VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

NE Ohio 2016 Cruise to WiTW

21K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  MyBlueR32Turbo 
#1 ·
I am heading down from NE Ohio and would rather not make the trip solo. I have put together a plan that will allow for a NE Ohio Meet up, and then a meet up with others coming from Chicago and Western Michigan areas in Ky. Below are my plans. Everyone in the NE Ohio area looking to get an early start to the day is welcome to join up. Note that I am not in a hurry to get there, so I will be running within 5 mpg of posted speeds.

Start Location:
Travel Center of America
8834 Lake Rd, Seville, OH 44273
3:30 AM Thursday 14 April 2016

End Location:
Fontana Village Resort
Address: Fontana Village, 60 Fontana Rd
Fontana Dam, North Carolina 28733
1-800-849-2258

3:30 AM
Arrive at Seville OH, Travel Center of America
3:45 AM
Leave for Shell Food Mart, Delaplain Road, Georgetown, KY

7:45 AM
Arrive Shell Food Mart, Delaplain Road, Georgetown, KY
Meeting Chicago and East Side Michigan Folks

Continue following West-Michigan-2016-Cruise-to-WiTW agenda

See less See more
#4 ·
FV-QR

Jebus why are you leaving so early, just so you can try to meet that other group in KY? I would have to leave around 2:30 AM to meet you guys at the first stop.

I normally leave around 8-9AM and get down there right around 7-8, even with traffic. However, I don't normally make any stops except for gas and *maybe* a quick lunch stop (but usually not even that, I just snack on not-messy crap while driving). If I have to pee, I wait until the car needs gas...

With the 2.5T's ability to not suck gas, I'm looking forward to fewer stops / better mileage too. :D

I basically consider Thursday a travel day, and don't see the point of kicking your own ass to leave so early. You end up arriving earlier, but you're so sick and tired of driving you just want to crash / drink / relax when you get down there. You can do that just as easily at 6-7-8pm as you can at 1pm, and then you're at least not driving half-asleep much of the time.

That's just one guy's opinion who has been attending since 2009 though.

#5 ·
Jebus why are you leaving so early, just so you can try to meet that other group in KY? I would have to leave around 2:30 AM to meet you guys at the first stop.

I normally leave around 8-9AM and get down there right around 7-8, even with traffic. However, I don't normally make any stops except for gas and *maybe* a quick lunch stop (but usually not even that, I just snack on not-messy crap while driving). If I have to pee, I wait until the car needs gas...

With the 2.5T's ability to not suck gas, I'm looking forward to fewer stops / better mileage too. :D

I basically consider Thursday a travel day, and don't see the point of kicking your own ass to leave so early. You end up arriving earlier, but you're so sick and tired of driving you just want to crash / drink / relax when you get down there. You can do that just as easily at 6-7-8pm as you can at 1pm, and then you're at least not driving half-asleep much of the time.

That's just one guy's opinion who has been attending since 2009 though.

lol. I will probably be running this schedule all by myself, but I am an early guy.

#6 ·
FV-QR

That's the irony of it, I'm so much of a night owl that I'm normally just going to bed around 4-5AM. Leaving at 2:30 would not be a problem for me at all... but by the end of it I'd be dying, and coming in via the dragon while fighting off sleep isn't my idea of a good time. I do like that your plan avoids rush hour everywhere though, and at those crazy hours the only thing on the road should be truckers... which is kind of awesome because no other cars, and occasionally terrible (through KY and TN - they try to pass each other on uphill grades and you're stuck behind their stupidity doing 60mph for 5 minutes).

I have basically "all the radars and lasers" and I tend to move at a good clip, so slow traffic in the left lane really annoys me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.