VWVortex.com - Ferrari Testarossa vs. 512TR. Why such a price difference???
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ferrari Testarossa vs. 512TR. Why such a price difference???

Vehicles
      A CUV made by Toyota
      04-01-2016 10:07 PM #1
      Hello everyone,

I have always been a fan of the late 80's Ferrari Testarossa (esp the single mirror earlier models). I can't really describe why I like these the Testarossa's so much but it's probably due to the engine sound they make. Also, watching Don Johnson driving one in Miami Vice also did it's thing.

So here is my question. I was recently researching prices on-line and was literally mind blown that you could still find decent examples for under $100k. Why is that? Also, another question. Why are the 90's 512TR's so super expensive??? I mean all of them that are half decent. I don't think I found one for under $200k+ that I remotely liked. Isn't the 512 a literally the same car? Ok, I get it is a improved Testarossa but at 2-3x times the price? Come on....

Also, has anyone owned one? I know everytime I mention old Ferrari, all I hear is that stupid "cam-belt" or "engine out" stories.

Thanks,
      David

Oh, some pictures and sounds:

Testarossa:

512TR

Some sounds in case your Friday is a little un-exciting.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      1999 BMW 528i Touring
      04-01-2016 10:20 PM #2
      It wasn't long ago (less than 2 years) that you could find an early model Testarossa for not much more than $50k.
      "Make it ghetto, make it gangsta."
      -Ron Perlman

Vehicles
      Various POSes in good mechanical condition
      04-01-2016 10:28 PM #3
      Wow those look like kit cars!! Dat rear wheel fitment
      "No manual, no care."

Quote Originally Posted by davewg View Post
      It wasn't just about the top of the dash. Or stroking it. It was just the overall feel inside the cabin. Everything was fine until you looked at the dashboard.

Vehicles
      W116 - W123 - AMG - W463
      04-01-2016 10:31 PM #4
      Anyone who hasn't see Harry take a Testarossa across Europe is missing out. What a journey.

Vehicles
      1994 Volvo 940 Turbo Wagon, 1984 Mercedes-Benz 300TDT
      04-02-2016 03:28 AM #5
      7,177 Testarossa were made, but only 2,280 512TRs were made. The F512Ms are even rarer, they only made 500.
      Quote Originally Posted by ClothSeats View Post
      In after Ryukein seal of approval.
      Quote Originally Posted by Carson Fiber View Post
      Get a life already Loser
      |||||||

7. Member
      04-02-2016 07:27 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by Ryukein View Post
      7,177 Testarossa were made, but only 2,280 512TRs were made. The F512Ms are even rarer, they only made 500.
      This.

These days, almost any classic car valuation question needs to consider production numbers.

Vehicles
      08 Infiniti Guido35x, 74 Datsun Z
      04-02-2016 10:28 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Ryukein View Post
      That, and the TR looks absolutely perfect and not nearly as dated even with just the subtle changes it has. It's like the 348 vs the 355. Just a far better design with only subtle changes overall.
      Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
      yes, i am bored by FWD driving dynamics, and anyone who doesn't drive there cars to the limits and the beyond.

Vehicles
      1994 Volvo 940 Turbo Wagon, 1984 Mercedes-Benz 300TDT
      04-02-2016 10:30 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
      That, and the TR looks absolutely perfect and not nearly as dated even with just the subtle changes it has. It's like the 348 vs the 355. Just a far better design with only subtle changes overall.
      I completely agree.
      Quote Originally Posted by ClothSeats View Post
      In after Ryukein seal of approval.
      Quote Originally Posted by Carson Fiber View Post
      Get a life already Loser
      |||||||

10. Member
      04-02-2016 10:46 AM #9
      The 348 vs 355 example is a good analogy. Most non car enthusiasts wouldn't be able to tell the difference, despite obvious styling cues, and would probably figure they're the same car. Only until the 360 would most average people kind of notice its more modern curves. The Testarossa and 512 look even more similar to the regular joe on the street and I think would largely go unnoticed, despite the fact that there could potentially be close to a 10-year difference between model years.

Vehicles
      2002 VW Golf
      04-02-2016 10:53 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by NoXenons View Post
      So... is there a single model of car that you approve of in all of history, or is literally everything terrible?

Vehicles
      bunch of old german junk
      04-02-2016 10:58 AM #11
      Track width affects things other than a car's stantz (yo). Perhaps it was done that way for a reason?
      this / is / where / your / sweet / mods / go

Vehicles
      04-02-2016 11:18 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by r_fostoria View Post
      So... is there a single model of car that you approve of in all of history, or is literally everything terrible?
      Quote Originally Posted by s-rocc View Post
      Track width affects things other than a car's stantz (yo). Perhaps it was done that way for a reason?
      Guys it's just my opinion! No need to get worked up over it!!

"No manual, no care."

It wasn't just about the top of the dash. Or stroking it. It was just the overall feel inside the cabin. Everything was fine until you looked at the dashboard.

14. 04-02-2016 11:29 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by woofster View Post
      The 348 vs 355 example is a good analogy. Most non car enthusiasts wouldn't be able to tell the difference, despite obvious styling cues, and would probably figure they're the same car. Only until the 360 would most average people kind of notice its more modern curves. The Testarossa and 512 look even more similar to the regular joe on the street and I think would largely go unnoticed, despite the fact that there could potentially be close to a 10-year difference between model years.
      The 512 also is acknowledged to be a significantly better handling car.

sent from 51 Erindani b using Morse code

Vehicles
      2003 TTq, 2005 Outback 2.0XT, 2019 Renegade 1.3T, 2000 Monster 750
      04-02-2016 11:34 AM #14
      I was gonna comment on the white 512 but then I saw the white 288 at the end and forgot what I was going to say, thanks NoXenons

Vehicles
      2002 VW Golf
      04-02-2016 11:51 AM #15
      Guys it's just my opinion! No need to get worked up over it!!
      No, seriously. I genuinely want to know.

Vehicles
      04-02-2016 11:55 AM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by r_fostoria View Post
      No, seriously. I genuinely want to know.
      I just posted two cars that I like. Actually, I like the 288 GTO also, so that's three.
      Last edited by NoXenons; 04-02-2016 at 12:06 PM.
      "No manual, no care."

18. Member
      Vehicles
      '14 MP4-12C Spider
      04-04-2016 11:25 AM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by daviddepin View Post
      It wasn't long ago (less than 2 years) that you could find an early model Testarossa for not much more than $50k.
      Yep. Couldn't really give them away but now I've seen some up in the hundreds of thousands, and not 512Ms even. It's gonna be rough when this one bursts.

04-04-2016 11:33 AM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by Robin View Post
      Yep. Couldn't really give them away but now I've seen some up in the hundreds of thousands, and not 512Ms even. It's gonna be rough when this one bursts.
      I'm not sure that's going to happen. There's been an explosion of wealth in Asia and tons of new multi-millionaires and billionaires being made that simply didn't even exist before. There's a limited supply of luxury goods such as classic cars in the world, and yet the demand side (the number of super-wealthy) has exploded. Normally a bubble happens when there's no new wealth, but instead of huge number of the ordinary investors all chasing the same asset class. This time is different: this time the total amount of wealthy people has dramatically increased. New billionaires that simply didn't exist before, rather than the same small pool of them all suddenly chasing one asset class.

The other thing that widely defines a bubble is borrowing. The last housing crisis was fueled by borrowing. Everybody was borrowing from the person to their left, and doing so in a circle of sorts. Nearly all stock bubbles happen when people get overextended on margin, or multiply their leverage with time-limited options contracts. Classic sports cars are still ultimately not that expensive and are not generally purchased by taking out a 90/10 loan. In fact I'd bet that nearly every single classic car is purchased outright with cash. You simply do not get a bubble in the same way when loans are not involved and there's no time-crunch, in the way that options contracts are time limited.

20. 04-04-2016 11:36 AM #19
      I just posted two cars that I like. Actually, I like the 288 GTO also, so that's three.
      A+
      --
      2016 Discount Brand S3 | 1987 Peugeot PB-18 | 1986 Mid-Engine Supercar

21. Member
      Vehicles
      2000 Jetta VR6
      04-04-2016 11:43 AM #20
      Nothing to add except that a local dealer has this mint Testarossa in stock and I want it bad. Price is quite steep at $160k though

Last edited by e30_miata_lowerit; 04-04-2016 at 11:46 AM.

04-04-2016 11:55 AM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by dromanbujak600 View Post
      Ok, I get it is a improved Testarossa but at 2-3x times the price? Come on....
      Well, it's a Ferrari, so prices are going to seem outrageous no matter what. But it basically boils down to supply and demand. The 512TR and F512M are considered by cognoscenti to be better looking and better driving cars than the Testarossa. That causes them to be in greater demand by the market at large. Add in their more limited supply, and you get higher prices. Ferrari is a car for people who want, rather than need. As such, value is of secondary importance for many would-be buyers. Instead, what is more important is satisfying their lust for a particular car. It's all very emotional, which tends to distort markets even further. And don't forget that many Ferrari owners/ sellers are speculating to a certain degree.

Vehicles
      '81 Sportruck, '82 Jetta Diesel
      04-04-2016 12:06 PM #22
      The Testarossa is interesting. Last hurrah of the flat 12, relatively high volume, connection to Miami Vice, (I love that story, the Daytona they used in the first two seasons were kit cars, and apparently Enzo wondered why they used such an old Ferrari, and fake no less, so he gave them the white car.)

I will agree that fit and finish is pretty poor, but so was most exotica at the time. "hand built". US cars have CIS injection that is pretty reliable, major services every couple of thousand miles require engine removal, parts are expensive, most have so low miles that they break just sitting. I was more of a Lambo fan growing up, but in the past couple of years, I have grown to LOVE the Testarossa. The 512TR was a weird continuation. Better in almost every way, but stuck on body shape. It was considered to be modern, but it was still the old school construction techniques.
      DCIVW
      CE.

24. 04-04-2016 12:29 PM #23
      For me, I love the 512M. The 512TR was a weird update.

My pick is an early 85/86 single mirror car.

Vehicles
      '16 VW Golf 1.4 TSI R-Line
      04-04-2016 12:39 PM #24
      Not saying it's the case here, but there are regulations that sometimes define how deep the tire sits in the wheel well. There's a certain degree value to both directions from "12 o'clock" within which the tire tread needs to be inside the wheel well.

Vehicles
      '16 VW Golf 1.4 TSI R-Line
      04-04-2016 12:41 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by e30_miata_lowerit View Post
      Nothing to add except that a local dealer has this mint Testarossa in stock and I want it bad. Price is quite steep at $160k though
      I bet they could sell it a lot easier, if they put original wheels on it. Those are far from anything period correct, even, and make you wonder what other mods it has.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast