Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: North American Map Updates for Discover Media

Vehicles
      2016 VW Golf TSI SEL
      03-26-2018 12:42 AM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by dcsh View Post
      This is the map update instruction for discover media map. Looks like we just need to get the latest map data and copy it over to our existing SD card.
      http://webspecial.volkswagen.de/maps...edia_Gen.2.pdf

Part number for the latest NAR map is 3G0 919 866 BP.

Cars built in Puebla after 2/19 will have this version.

Can someone with the latest map make a copy of their SD card and upload it?
      There's no North American data at that site; and that part number isn't Google-able yet. Besides, why would it be compatible when the previous (BH) version was specifically stated to not be usable on a 2016, We won't know for absolute sure until someone actually puts that new card in a AS nav system from 2016.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 03-26-2018 02:40 AM #52
      Quote Originally Posted by Mightion View Post
      There's no North American data at that site; and that part number isn't Google-able yet. Besides, why would it be compatible when the previous (BH) version was specifically stated to not be usable on a 2016, We won't know for absolute sure until someone actually puts that new card in a AS nav system from 2016.
      The important thing is the update procedure, which should apply to all mib2 discover media units worldwide. The only thing we are missing is the new map data, but we can get that from a newer SD card.

The last two letter in the part number simply states the version of the map data, but the format remains the same. Whoever told you that the previous version is incompatible with your car is wrong.

BP is the latest version shown in etka. Probably not orderable yet.

4. 04-08-2018 12:30 AM #53
      I just bought an 18 GTI Autobahn yesterday. Among a million other things...here's what I was told. Literally. "Uh...yeah...so here's your SD Card for Nav...I'll just put it into SD2 right here...ok...now here you do this and ya do that...and you can see it this way...that way....blah, blah, blah...."

When she was finally done, trying to explain the Nav system...she said..."Oh yeah...and you'll want to update this Nav SD card. So...all ya do is go the VW site...annnnnnnnd download updates from there.

WTF?!?!?!?!? WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have NEVER been so unimpressed (and SCARED) by someones TOTAL lack of knowledge!!!!

Anyway...like everyone else here...I'm try to SORT T F out what is going on...in trying to update my SD card...if it's even possible OR NEEDED!!!

OEM Part#: 3G0 919 866 BH

What have I got here? an UP TO DATE card?...or....?????

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. 04-08-2018 01:58 AM #54
      Quote Originally Posted by dcsh View Post
      The important thing is the update procedure, which should apply to all mib2 discover media units worldwide. The only thing we are missing is the new map data, but we can get that from a newer SD card.

The last two letter in the part number simply states the version of the map data, but the format remains the same. Whoever told you that the previous version is incompatible with your car is wrong.

BP is the latest version shown in etka. Probably not orderable yet.
      Mine is BH.

7. 04-09-2018 12:43 PM #55
      Quote Originally Posted by eodtech1* View Post
      I just bought an 18 GTI Autobahn yesterday. Among a million other things...here's what I was told. Literally. "Uh...yeah...so here's your SD Card for Nav...I'll just put it into SD2 right here...ok...now here you do this and ya do that...and you can see it this way...that way....blah, blah, blah...."

When she was finally done, trying to explain the Nav system...she said..."Oh yeah...and you'll want to update this Nav SD card. So...all ya do is go the VW site...annnnnnnnd download updates from there.

WTF?!?!?!?!? WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have NEVER been so unimpressed (and SCARED) by someones TOTAL lack of knowledge!!!!

Anyway...like everyone else here...I'm try to SORT T F out what is going on...in trying to update my SD card...if it's even possible OR NEEDED!!!

OEM Part#: 3G0 919 866 BH

What have I got here? an UP TO DATE card?...or....?????
      up to date as of February.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2014 Audi A5, 2018 Passat R-Line
      04-18-2018 10:19 AM #56
      update if anyone gets any info--- cheers
      Last edited by wogeboy; 05-01-2018 at 08:07 AM.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      MkV R32 [sold to brother]; MkVII R
      04-21-2018 05:10 PM #57
      Just to confirm what you guys are saying, my 2016 Golf R (purchased in Nov 2015) has 3G0 919 866 B and is AS North America V1....and according to VW this is still the latest version available for my nav unit...and there's no known date for updates so I should just check back in again in about 6 months or so?

Thanks,

Brian W

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 sport, 2016 passat se
      04-22-2018 03:45 PM #58
      Quote Originally Posted by bewflash View Post
      Just to confirm what you guys are saying, my 2016 Golf R (purchased in Nov 2015) has 3G0 919 866 B and is AS North America V1....and according to VW this is still the latest version available for my nav unit...and there's no known date for updates so I should just check back in again in about 6 months or so?

Thanks,

Brian W
      There does not seem to be a definitive answer.. vw and dealers are no help to this very question. My wifes V1 sd card is 3 years old and several newer roads do not show up.
      Some folks with newer (2017) GLI's have 3G0919866BB v4 sd cards, but a few folks have purchased this BB v4 version and it wont read properly in their mibII radios
      So I have no idea... Others here may have a better idea. I dont think you can use a "used" sd card either. (must be new/unused)
      Contact your local dealer with your VIN and see if they have an answer

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-VOLKSWAG...ha2omf&vxp=mtr
      Last edited by vdubsurfer; 04-22-2018 at 03:50 PM.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      2014 Audi A5, 2018 Passat R-Line
      05-01-2018 08:08 AM #59
      Sadly VW has a terrible update route for these radios (or lack of) for N. American buyers... shame on you vw

12. Member
      Vehicles
      MkV R32 [sold to brother]; MkVII R
      05-04-2018 07:25 PM #60
      Thanks for the info. Weird that I've had this car for 2 1/2 years and no map updates. Guess I'll keep checking back every so often lol.

13. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2016 passat se
      05-20-2018 01:57 PM #61
      Quote Originally Posted by bewflash View Post
      Thanks for the info. Weird that I've had this car for 2 1/2 years and no map updates. Guess I'll keep checking back every so often lol.
      I dont think vw knows whats going on with these radios.
      I have same version you do (3G0919866B). I called local dealer a month ago and they had no answer for an update.
      I then brought car in for 20k service recently and asked again.

VW parts guy said he "thinks" the new version is 3G0919866AE. (v4) He could order one for 215.00?!?! (215.00 and he "thinks" it is correct?)
      I told them to pound sand. smh

Vehicles
      2016 Golf R Tech/DSG
      05-20-2018 03:15 PM #62
      The parts guy at my dealer (he's no n00b either... he's been there for a while) said to me that they don't bother ordering in the map upgrades because they're cheaper to download from navigation.com/here. However, that's the link that returns a message for my car to contact the dealer for an upgrade. Round and round...
      Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta Gti
      I lose brain cells coming in here everyday.

Vehicles
      2016 GTI 6MT Performance
      05-20-2018 04:53 PM #63
      Quote Originally Posted by shane1205 View Post
      I dont think vw knows whats going on with these radios.
      I have same version you do (3G0919866B). I called local dealer a month ago and they had no answer for an update.
      I then brought car in for 20k service recently and asked again.

VW parts guy said he "thinks" the new version is 3G0919866AE. (v4) He could order one for 215.00?!?! (215.00 and he "thinks" it is correct?)
      I told them to pound sand. smh
      Quote Originally Posted by isoprene View Post
      The parts guy at my dealer (he's no n00b either... he's been there for a while) said to me that they don't bother ordering in the map upgrades because they're cheaper to download from navigation.com/here. However, that's the link that returns a message for my car to contact the dealer for an upgrade. Round and round...
      Maybe use a proxy with Europe IP to try the download link? But they probably require your VIN and I guess you'll need someone's EU VIN also - or if you have a friend in EU, get them to download and send to you? Probably have protection like VIN lock though.

Seems someone on the other forum got a new (2018) map update for their NAR mk7.

"My September 2014, car just received the latest map update (2018).
      VW part # 5G9 919 866 Q. North America V7. (contains Mexico, US, Canada)
      Your favourite VW dealer can order it for you.

For completeness, here the system info from my car:
      Device part # 5G0 035 876
      Hardware 014
      Software 0655
      Nav database # 5G9919866Q 0036 NAR2018

The dealer had to install the card. Because they have to hook the car up to the mothership, stick the card in, enter card ID#, card PIN # etc. (all come with the package). Then the card is registered to the car and cannot be used in another car.
      The installation was free.
      The card not so much: with tax $210.58 Canadian.
      But my wife wants/has no cell but needs the nav when she uses the car, so there we are

On the unexpected bright side: this version is fast. Come home in the evening. Park the car and turn it off. Start in the morning: From starting the car to the nav system being up and running takes the same time as bluetooth connecting my phone. About as long as the previous card version took when the car had only been turned off for 10 minutes or so. Wow."

Sauce

Vehicles
      2016 VW Golf TSI SEL
      05-21-2018 02:21 AM #64
      Quote Originally Posted by dunkelweizen View Post
      Maybe use a proxy with Europe IP to try the download link? But they probably require your VIN and I guess you'll need someone's EU VIN also - or if you have a friend in EU, get them to download and send to you? Probably have protection like VIN lock though.

Seems someone on the other forum got a new (2018) map update for their NAR mk7.

"My September 2014, car just received the latest map update (2018).
      VW part # 5G9 919 866 Q. North America V7. (contains Mexico, US, Canada)
      Your favourite VW dealer can order it for you.

For completeness, here the system info from my car:
      Device part # 5G0 035 876
      Hardware 014
      Software 0655
      Nav database # 5G9919866Q 0036 NAR2018

The dealer had to install the card. Because they have to hook the car up to the mothership, stick the card in, enter card ID#, card PIN # etc. (all come with the package). Then the card is registered to the car and cannot be used in another car.
      The installation was free.
      The card not so much: with tax $210.58 Canadian.
      But my wife wants/has no cell but needs the nav when she uses the car, so there we are

On the unexpected bright side: this version is fast. Come home in the evening. Park the car and turn it off. Start in the morning: From starting the car to the nav system being up and running takes the same time as bluetooth connecting my phone. About as long as the previous card version took when the car had only been turned off for 10 minutes or so. Wow."

Sauce
      2015 year cars didn't have the new MIB II that 2016's got. This is likely to be no help for a 2016 NAR car - the fact that the device part number starts with 5G and 2016's with Nav have part numbers starting with 3G is enough to keep me from looking into it.

Of course, if someone tries it and reports that it works; that's a different story.

Vehicles
      MkVII Golf 1.8t
      05-22-2018 09:13 AM #65
      Quote Originally Posted by adam1991 View Post
      The $100 (refurb) Garmin on the dash of my mk7 GTI Autobahn may not be built in, but:

a) it functions much better than the built in stuff, and allows me to speak naturally to it

b) it's up in the line of sight where I don't have to take my eyes from the road to see it, as opposed to being way down in the middle out of my line of sight--in addition to my arm blocking half the screen

c) it gets free quarterly map updates for life

On the other side, it's not tied into my car's systems like the low fuel sensor which, when triggered, asks me, "do you want to navigate to the nearest gas station?" Of course, I can just then speak to my Garmin and ask it to find the nearest gas stations, so...
      ^^^ THIS ^^^ All of ^This^.
      Even a brand new Garmin, decently feature-equipped, is a much better deal than the built-in POS. I don't really need it to tie-in with the car's info system. When I'm low on gas, it is still easy enough to navigate to a station without the hand-holding. Maybe VW's has improved since 2015, but Search function on mine truly sucks.

Would be nice to get rid of the dangling USB cable though. Why-oh-why can't we simply have a standardized mount and interface up on the dash, and customer plugs in their GPS of choice. On all car brands. Should not be any different than use of a cell-phone.

18. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 Jetta SEL
      06-26-2018 07:34 PM #66
      So I bought a 3G0919866BH AS V5 navigation SD off of ebay that was opened. It didn't work in my MIB II radio and dealer told me that the SD bonds to the radio it's originally plugged into, I guess similar to how RNS-315 map update SD's were. (I ended up getting refunded from ebay seller.) Does anyone on know if I just delete the map folder off my original v3 SD card and copy over the V5 info it may work? Seems like either there is some hidden partition on these SD cards or a serial number that the MIBII sees.

19. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 sport, 2016 passat se
      06-29-2018 04:41 PM #67
      Quote Originally Posted by builtospill View Post
      Does anyone on know if I just delete the map folder off my original v3 SD card and copy over the V5 info it may work? Seems like either there is some hidden partition on these SD cards or a serial number that the MIBII sees.
      No, wont work.. vw has made it nearly impossible to do a simple map update with these cars.. smh

20. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 Jetta SEL
      06-29-2018 05:25 PM #68
      That’s silly, everyone on here should call VWoA and complain (1-800-544-8021)
      It was super easy to get updates on the RNS-315 in my golf MK6. I’ve asked multiple dealers about updates for my MIB II and they have no clue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21. Member
      Vehicles
      2018 Tiguan
      07-11-2018 04:32 PM #69
      Crazy how difficult it apparently is to update these maps. From my research if you have a Discover Pro Nav system you can update it using VW CarNet. No such luck for Discover Media. CarPlay with Waze will pretty much make built in navigation and SiriusXM traffic data pointless anyway except the rare times you have no cell signal.

22. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 Jetta SEL
      07-11-2018 05:24 PM #70
      Yeah, I’m looking forward to iOS 12 update coming soon to use Waze in carplay!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23. n00b
      Vehicles
      2015 GSW TDI, 2003 Jetta 1.8T
      07-16-2018 05:07 PM #71
      TomTom had the following press release on January 6, 2015:
      "TomTom (TOM2) today announced an agreement to deliver maps to Volkswagen, one of the world’s leading car makers. Volkswagen will launch in-dash navigation systems with TomTom maps, starting with the new VW multimedia system in North America in Q2 2015. The system will be introduced across multiple car lines, including the Jetta, Passat and Beetle."
      It would seem that TomTom has been providing Maps to VW since Q2 of 2015, which might explain why it says "contact your local vw dealer for a map update" when visiting the HERE Navigation website and selecting a model year 2015 or higher. I purchased a new 2015 GSW TDI in May of 2017 which included NAR 2016/17 maps. The SD card says "VW Navigation AT North America (V6) 5G9 919 866M", but there was no SD card case, so I don't know if this came from TomTom or not. Oddly, when I checked with my dealer for an updated map a few months back, they said the most recent map update for my vehicle had a part number that was older than the one that's actually in the car now (ie. 2015 maps). Apparently, the maps I currently have do not exist yet, go figure! When I bought the car last May, I remember one of the dealership guys saying that VW is now using TomTom for its maps, as their previous supplier sucked.
      HERE (formerly Navteq) has dropped that ball with VW signing a deal with TomTom, but TomTom appears no better. One certainly can not go to the TomTom website for a map update. Unfortunately, everyone keep going around in circles, and dealerships say they have no control over 3rd party suppliers. My 10 year old Garmin Nuvi 760 with 2018 maps is looking better and better...

Last edited by Yodameister; 07-16-2018 at 05:45 PM.

Vehicles
      2016 Golf R Tech/DSG
      07-16-2018 06:34 PM #72
      Quote Originally Posted by Yodameister View Post
      One certainly can not go to the TomTom website for a map update. Unfortunately, everyone keep going around in circles, and dealerships say they have no control over 3rd party suppliers.
      Which is a shame because I have Tomtom MyDrive on my phone and it's got several recent roads opened in the last year in my area available.
      Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta Gti
      I lose brain cells coming in here everyday.

25. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 Jetta SEL
      01-29-2019 03:29 PM #73
      So in the Jetta/GLI Mk6 forum someone posted this about the Navigation map SD card updates:
      https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...p-update&pp=25

Basically this user contacted Anu Goel ([email protected]), VP of After sales for VWoA and reported back that they are not making navigation updates available for cars with Android Auto/Carplay for both USA and Canada.

A petition was started if anyone is interested and actually uses the in-built navigation on their MIB radios:

https://www.change.org/p/anu-c-goel-...b-1c5285830bf2

Even if you don't care sign it anyway, kind of sucks that a piece of hardware in your new car you expect to stay up to date is no longer supported!
      Last edited by builtospill; 01-29-2019 at 03:39 PM.

Vehicles
      2016 GTI Autobahn/PP/DSG/LP APR Stg 1 ECU/TCU
      01-30-2019 06:41 AM #74
      I signed.....who knows, maybe it'll spur some action from VW.

Vehicles
      '16 Golf R, '08 Z4M Coupé
      01-30-2019 11:12 AM #75

Well that's some serious BS.

We should all carpet bomb this Goel cat with complaints. Or maybe someone should reach out to a class action lawyer and we should get a lawsuit going. Basically he's saying that they are obsoleting an expensive piece of tech that we paid for, because they are lazy and hey, we gave you alternative functionality anyways, so you pesky customers can F off.

Meanwhile, Mazda provides 3 years of FREE map updates via download that can easily be installed by the car owner, and Kia just prompted us to download a free update for our 6-month-old Soul. I'm not suggesting that VW needs to give anything away for free, but there is NO excuse for map updates to not be available at some reasonable cost, because the mapping company they source their map data from is continuing to update the maps, as they all are! This is corporate laziness and lousy customer service, period/exclamation point.

'16 Golf R 6MT
      '08 Z4 M Coupé

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast