VWVortex.com - Golf 7 2013 discover pro retrofit with CARPLAY!
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Golf 7 2013 discover pro retrofit with CARPLAY!

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2015 GTI SE 4-Door
      05-19-2017 02:09 PM #276
      Quote Originally Posted by LudoMonster View Post
      Just wanted to outline another successful install on a 2015 NA GTI.

Stock was Fender MIB1 with NO navigation but I did have CarNet. Upgraded to an 8 inch screen, MIB2 and USB socket and kept the existing MIB1 amp. All hardware was ordered from APG in Poland, they were easy to work with and everything arrived in the US within less than 2 weeks after order.

Hardware install went smoothly, thanks to the guidance from paul_elstak's original post and the follow up posts from JWadle and dubpar. Also appreciate dubpar helping me validate a few install items via PM. All and all these posts and the advice received were spot on for installation. This is coming from someone who was very nervous about digging into their dashboard and with little experience with installs like this (I only did one similar before swapping an RCD 510 for and RNS 315 on a MKVI).

I just took my time and validated each step before executing and didn't rush. The most difficult (and nervous) part of the whole hardware install for me was getting the trim around the display unit off. Some of those clips are persistent. Other than that, it was really straightforward. Even the cable fishing for the USB wasn't too bad, a good flashlight and sighting where it was supposed to go helped a lot for me, plus I think I got lucky.

That said, on the software side, I did have one issue where initially everything seemed to be working on the display, but I had no sound... APG was very good about working with me on troubleshooting using VCDS scans and it only took a day to get it sorted just because of the time difference and our mutual availability. They offered to Skype or direct message with me to troubleshoot, but scan reviews solved the problem. Ultimately, it turned out to be a single byte change that was required and the sound kicked in. Of note, the tone controls now indicate Dynaudio now but seems to have the same features as the original Fender tone controls and it sounds good.

I also had an issue with the USB port initially and my iPhone. It would charge my phone, but not recognize the iPhone as a device. Turned out to be the USB to Lightning cable. When they say use an Apple cable, they really mean an Apple cable, Apple Certified did not work for me.

One last note, I did have CarNet as part of the stock setup, there was some debate on whether I needed a GPS antenna or not as CarNet has GPS for tracking even if you don't have a Nav system. I had an antenna ready, but when I pulled the MIB1 there was an antenna plugged into the back and it reached the plug in the new unit fine so I decided to try it out and it worked. So I was able to use the already installed GPS antenna even though I didn't have Nav originally in the car.

Hope this helps anyone contemplating the upgrade. Similar to other posters, I was in it for a touch over $2k and its well worth it to me. The new CarPlay and latent Nav features are fantastic, and the interface has cleaner resolution and is snappier to respond and everything is OEM and works like it should. I was looking for certified used options when we picked up this car as I wanted a 2 door before they vanished in the US, but we wanted CarPlay and Nav. Finding a 2016 2 door with the features we wanted was impossible. The price difference of going 2015 with low miles helped justify the upgrade to what is essentially 2016 specs+ (due to 8 inch screen) for the audio system.
      That's exactly what my current setup is and exactly what I'd love to have instead. $2k is a bit steep. Were you able to resell any of your old stuff? Where are you located?

2. Remove Advertisements
      VWVortex.com
      Advertisements
    3. 05-19-2017 05:52 PM #277
      I just did it this week, so haven't tried to sell anything. Will probably keep the old stuff for a few months to make sure everything is solid. I think its going to be a tough sell with component protection issues and now with MIB2 and the larger screens available.

Quote Originally Posted by Universal_Remonster View Post
      That's exactly what my current setup is and exactly what I'd love to have instead. $2k is a bit steep. Were you able to resell any of your old stuff? Where are you located?
      Last edited by LudoMonster; 05-19-2017 at 07:44 PM.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2015 GTI SE 4-Door
      05-21-2017 10:16 AM #278
      I just did it this week, so haven't tried to sell anything. Will probably keep the old stuff for a few months to make sure everything is solid. I think its going to be a tough sell with component protection issues and now with MIB2 and the larger screens available.
      If you were closer to the Midwest I'd try to recruit you for help. Would love CarPlay but not sure if the cost is worth it to me.

05-21-2017 10:25 AM #279
      If you were closer to the Midwest I'd try to recruit you for help. Would love CarPlay but not sure if the cost is worth it to me.
      I'm in the Midwest (Chicago) if you ever decide to pull the trigger. Install is easy, the price is steep but as someone who has dumped $2k into aftermarket car audio in the past, OEM is a huge bonus.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
      2015 Golf R DSG+DCC | #441/500 | APR Stage 1 | Discover Pro MIB2 retrofit

6. 05-21-2017 01:17 PM #280
      Feel free to reach out via PM. dubpar helped me via PM to clarify a few steps, he is definitely more knowledgable then I am. I am a novice when it comes to mods, and the references in this forum were plenty to step me through it. Except for the one coding issue, it was very much plug and play. I really took my time, and the hardware install was 2 hrs tops. Trim removal was the most nerve racking and between notes here and a few YouTube videos you could figure out exactly what to do for each step on trim removal. A set of trim removal tools are handy, and VCDS is nice to have for troubleshooting. If you are a long term VAG owner, investing in that tool is very useful for troubleshooting and doing little mods here and there.

Good luck, like others, whether the cost is worth it or not is a personal decision, I have zero regrets. But like others I have found saving and getting exactly what you want is usually the best route to go vice compromising to save a few bucks.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2015 GTI SE 4-Door
      05-21-2017 04:24 PM #281
      Great info. I'll certainly enlist dubpar's help if I go that route. Sounds like I need to go to the dealership and play with the MIBII for a while and see how well carplay works for me.

Vehicles
      2015 GTI Autobahn PP MT
      05-21-2017 08:23 PM #282
      Just wanted to outline another successful install on a 2015 NA GTI....

That said, on the software side, I did have one issue where initially everything seemed to be working on the display, but I had no sound... APG was very good about working with me on troubleshooting using VCDS scans and it only took a day to get it sorted just because of the time difference and our mutual availability. They offered to Skype or direct message with me to troubleshoot, but scan reviews solved the problem. Ultimately, it turned out to be a single byte change that was required and the sound kicked in. Of note, the tone controls now indicate Dynaudio now but seems to have the same features as the original Fender tone controls and it sounds good.
      Good to see another successful retrofit and I'm glad if you found my post helpful.

Can you elaborate on the "no sound" issue you mentioned? Do you happen to know what byte APG changed to fix this, or have a post fix VCDS scan of your car you could send me?

Here's why I'm asking:
      One issue I continue to have is the SiriusXM band showing an "Acquiring signal" message long after it has begun playing. During these times the MIB II volume controls are inactive, and if they had been muted previously, they remain on mute (i.e. "no sound") until the "Acquiring signal" message is cleared. The only reliable way I have found to clear this condition is to switch from SXM to FM to AM and back to SXM - waiting for each band to begin playing.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

9. n00b
      Vehicles
      16/Golf/R
      05-22-2017 04:48 AM #283
      Quote Originally Posted by JWadle View Post
      Good to see another successful retrofit and I'm glad if you found my post helpful.

Can you elaborate on the "no sound" issue you mentioned? Do you happen to know what byte APG changed to fix this, or have a post fix VCDS scan of your car you could send me?

Here's why I'm asking:
      One issue I continue to have is the SiriusXM band showing an "Acquiring signal" message long after it has begun playing. During these times the MIB II volume controls are inactive, and if they had been muted previously, they remain on mute (i.e. "no sound") until the "Acquiring signal" message is cleared. The only reliable way I have found to clear this condition is to switch from SXM to FM to AM and back to SXM - waiting for each band to begin playing.

This problem with sirius was on early software.
      You need update.

10. 05-25-2017 02:59 PM #284
      Sorry for the delay. My issue was a complete lack of all sound, and none of the touch screen controls related to sound were responsive. They would slide and then snap back to their default. I couldn't even get touch screen sounds to work. The change was in Module 47. First byte: 22 to 12. Sounds like a completely different issues in your case.

Quote Originally Posted by JWadle View Post

Here's why I'm asking:

11. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2016 Volkswagen Golf Mk7 R Replica
      06-02-2017 07:13 AM #285
      Hi All,

Im hoping somebody can point me in the right direction here. I retrofitted an MIB PN 5G0035043A acquired from a source in Poland with all CP removed and Nav working etc I also switched out the mdi connector with a new USB Apple Carplay enabled connection https://www.aliexpress.com/item/For-...608.0.0.P8Vb0q and fitted an 8" display on my 2015 Golf. Everything is working but the USB option is greyed out on the car. I done the coding with Paul specified changing byte 19 values to 10000100 but still no joy. USB still not recognised I dont have VCP Pro only VCDS and didnt put MIB into engineering mode just switched the bits and the values have definitely changed to 10000100 Now my questions and aplogies if they are stupid ones Im just figuring this out as I go! The MIB I got with Harmann PN 5G0035043A (label on MIB itself) is this a CarPlay compatible MIB firstly. When I go into the SW settings for it it shows its device PN is 5G0035043D HW H40 SW 0368. I know this might be down to the cracked software that was installed by guys in Poland put on. Does anybody know what Im doing wrong here for USB to be greyed out or what coding I may need to change to make it work ? As always a big thank you to all the people who have posted in here so far.

12. 06-02-2017 07:35 AM #286
      In byte 2 untick AMI
      Bute 19 iPhone_Functionality

13. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      06-02-2017 10:01 AM #287
      Hey Olsen thanks for the response. Im using VCDS. It doesnt show the naming convention of the bits just literally tick untick. Can you tell me in Byte 2 which bit it is and which bit in byte 19 it is please ?

14. 06-02-2017 10:41 AM #288
      Quote Originally Posted by figster View Post
      Hey Olsen thanks for the response. Im using VCDS. It doesnt show the naming convention of the bits just literally tick untick. Can you tell me in Byte 2 which bit it is and which bit in byte 19 it is please ?
      Sorry may fault. Its not byte 2 but 8.
      For RHD Cars:
      Byte 8 should be 01 (my one is 41 and works)
      Byte 19 should be C6 or D6 if you have RVC

15. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      06-02-2017 12:29 PM #289
      OK cool Oslen. Thanks again for getting back to me. Currently at work but will have a chance to play around with it tomorrow.

16. 06-02-2017 06:15 PM #290
      Ive noticed some MIB2 headuint dont have helper file in VCDS.
      I will make one over the weekend so will be much easier to work on them.

17. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      06-02-2017 08:17 PM #291
      That would totally amazing if you could Olsen. You rock

18. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      06-04-2017 07:17 AM #292
      Hey Olsen sorry for annoying you but did you have any luck with VCDS helper file update. This is driving me crazy at the moment trying to get it working and flying completely blind in VCDS

19. 06-04-2017 07:38 AM #293
      Im on it. 13 Bytes done now. Hopefully will finish today

20. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      06-04-2017 12:30 PM #294
      You are a legend thank you thank you thank you.

21. 06-04-2017 12:52 PM #295
      Ok, Just done it now.
      Not sure how can I upload txt or lbl files here so there is the link to my dropbox
      Please people who have helper file in his VCDS check if this one is correct.
      If not please post pic/screen shot what it should be and let me know

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y64b2bxk3b...%20v1.lbl?dl=0

Regards

22. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      06-05-2017 11:06 AM #296
      Fantastic stuff Olsen. Im away at present but will be back home in another day to try again. Im sure I will manage to fix it now with this info.

Vehicles
      2015 GTI | Autobahn | CSG | DSG | LP | OEM+
      06-05-2017 12:06 PM #297
      Just wanted to chime in and thank everyone here for sharing their experiences and info. I've dealt with a few of you already through PMs and you've been incredibly helpful.

My MIB2 setup from APG is in-transit as we speak - hoping to receive it later this week. Went with the full Discover Pro with HD Radio/Sirius/Nav/etc, and performance monitors and such. Also went for the 8" screen. Very excited to receive everything and get it fitted.

Already have the head unit removal keys and confirmed they work properly, so now just waiting for everything to arrive. I will be sure to post once everything is up and running.
      2015 GTI | Autobahn | CSG | DSG | LP | OEM+ | MTM | Delivered June 2, 2014

S F L M K 7 / / /

A D A M S H E I K H . C O M

24. Member
      Vehicles
      2015 Golf R w/ Tech Package - Tornado Red
      06-05-2017 12:14 PM #298
      Quote Originally Posted by AdamSheikh View Post
      Just wanted to chime in and thank everyone here for sharing their experiences and info. I've dealt with a few of you already through PMs and you've been incredibly helpful.

My MIB2 setup from APG is in-transit as we speak - hoping to receive it later this week. Went with the full Discover Pro with HD Radio/Sirius/Nav/etc, and performance monitors and such. Also went for the 8" screen. Very excited to receive everything and get it fitted.

Already have the head unit removal keys and confirmed they work properly, so now just waiting for everything to arrive. I will be sure to post once everything is up and running.
      Very nice, excited for you. Let us know how it goes.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      2015 GTI | Autobahn | CSG | DSG | LP | OEM+
      06-07-2017 12:48 PM #299
      In an amazing feat of international logistics, everything arrived to my door this morning (after shipping out of Poland on Monday afternoon!). Unfortunately won't have time to install it tonight, but I might be able to take a stab at it tomorrow after I get out of the office. Otherwise, it'll be Saturday for sure. Can't wait!

And in case I didn't say it before, shout out to APG in Poland for facilitating everything. They were fast (overall) to respond to all my questions, and everything arrived in excellent condition.

Stay tuned!
      2015 GTI | Autobahn | CSG | DSG | LP | OEM+ | MTM | Delivered June 2, 2014

S F L M K 7 / / /

A D A M S H E I K H . C O M

26. Member
      Vehicles
      2015 GTI SE DSG LP
      06-07-2017 03:07 PM #300
      Quote Originally Posted by AdamSheikh View Post
      In an amazing feat of international logistics, everything arrived to my door this morning (after shipping out of Poland on Monday afternoon!). Unfortunately won't have time to install it tonight, but I might be able to take a stab at it tomorrow after I get out of the office. Otherwise, it'll be Saturday for sure. Can't wait!

And in case I didn't say it before, shout out to APG in Poland for facilitating everything. They were fast (overall) to respond to all my questions, and everything arrived in excellent condition.

Stay tuned!
      My body is ready.
      deAutoKey Full LED Conversion
      Euro LED Golf R Tinted Lights
      Euro Blindspot Mirrors
      Neuspeed RSe12 + Continental ExtremeContact Sport
      Remus Resonated Cat-back

Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast