VWVortex.com - NE Ohio 2016 Cruise to WiTW
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Results 1 to 11 of 11

    Thread: NE Ohio 2016 Cruise to WiTW

    1. Member 20AE3600's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 13th, 2004
      Location
      NE Ohio
      Posts
      619
      Vehicles
      '04 BMP .:R32 : '03 TDI Jetta : Previous '04 TR .:R32, '03 IY 20th GTI, '03 TDI Jetta ,'87 Jetta GLI
      02-17-2016 01:06 PM #1
      I am heading down from NE Ohio and would rather not make the trip solo. I have put together a plan that will allow for a NE Ohio Meet up, and then a meet up with others coming from Chicago and Western Michigan areas in Ky. Below are my plans. Everyone in the NE Ohio area looking to get an early start to the day is welcome to join up. Note that I am not in a hurry to get there, so I will be running within 5 mpg of posted speeds.


      Start Location:
      Travel Center of America
      8834 Lake Rd, Seville, OH 44273
      3:30 AM Thursday 14 April 2016

      End Location:
      Fontana Village Resort
      Address: Fontana Village, 60 Fontana Rd
      Fontana Dam, North Carolina 28733
      1-800-849-2258


      3:30 AM
      Arrive at Seville OH, Travel Center of America
      3:45 AM
      Leave for Shell Food Mart, Delaplain Road, Georgetown, KY


      7:45 AM
      Arrive Shell Food Mart, Delaplain Road, Georgetown, KY
      Meeting Chicago and East Side Michigan Folks

      Continue following West-Michigan-2016-Cruise-to-WiTW agenda
      I have nothing witty to add here

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. Junior Member PillsHere's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 11th, 2012
      Location
      Lakewood, Oh
      Posts
      58
      Vehicles
      1971 Triumph TR-6, 2007 Jetta "Ute", 2012 Golf R
      02-26-2016 02:52 PM #2
      I like this plan. I will be coming down with at least one other GoRf and a RX7 from Lakewood/CLE. If I can convince the others to wake up early, should be game to do this run. Keep me updated.

    4. Member 20AE3600's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 13th, 2004
      Location
      NE Ohio
      Posts
      619
      Vehicles
      '04 BMP .:R32 : '03 TDI Jetta : Previous '04 TR .:R32, '03 IY 20th GTI, '03 TDI Jetta ,'87 Jetta GLI
      02-27-2016 08:37 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by PillsHere View Post
      I like this plan. I will be coming down with at least one other GoRf and a RX7 from Lakewood/CLE. If I can convince the others to wake up early, should be game to do this run. Keep me updated.
      Hopefully you can convince the others. Unless something unexpected comes up...this is my plan.
      I have nothing witty to add here

    5. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    6. Member ZPrime's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 7th, 2006
      Location
      [216 / 440] Mayfield Heights, OH
      Posts
      3,752
      Vehicles
      2012 Audi TT RS [prev: 2008 R32 #3603/5000]
      03-30-2016 01:25 AM #4
      Jebus why are you leaving so early, just so you can try to meet that other group in KY? I would have to leave around 2:30 AM to meet you guys at the first stop.

      I normally leave around 8-9AM and get down there right around 7-8, even with traffic. However, I don't normally make any stops except for gas and *maybe* a quick lunch stop (but usually not even that, I just snack on not-messy crap while driving). If I have to pee, I wait until the car needs gas...

      With the 2.5T's ability to not suck gas, I'm looking forward to fewer stops / better mileage too.

      I basically consider Thursday a travel day, and don't see the point of kicking your own ass to leave so early. You end up arriving earlier, but you're so sick and tired of driving you just want to crash / drink / relax when you get down there. You can do that just as easily at 6-7-8pm as you can at 1pm, and then you're at least not driving half-asleep much of the time.

      That's just one guy's opinion who has been attending since 2009 though.
      ["OG" Mk5 R32 Club Member 5/3/2008-5/4/2015] Traded [PARTOUT HERE] --> [2012 Sepang Blue TT RS] Traded --> 2018 Long Beach Blue BMW M2
      I'm a tech nerd and radar/lidar countermeasure enthusiast. I like track days, autocross, and US Highway 129. I love aural pleasure.
      WitW || I UM || PerformanceLEDs FTW

    7. Member 20AE3600's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 13th, 2004
      Location
      NE Ohio
      Posts
      619
      Vehicles
      '04 BMP .:R32 : '03 TDI Jetta : Previous '04 TR .:R32, '03 IY 20th GTI, '03 TDI Jetta ,'87 Jetta GLI
      03-30-2016 05:50 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by ZPrime View Post
      Jebus why are you leaving so early, just so you can try to meet that other group in KY? I would have to leave around 2:30 AM to meet you guys at the first stop.

