Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Big brakes on B7s

1. 05-28-2020 07:58 AM #51
      Yep.
      ALL single piston Calipers, even the bigger R32 fronts.

This is why I won't be going this route when I finally upgrade. I'm sure the larger diameter rotors and larger pads provide better stop and feel than OEMs, but
      truly good upgrades will have more pistons per caliper to spread out the pressure more evenly over the surface area of the pads.

This will give more feel through the pedal, and ultimately create fewer hot spots and glazing.

Been through this on several cars before.

gr

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 05-29-2020 05:15 PM #52
      I like the size on your wheels too.

4. 05-30-2020 08:18 PM #53
      I hate the stock brakes the Passat comes with. Upgraded to 17z calipers and couldn't be happier. Just need to get the rear to match.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 Jetta TDI, 2015 Passat TDI
      05-30-2020 09:55 PM #54
      Quote Originally Posted by LapizB7 View Post
      I hate the stock brakes the Passat comes with. Upgraded to 17z calipers and couldn't be happier. Just need to get the rear to match.

What's the pedal travel like with the 17Z's? That was one concern I had was the increased volume the 17/18Z calipers have in relation to the stroke volume of the stock master.

Just an FYI for other that might be considering the R32/B6 Passat front caliper swap is IIRC the piston dia. is slightly lager....but as I've said in the past the 2pc R32/Passat caliper body is huge....with only a small increase in piston dia. and the pads are not much bigger. Your basically only getting increased leverage on the rotor and the rotor becoming a bigger heat sink vs. the OEM Passat 312mm brake set-up

6. 05-31-2020 07:47 AM #55
      But in reality, the brake system IS one big Heat Sink!

Having those bigger rotors is the biggest difference you can make overall to the system to dissipate heat and keep the pads from fading, and heat soaking through to the brake fluid.

But I still would prefer to have more pistons in my calipers.

Good question on the compatibility of the Master Cyl. being able to handle the 17z's.

Pretty sure I've read enough threads confirming the Master IS compatible with the VW BBK off the R32.

gr

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 Jetta TDI, 2015 Passat TDI
      05-31-2020 09:36 PM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider990 View Post
      But in reality, the brake system IS one big Heat Sink!

Having those bigger rotors is the biggest difference you can make overall to the system to dissipate heat and keep the pads from fading, and heat soaking through to the brake fluid.

But I still would prefer to have more pistons in my calipers.

Good question on the compatibility of the Master Cyl. being able to handle the 17z's.

Pretty sure I've read enough threads confirming the Master IS compatible with the VW BBK off the R32.

gr
      Yes, the MC is fairly compatible because the (single) piston is IIRC only about 2mm larger on the R32/Passat 4-MO. The 17Z and 18Z I believe have a few combinations of piston sizes depending on the vehicle they were on/or get pirated from and the combined volumes can be quite significant. And as always more (smaller pistons) help to distribute a more even pressure across more of the pads surface area to rotor contact (that goes for for any given pad size...unless piston size equals pad size of coarse). But if the calipers volume needs exceeds the stroke volume of the master you will end up with extended brake pedal travel (feel). The calipers may still offer a more powerful feel (greater and more even clamping force on the rotor) but with more pedal travel.

The larger rotors do absorb more heat, aiding in fade resistance but I highly doubt anyone will require that on the street...track day is a different matter. On the street the difference should be increased stopping power/feel via the leverage effect. And yes, with the right pad one can obtain a significant feel in improved stopping power, but those same pad compounds combined with larger diameter rotors will expound on that effect. Also, I will add some of this is for the appearance side of the spectrum, it's nice to fill in the void between brakes and wheel >> which leads to another side of the spectrum. Once we add larger diameter wheels (which may have an increased combined static weight not to mention dynamic weight once things get rolling) larger/better brakes become more of an importance.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123