Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: North American Map Updates for Discover Media

Vehicles
      2016 Manual Autobahn GTI w/perf, lighting, DCC
      01-18-2016 01:54 PM #1
      I can't figure this out either.

This is where you get directed to for updates from VW's main site:

http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/INT...campaign_light

Now if you're in Europe you can simply select the media type and download updates, add them to your card, and you're golden.

As soon as you select North America as your region, you're redirected here:

http://allthingsnav.navigation.com/

And on this website, there is no update after 2014, and the only things available for VW are brand new SD cards costing more than $120

Does anyone know where to go to get map updates for the navigation in the MK7 2016 GTI?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      2015 GTI Autobahn
      01-18-2016 02:33 PM #2
      And even with the updated SD card the nav still will not work

Vehicles
      2015 GTI | Autobahn | CSG | DSG | LP | OEM+
      01-18-2016 03:02 PM #3
      I just went through this debacle. Hopefully someone can learn from my story. Or maybe even help in solving the mystery.

I found the latest version of the SD card (Version 3) at ECS Tuning for about $55. Received the card and popped it into my car, only for it to say "checking map data" for a few seconds. After about 10 seconds, it gave me a "map data is invalid" message. Contacting ECS didn't solve anything, chatting with VWoA didn't yield any results, and even my dealer was unable to figure this out. They suggested that maybe the card had been used in another vehicle (thus locking it to that head unit), so I had ECS exchange the card for a new one.

The new one seemed promising at first. It gave a me a spinning progress indicator and said "checking map data" for a solid 30-40 mins. I eventually grew tired of waiting and safely ejected the card via the menu. My original version 1 card went back in and loaded in no time at all. Figured I would try the V3 card again, and it gave me the "invalid" message once more.

Long story short, I've returned the V3 card for a refund and am back to my original V1 card that came with the car back in June 14. Nobody seems to have any info on this...
      2015 GTI | Autobahn | CSG | DSG | LP | OEM+ | MTM | Delivered June 2, 2014

S F L M K 7 / / /

A D A M S H E I K H . C O M

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      01-18-2016 03:18 PM #4
      For what it's worth, I just sent an email using this contact form: https://vw.navigation.com/contactus/en_US/VWNA/USD

Will keep you all posted if I hear anything. Not holding my breath...

S F L M K 7 / / /

7. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '18 Mazda CX-5
      01-18-2016 03:45 PM #5
      problem solved

Vehicles
      2015 GTI Autobahn
      01-18-2016 03:48 PM #6
      lol

Vehicles
      MkVII Golf 1.8t
      01-18-2016 04:28 PM #7
      1. Pull original Nav card completely.
      2. Insert 64GB card of Music to go with the already 64GB of music in slot-2
      3. Stick Garmin Nuvi on dash. Keep up-to-date every 3-4 months, at absolutely no cost (if you get any model with Lifetime Maps).

Advantage:
      Lots more music, better than Sirius or FM.
      Current map data, and
      A display I can keep in line-of-site instead of looking down towards the console.

See both Navigation AND what album is playing (always on constant Shuffle), or other screen of your choice
      And easier to use, AND more detailed, AND more accurate, AND lets me load a few thousand of my own POIs in categories I choose (important - to me).

Get a brand new Garmin (or other) every 2, 4, 6, years for less than VW's updates. A decent unit is $150-$200 (CDN), so that's what? 15-20 Bucks U.S.

Disadvantage:
      One butt-ugly cable snaking down across the console to get to the 12V socket in arm-rest

Compass in MFD always points N(orth). Before last s/w upgrade for Info unit (4430), always pointed E(ast)
      (there should be a way via VCDS to tell system to not use the Nav, just the GPS sensor (or something).
      My '87 Jetta had a compass long before there was ever a Nav option, so this should be doable. Folks in various MkV and VI forums apparently had a solution.

(VCDS Guru, where are you?)

Vehicles
      01-18-2016 07:36 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by absoluteczech View Post
      problem solved

Well in my MK6 I used my iPhone, and TomTom maps (I don't want to use anything that gobbles data). But Car Play doesn't allow 3rd party navigation apps (yet) and it seems silly to have navigation in the car than can't be used.

I'll use the costa contact form the poster above you linked.

Vehicles
      01-20-2016 03:55 PM #9
      Just received this response from them:

Hello Adam,

Thank you for inquiring about HERE Maps. Your 2015 Volkswagen Golf GTI came equipped with the newest maps currently available. At this time, the release date of the next update has not been officially announced. Generally updates are released every 12-18 months.

To check the availability of new map updates for your vehicle, please visit www.navigation.com periodically.

If you need additional assistance, please send us your feedback by replying to this email.

Kind regards,

HERE Customer Service
      P.O. Box 1588
      Orem, UT 84059

Here's what I sent back:

I'm a bit confused. My car was built all the way back in March of 2014, and delivered to me in June of 2014. It has already been 18 months, if not longer since then.

Also, like I mentioned, I consulted with my dealer and other owners of the 2015 GTI. The version printed on my SD card is Version 1, whereas there are Version 3 cards in newer cars. Clearly, I do NOT have the latest version available.

In any case, it would be helpful to at least add 2015 and 2016 models to your website. It is rather frustrating to be directed there, only to have no option of selecting the correct year and generation of car.

So, predictably, this got us nowhere.

S F L M K 7 / / /

12. Junior Member
      05-01-2016 01:59 PM #10
      My car came originally with VW part # 5G9 919 866 H, the V2 North America navigation memory card.
      As vw.navigation.com has no car selection newer than the 2014 model year, and an email to them got me a response that really contained no info either, that route is a dead end. So I went to my dealer.
      They searched their parts data base and sold me a 5G9-919-866 S card. Which had the exact same packaging info ("Discover Media" ...) other than it is V3 for NA.
      It did not load and I returned it. Apparently that update is for MIB II, though nothing on the package indicates that.

So the parts people phoned around and got me 5G9-919-866 H. Which comes with an Activation Code, an Activation Number and a PIN. And requires a data link to the VW mothership to be activated, using their ODIS maintenance computer in the shop. There is a one page bulletin "Enabling Discover Media navigation data" that the shop gets. And with it I got to buy a licence. For the H, then, I paid twice as much as for the S ($202 instead of $100).

Well, it works. As far as I can tell, the navigation now boots up faster than V2 did, and seems to run quicker.

After the upgrade my system is: 5G0 035876, HW 014, SW 0655, data 5G9-919-866 H 0022 NAR 2015.

Neither service writer nor mechanic believed initially that it was not a simple as me installing the new SD card. Now they know
      Compared to Europe, where yearly (or twice-yearly) map data updates are free for five years following the purchase of the car, and can be downloaded from a server, here in NA the map data support seems stuck in the middle ages. As it is apparently in some other countries, too.

What an odd way to run a business. Wake up VW!
      And I do like my car.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      2018 Tiguan SEL-P Pure White.
      05-01-2016 03:33 PM #11
      Hello,

My 2015 came with version 3 and it did not work when taken delivery of the car. They pulled a version 2 from another car on the lot and that worked. Now the version 3 sits in my desk drawer.

I'll have to look into this at the dealership.

Thank you

Paul

14. 05-01-2016 08:11 PM #12
      I have a 2016 Mk7 with VW's built-in nav and App-Connect. I rarely use either.

The built-in nav display is occasionally useful, just for showing me where I am on the map. But programming a destination for turn-by-turn directions is a pain in the ass. It can't search for destinations unless they are in my contacts list, or its (very limited) database of gas stations and points of interest. Programming a street address by voice recognition is awkward, and error prone. Typing onto the screen is slow.

I have an iPhone, so I tried attaching it via App-Connect and CarPlay. I can issue voice commands to Siri, and use it to search and produce turn-by-turn directions. This works OK, but the limitation is Apple's maps and destinations database, which is not as good as Google's.

So most of the time, if I need nav assistance, I just use Google Maps on my iPhone, unconnected to the car. I'm not going to buy an Android phone, just so I can run Google Maps on the dashboard display.

15. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 sport, 2016 passat se
      01-09-2018 08:50 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by Zoolook_ View Post
      I can't figure this out either.

This is where you get directed to for updates from VW's main site:

http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/INT...campaign_light

Now if you're in Europe you can simply select the media type and download updates, add them to your card, and you're golden.

As soon as you select North America as your region, you're redirected here:

http://allthingsnav.navigation.com/

And on this website, there is no update after 2014, and the only things available for VW are brand new SD cards costing more than $120

Does anyone know where to go to get map updates for the navigation in the MK7 2016 GTI?
      Yup, VW update for n. america is pretty sucky to say the least... Not only can you not update your own map/system the web site directs you to to a Dealer web site to "Purchase" a 200.00 SD Card??
      WTF?!
      Why does europe/mexico etc..get updates but N. america does not? Way to piss off your customer base VW

Vehicles
      01-09-2018 10:22 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by adam1991 View Post
      When you click GTI it prompts you to buy updates from your dealer.

I’m not sure what you think you solved.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      01-10-2018 07:23 AM #15
      I didn't get the web site navigation results that were in the post I quoted. I got right to that page. I never got to here.com.

Yeah--see your dealer. Welcome to VW.

Compared to Honda, VW doesn't know that the internet exists.
      The post you quoted is 2 years old, the site might have been different then.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

18. Member
      Vehicles
      2014 Audi A5, 2018 Passat R-Line
      01-10-2018 08:59 AM #16
      dude...what you're buying is not the SD card.

You know that, don't you?

Don't you?
      what?? I think he "is" buying a sd card.. thats what many of the discover media (usa) version radios use that have the slot for an sd card. you know that, dont you?
      when you go the the nav web site it just directs you to "contact a dealer" and they want you to spend 195.00+ for the sd card map update etc..

My wifes mazda gets 3 years of free map updates.... vw could learn a lesson here. Dont piss off your customer base with a 200 sd card for a new car.

19. Member
      Vehicles
      2014 Audi A5, 2018 Passat R-Line
      01-10-2018 01:41 PM #17
      Yeah, and tomtom charges 50 bucks to update a tomtom unit with similar maps.. you dont think VW is ripping off its customers?? then you have not paid attention.

pay 25k-30k for your new vw and your maps are already old... 6 months later you wish to update and they want 200.00? call me crazy
      Last edited by wogeboy; 01-10-2018 at 01:48 PM.

20. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 sport, 2016 passat se
      01-10-2018 02:05 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by wogeboy View Post
      Yeah, and tomtom charges 50 bucks to update a tomtom unit with similar maps.. you dont think VW is ripping off its customers?? then you have not paid attention.

pay 25k-30k for your new vw and your maps are already old... 6 months later you wish to update and they want 200.00? call me crazy
      yes thx..I agree. It is what it is. the vw map has poor routing anyway.
      GMC even gave me one free update on my 14 truck.

lets move on

Vehicles
      2016 VW Golf TSI SEL
      03-15-2018 04:58 PM #19
      Any one with a '16 Golf SEL or GTI Autobahn managed to find a navigation update? Going through the VW website (vw.navigation.com) just tells me to contact the dealer. Assuming I ever get the car back, I was going to check with the parts department to see if they have anything, and a part number might help...

Vehicles
      2017 Jetta 1.8T, 2015 GTI, 2013 Jetta 2.0, 2004 Jetta 1.9 TDI
      03-15-2018 08:53 PM #20
      I think in North America you are forced to buy the SD card for every year. And it's not cheap. If you ask me it should be a regular update that they do when you service the car but hey, where's the money in that right?

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

23. Internet Lighting Police cb1111's Avatar
      03-15-2018 09:16 PM #21
      Back before NAVTEQ became HERE, they would list what areas were updated in each new version. They no longer do that.

Only about 1/100th of the map data is updated annually and the general rule of thumb is that your area (whatever "your" area is) will get meaningful map changes ever 5 years.

You can cheat a bit to see if your area has any changes. HERE supplies map data for Bing maps, so check your area in Bing maps and compare it to a missing road in your car nav.

Vehicles
      '18 GTI Autobahn MT w/cloth, Dark Iron Blue / '08 Rabbit 5spd (sold)
      03-15-2018 10:26 PM #22
      The maps that came with my 2018 are provided by TomTom (according to the back of the SD card case), is that a new supplier vs previous years?

25. Internet Lighting Police cb1111's Avatar
      03-16-2018 10:42 AM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by Tooly View Post
      The maps that came with my 2018 are provided by TomTom (according to the back of the SD card case), is that a new supplier vs previous years?
      Hmmmm

AFAIK, US mappping is provided by HERE. Odd (but not impossible) that Canadian maps are provided by TomTom (TeleAtlas).

The same advice still holds true. TomTom provides mapping data to Apple, so instead of using Bing to compare, use an iPhone running Apple maps.

Vehicles
      '16 Golf R, '08 Z4M Coupé
      03-16-2018 01:10 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by cb1111 View Post
      Hmmmm

AFAIK, US mappping is provided by HERE. Odd (but not impossible) that Canadian maps are provided by TomTom (TeleAtlas).
      Maps for my '16 R are definitely by TomTom.

'16 Golf R 6MT
      '08 Z4 M Coupé

27. Internet Lighting Police cb1111's Avatar
      03-16-2018 06:52 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by Tooly View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
      Maps for my '16 R are definitely by TomTom.
      Odd. If you go to the VW navigation site the maps are clearly supplied by HERE (scroll to the bottom). Even odder is that the R32 is listed but not the R. Would VW use separate maps for the R? HERE and TomTom are direct competitors. HERE is far more common in the US while TomTom has Europe pretty well sewn up.

VW in Europe use tomTom mapping

One interesting question would be which maps are used by the upgraded units people are buying.
      Last edited by cb1111; 03-16-2018 at 06:54 PM.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast