VWVortex.com - Ferrari Testarossa vs. 512TR. Why such a price difference???
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ferrari Testarossa vs. 512TR. Why such a price difference???

Vehicles
      Walk down there and screw 'em all
      04-05-2016 10:47 AM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by Son View Post
      I can appreciate the improvements made to the 512TR and the F512M and the smaller production volumes. But to me the Testarossa just is the original and one of the few '80s supercars that has a very '80s styling, too.
      Agreed. In 25 years these are going to be as valuable as the Daytona because they are so iconic.

Awesome 512M all the same though ^
      Power is knowledge

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Vehicles
      GT3, Viper, E-type, Cosworth, F355, 360CS, 512M, GT3RS, e24, RS4
      04-05-2016 10:52 AM #52
      I too used to find the testarossa to be ugly and the 512 M to be the ugliest version. I hated the front bumper, and the wheels, where as the taillights and expose headlights I could live with. I think mine being black helps hide some of the ugliness.

However, over the last couple years the car has really grown on me aesthetically. Now when I look at a regular testarossas or 512TR's they look slightly more dated to me. And the overall wedge-shaped or silhouette is gorgeous, I will look for it but I have a picture of the car taken at sundown and it looks like a shadow against the night sky, an amazing silhouette. Will post it when I can dig it up

Vehicles
      UberBlack
      04-05-2016 11:02 AM #53
      You should definitely get in contact with Mike Gilbert (previous page) for a shoot. He's very talented, and we'd love to see the shots he takes of your cars.

5. 04-05-2016 11:28 AM #54
      exotic car pricing is a dangerous game

Vehicles
      RS3, SQ5, Miata, SLK, & Allroad
      04-05-2016 11:52 AM #55
      Quote Originally Posted by dubdaze68 View Post
      Mechanically, I think the 512M is a masterpiece. Stylistically? Ehhhhhhhh. I think the taillight treatment looks tacked on, and the front bumper reminds me of the last couple of years of any car run, just trying a bit too hard to modernize an old shape. I do like the fact that later cars had such a beautiful and varied color palate. Light colors just WORK on that body. You also have to appreciate that Ferrari kept up development on an aging warhorse, especially with an engine that had it's roots in late 60's/early 70's F1 and Sports Car technology.
      Agreed. I really appreciate its place in history and the significance of the additional engineering.

I am torn between a 512TR and a flying mirror Testarossa.

A 512TR in bianco/tan would definitely move me though. Just would have to figure out how to get a personalized plate that says COCAINE.

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/...r/1786956.html

Vehicles
      Personal: 2017 SS, 1997 LS1/T56 V90 Work: 2017 Camry XLE
      04-05-2016 11:35 PM #56
      Waw, RS4, thank you for sharing! What a collection!

Quote Originally Posted by mikegilbert View Post
      When we both have some spare time , I'd love to do a photoshoot.
      I cannot endorse this enough. Make it happen puhleeaaasseee!

Arlington Heights, the center of the universe
      Vehicles
      AP1 and JLU
      05-21-2020 04:19 PM #57
      Between The Last Dance and the recent ISSIMI/Carmudgeon episode on them, as well as Harry Metcalfe’s videos, I suddenly have a renewed interest in these cars. Looking at BaT, they’re in the mid-$100k range now, down quite a bit from the origins of this thread. Anyone else suddenly have this particular itch?
      Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

Vehicles
      '97 BMW M3/4/5, Highlander Limited, Honda CB1100
      05-21-2020 04:25 PM #58
      Quote Originally Posted by The_Real_Stack View Post
      Between The Last Dance and the recent ISSIMI/Carmudgeon episode on them, as well as Harry Metcalfe’s videos, I suddenly have a renewed interest in these cars. Looking at BaT, they’re in the mid-$100k range now, down quite a bit from the origins of this thread. Anyone else suddenly have this particular itch?
      Yes. It's one of those cars I'd consider buying much to the detriment of my retirement contributions.

As an aside, I really like Carmudgeon. It's my go-to car podcast these days.

Vehicles
      AP1 and JLU
      05-21-2020 04:29 PM #59
      Quote Originally Posted by x(why)z View Post
      Yes. It's one of those cars I'd consider buying much to the detriment of my retirement contributions.

Ditto. Just listened to the latest one at lunch today.
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

11. Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      Vehicles
      LS3 Malibu, Mid Engined Camry
      05-21-2020 06:37 PM #60

I run into Jason and Derek on rallies and at CnC's, and I've thanked them a few times for cranking out really good quality content. There's a world of crap out there, but Cammisa has been one to churn out good content for awhile, and I'm glad to see Derek following suit.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen. Assetto Corsa Discord Link. Join us for some sim racing fun.
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillie Phanatic
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. I’ll be there, front row.

Vehicles
      2019 GTI/9-5 Aero SportCombi/993/Volt
      05-21-2020 09:27 PM #61
      You strike me as a man who loves to live dangerously. So, $85,000 or best offer. It's been for sale for about 6 months so I bet he'll take less. And it's a Monospecchio!

... Oh, did I forget to mention it has 98k miles? So, when does the S2K go on Craigslist?

https://redlineclassics.com/listings...flying-mirror/

Leonardo - Team Post-Killing Ninja
      Fizzy - Team My Little Pony
      #FREEPATRIKMAN
      Quote Originally Posted by Jrod511 View Post
      If I could do one thing with a DeLorean it would be to give Vad's parents a condom.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
      Do you want to be known as the guy who makes worse automotive decisions than VadGTI?

Vehicles
      17 GTI Sport
      05-21-2020 09:49 PM #62
      Quote Originally Posted by VadGTI View Post

What's up with the single-sided air intake in the front spoiler? Oil cooler venting?
      Current | Mk7 GTI
      History | C7 Z51 | GT86 | 987.1 | S197 | 987.1 | W126 | EM1 | GVR4
      Speed/Sport/Life

Vehicles
      AP1 and JLU
      05-21-2020 10:43 PM #63
      Quote Originally Posted by VadGTI View Post
      You strike me as a man who loves to live dangerously. So, $85,000 or best offer. It's been for sale for about 6 months so I bet he'll take less. And it's a Monospecchio!

... Oh, did I forget to mention it has 98k miles? So, when does the S2K go on Craigslist?

I’ve just alerted my wife we will be buying this instead of the house she thinks we are buying.

Vehicles
      2003 TTq, 2005 Outback 2.0XT, 2019 Renegade 1.3T, 2000 Monster 750
      05-21-2020 11:03 PM #64
      The first model car I ever built was a Testarossa, seeing one hits this pang deep down where I would definitely buy one over many other "better" cars, they're just spectacular. The one you posted Vad literally frustrates me, I need to whip something into shape to make more money

16. Member
      Vehicles
      2008 Hyundai Accent, 2007 S2000
      05-21-2020 11:39 PM #65
      Quote Originally Posted by dromanbujak600 View Post
      Isn't the 512 a literally the same car? Ok, I get it is a improved Testarossa but at 2-3x times the price? Come on....
      Many people think like that but it is actually a LOT different between Testarossa and 512TR/512M. It is really improved a lot. You can say it is a complete different that "look" alike.

watch this to learn about 512BB, Testarossa, 512TR and 512M
      “I am not a Mac user unless under duress.” - John Carmack

05-22-2020 12:59 AM #66
      Quote Originally Posted by daviddepin View Post
      It wasn't long ago (less than 2 years) that you could find an early model Testarossa for not much more than $50k.
      Yeah I actually very seriously considered buying a Ferrari instead of a house back in 2000. At the time, I had a good amount of money saved up, the world was going through the dot-com recession and then 9/11 and I could swear by early 2002 I was seeing even 512TRs in the $60k range, which would have been doable for me if I'd just put all my money into savings instead of buying a house.

Vehicles
      2018 ATS 2.0T 6 speed manual, 2014 RDX, 1989 VW Cabriolet
      05-22-2020 07:50 AM #67
      I’ve just alerted my wife we will be buying this instead of the house she thinks we are buying.
      You can live in a car, but you can't race a house.

Vehicles
      05-22-2020 10:23 AM #68
      Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      I run into Jason and Derek on rallies and at CnC's, and I've thanked them a few times for cranking out really good quality content. There's a world of crap out there, but Cammisa has been one to churn out good content for awhile, and I'm glad to see Derek following suit.
      I'm glad you're giving them real-life feedback. I hope they find a foothold and have continued success as content producers. I can't believe how knowledgeable Derek is, too. I'd love to see some behind-the-scenes at ISSIMI stuff from them.

I'm envious of you all out in California immersed in the car culture. It feels like a car-culture wasteland out here sometimes unless you're into American muscle.

20. Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      Vehicles
      05-22-2020 11:13 AM #69
      I'm glad you're giving them real-life feedback. I hope they find a foothold and have continued success as content producers. I can't believe how knowledgeable Derek is, too. I'd love to see some behind-the-scenes at ISSIMI stuff from them.

I'm envious of you all out in California immersed in the car culture. It feels like a car-culture wasteland out here sometimes unless you're into American muscle.
      I first met Derek when he worked here: https://www.fantasyjunction.com/ Really cool spot, but I can see why ISSIMI drew him away.

NorCal car culture is pretty great, but SoCal has us beat by a hair. Before 2020 went all nuts, there wasn't a weekend where there wasn't something going on that was worth waking up early for. I tend to get up at 5:30-6am on the weekends to go on a drive, hit up a good CnC, take a drive to a CnC, go to a shops open house, etc. You should fly out for a RADwood and check it out sometime.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen. Assetto Corsa Discord Link. Join us for some sim racing fun.
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. I’ll be there, front row.

21. How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      05-22-2020 11:25 AM #70
      Quote Originally Posted by Avus View Post
      Many people think like that but it is actually a LOT different between Testarossa and 512TR/512M. It is really improved a lot. You can say it is a complete different that "look" alike.

watch this to learn about 512BB, Testarossa, 512TR and 512M
      I came in here to post this, glad someone got to it before me.
      Instagram - efrie004

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
      maybe its just me, but i wouldnt put anything in the circle of "unrealistic" when it comes to sex.

Vehicles
      05-22-2020 11:39 AM #71
      I first met Derek when he worked here: https://www.fantasyjunction.com/ Really cool spot, but I can see why ISSIMI drew him away.

NorCal car culture is pretty great, but SoCal has us beat by a hair. Before 2020 went all nuts, there wasn't a weekend where there wasn't something going on that was worth waking up early for. I tend to get up at 5:30-6am on the weekends to go on a drive, hit up a good CnC, take a drive to a CnC, go to a shops open house, etc. You should fly out for a RADwood and check it out sometime.
      I went to Radwood Detroit and was planning on going to their Philadelphia event a few weeks ago. Obviously that did not happen.

And yes, we will be heading out there as soon as things shape up. I spent a ton of my teens and early twenties in the Santa Ynez valley visiting friends, and am usually in LA or SF once a year. I rarely get to do much car stuff, though, as it's all work. My wife, who is from NY, has never been to California, oddly, despite having travelled extensively. I worry she will fall in love. I actually just applied for a job at a college near LA... Who knows!

Vehicles
      AP1 and JLU
      05-22-2020 11:54 AM #72

What’s super intimidating is the apparent level of wealth, or at least car wealth, these guys have. Camissa has a half-dozen cars and a warehouse to store them in, none of them are super-expensive but the Ferrari and the Elise ain’t cheap either, that’s probably $100k right there. And the DT-H-S, he’s got a 500E, a half-share in a GT3, and a freaking Muira? Plus these guys live in one of the most expensive places on earth? Wow. Their personal economics are none of my business but jeez.

Also as much as I like their show, there is a bit of snobbiness that certain cars aren’t worth their time discussing, that you don’t get from a Leno or a Harry, and it is a little off-putting (like their show “911s are too common get something else”). I mean I get it but jeez.

24. Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      Vehicles
      05-22-2020 12:07 PM #73
      What’s super intimidating is the apparent level of wealth, or at least car wealth, these guys have. Camissa has a half-dozen cars and a warehouse to store them in, none of them are super-expensive but the Ferrari and the Elise ain’t cheap either, that’s probably $100k right there. And the DT-H-S, he’s got a 500E, a half-share in a GT3, and a freaking Muira? Plus these guys live in one of the most expensive places on earth? Wow. Their personal economics are none of my business but jeez.

Also as much as I like their show, there is a bit of snobbiness that certain cars aren’t worth their time discussing, that you don’t get from a Leno or a Harry, and it is a little off-putting (like their show “911s are too common get something else”). I mean I get it but jeez.
      What's a Butt Jeez? Is it similar to butt herp on the schwantz?

I went to Radwood Detroit and was planning on going to their Philadelphia event a few weeks ago. Obviously that did not happen.

And yes, we will be heading out there as soon as things shape up. I spent a ton of my teens and early twenties in the Santa Ynez valley visiting friends, and am usually in LA or SF once a year. I rarely get to do much car stuff, though, as it's all work. My wife, who is from NY, has never been to California, oddly, despite having travelled extensively. I worry she will fall in love. I actually just applied for a job at a college near LA... Who knows!
      Yeah, she'll fall in love. It's hard not to. Take her to the French Laundry and she'll want to move to the wine country.

Shoot me a PM next time you make it out here and I'll drag some other TCL'ers and my usual crew out and we'll have fun one morning.

Vehicles
      AP1 and JLU
      05-22-2020 12:10 PM #74
      Lol I got interrupted maybe 4 times by my kid writing that post hence the incoherence

26. How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      05-22-2020 12:11 PM #75

Another thing they'll always go into are things like (this is purely a made up example) "How owning a Ferrari 512TR is actually cheaper than owning a new Corolla". Then they'll go into the economics and depreciation. I mean I get it, and I understand how money works, the difference is that you need the money up front to procure the 512TR. Whether that be through special lines of credit or cash, there is a lot of money going in and out of these operations. Regardless of how much is actually going into their pockets.
      Instagram - efrie004

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
      maybe its just me, but i wouldnt put anything in the circle of "unrealistic" when it comes to sex.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast