VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Driving from Metro NY/NJ?

27K views 34 replies 8 participants last post by  Jashcb7 
#1 ·
Anyone driving down from New Jersey or New York - Late Wednesday departure? :thumbup:

#3 ·
Considering it is 12-13 hrs to Fontana, I am planning on leaving between 12 and 2 am - driving 95 south - to drive through Baltimore and Washington well before rush hour on the DC beltway. I've taken 81 south in the past and the VASP intercepted several cruising cars with expen$ive results. I want to arrive in time to get a few refresher Dragon runs on Thursday.

:beer:

#4 ·
Leaving from NJ about 5am. Last year we went in a cruise of about 12 cars. It was good, but we all broke up into groups of 3-4 after a while. Keep your walkie talkies on channel 3 sub channel 2. This way, if you see another R you can ping them.

#7 ·
Considering your Thursday 5 am start, which route are you planning on taking?

#6 ·
It's looking like 5am on Thursday is a 2 to 1 favorite so far. This departure time could turn into an interesting cruise depending on the planned route! :D
How many other VWs from Metro NJ/NY are going south to drive the Dragon?

#8 ·
I forgot to mention, i am leaving Wednesday. I always go a day early. Being a 12 hour ride, i like to,get a few days in at the dragon.

Route wise, i didn't think about it yet.

:)

#9 ·
Business forces Thursday departure for me, and I appreciate the importance of weekday Dragon slaying. I considered the 95S cruise route which takes a mid-night departure to be past the Baltimore/Wash DC commuter traffic and arrives at Fontana early Thursday afternoon.

#10 ·
I'll be going south from Rhode Island,Not sure if im leaving Wednesday night or Thursday am.Last year I left R.I. about 4pm and made it to Knoxville for sunrise,which made it easier to get to Fontana with daylight after the long drive.
Walkie talkie on board CW MKV

#11 ·
Wednesday night, Thursday am - that's close to my game plan time wise, what route are you considering? The Wookies use channel 3 sub 2.

#16 ·
The Baltimore - Washington DC commuter traffic will ruin your cruise...... 81 is the best route. Be Safe see you there :beer:

#19 ·
CAPTAIN'S LOG 4182016

Update: Departed Wednesday @ 11:30 pm arrived Thursday @ 12:30 pm - managed to run 80% with a R32 driven by 3 Maniacs from Maine who took turns blasting through the night at 85+/- MPH. The drive down was a complete blast, thanks to a brilliant lead by the Maniacs, I hope their WITW was equally great, thanks guys.

This years WITW Organizers did an excellent job coordinating and hosting the event and a big thanks to Volkswagen for an excellent BBQ :beer:

My daily Dragon drives alternated with blasts on the Cherohala Skyway and ran the Skyway with a Wild Wookie Quartet of 2 R32s, a TTRS, and a 911 and managed to keep up as the tailgunner on the blast back to Robbinsville. Thanks for letting a Red Gti "tag along" it was great fun. I even managed a Sunday AM Dragon run on the way home, at 6:30 am when traffic is notably light on the Dragon. Flying low and solo, I was home by 6:30 p.m = don't ask, fortunately only one Sheriff pacing me at 65 mph and almost no traffic made the drive home almost as exciting as Wednesday night.

All in all, a simply fantastic adrenalin pumping time running with a great crew of dedicated Wookies. Now I have to wait for WITW 17 which won't be easy; but, if you are reading this you know exactly what I am talking about. :wave:

#29 ·
It's time to start planning for WITW 17 April 6-9. Last year departed Wednesday evening @ 11:00 pm for a night drive to Fontana Village and the Dragon. Wound up running with two other Dragonslayers, low profile night driving... How about WITW 17 - Wednesday Launch time?:laugh:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.