VWVortex.com - Tesla Model 3 prototype revealed - On-sale in late 2017 with a 215-mile minimum range and a base price of $35,000
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 277 of 278 FirstFirst ... 177227267273274275276277278 LastLast
    Results 6,901 to 6,925 of 6926

Thread: Tesla Model 3 prototype revealed - On-sale in late 2017 with a 215-mile minimum range and a base price of $35,000

08-06-2019 07:55 PM #6901
      Quote Originally Posted by spockcat View Post
      So you remember "production hell". Then later "delivery hell". Now with a lot of Teslas on the road, people are experiencing "service hell". It has gotten so bad that a very prolific Tesla bull who had over 14,000 posts on Tesla Motors Club Forum has turned sour due to service issues he experienced, started posting complaints and they banned him from the site.

Wow this sucks! I dont know the story, but sounds like the dude spoke the truth about how he was feeling about Tesla's service and gets banned!

Sad that people get all butt hurt about the truth, then they dont want it read, or the word spread around so the ban you.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      Handed in my car enthusiast 'card'.
      08-06-2019 08:20 PM #6902
      I thought EVs don’t need servicing?

Vehicles
      2014 Cappuccino shawty, 2016 White Panda
      08-06-2019 08:27 PM #6903
      Quote Originally Posted by SanJoseJetta View Post
      Wow this sucks! I dont know the story, but sounds like the dude spoke the truth about how he was feeling about Tesla's service and gets banned!

Sad that people get all butt hurt about the truth, then they dont want it read, or the word spread around so the ban you.

The fact that tesla investors are moderating the forums is disturbing. Constantly deleting anything negative about the company.
      Quote Originally Posted by konigwheels View Post
      Wow, it amazes me that we have children in here that can't read a couple paragraphs. No wonder America's doing so well in education! Can't take the time to read, but sure can find the time to post. Self indulgence at it's finest.

TL;DR should be banned and changed to ID;CR or I'm dumb, can't read.

West Coast, not that west coast. Bay area, not that bay area.
      Vehicles
      16 Cayman GTS, 16 Colorado Crew, 17 Escape, 09 Versys, 2017 Barracuda
      08-09-2019 09:38 PM #6904
      Tesla Model 3 owner implants RFID key card chip into her arm as ultimate hack to unlock door

T
      esla owner, maker, and software engineer Amie DD has undertaken the ultimate hack: Implanting the chip from inside her Model 3 valet key card into her arm.

The idea for the Tesla bio implant, as described by Amie, came from an RFID chip she already has inside her hand that connects to her personal website and front door lock. “It’s just basic access control. If I were to tap my hand to your phone, it would automatically open a browser and go to my web page,” she explained in her video on the project. After pre-ordering her Model 3 and learning there was a key card with an RFID chip, she was inspired to connect her current chip to the new car.

Since Tesla’s chips are pretty secure, Amie had to adjust her original plan to copy its software onto her existing RFID chip and install the Tesla chip into her arm as a second bio implant. “I can get a lot of information about the Java Applet that it runs on, but I can’t take that information and write it to my current chip. So, it’s pretty secure. Good job, Tesla,” she explained. Of course, there were some challenges along the way, mostly with people doubting her ability to accomplish her goal.

“They [said] oh, you can’t like, start your car with that. It’s not secure, it won’t work. And it makes me want to do it more…because…it makes me question why. Like, why can’t you do it that way? What are the limitations?” she recounted. “And it actually makes me research it to be able to reverse engineer it, understand how it works, why it works that way…and then at the end, it’s like going to the candy store… I did it, it’s like the Sword of Destiny.”

To obtain the chip from the valet key, Amie dissolved the card’s plastic in acetone. She then had it encapsulated it in a biopolymer to make it safe for her body, calling in the expertise of Amal Graafstra of DangerousThings.com, a company specializing in “biohacking” and RFID chip implants. Finally, Amie’s chip was implanted by a studio experienced in body modification called Shaman Modifications. “I talked to a few doctors, and they were a little leery about doing this because it’s kind of a…questionable thing,” she noted.

Amie’s background goes well beyond turning her Tesla Model 3 valet key into a bio implant. She’s a self-described maker, builder, and “Magical Unicorn Software Engineer” whose projects include 3D printing, electronics, and cosplay costuming and accessory design. She regularly publishes video tutorials on those same topics and runs an Etsy store where she sells goodies like 3D printed cosplay items and unique LEGO gifts. Professionally, Amie has a background in Game Programming and Simulation and started her career at Marvel Studios, working on Captain America and X-Men Destiny. She later transitioned to Research and Development for development work on the Xbox and Playstation, as detailed on her website.

The full details and project diary for Amie’s Tesla Model 3 implant hack are additionally published on Hackaday, for anyone interested in either following along with her software/bioengineering or perhaps…interested in their own Tesla implant?

Watch Amie DD’s full video explaining her Tesla Model 3 bio-hack below. [Warning: The second video has the implant procedure, which may not be for the squeamish.]

Vehicles
      1998 New Beetle
      08-09-2019 10:55 PM #6905
      Neat, never lose or misplace your "key" again.

The Tesla card must be ABS (LEGO) type plastic if it dissolves in acetone.

08-10-2019 05:38 PM #6906
      Quote Originally Posted by Yuppie Scum View Post
      Polestar 2 is the most promising, scheduled to deliver next July, but that does reach into the 60’s in the initial run.
      Maybe is just me, but I think the Model 3 look a lot better than the Polestar 2. The Polestar looks like it was designed to mimic the Volvo 360.

On a side note I'm really surprised by the number of Model 3 I've seen here in Munich. The 3-series is still a lot more common (no surprise there), but I still see a few Model 3 everyday. I believe they are more common than Jaguar XEs, Alfa Romeo Giulias or Volvo s60s.

Vehicles
      08-13-2019 07:43 PM #6907
      Tesla Changes the Price of the Special-Order-Only Model 3 Standard Range (Again)

The cheapest Model 3 is now back down to its initial price of $36,200.

• Tesla has changed the price of the limited-availability, special-order-only Standard Range version of the Model 3.
      • It was initially priced at $36,200, then rose $400 to $36,600, and is now back down to $36,200.
      • The Model 3 Standard Range is available to buy only at physical Tesla stores and cannot be ordered online like other versions of the electric sedan.

The Tesla Model 3's pricing saga continues, as the company now says that it has reduced the price of the cheapest Model 3, the Standard Range, by $400. This means it is now back down to its original price of $36,200. It remains available only by special order at a physical Tesla store, and it is a software-limited version of the Standard Range Plus car that is the least expensive Model 3 that you can order online.

For some context, here is a timeline of what has happened so far with the Model 3 Standard Range:

September 2016: Elon Musk revealed the Model 3, initially promising that it would cost $35,000 to start (not including the mandatory destination charge).

Mid-2017: The Model 3 went on sale but was available at first only with its more expensive Long Range battery option and a Premium Interior option, starting at $50,000.

February 2019: Tesla announced that the $35,000 Model 3 was finally available to order. It was said to be a stripped-out version of the Model 3 with cloth seats and a "Standard Interior" configuration with few standard features, priced starting at $36,200 ($35,200 plus a $1200 destination charge).

April 2019: Tesla removed the Model 3 Standard Range from its online ordering system and announced that it would be a special-order-only model available only at physical Tesla stores. The company also said that the Standard Range model would now be a software-limited version of the Standard Range Plus with the "Partial Premium Interior" and with certain features locked out, rather than the previously announced model with cloth seats and a "Standard" interior setup.

May 2019: Tesla raised the price on the Model 3 Standard Range by $400, making for a starting price of $36,600.

August 2019: Tesla lowered the price on the Model 3 Standard Range back down to $36,200.

08-13-2019 08:34 PM #6908
      But remember, Elon said it's those evil, awful car dealers that are the bad guys who change prices all the time.

Vehicles
      2013 Volt
      08-13-2019 08:52 PM #6909
      Quote Originally Posted by AZGolf View Post
      But remember, Elon said it's those evil, awful car dealers that are the bad guys who change prices all the time.
      No, he never said that. If 20 people go to purchase the exact same Model 3 tomorrow, all 20 will pay the exact same price. No haggling, no "I gotta talk to my manager", no 4-square game on a piece of paper.... just click "buy" on your phone like ordering from Amazon.

He never said that any product would always and forever and ever have the exact same price as the day it was announced. That's just making up **** to be snarky about.

Vehicles
      2013 Volt
      08-13-2019 09:01 PM #6910
      So you remember "production hell". Then later "delivery hell". Now with a lot of Teslas on the road, people are experiencing "service hell". It has gotten so bad that a very prolific Tesla bull who had over 14,000 posts on Tesla Motors Club Forum has turned sour due to service issues he experienced, started posting complaints and they banned him from the site.
      What the **** does an INDEPENDENT FORUM banning someone have to do with Tesla, Inc.? Tesla didn't ban him from anything. A forum which has this posted on it's front page:
      Copyright © 2006-2018 Tesla Motors Club LLC. All rights reserved.
      Tesla Motors Club LLC (TMC) is an independent enthusiast organization and is not affiliated with Tesla Motors, Inc. or its subsidiaries.
      ...banned someone for whatever reason they wanted (because it's, you know, a privately-owned website), and you're posting that drama here as if it somehow reflected on Tesla? If that "prolific Tesla bull" was mouthy enough to have 14,000 posts, no doubt be probably overreacted on the site to whatever "service issues he experienced" and their mods were all to glad to be rid of him.

Vehicles
      08-13-2019 09:01 PM #6911
      I didn't even realize that this low priced model was still available. Least expensive version on the website is $38,990. Frankly, if the only difference is the range software reduced, I don't get the point. Unless they offer these owners an upgrade for $2500 at a later date.

Vehicles
      1998 New Beetle
      08-13-2019 09:13 PM #6912
      Is there VAG-COM like tool for Tesla where you can go in and change the tuning to ludicrous range?

Vehicles
      2017 BMW i3, 2018 Clarity, 2019 Model 3 Performance
      08-13-2019 09:33 PM #6913
      I didn't even realize that this low priced model was still available. Least expensive version on the website is $38,990. Frankly, if the only difference is the range software reduced, I don't get the point. Unless they offer these owners an upgrade for $2500 at a later date.
      When I purchased the Off-Menu model in early May and owned it for 12 weeks, it was $35,000 (plus paint and delivery) but came with the full range of 240 miles. The only difference between that and the SR+ was the 0-60 was 5.6 vs 5.3. Thats all. I traded it back in to Tesla and they offered $36,800 for it. I think this is the best deal around for nearly any sedan.

Quote Originally Posted by dr_spock View Post
      Is there VAG-COM like tool for Tesla where you can go in and change the tuning to ludicrous range?
      Everyone wishes but I doubt it will happen soon especially if you keep letting your car update itself.
      Last edited by Tommietank; 08-13-2019 at 09:36 PM.
      Slow Car Fast

08-13-2019 10:14 PM #6914
      Quote Originally Posted by OOOO-A3 View Post
      What the **** does an INDEPENDENT FORUM banning someone have to do with Tesla, Inc.? Tesla didn't ban him from anything. A forum which has this posted on it's front page:
      spockcat never claimed Tesla banned him. Also;

There's separately been allegations that the people running various Tesla new outlets (blogs, forums) own a lot of Tesla stock, thus they have a financial interest in halting any negative discussions that would affect the value of their stock.
      Germans are white people. Look up #84 on the list of things white people like: Gear. Lots of Gear. We even have gear farkles over here. -Atomicalex

Upon my word I have had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers. -James Byford McCudden

08-14-2019 04:29 AM #6915
      I guess if you're already tattoo'd up all over then this is a small step to consider. I hope she doesn't get homejacked, though I guess they could just take the spare key instead of her arm :-S

Quote Originally Posted by OOOO-A3
      What the **** does an INDEPENDENT FORUM banning someone have to do with Tesla, Inc.? Tesla didn't ban him from anything.
      Nothing. But at the same time these forums do in a way serve as advertising, and it's a shame the messages may* be filtered to maintain a positive image. So, indeed, it doesn't have anything to do with the company, but it doesn't help reduce the polarization between haters and lovers of the brand.

*: not saying all of them are
      Current: 2019 BMW X3
      Past: 2015 Lexus CT200h, 2008 Mazda MX-5, 2006 Opel Vectra, 1999 Renault Safrane, 1998 Golf Mk IV, 1985 Golf Mk II
      Gasoline | Hybrid | Diesel

Vehicles
      '17 CarTruck, '17 Alltrack
      08-14-2019 08:14 AM #6916
      Quote Originally Posted by Zembla View Post

Nothing. But at the same time these forums do in a way serve as advertising, and it's a shame the messages may* be filtered to maintain a positive image. So, indeed, it doesn't have anything to do with the company, but it doesn't help reduce the polarization between haters and lovers of the brand.

*: not saying all of them are
      this.

There's separately been allegations that the people running various Tesla new outlets (blogs, forums) own a lot of Tesla stock, thus they have a financial interest in halting any negative discussions that would affect the value of their stock.
      not really working in their favor being ~40% off ATH

with 173M outstanding shares @ 57% institutional owned. rather what you see is just headline algos feeding off those blogs and forums or the silly TSLAQ folks. I doubt those few authors and community site owners have 700-900M in stock to move the market.

08-20-2019 04:34 PM #6917
      Anybody wanting to work in the hell- hole called "Tesla"?

Fremont is having a hiring fair this Saturday for associates and material handlers.......You know you want to work out in the tent at 99 degrees!

Amazing that turn over ratio out there is killing associates. Elon's line workers are either quitting the job, or they get hurt on the job and never return.

C'mon Elon, for once think of your line workers!!

19. Senior Member chucchinchilla's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1967 Bus, 1963 356
      08-20-2019 05:51 PM #6918
      ^Has it gotten worse, better, or stayed the same over there and how?
      Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      This forum is more and more of an embarrassment every day...

08-20-2019 06:54 PM #6919
      Its worse!!

The tent is a joke!

Associates performing 2-3 jobs at a time, in 95+ degree weather, with a 6 min break ..........and then you read online... people complaining about..."oh, my god my fender has gaps... "my paint isn't right".

Gee I wonder why?...... you get, what Elon pays for!.....quality at Tesla isn't going to change, until Elon starts to appreciate his people.

Everyone is over worked, and under paid!

08-22-2019 06:01 AM #6920
      Thought this belonged here.

Germany's Nextmove cancels Tesla order, citing quality issues

FRANKFURT, Aug 16 (Reuters) - German car rental firm Nextmove has cancelled the bulk of a 100-vehicle order from Tesla worth 5 million euros ($5.54 million) over quality problems with the Model 3, it said on Friday.

Nextmove said it had ordered the vehicles in 2018 but raised objections over quality and finish after taking delivery of the first 15 in the spring of this year.

It said it cancelled the order for the remaining 85 vehicles after failing to reach agreement with Tesla over how to fix quality problems including paint defects, faulty wiring, scratches on the dashboard and condensation in the headlights.

“We believe the customer’s decision not to take delivery of its remaining Model 3 orders wasn’t entirely due to quality issues, but was largely influenced by their frustration with an unrelated dispute from earlier in the year,” Tesla said in a statement, without elaborating further.
      Current: 2019 BMW X3
      Past: 2015 Lexus CT200h, 2008 Mazda MX-5, 2006 Opel Vectra, 1999 Renault Safrane, 1998 Golf Mk IV, 1985 Golf Mk II
      Gasoline | Hybrid | Diesel

Vehicles
      Clownshoe, x5 3.5d, Tesla 3
      08-22-2019 01:20 PM #6921
      When my (80 year old) dad was visiting town last weekend (roadtripped up from San Diego to the Bay Area for the weekend in his Model S), he asked if our phone key proximity on the 3 worked properly for seat memory. I was like , I just tap the driver profile on the screen to switch between my wife's seating position and my own. (I have the comfort-exit enabled on her driver profile so I can actually get in without breaking my legs off after she's been driving). I had 0 awareness of any 'memory' tied to the driver's phone key.

(My X5 is supposed to remember which fob is which, and return to the last memory seating position for that fob; I've seen this work fine in other BMWs but honestly we've driven the X5 so few times since I bough it a month or two ago, and we've probably only ever used my wife's key once, so.. who knows)

Anyway, my dad said he was watching some youtubers who found the Tesla implementation to be buggy (sometimes guessed the driver wrong) and a newer version worked perfectly, even if they raced each other in circles around the car and randomly chose who hopped in the driver's seat first -- memory was perfect.

Had no idea what he was talking about. I guess retired folk got more time to watch YouTubers than I do

Last night, new software update hit, and we've got driver's seat profile memory now!
      Must have been some early adopter/beta/early release 'feature'. I'm glad those people like being beta testers so it (hopefully) works properly for the rest of us when it rolls out.

So now, allegedly, the car will know who gets into the driver's seat (based on bluetooth prox). It'll be interesting to see how it works in practice -- particularly because we carpool, and we switch seats in the AM when I "drop myself off" at work. (I'm more awake in the morning, so I drive to work; she usually picks me up and drives home).

I'll be curious to see if it switches to her profile when we switch seats -- I'm thinking it could, since the car is in park. But maybe it is dependent on who 'unlocks' the driver's door first, and doesn't function mid-trip? Eg, it could require a lock/unlock cycle before switching. Regardless, no big deal, since we're used to just tapping the driver profile to move the seat and mirrors.

I'm hoping/assuming they implemented a safety so if the car 'decides' she's driving mid-journey, it doesn't start moving the seat on me
      Last edited by smoothsix; 08-22-2019 at 01:35 PM.
      Dash cam people suck. Don't be a dash cam person.

Quote Originally Posted by Dravenport View Post
      this thread is a mess, I can't tell if it's full of trolls or idiots and I'm not sure it matters

23. Senior Member chucchinchilla's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1967 Bus, 1963 356
      08-22-2019 02:34 PM #6922
      Quote Originally Posted by SanJoseJetta View Post
      Its worse!!

The tent is a joke!

Associates performing 2-3 jobs at a time, in 95+ degree weather, with a 6 min break ..........and then you read online... people complaining about..."oh, my god my fender has gaps... "my paint isn't right".

Gee I wonder why?...... you get, what Elon pays for!.....quality at Tesla isn't going to change, until Elon starts to appreciate his people.

Everyone is over worked, and under paid!
      The employee churn must be insanely high. There's being on board with "the mission" then there's having to look out for basic human needs. How hot does it get in the tent? Also, what's it like for the QC people at the end of the line, are they instructed to let defects go out the door? My guess is yes because a certain percent of customers won't notice and the rest can be taken care of out in the field all while being marked as a sold unit, no? Also are the days of Elon sleeping in the factory over? Does he still visit it often? Finally, I work in Sunnyvale and have seen the semi driving around but IIRC they've only built 2 so far, is that really it or are the other prototypes just power train mules hidden under the skin of a regular semi (Freightliner, etc.)?
      Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      This forum is more and more of an embarrassment every day...

Vehicles
      08-22-2019 06:02 PM #6923
      Quote Originally Posted by chucchinchilla View Post
      The employee churn must be insanely high. There's being on board with "the mission" then there's having to look out for basic human needs. How hot does it get in the tent? Also, what's it like for the QC people at the end of the line, are they instructed to let defects go out the door? My guess is yes because a certain percent of customers won't notice and the rest can be taken care of out in the field all while being marked as a sold unit, no? Also are the days of Elon sleeping in the factory over? Does he still visit it often? Finally, I work in Sunnyvale and have seen the semi driving around but IIRC they've only built 2 so far, is that really it or are the other prototypes just power train mules hidden under the skin of a regular semi (Freightliner, etc.)?
      There was a story out last week about executive turnover at Tesla. While it is high, it is only slightly higher than other Silicon Valley companies like Snap, Uber and Lyft. However, if you report directly to Musk, then the turnover is nearly double.

Is Tesla’s executive turnover really high? This analyst sets out to find the answer

Tesla Inc. has lost top executives at a faster clip than similar companies have, with turnover “dramatically higher” at the Silicon Valley car maker’s top echelons, an analysis by Bernstein has found.

Tesla TSLA, +0.02% in July announced the departure of its No. 2, Chief Technology Officer J.B. Straubel, its highest-profile executive departure yet. Employee churn at the company, however, has long been under scrutiny on Wall Street and beyond.

Analyst Toni Sacconaghi said in a note Wednesday he set out to address the issue “in a fact-based way,” comparing Tesla with similarly young, fast-growing, and mostly Silicon Valley-based companies such as Snap Inc., Uber Technologies Inc., Lyft Inc., and privately held Airbnb Inc.

“Our analysis indicates that Tesla’s annualized executive turnover level has been 27%, notably higher than the cohort average of 15%,” but not “outlandish,” Sacconaghi said, with Snap, with 24% turnover, and Lyft, with 23%, experiencing turnover nearly as high.

Tesla’s turnover of executives reporting directly to Chief Executive Elon Musk, however, has been, at 44%, “dramatically higher than the turnover of CEO’s direct reports at comparable companies,” which has averaged 9%, Sacconaghi said.

“While one could argue that (Tesla’s) high turnover reflects its unique and demanding culture, we worry that such turnover not only causes instability ... but could also reflect more significant concerns among senior leaders about the company’s direction or workplace practices,” Sacconaghi said.

Vehicles
      Yesterday 04:42 PM #6924
      Tesla driver mows down 11 construction cones on video and blames Autopilot

The driver's fault as usual for not paying attention. I can't wait for 2019 to end when 1 million Tesla robotaxis are on the road producing crash videos.

I'm sure everyone will recall the above incident. Guy hit 11 plastic construction barrels with his Model 3 while on autopilot. Well now the owner has posted the repair estimate online: $25,951.78

Vehicles
      2017 BMW i3, 2018 Clarity, 2019 Model 3 Performance
      Today 12:00 AM #6925
      41 hours to paint the car?
      Slow Car Fast

Page 277 of 278 FirstFirst ... 177227267273274275276277278 LastLast