Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 84 GTI - Track Build

Vehicles
      95 525i, 97 Jetta TD, 84 GTI
      12-09-2015 12:28 AM #1
      Howdy!

Bought an '81 1.6D almost 3 years ago, did a minimal/strip out build for commuting to school, but needed something newer with, erm, more of an interior for the work commute.

I regretted getting rid of the 81 about 2 weeks later... and so I picked up an 84 GTI rolling shell for a track car build, and a week later stopped my dad from sending his mk4 2.0 daily to the crusher on condition that I sell his stock wheels for him. I'll take a free donor car any day of the week.

Quick build details:
      - fix floors, rollcage, paint, polycarbonate windows
      - AEG 2.0 8v w/full wiring transfer
      - choose between 020/02J trans (depends on how lazy I am)
      - 4-2-1 catless header, Eurosport cat-back (leftover from my 1.6D build)
      - suspension/aero work still not confirmed

Lots to come... chassis is stored for the winter, so most of the work will be on the engine and other part refurb.

Donor engine...
      Last edited by phatvw1; 12-09-2015 at 12:54 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 12-09-2015 01:00 AM #2
      Nice! Just bear in mind 02J is way heavier than 020. What are your power goals? If running stock engine 020 should be fine, otherwise 02A would be good compromise between weight and durability.

Vehicles
      12-09-2015 07:37 AM #3
      No real power targets, just something that is stock and has more power than an original GTI. I have a couple of 020 trans and linkages floating around the garage along with the 02J, so I'll be doing my race engineering math over the winter and making decisions.

Sent via town messenger.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      10-26-2016 09:12 PM #4
      Bringing this back to life. I've been busy (almost 12 weeks of travel for work, weddings, buying a daily driver R53 needing a bit of work) which forced me to keep the GTI in storage. I have been working at home in the meantime resealing the AEG, and cutting down the wiring harness, so I'm only a few hours away from a 'plug-in' engine aside from fuelling and battery location. I've decided to keep the 020 and do my own version of the USRT shift linkage kit.

What has allowed this to progress (and will do so rapidly over the next 5-6 weeks) is that my boss is a petrolhead and has allowed me (and a co-worker to work on our respective track cars) at the half-empty warehouse until it's time for storage. My focus will be bodywork, weight removal, polycarb windows and chassis reinforcement (stitch welding). I will likely have to remove several layers of paint (burnt metallic orange is not what I have in mind when I think racecar) and patch the floor.

More to come this weekend when I tow the car to the shop.

Vehicles
      11-02-2016 12:07 AM #5
      Here it goes...

I pulled it out of storage on Sunday after getting the go-ahead from my boss to use some space in the unused warehouse, estimating 5 weeks to get the body in order and maybe even finished mechanically. The sooner the better as it looks like I have a few business trips coming up. The goal is a dedicated track car (can't plate it...) that I can build on and keep running on an acceptable budget.

1st assessment (after forgetting a lot of the finer details with it sitting in storage for nearly a year):
      - Overall solid chassis
      - rollcage needs to come out... scares me that someone even considered it to be OK
      - windshield needs to be removed
      - floors need a redo
      - engine bay already stripped and seam-welded
      - a few spots have filler (around windshield and roof)
      - I hate the colour

Day 1 -
      In the shop:

Interior (:

Rear floor:

Engine bay:

Day 2
      Headed to the shop after work to wipe it down and continue assessing the chassis. Windshield being removed to evaluate the surrounding frame. Some rust, but nothing major that will set me back too much.

Some rust out back, but I make some mods so that I don't replace the panel, but rather trim to provide clearance for something.

Hatch surround... solid.

Day 3:
      Assembled some tools from home and went to town. First order of business, remove that awful/unsafe rollcage. This is a lesson on how not build a cage... even for your worst enemy. I shudder every time I look a the pics.

Good riddance... off to the scrap heap.

While digging around I found a glob of filler on the underside of the roof, so I started grinding. Ploughed through 1/8" of filler and found... a dodgy repair. I'll weld a patch, but I might also incorporate the fix in while plugging up the hole for the sunroof.

Found more under the 'missing' wiper pivot hole. This just looks like a quick and dirty wiper delete. I might bring it back into service or modify the wiper linkage to go mono-wiper.

Attacked the windshield surround with a wirewheel - easily fixable with some welding.

Up next:
      - Treat, prime engine bay
      - Strip roof (paint)
      - Sand, prime exterior below the rain gutter (still undecided about colour scheme, might do body in white to start)
      - Plan floor replacement

Vehicles
      '77 Rabbit 16v, 94 Golf GL, 98 Audi A4 Avant, 07 Audi A3
      11-05-2016 08:42 PM #6
      Looks like a decent start, gonna be a lot of hours into that rust repair though!

Good call removing that cage, I was getting ready to tell you that thing would never pass a tech inspection haha!

Vehicles
      11-05-2016 09:24 PM #7
      Trust me, I'm OCD on tech inspections. As an engineer and formerly responsible for TIG welding a FSAE chassis (and the last guy that checked the car before tech) that 'cage' gave me nightmares.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      05-16-2019 02:27 AM #8
      I just realized I haven't posted an update in over 2.5 years. We got really busy at work with a takeover and I was involved in several projects all over North America and Europe. Needless to say, our boss had to break his lease on the unit where my co-worker and I were building our track cars (his being an EK Civic w/Type-R K20 swap... 213whp, 2200lb w/driver). The project has been in storage since September 2017, but I'm hoping to drag it out by the end of this month and finish it off. Somewhere along the way, I also bought a new mk7 Golf for daily driver duties.

Clearly, I missed the changes in Photobucket's money and will be rescuing most of my albums and finding a more permanent solution to my photo storage.
      - 6-pt cage and seat mount bars welded in (NOTE: I am planning on an additional, gusseted, A-pillar support on the cage. And the main hoop is that far back to give room for my 6'5" butt and floor-mounted pedals )
      - Engine/Drivetrain installed
      - Full roller

Lots of other cool stuff is coming, including lexan, CF & FRP, welding, machining, etc.

The last photo taken:
      Last edited by phatvw1; 05-16-2019 at 02:46 AM.

Vehicles
      1981 VW Rabbit
      05-16-2019 08:22 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by phatvw1 View Post
      I just realized I haven't posted an update in over 2.5 years. We got really busy at work with a takeover and I was involved in several projects all over North America and Europe. Needless to say, our boss had to break his lease on the unit where my co-worker and I were building our track cars (his being an EK Civic w/Type-R K20 swap... 213whp, 2200lb w/driver). The project has been in storage since September 2017, but I'm hoping to drag it out by the end of this month and finish it off.

Clearly, I missed the changes in Photobucket's money and will be rescuing most of my albums and finding a more permanent solution to my photo storage.
      2019 seems to be the year most of the mk1s are coming out of retirement/storage, I feel for you concerning photobucket, the same happened to me with Imageshack, lost most of my original build pictures.