VWVortex.com - Tesla Model 3 prototype revealed - On-sale in late 2017 with a 215-mile minimum range and a base price of $35,000
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 262 of 265 FirstFirst ... 162212252258259260261262263264265 LastLast
    Results 6,526 to 6,550 of 6609

Thread: Tesla Model 3 prototype revealed - On-sale in late 2017 with a 215-mile minimum range and a base price of $35,000

West Coast, not that west coast. Bay area, not that bay area.
      Vehicles
      16 Cayman GTS, 16 Colorado Crew, 17 Escape, 09 Versys, 2017 Barracuda
      06-04-2019 01:41 PM #6526
      Quote Originally Posted by Egz View Post
      Coming Soon to a S, 3, and X: Cuphead!

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/e...ming-to-tesla/

And this is useful in what way? Kill the boredom while you sit at a supercharger waiting?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      '94 Miata - '16 RAV4 - '10 Prius
      06-07-2019 08:18 AM #6527
      The TFL Model 3 fender bender repair is going slooooooowwwwwww.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      Toyota Sienna Crossover SUV,Nissan GT-R
      06-07-2019 09:12 AM #6528
      Lets start chipping away at the myth that owning a passenger car will ever be environmentally friendly. I'm sure the body shop owners could chip and show us their trash dumpsters.

06-07-2019 09:31 AM #6529
      Quote Originally Posted by driveareliablecar View Post
      Lets start chipping away at the myth that owning a passenger car will ever be environmentally friendly. I'm sure the body shop owners could chip and show us their trash dumpsters.
      Ah yes, the old standby of "If something isn't absolutely zero impact, it's worthless and I may as well roll coal."

Vehicles
      '94 Miata - '16 RAV4 - '10 Prius
      06-07-2019 09:39 AM #6530
      Quote Originally Posted by AZGolf View Post
      Ah yes, the old standby of "If something isn't absolutely zero impact, it's worthless and I may as well roll coal."
      Same arguments we used to have (still do, sometimes( about Hybrids. It's been fun watching TCL progress over the last 19 years, we're getting there.

7. Senior Member
      06-07-2019 09:44 AM #6531
      Quote Originally Posted by driveareliablecar View Post
      For giggles tried to read the size of the dumpster at the body shop next to me on the way in. I couldn't see but shaped like a 5yard. It comes once a week. Their scrap dumpster is a full roll off container, not sure how often that's swapped out. Not sure what happens with the plastic bumpers, there are people here who do body shop related work that might know. They seem to pile up for a while then vanish one day here.

Sadly getting cardboard pickup here commercially is near impossible so lots of that 5 yard is actually recyclable cardboard, same with the 4yd the shop next time mine has.

Vehicles
      F30, RX-8 R3 (sold), Tesla Model 3
      06-07-2019 11:24 AM #6532
      Quote Originally Posted by Sporin View Post

I have to hand it to them; they know how to get clicks. First the pissing match with Subaru and now this.

Vehicles
      '19 Tesla Model 3P, '15 BMW i3 BEV, '01 Lotus Elise S2
      06-07-2019 05:08 PM #6533
      Meanwhile on Norwegian boards

flick
      r
      | Listen to No Agenda!

Quote Originally Posted by thisisdog View Post
      The internet has gotten significantly better since Russians started buying video cameras.

Vehicles
      2017 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited, 2013 Hyundai Elantra Limited
      06-07-2019 07:08 PM #6534
      Quote Originally Posted by Dawg Dee-Lux View Post

"Of course that's just my opinion; I could be wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by The Igneous Faction
      Have you ever popped the hood on a powerstroke E350?
      Quote Originally Posted by WhistlerYOW
      No, I got good grades in school

Vehicles
      BlueStar, NA, V227
      06-07-2019 07:29 PM #6535
      Quote Originally Posted by Dawg Dee-Lux View Post

"The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering."
      - Doctor Who (Fourth Doctor) "Face of Evil"

Vehicles
      06-09-2019 01:49 PM #6536
      So, me and a friend took it to the track to see whats what. Came back impressed. Only complaint are soft seats, slightly roly poly body roll and lack of track side Super Chargers. One session of 20 minutes would eat 30% charge, so we drove to the nearest 50kW quick charger, some 20km away to top up between sessions. Best to keep it in the 70-90% band to get the best performance.

No brake fade, kept up with traffic easily enough, used only track mode, and managed to kick the tail end out on a few occasions. Was a bit defensive and let people pass without let or hindrance, but still, the interesting takeaway was that many was willing to go to great lengths not to be outdone by the EV. We saw a lot of strange things happening first corner after passing us.

No video this time, will bring a GoPro next time.

Car is covered in a temporary paint protection solution called Road Warrior Plus, that's why it looks like crap from the front.

flick
      r
      | Listen to No Agenda!

The internet has gotten significantly better since Russians started buying video cameras.

Vehicles
      Clownshoe, Tesla 3
      06-11-2019 01:54 PM #6537
      Nice, sounds like a great time! My last track day was at Laguna Seca, and we had, I think 3 Model 3s, and 2 Model S. I think they went to a nearby supercharger at lunch. The 3s are EXTREMELY quick on the track. They don't seem prone to the overheating issues the S has.

Our 3 just passed 15,000mi in 10 months; it's our commuter (my partner and I carpool to work).

To help balance out my environmental friendliness, I'm buying an X5 diesel from a friend this week

Heading out to Norway next week; Midnight Sun Half Marathon in Tromso, then 10 days from Tromso to the Lofoten. Then a few days doing Oslo/Flam/Bergen.

Sadly, I emailed the Tesla service center in Oslo, and they cannot sell me a euro driver's side mirror glass. Only the whole mirror (housing, motor, etc). I bloody hate the US mirrors, and they're particularly bad on the 3. I have a really bad blind spot, the mirror won't adjust far enough outwards, either, which doesn't help.
      Last edited by smoothsix; 06-11-2019 at 01:56 PM.
      Dash cam people suck. Don't be a dash cam person.

Quote Originally Posted by Dravenport View Post
      this thread is a mess, I can't tell if it's full of trolls or idiots and I'm not sure it matters

06-11-2019 06:09 PM #6538
      Quote Originally Posted by smoothsix View Post
      Sadly, I emailed the Tesla service center in Oslo, and they cannot sell me a euro driver's side mirror glass. Only the whole mirror (housing, motor, etc). I bloody hate the US mirrors, and they're particularly bad on the 3. I have a really bad blind spot, the mirror won't adjust far enough outwards, either, which doesn't help.
      Does the Model 3 have blindspot monitoring? I know the Honda Civic does thanks to the Honda Sensing pack.

15. Member
      Vehicles
      63 190Dc, 82 Hilux, 82 Rabbit, 00 Insight, 05 Prius, 07 Prius, 1/2 12 Prius, 18 Model 3
      06-11-2019 06:50 PM #6539
      Does the Model 3 have blindspot monitoring? I know the Honda Civic does thanks to the Honda Sensing pack.
      It does. When Tesla first rolled it out, it was great because you would get an audible alert and the lane lines would turn red if the car thought there was something in your blind spot. Now that Tesla's also rolled out auto steering correction, the car will sometimes try to steer you back into the lane you're leaving if it doesn't think there's enough room, which is annoying because it tends to think larger vehicles (tractor trailers/etc) are much closer than they actually are. The steering is fairly easy to override, so I don't think it's a safety issue, just the car being too much of a nanny.

Vehicles
      Handed in my car enthusiast 'card'.
      06-11-2019 07:21 PM #6540
      It’s not a great system since the indicators are in the only screen available....

06-11-2019 09:37 PM #6541
      Quote Originally Posted by someguy123 View Post
      It’s not a great system since the indicators are in the only screen available....
      I don't even look at the blinky lights, I glance over my shoulder while hitting the turn signal. I'm paying attention for the beep of the blind spot warning. If I see nothing in my mirror, over my shoulder, and hear no beep, then it's almost certainly clear. I do not specifically look for the little amber icon on a screen or mirror corner.

18. Member
      Vehicles
      63 190Dc, 82 Hilux, 82 Rabbit, 00 Insight, 05 Prius, 07 Prius, 1/2 12 Prius, 18 Model 3
      06-12-2019 12:14 AM #6542
      Quote Originally Posted by someguy123 View Post
      There's audio feedback too.The 15" center screen's about 4-5 times larger than the usual 7" screens in most cars.

Vehicles
      06-12-2019 06:17 AM #6543
      Nice, sounds like a great time! My last track day was at Laguna Seca, and we had, I think 3 Model 3s, and 2 Model S. I think they went to a nearby supercharger at lunch. The 3s are EXTREMELY quick on the track. They don't seem prone to the overheating issues the S has.

Our 3 just passed 15,000mi in 10 months; it's our commuter (my partner and I carpool to work).

To help balance out my environmental friendliness, I'm buying an X5 diesel from a friend this week

Heading out to Norway next week; Midnight Sun Half Marathon in Tromso, then 10 days from Tromso to the Lofoten. Then a few days doing Oslo/Flam/Bergen.

That sounds like a great trip! Well, apart from that running bit. If you are up for it and/or have the time, I'd be happy to meet up in Oslo.
      Last edited by Dawg Dee-Lux; 06-12-2019 at 06:37 AM.

flick
      r
      | Listen to No Agenda!

Vehicles
      Handed in my car enthusiast 'card'.
      06-12-2019 10:21 AM #6544
      Quote Originally Posted by lyeinyoureye View Post
      There's audio feedback too.The 15" center screen's about 4-5 times larger than the usual 7" screens in most cars.
      I’m used to my mirrors lighting up so I already know a car is in my blind spot and no need to signal and freak the other guy out.

Vehicles
      Clownshoe, Tesla 3
      06-12-2019 11:36 AM #6545
      As far as I can tell, BSW doesn't really work. Sometimes when my wife's driving I notice the red line or red car on the screen but I'm sure as hell not looking down at the screen when I'm driving. I've almost never heard it beep, it sounds like it's worked better in some software revs than others, and I, too, would prefer not to signal just to find out if a car's there or not.

I paid extra for all the safety features when I bought my Golf R, too, but I never really used BSW on that either, even though it's in the mirrors. I just don't trust it. I don't know how it's accounting for faster moving traffic, I don't have a good sense for what area the system is designed to cover, and what overlap it does or doesn't have with my mirrors. Sometimes the light is on and there's room. Sometimes, presumably, the light is off, and I'd rather not chance it. The mirrors are the correct solution. Between the two mirrors and of course looking out my side window, I should be able to get a complete picture of what I'm about to merge into. My brain can form a complete picture of the risk that way.

All new cars have fairly crap visibility -- the Golf was bad, particularly with the rear headrests installed, but I fixed it with the euro glass on the driver's side. The 3 is even worse; the high rear deck means the rear 3/4 view is terrible, and the driver's mirror is basically useless. The passenger one is fine, but it took me 10,000 miles to really 'trust' the view since the rearview is so compromised, both from a rearview mirror and shoulder check perspective, due to the sky-high rear deck. (typically you cannot even see the headlights of the car behind you).

It's really my only complaint about the car, and I know I sound a bit old-man-yells-at-cloud, but I haven't owned newer cars until very recently.

That sounds like a great trip! Well, apart from that running bit. If you are up for it and/or have the time, I'd be happy to meet up in Oslo.
      thanks for the invite, will ping you if it looks like I'll have time.
      Dash cam people suck. Don't be a dash cam person.

Quote Originally Posted by Dravenport View Post
      this thread is a mess, I can't tell if it's full of trolls or idiots and I'm not sure it matters

Vehicles
      06-12-2019 11:44 AM #6546
      As far as I can tell, BSW doesn't really work. Sometimes when my wife's driving I notice the red line or red car on the screen but I'm sure as hell not looking down at the screen when I'm driving. I've almost never heard it beep, it sounds like it's worked better in some software revs than others, and I, too, would prefer not to signal just to find out if a car's there or not.

I paid extra for all the safety features when I bought my Golf R, too, but I never really used BSW on that either, even though it's in the mirrors. I just don't trust it. I don't know how it's accounting for faster moving traffic, I don't have a good sense for what area the system is designed to cover, and what overlap it does or doesn't have with my mirrors. Sometimes the light is on and there's room. Sometimes, presumably, the light is off, and I'd rather not chance it. The mirrors are the correct solution. Between the two mirrors and of course looking out my side window, I should be able to get a complete picture of what I'm about to merge into. My brain can form a complete picture of the risk that way.

All new cars have fairly crap visibility -- the Golf was bad, particularly with the rear headrests installed, but I fixed it with the euro glass on the driver's side. The 3 is even worse; the high rear deck means the rear 3/4 view is terrible, and the driver's mirror is basically useless. The passenger one is fine, but it took me 10,000 miles to really 'trust' the view since the rearview is so compromised, both from a rearview mirror and shoulder check perspective, due to the sky-high rear deck. (typically you cannot even see the headlights of the car behind you).

It's really my only complaint about the car, and I know I sound a bit old-man-yells-at-cloud, but I haven't owned newer cars until very recently.
      I don't know how Tesla does their BSW but on normal cars they use the side parking sensors. They work well on the Ford Escape we have. Having the light in the mirrors also makes you look at your mirrors rather than just some center screen. You don't rely on the technology as much. But they aren't going to account for fast moving traffic coming up in an adjacent lane. You need to see that guy in your mirrors.

Vehicles
      2017 BMW i3, 2018 Clarity, 2019 Model 3
      06-12-2019 11:57 AM #6547
      Quote Originally Posted by spockcat View Post
      I don't know how Tesla does their BSW but on normal cars they use the side parking sensors. They work well on the Ford Escape we have. Having the light in the mirrors also makes you look at your mirrors rather than just some center screen. You don't rely on the technology as much. But they aren't going to account for fast moving traffic coming up in an adjacent lane. You need to see that guy in your mirrors.
      I think Tesla uses the cameras because of the screen it correctly animates what is next to you. A motorcycle is actually shown as one, same with a person, car, pickup and so on. But I think Tesla should have used a light in the mirror forcing you to look that way. I think its safer too.
      Slow Car Fast

Vehicles
      06-15-2019 02:29 PM #6548
      Quote Originally Posted by Sporin View Post

They are still waiting for their car to get fixed.

Here is a good video interview of another Model 3 owner who also owns a 2008 BMW M3. He has had to use the BMW as a backup car when waiting for parts on his Model 3. Yes, an 11 year old M3 is "more reliable" transportation.

25. I need new ones NeverEnoughCars's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Dodge, Toyota, VW, Ford
      06-15-2019 02:35 PM #6549
      Quote Originally Posted by spockcat View Post
      He has had to use the BMW as a backup car when waiting for parts on his Model 3. Yes, an 11 year old M3 is "more reliable" transportation.
      Well yeah. He had probably already replaced most of the parts at least once. It should be like new every few years.
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post
      Pedantry: winning arguments through exasperation since 1651. An Old World Tradition!
      "Now i am become death the destroyer of worlds."-bhagavad gita
      “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” -T.S. Eliot

Vehicles
      06-15-2019 03:14 PM #6550
      TFL drive an AWD Prius against their Model 3 from Boulder to Estes Park and back (90 mile round trip), then compares fuel costs of gas versus supercharging. Skip to 24:03 to see which is less expensive.

Granted if the charging were done at home, at nighttime rates, it would be considerably less than the Supercharger's rates. If you were an apartment dweller without home charging access and only supercharger access that wouldn't help. If you are traveling on a longer trip, you would have to use a Supercharger (or maybe you could find a hotel with free destination charging?). Also, time to refuel the Prius was 3 minutes. It was 35 minutes to recharge the Tesla.

Page 262 of 265 FirstFirst ... 162212252258259260261262263264265 LastLast