Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge

Thread: Hyundai Santa Fe Sport/Tuscon Owners Chime In

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2015 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport 2.4 AWD, 2018 Mazda Miata Club
      12-14-2015 10:49 AM #1
      I've had my 2015 Santa Fe Sport for 6 months. I thought I'd share my experience so far.

It's a 2.4 AWD base model with only the 1st option pkg (foglights, heated seats, roof rails, back up camera and some other stuff)

Love the exterior styling. Very handsome SUV. Comfy, smooth ride. Strong brakes. Quiet on hwy. Good steering feel (believe it or not!). 2.4 engine smooth and well matched to the smooth 6spd auto transmission. Great value. Kinda fun to drive

Dislikes:

Seats could be more supportive/comfy (especially compared to VW GTI seats I've sat in for 15+ yrs)

Fuel economy not so good. Avg 20-22 mpg best was 27 mpg. In city below 20 mpg.

Couple rattles in hatch area.

Needs more power. 2.4 adequate in normal driving, and punchy off line, but falls flat as it revs pulling the weight of the SUV. Passing power uhm...no

Samson, 6cylvwguy, and whoever else, please tell us more about your Hyundai experience.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      Ghetto35, Lifted AWD Prius
      12-14-2015 12:18 PM #2
      I love our '12 Tucson GLS. It's still trucking along, but has had one issue pop up with the steering wheel "leather" or whatever it is. Some of the stitching on the bottom inside is a little bit loose, and it's starting to come away from the plastic trim. The small-ish cargo capacity (short hatchback trunk issue) is still annoying, but it's usually good enough. The AWD system is seamless.

New tires (Conti TrueContact) really quieted it down and improved the already good ride quality, but the dry handling isn't as sharp as it was with the louder and stiffer (2-ply) OE Kumhos.

We average around 24mpg in ours, and it'll top at around 30 on a highway drive. Power from our CA-emissions 2.4 (7 less hp or something) is more than adequate. It's certainly not fast, but it has never felt caught out. It'll creep up to 90+ pretty easily while passing on 2-lanes. No squeaks or rattles at 68k miles. My parents have a '13 Santa Fe Sport 2.4 AWD, and I prefer our Tucson for both driving dynamics and comfort. The Santa Fe is loads more practical though.

The seats fit me perfectly... they're one of my favorite things about the car. They're waaaaay better than either of my old Hondas for long-haul comfort, but that's a pretty individual thing.

Oh, the headlights have always been pretty poor.

When it comes time to replace this one, and I can't convince my wife to let us get an AWD Sienna, the new Tucson is pretty neat. They did kind of screw the pooch with unnecessary new flash-bang stuff (turbo, transmissions of many speeds, too big wheels), so that be a deal breaker...

4. Member
      Vehicles
      12-14-2015 12:46 PM #3
      The Santa Fe's headlights (halogen projectors) are excellent.

The 2017 Kia Sportage will be available with the 2.4 cyl/ 6 speed auto combo.

It's funny you point out the big wheels. I sought out the biggest sidewall this time around

5. Member
      Vehicles
      07-10-2016 02:22 PM #4
      *1 year update*

So far, after a year (14 months) and 8500 miles (don't drive much) the Hyundai as been rock solid. No problems to report.

I'm really enjoying this little rig. It's a pleasure to own and drive.

I'm averaging 21 mpg in town driving. Easily gets 25-27mpg on hwy. Seen 30+mpg a few times. One thing I've noticed, is the 2.4l 4 banger doesn't like cheap gas. So I am sticking with Shell and Exxon 87 and it runs great. Engine has loosened up nicely and if you keep your foot in it, all 190hp is unleashed and it goes pretty good. Transmission shifts smoothly, but hunts around a lot to maintain speed while pulling the SUV around. I wish the V6 was available in the Santa Fe Sport. 290hp would be nice But, I like the 4 banger. Good engine

This winter the AWD system performed well. Excellent traction in the snow. After driving FWD cars for a long time, I'm amazed how this thing accelerates in the slippery stuff. Just hit the gas and it goes with minimal loss of traction.

Really impressed with Hyundai. Great car. Korean Canyonero.
      Last edited by velocidub; 09-11-2019 at 12:22 PM.

