. With the 6sp manual, the front and center share the gear oil with the trans.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234