VWVortex.com - Does Anyone Still Use DAT?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Does Anyone Still Use DAT?

Vehicles
      03 Passat and a 05 T&C, Cadillac of minivans
      03-02-2016 02:55 PM #1
      Howdy. I was wondering if anyone still uses DAT? I still have a D7 and D8 that have been in a bin of audio gear under my stairs and it got me thinking how antiqued this technology might be.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2002 GTI
      03-03-2016 12:33 AM #2
      I'm sure plenty of people do, I've even thought about buying a small DAT player before when they pop up on CL. But I think for the most part it's dead technology as if you are recording digital it's just as easy to record into a computer now, and make as many backups as you want with a few mouse clicks. I see reel to reels and other quality analog gear coming back as people like the warmth of recording the bass and what not on tape.

Vehicles
      2014 Focus
      03-04-2016 10:36 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by hithard02 View Post
      I'm sure plenty of people do, I've even thought about buying a small DAT player before when they pop up on CL. But I think for the most part it's dead technology as if you are recording digital it's just as easy to record into a computer now, and make as many backups as you want with a few mouse clicks. I see reel to reels and other quality analog gear coming back as people like the warmth of recording the bass and what not on tape.
      And how. There are at least 3 new tape echo delays on the market now for guitar effects. I can't even afford an $800 amp right now though, much less spend that much on a delay. Carbon Copy it is then!
      Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Leary
      The universe is an intelligence test.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      2004 VW Golf R32 DeepBluePerleffekt (B5R)
      03-26-2016 11:40 AM #4
      no,i do have a CD-R machine, though. i always wanted a DAT deck back when they were a new technology.they were pretty cool. do you know if they were susceptible to tape stretch/eating tapes if/when the drive system malfunctioned?
      I my R32
      it's the best VW evar!
      Mind-Blowing List of Mods: Dark Charcoal tinted front side markers & blinkers.Fifteen52 Chicanes w/ Conti DWS tires.Powerflex+Koni FSD shocks w/ OEM US R32 springs.EBC Redstuff pads w/StopTech drilled discs.Gloss Black painted stock front grille & mirror caps.

7. Banned
      Vehicles
      German/American/Italian
      05-29-2016 07:00 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by gruppe-b View Post
      no,i do have a CD-R machine, though. i always wanted a DAT deck back when they were a new technology.they were pretty cool. do you know if they were susceptible to tape stretch/eating tapes if/when the drive system malfunctioned?
      Yes and tape drives really hated excess heat.

8. 08-19-2016 03:06 PM #6
      My DA-30 keeps my rack from moving anywhere.
      --
      2016 Discount Brand S3 | 1987 Peugeot PB-18 | 1986 Mid-Engine Supercar

Vehicles
      2005 Jetta Wagon TDI manuel 1.5 Malone, 2014 Tiguan 4MO
      08-31-2016 03:45 PM #7
      I recently found an HP DAT machine for the PC. I have a couple of blank Sony DAT tapes but it doesn't seem to be compatible, even though it fits. I'm not into recording music or anything but thought I could fool around with it a bit.

10. 02-13-2020 02:46 PM #8
      Still using my Sony PCM-R500 purchased new in 1999.

Initially used as the Master Deck in my home studio, These days it serves as the "tape deck" in my main home system/