Vehicles
      '88 BMW R100RT
      07-10-2016 05:09 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Samson View Post
      transmissions of many speeds, too big wheels), so that be a deal breaker...
      This hits home with me, and is a sign that I'm getting old. Wheels are getting too big, tire sidewalls too short, and transmissions have too many gears. Oh, and belt lines are way too high.

I want cars that aren't pillboxes and that actually have some glass area you can see out of, where the window sill isn't at the level of your eyeball. Tires that are thicker than rubber bands. 6 gears works fine for me.

/rant

7. Member
      Vehicles
      05-07-2017 01:00 PM #6
      *2 Year Update*

14,700 miles. Mostly in town driving. Averaging 20-22 mpg. Can easily get 25-27 hwy.

So far no major issues. Just some squeaks and rattles here and there. The driver's side window rattles a bit. I've slammed the door a few times with window down and may have broken/loosened something. But, window goes up and down fine.

Transmission has some shift flare shifting from 2nd to 3rd. Only does it when you lift off throttle when accelerating between those gears. Keep foot steady and shifts smooth. This is a lazy transmission on the up shifts. Downshifts are smooth and crisp.

Engine runs great. Doesn't burn any oil. However, this isn't the greatest engine for this vehicle. No torque. Makes peak torque at 4000 rpm. Have to thrash it a bit to get going. And, it's not the most refined engine. Makes a lot of racket. But, it has a little growel to it and character. I like it. If you keep foot in it it makes plenty of power.

So, I mentioned how the engine doesn't like cheap gas. Not only cheap gas, but 87 octane makes it ping. So, I run the cheapest 93 octane I can find, usually Costco, and it runs smooth and no pinging.

Something I have to keep in mind is this engine has numerous recalls. Apparently there is an issue with the rod bearings. Hyundai claims it's a manufacturing defect, but others say it may be a design problem. So, I am running synthetic oil and changing it every 3,750 miles. I'll change it myself to save $$$. A full synthetic oil change with OEM filter is under $35. Also, I switched to 5W30 over 5W20.

All in all, I'm really enjoying this vehicle. Great, comfy all weather daily driver

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '18 Jeep SRT; '11 M3 ZCP; '94 SLC
      05-07-2017 05:10 PM #7
      I didn't see this first time around, but my experience at 116k miles is similar to yours at almost 15k miles. I have only used 87 octane since new and I never noticed a problem. However, our vehicle is the 2.4l with port injection, whereas I think yours is direct injection.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      02 BMW 325I 5spd/ 97 Jetta/ 2012 Acura TSX wagon / 2019 Elantra GT N-line
      05-07-2017 08:59 PM #8
      I was told these are going to be recalled for engine failures after they're done with the Sonatas which has been a nightmare for Hyundai and the owners True? The Sonatas are grenading without warning. It's a matter of when. If the car passes inspection then the owner better hope it blows up by 120k or they are SOL.
      Last edited by gonzo08452; 05-07-2017 at 09:04 PM.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      05-28-2018 11:40 AM #9
      *3 Year Update*

The Santa Fe Sport is plugging along without any issues. 23,000 miles, mostly in town and county roads. Occasional hwy trips. Averaging 22 mpg.

Performed very well this past winter. Great in the snow, comfy over rough roads.

Really enjoying this vehicle. Crossovers/SUVs make the best daily drivers IMO. Especially in a 4 season state like NJ with cold snowy winters, and beat up roads.

Sometimes I think of trying a smaller vehicle, (love the Kona and Soul, Golf R, S3) but afraid after cruising in the Santa Fe for 3 years I may miss the comfort. I am in no rush to part with my Hyundai.

Pretty sure my DD will be AWD from here on out.

In a perfect world I'd pick up a small sports car/convertible for fun recreation driving. Can't quite justify the expense yet but getting closer.

One thing I need to mention is Hyundai service is horrible Hyundai needs to work on their dealers. Very unpleasant compared to years of VW dealers who were excellent in my experience.

Vehicles
      14 focus st
      05-28-2018 08:31 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by velocidub View Post
      *3 Year Update*

The Santa Fe Sport is plugging along without any issues. 23,000 miles, mostly in town and county roads. Occasional hwy trips. Averaging 22 mpg.

Performed very well this past winter. Great in the snow, comfy over rough roads.

Really enjoying this vehicle. Crossovers/SUVs make the best daily drivers IMO. Especially in a 4 season state like NJ with cold snowy winters, and beat up roads.

Sometimes I think of trying a smaller vehicle, (love the Kona and Soul, Golf R, S3) but afraid after cruising in the Santa Fe for 3 years I may miss the comfort. I am in no rush to part with my Hyundai.

In a perfect world I'd pick up a small sports car/convertible for fun recreation driving. Can't quite justify the expense yet but getting closer.

One thing I need to mention is Hyundai service is horrible Hyundai needs to work on their dealers. Very unpleasant compared to years of VW dealers who were excellent in my experience.
      Nice detailed long term updates - thanks! Do you plan on keeping this vehicle until paid off? Any maintenance items you plan on tackling over the next ~8k of service, like trans or differential fluids to extend life?

Vehicles
      13' Genesis Coupe, 16' Tucson
      05-28-2018 09:28 PM #11
      2016 Tucson SE.

We're almost at 30k miles and haven't had any issues. The Mrs. is not gentle at all with any car, so this has been a positive experience

13. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '18 RCSB EB F150
      05-28-2018 09:54 PM #12
      I bet this depends on how old the dealership is.
      Dealers that were around 20-30 years ago sold on price and will finance everybody and that's it.
      They probably planned to make "extra" profit on service and repairs to make up.
      And once that gets baked into your business plan....

While much younger dealers have always had much better products that didn't need to be super cheap to sell to people with bad credit.
      Both the local Kia and Hyundai dealers are fairly young (6-8 years old), and both seem to have happy customers.

Vehicles
      "18 Macan S, '14 Boxster
      05-28-2018 10:57 PM #13
      *3 Year Update*

Let me say I appreciate your updates! I had a few rentals and they all were nice to drive. Also, tcl is “mean” nor participating in your experience sometimes.
      Keep right except to pass!

15. Member
      Vehicles
      05-29-2018 05:40 AM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by fireside View Post
      Nice detailed long term updates - thanks! Do you plan on keeping this vehicle until paid off? Any maintenance items you plan on tackling over the next ~8k of service, like trans or differential fluids to extend life?
      I would like to keep until paid off and ride out the warranty. 27 more payments May pay off early. Then maybe a Miata for fun 2nd car. We'll see. Always looking at new cars.

I will look into long term maintenance. Need to find a better dealership to work on car. Don't have confidence in dealer closest to home. I would buy another car there, that was a good experience. Service dept

05-29-2018 09:02 AM #15
      During your two-year update you mentioned pinging and an insanely short synthetic oil-change interval. Is this still a concern? What about the 2-3 transmission shift flare, still an issue?

Also, hows the paint, interior holding up? I noticed the drivers door in our Elantra getting flimsy feeling with some rattles at about 11k miles.

That's a good looking ride, btw.

Chris
      | 2017 Elantra | 2018 JLU Sport | 2013 C-Max Energi | 2001 BMW 740 iL | 1974 SuperBeetle | 1962 Ford Unibody | The poster formerly known as 200HP4dr

Vehicles
      13' Genesis Coupe, 16' Tucson
      05-29-2018 11:28 AM #16
      https://www.hyundaiusa.com/maintenan...ule/index.aspx

It looks like your oil change interval should be 7,500 miles.
      Some dealers try to recommend the severe usage interval which is way way way way lower

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      05-29-2018 01:07 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by 6cylVWguy View Post
      I didn't see this first time around, but my experience at 116k miles is similar to yours at almost 15k miles. I have only used 87 octane since new and I never noticed a problem. However, our vehicle is the 2.4l with port injection, whereas I think yours is direct injection.
      Update: At 133k miles and going ok. The A/C seems to work sporadically and is being looked at as I type this.

Quote Originally Posted by Braga_Dub View Post
      Some dealers try to recommend the severe usage interval which is way way way way lower
      This is my experience as well. One dealer recommends every 3k miles and another recommends 4k. I get it done every 7500 miles, per the manual since the vehicle isn't used in overly dirty environments, extreme climates, nor does it sit in stop-and-go traffic on a regular basis. I was told that hyundai issued some sort of memo indicating that any vehicle driven in the philly-metro area should automatically be considered severe usage. Yeah, no thank you.

Vehicles
      2018 Hyundai Elantra Sport
      05-29-2018 01:18 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by 6cylVWguy View Post
      This is my experience as well. One dealer recommends every 3k miles and another recommends 4k. I get it done every 7500 miles, per the manual since the vehicle isn't used in overly dirty environments, extreme climates, nor does it sit in stop-and-go traffic on a regular basis. I was told that hyundai issued some sort of memo indicating that any vehicle driven in the philly-metro area should automatically be considered severe usage. Yeah, no thank you.
      Funny thing: The service timer in my car was defaulted at 3,000 miles. Nope.

It's 6,000 (regular usage) according to the manual.

Can't comment on the service experience yet since I haven't been back since I bought the car.
      Next car desires subject to change... Perpetually.

20. Member
      Vehicles
      05-31-2018 05:37 AM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by Crispyfritter View Post
      During your two-year update you mentioned pinging and an insanely short synthetic oil-change interval. Is this still a concern? What about the 2-3 transmission shift flare, still an issue?

Also, hows the paint, interior holding up? I noticed the drivers door in our Elantra getting flimsy feeling with some rattles at about 11k miles.

That's a good looking ride, btw.

Chris
      I only drive ~7000 miles a year. Drive back in forth 2 miles to work. Engine barely gets warmed up in winter. So I decided full synthetic every 3750 would be a good idea. Also, I've read fuel dilution of the oil is an issue with this engine. $35 with OEM filter is cheap. More a hassle than anything else, since I do it myself.

Still has the shift flare. I think the transmission itself is ok. More a programming issue. You need to give this engine/transmission combo some throttle to move along. If you don't it just downshifts after upshift. I hardly ever get the shift flare 2-3 because give it enough throttle to prevent it. A turbo or V6 would better suit this vehicle.

Paint and interior holding up well. However, numerous rattles and the back seat shakes when you hit bumps. After VWs for many years the Hyundai is noticeably less refined and not engineered to that level. Vws are solid as a rock in comparison. Hyundai is improving but has work to do to other makes in the NVH area.

With its faults, I still like and enjoy the car. Its actually fun to drive.

Forgot to mention no pinging with 93 and minor pinging with 87.
      Last edited by velocidub; 05-31-2018 at 05:40 AM.

21. Member
      Vehicles
      11-03-2018 01:37 PM #20
      Santa Fe is plugging along. Drove less than 4,000 miles in 6 months. Now at 26,000 miles. Put 1,000 miles on Miata since I bought it in August. The Santa Fe is like riding on a cloud compared to the Miata.

I changed the oil the other day in the Santa Fe. 3400 miles on the oil and it was very black and smelled like gasoline. As mentioned in other threads, these GDI engines do allow fuel to mix will oil. It was pretty strong. If I threw a match in it it, probably would have ignited Using Pennzoil Platinum 5W30 synthetic. Engine sounds/runs smooth.

Really enjoy this Hyundai. Drove my Dad's 2016 Mazda CX-5 extensively last week (with the 19 in wheels) and the Hyundai is more comfortable. If I had to drive cross country, I'd take the Santa Fe over the CX-5. The CX-5 is an awesome rig, but a little stiff for NJ roads. I'm getting old, I guess.

22. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 Chevrolet SS 6M
      11-03-2018 05:55 PM #21
      When the Santa Fe first came out, it took me completely by surprise. I saw one at a gas station; I had read nothing about an SUV from Hyundai in Car and Driver. In early 2010, my realtor had a Tucson... With a manual transmission. Shortly after this, for a second vehicle she bought an early E36 with leather, power seats, and a slushbox. Nothing makes sense anymore. #csb (missed the thread necromancy, too)
      Quote Originally Posted by Broduski View Post
      TCL would suggest a Bi-Turbo to a single mother of 4 just for sh*t's and giggles.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      Here we can all drive like Colin McRae in his prime, earn $25k a month and bang super models. We can also text and drive.
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      You only live once, and you can file for Chapter 7 Bankruptcy every 8 years.

23. Member
      Vehicles
      09-11-2019 12:37 PM #22
      *10 month 5,000 mile update*

First problem with the Santa Fe. It needs a new transmission

Oh well. It's under warranty. Hopefully they will fix it well, because I was planning on keeping the car.

It only has 31,000 miles.

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      09-11-2019 02:20 PM #23
      *10 month 5,000 mile update*

First problem with the Santa Fe. It needs a new transmission

Oh well. It's under warranty. Hopefully they will fix it well, because I was planning on keeping the car.

It only has 31,000 miles.
      That sucks! Let us know how it is to work with hyundai on such a large fix.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk