Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: The SmartHome/HomeAutomation thread

Vehicles
      2016 GTI SE CSG 6 SPD PP LP
      07-16-2019 01:12 PM #126
      Quote Originally Posted by Numbersix View Post
      I agree that Google's walling off Nest is not a good thing. I'm going to be pretty pissed if it no longer communicates with HomeKit, and they also kill the Nest app (especially given we have *9* Nest devices in our home).
      Wait... how are you using Nest with HomeKit? Unofficial integration?
      2016 GTI SE | 4DR CSG 6MT PP LP - Build Thread | My Garage
      -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Dinan | BBS | VWR | AWE | OBD11 | OEM+ and more...

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      09-08-2019 11:05 AM #127
      Quote Originally Posted by nicholam77 View Post
      Wait... how are you using Nest with HomeKit? Unofficial integration?
      Yep.

Vehicles
      '15 STi & '16 .:R
      09-08-2019 08:27 PM #128
      I’ve tried adding the Sonos speakers to HomeKit but Siri can never communicate with them for voice commands.
      iain

Vehicles
      Orig Owner 90 G60 & 02 Allroad 6Sp Man w/ 3rd Row Seat 07 3x White NB & 08 Yukon Denali XL to tow em
      09-08-2019 09:02 PM #129
      Just got this email from Lutron ...

http://business.lutron.info/webmail/...dd0c131c5742dc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      !! opɐɹɹoɔ ǝɥʇ!!ƃuıʇɔǝdsǝɹ !!!
      !! odarroɔ ǝht gnitɔepser !!

Vehicles
      09-16-2019 11:02 AM #130
      Yep.

Whoops I just went back a few posts and see you use Homebridge. I do, too, but my Nest tstat doesn't seem to have as many options as yours does. I am sharing it as a device through SmartThings hub, though. I know it will never happen, but it would be so awesome if there was native HomeKit support for Nest devices.

Quote Originally Posted by Hostile View Post
      I’ve tried adding the Sonos speakers to HomeKit but Siri can never communicate with them for voice commands.
      I think I've gotten this to work with my Sonos:One? Just using an iPhone I believe you can say things like "Hey Siri, play in the Kitchen" if there is already a stream playing, and it will add the One in the Kitchen to the Airplay 2 group. Play / Pause should work, too. I don't think you can request it to initiate anything outside of Apple Music, though, which is a bummer.

Quote Originally Posted by petethepug View Post
      Just got this email from Lutron ...

http://business.lutron.info/webmail/...dd0c131c5742dc

Uggg, I don't even have Lutron but I hate that Google is doing this. They are doing this under the guise of simplifying things and bringing it all under one roof, but not everyone wants all of their products to be Nest products. It's just an excuse to have a closed ecosystem. I think the best way forward for Smart Home devices is standardized, open protocols, and manufacturers that support them without restriction. It's a shame because I think Nest products are generally quite good, perform well, the app has good UI, and they look nice. But the closed walls are going to prevent me from continuing down that path. I am already disappointed that my Nest tstat basically works with nothing, officially, anymore. And on it's own... it's just not that "smart".

I think Lutron is an example of a company doing it right. They have their own hub for you to buy, yes. But they also let you use their stuff with HomeKit, and SmartThings via cloud-to-cloud, and they even have the new Aurora Dimmer with native integration with Hue.

Vehicles
      09-16-2019 11:52 AM #131
      I think I've gotten this to work with my Sonos:One? Just using an iPhone I believe you can say things like "Hey Siri, play in the Kitchen" if there is already a stream playing, and it will add the One in the Kitchen to the Airplay 2 group. Play / Pause should work, too. I don't think you can request it to initiate anything outside of Apple Music, though, which is a bummer.
      Every time I've tried it Siri tells me it can't find the device, even though it's listed and "working" in the HomeKit app.

Uggg, I don't even have Lutron but I hate that Google is doing this. They are doing this under the guise of simplifying things and bringing it all under one roof, but not everyone wants all of their products to be Nest products. It's just an excuse to have a closed ecosystem. I think the best way forward for Smart Home devices is standardized, open protocols, and manufacturers that support them without restriction. It's a shame because I think Nest products are generally quite good, perform well, the app has good UI, and they look nice. But the closed walls are going to prevent me from continuing down that path. I am already disappointed that my Nest tstat basically works with nothing, officially, anymore. And on it's own... it's just not that "smart".

I think Lutron is an example of a company doing it right. They have their own hub for you to buy, yes. But they also let you use their stuff with HomeKit, and SmartThings via cloud-to-cloud, and they even have the new Aurora Dimmer with native integration with Hue.
      I'm glad Ring is adding more and more compatible items through ZWave - like my Yale keypad deadbolt and some GE dimmable light switches that I still need to order.
      Last edited by Hostile; 09-16-2019 at 12:17 PM.
      iain

8. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      09-16-2019 12:13 PM #132
      Has anyone tried the new IKEA/Sonos speakers?

I'm quite curious about buying one given they are AirPlay 2 compatible.

I'm also eagerly awaiting the release of their connected blinds in the U.S.

Vehicles
      09-16-2019 12:21 PM #133

Pretty much all of Sonos' current products are AirPlay2 compatible now. It's the big reason we didn't go with a bunch of ceiling-installed speakers in our house when we built it.

The price alone of these IKEA speakers has me really interested. I would replace the nightstand lamps in our guest room with a set of those for stereo, maybe even in our bedroom. That would free up two of our Play Ones for use elsewhere.

If their new outdoor speakers weren't so idiotically expensive I've be buying a pair for our deck outside. But $800/pair is ludicrous...
      iain

Vehicles
      Orig Owner 90 G60 & 02 Allroad 6Sp Man w/ 3rd Row Seat 07 3x White NB & 08 Yukon Denali XL to tow em
      09-16-2019 12:22 PM #134
      I went with Lutron from the get go because of their time and stake on the commercial market. Nest and other start ups see the writing on the wall and cahing out to big brother.

The ceiling fan controller from Lutron shows their alive and thriving. Thank God for their development because a hardwired wall control or another jenky IR remote control of our fan was being dreaded.

Vehicles
      09-16-2019 12:24 PM #135
      I'll tell you what's janky, not painting the wall around that railing mount.

iain

Vehicles
      09-16-2019 02:49 PM #136
      Every time I've tried it Siri tells me it can't find the device, even though it's listed and "working" in the HomeKit app.

I'm glad Ring is adding more and more compatible items through ZWave - like my Yale keypad deadbolt and some GE dimmable light switches that I still need to order.
      Ah, bummer. Maybe the next Sonos update or iOS 13 drop in a few days will fix it for you.

I'm also eagerly awaiting the release of their connected blinds in the U.S.
      I am excited for these but blackout shades option only is a no-go for me. Maybe they will bring a cell-shade version to the U.S. eventually.

The price alone of these IKEA speakers has me really interested. I would replace the nightstand lamps in our guest room with a set of those for stereo, maybe even in our bedroom. That would free up two of our Play Ones for use elsewhere.

I'll just leave this here:

https://youtu.be/ZB413S8KDmo?list=WL&t=586

I haven't seen or heard the IKEA speaker in real life, but TL;DR according to this video the internal components are essentially that of a later gen Play:1.

I too am very interested in these based on price alone.

My biggest beef with Sonos is that they are overpriced. Not saying they are bad products, but I think they are simply too expensive. If the above video is correct, which it makes a good case for, the fact that you can get the same Sonos internals for 50% of the Play:1 / One, and that they can still make a margin while sharing with IKEA just goes to show how much their products are marked up.

That said I am happy to see that they came out with the One SL with no mic that can be paired with the One, for a slight discount.

Vehicles
      09-16-2019 03:38 PM #137
      We have an older Play:1 and the audio quality is still great, the only downside to is that it doesn't support Airplay2 natively so we have to group it with another Play One to get Airplay2 through it. No biggie, it's in our bedroom and it gets grouped through the One we have in our bathroom.

Personally, I don't think the Play Ones are over-priced at $200. Before these IKEA/Sonos speakers came out there was no cheaper AirPlay2 speaker on the market. At $200 the Sonos One was, literally, the cheapest one the market and anything that is now cheaper still doesn't sound as good. /shrug
      iain

Vehicles
      09-17-2019 10:12 AM #138
      I'll tell you what's janky, not painting the wall around that railing mount.

Rar! Primer before new stair rails arrive. There’s more places where 120V outlets on 2nd story cathedral ceilings used to have power cords braided through swag chains for tacky chandeliers. 1978 is calling you bobby brady.

15. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      09-17-2019 12:50 PM #139
      Pretty much all of Sonos' current products are AirPlay2 compatible now. It's the big reason we didn't go with a bunch of ceiling-installed speakers in our house when we built it.

If their new outdoor speakers weren't so idiotically expensive I've be buying a pair for our deck outside. But $800/pair is ludicrous...
      Agreed RE: outdoor speakers. I looked at those and had a 'hard no' moment on pricing. Same with their in-wall speakers...I don't really understand what they offer vs. just buying non-Sonos branded 'architectural' speakers from Sonance directly?

Vehicles
      09-17-2019 05:05 PM #140
      Agreed RE: outdoor speakers. I looked at those and had a 'hard no' moment on pricing. Same with their in-wall speakers...I don't really understand what they offer vs. just buying non-Sonos branded 'architectural' speakers from Sonance directly?
      Yea, especially since the architectural speakers don't even have the built-in connectivity like the other speakers have, you have to also buy the Amp product to get them to work with the Sonos ecosystem (or attach them to a receiver with AirPlay2). When we were building the house we had looked at the Amp but we would have needed one for every set of in-ceiling speakers we had installed to get them onto the Sonos ecosystem. At $500 per Amp that would have been about $3k easily, not even including all the speakers and wiring.

There is absolutely no reason to spend that much on those speakers. I can get a nice set of Martin Logan outdoor speakers for like $300/pair or Definitive Technologies for $400/pair from Crutchfield. $800 is just plain nuts.
      iain

17. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      09-17-2019 11:27 PM #141
      Quote Originally Posted by Hostile
      There is absolutely no reason to spend that much on those speakers. I can get a nice set of Martin Logan outdoor speakers for like $300/pair or Definitive Technologies for $400/pair from Crutchfield. $800 is just plain nuts.
      Agreed. I purchased all 9 speakers for our home theater system for under $600, and our 9 channel receiver was $500 on sale.

Vehicles
      09-18-2019 12:49 PM #142
      Got an email about new official SmartThings + Sonos integration for the SmartThings users on here:

https://community.smartthings.com/t/...gration/173197

Sounds like it might break some stuff if you're still on the Classic version of the app.

19. Senior Member LT1M21Stingray's Avatar
      Vehicles
      SR71 C30 t53a/b/b
      09-18-2019 01:22 PM #143
      I bought a couple of Philips Hue bulbs, including these. I live out in the sticks, and it is pich black at night. Gotta love coming home in the evening, and having SmartThings turn on lights in and around the house while I'm still in the car. Magic.

Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Madness
      Back when making your car faster and better handling was the big thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tavarish
      The car's best safety feature includes ejecting you in the moment of impact and wishing you the best of luck.
      Buy my couch!

Vehicles
      09-18-2019 04:59 PM #144
      They pay for themselves 100x over when you pull up and see the trash can knocked over when the light turns on. Those critical 30-40 seconds trying to pin together what’s going on is when you see the skunk walk away with a KFC scrap in its mouth.

Substitute bear, coyote or wolf as the animal depending on how far out you are in the sticks. At my house the light on and dog bark is usually a skunk.

Vehicles
      '76 2002, '89 964 C4, '18 Chevy Bolt
      09-20-2019 01:00 AM #145
      I've got a question for you all with 'smart homes' now. Have any of you moved or sold your home that you've installed these into?
      I just sold my house. I've got Wink hub, Ecobee smart thermostat, Arlo cameras, August smart locks and a ton of smart lights.

My plan is to leave the August, Ecobee and lights. Maybe leave the Wink too since all of our lights ran off it. When we move out, I'll reset all of this back to factory.
      The worry I have is with the accounts we have associated with them. I plan on getting another Wink hub and Ecobee thermostat. If I close my account I could open another, but their all tied to my email accounts and the last time I did something like this, I couldn't create a new account because the system said my email already existed.

Anyone run into this kind of problem and how'd you handle it?

Thanks!
      ...oh, just 'F it.

Vehicles
      09-20-2019 01:03 AM #146
      You don’t close the accounts you created in the cloud, you simply reset all the smart device back to factory. Maybe the new owner would like you to set it up on their newly created accounts and allow them to change passwords when you leave.

They’d be stoked.

Vehicles
      09-20-2019 11:50 AM #147
      If I sold my house I'd be taking all the smart home stuff with me. Put regular switches back, regular bulbs back, regular locks back. If anything maybe I'd leave the Ecobee and August locks.

Smart home is not for everybody. For some, it's more of a confusion / frustration / hassle than a convenience. If your buyer isn't interested in this stuff (not everyone is techy, wants to bark orders at Alexa, configure and manage a hub like Wink, etc), then it seems a waste to basically give it all away. Smart home gear is expensive.

Unless they've directly expressed interest of course, then you could work something out. Maybe it's a conversation to have with the buyer if you get the chance, see if they care one way or the other.

24. Senior Member LT1M21Stingray's Avatar
      Vehicles
      SR71 C30 t53a/b/b
      09-20-2019 05:29 PM #148
      If I sold my house I'd be taking all the smart home stuff with me. Put regular switches back, regular bulbs back, regular locks back.
      This. Every smart devices will come out of the old place.
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Madness
      Back when making your car faster and better handling was the big thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tavarish
      The car's best safety feature includes ejecting you in the moment of impact and wishing you the best of luck.
      Buy my couch!

Vehicles
      '76 2002, '89 964 C4, '18 Chevy Bolt
      09-21-2019 01:23 AM #149
      Quote Originally Posted by LT1M21Stingray View Post
      This. Every smart devices will come out of the old place.
      This was my initial thought and part of why I wanted to see what others would do in my situation.
      Once set back to factory, are there any residual personal identifiable information retained on the device from my usage or my account that would remain in the cloud?

I've been told that once the device is reset back to factory I should be safe. But I'm not sure.

The Ecobee thermostat and the Chamberlain garage opener will be the only devices I leave behind. Removing them would mean replacing them with other devices that would cost as much or more at this point.
      The Wink hub, August, cameras and everything else is coming with me.
      ...oh, just 'F it.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456