      I normally leave around 8-9AM and get down there right around 7-8, even with traffic. However, I don't normally make any stops except for gas and *maybe* a quick lunch stop (but usually not even that, I just snack on not-messy crap while driving). If I have to pee, I wait until the car needs gas...

      With the 2.5T's ability to not suck gas, I'm looking forward to fewer stops / better mileage too.

      I basically consider Thursday a travel day, and don't see the point of kicking your own ass to leave so early. You end up arriving earlier, but you're so sick and tired of driving you just want to crash / drink / relax when you get down there. You can do that just as easily at 6-7-8pm as you can at 1pm, and then you're at least not driving half-asleep much of the time.

      That's just one guy's opinion who has been attending since 2009 though.



      lol. I will probably be running this schedule all by myself, but I am an early guy.
      I have nothing witty to add here

    8. Member ZPrime's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 7th, 2006
      Location
      [216 / 440] Mayfield Heights, OH
      Posts
      3,752
      Vehicles
      2012 Audi TT RS [prev: 2008 R32 #3603/5000]
      03-30-2016 06:28 PM #6
      That's the irony of it, I'm so much of a night owl that I'm normally just going to bed around 4-5AM. Leaving at 2:30 would not be a problem for me at all... but by the end of it I'd be dying, and coming in via the dragon while fighting off sleep isn't my idea of a good time. I do like that your plan avoids rush hour everywhere though, and at those crazy hours the only thing on the road should be truckers... which is kind of awesome because no other cars, and occasionally terrible (through KY and TN - they try to pass each other on uphill grades and you're stuck behind their stupidity doing 60mph for 5 minutes).

      I have basically "all the radars and lasers" and I tend to move at a good clip, so slow traffic in the left lane really annoys me.
      ["OG" Mk5 R32 Club Member 5/3/2008-5/4/2015] Traded [PARTOUT HERE] --> [2012 Sepang Blue TT RS] Traded --> 2018 Long Beach Blue BMW M2
      I'm a tech nerd and radar/lidar countermeasure enthusiast. I like track days, autocross, and US Highway 129. I love aural pleasure.
      WitW || I UM || PerformanceLEDs FTW

    9. Member ZPrime's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 7th, 2006
      Location
      [216 / 440] Mayfield Heights, OH
      Posts
      3,752
      Vehicles
      2012 Audi TT RS [prev: 2008 R32 #3603/5000]
      03-30-2016 07:03 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by PillsHere View Post
      I like this plan. I will be coming down with at least one other GoRf and a RX7 from Lakewood/CLE. If I can convince the others to wake up early, should be game to do this run. Keep me updated.
      If you can't get them to wake up this early, I will probably be going at a more sane time...
      ["OG" Mk5 R32 Club Member 5/3/2008-5/4/2015] Traded [PARTOUT HERE] --> [2012 Sepang Blue TT RS] Traded --> 2018 Long Beach Blue BMW M2
      I'm a tech nerd and radar/lidar countermeasure enthusiast. I like track days, autocross, and US Highway 129. I love aural pleasure.
      WitW || I UM || PerformanceLEDs FTW

    10. Member
      Join Date
      Dec 31st, 2015
      Location
      Cincinnati, OH
      Posts
      265
      Vehicles
      2016 LSG Golf R
      03-30-2016 10:51 PM #8
      A couple of us are meeting at the Shell station at exit 175 off of I75 in northern Kentucky at 1pm Thursday. This is the Big Bone Lick state park exit.
      If you're traveling this stretch around 1p you are welcome to join our caravan.

    11. Junior Member PillsHere's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 11th, 2012
      Location
      Lakewood, Oh
      Posts
      58
      Vehicles
      1971 Triumph TR-6, 2007 Jetta "Ute", 2012 Golf R
      04-06-2016 07:28 PM #9
      We definitely are not leaving at 3 am now, gotta work till 11pm the night before...

      Currently, we will be leaving around 530-6am from Lakewood.

    12. Member 20AE3600's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 13th, 2004
      Location
      NE Ohio
      Posts
      619
      Vehicles
      '04 BMP .:R32 : '03 TDI Jetta : Previous '04 TR .:R32, '03 IY 20th GTI, '03 TDI Jetta ,'87 Jetta GLI
      04-10-2016 06:09 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by PillsHere View Post
      We definitely are not leaving at 3 am now, gotta work till 11pm the night before...

      Currently, we will be leaving around 530-6am from Lakewood.
      That's cool. I may be doing this drive on my own until KY.
      I have nothing witty to add here

    13. 04-13-2016 10:33 PM #11
      Im leaving columbus tomorrow around 10am anyone interested in joining me can text or call 6143120737 cesar

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •