VWVortex.com - Colors and Options- What would you like to see made available?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Colors and Options- What would you like to see made available?

1. Vortex Ambassador to Canada
      04-04-2016 11:34 AM #1
      Let's put our product planning shoes on for a second.

The other day, I was chatting with some dealer friends about VW's current package/trim level vs. options strategy. Namely, the inability to have cloth seats AND a sunroof, which we'd want to spec, should we find ourselves signing papers on a new GTI.

As of right now on VW.com, the only options available on a Golf GTI SE are Driver Assistance, Lighting Pack, Transmission, and a host of Volkswagen accessories. But that's it.

So, pretend you've been promoted to Golf/Golf GTI Product Planner at VWoA. Congrats, you earned it.

What components of certain trim levels would you like to see become standalone options? Would you buy a base car with leather and no sunroof? Conversely, would you buy an SE with cloth?

As a bonus question, which (if any) colors would you like to see added to the Golf/Golf GTI's palate? Would it be something legacy (ex. Black Magic or Mulberry), current but from other product (like the Golf R's Lapiz Blue Metallic or Beetle's Habañero Orange Metallic) or something else entirely?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 04-04-2016 11:37 AM #2
      Porsche Riviera Blue

4. 04-04-2016 12:00 PM #3
      Like subwoofer separate option. Only thing I wanted and couldn't get

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. 04-04-2016 12:04 PM #4
      I think fender audio and sunroof should be standalone options. Those were necessities to me but not the leather, so I ended up getting SE model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Sausage King of Chicago Abe Froman's Avatar
      Vehicles
      1961 Ferrari 250 GT California
      04-04-2016 12:06 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by alexjkrav View Post
      Porsche Riviera Blue
      I don't hate this idea...

For me, it's a 2dr SE 6MT in "Violet Touch" w/ heated cloth seats (monochromatic plaid from the GTD), Lighting Package, & no sunroof.
      I unbanned Patrikman.

I also originally banned Zuk & JIMP.

Then I got demoted.

8. Vortex Ambassador to Canada
      04-04-2016 12:17 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by alexjkrav View Post
      Porsche Riviera Blue
      On a limited run special edition car, I dig it.

Quote Originally Posted by suzbndt View Post
      Like subwoofer separate option. Only thing I wanted and couldn't get
      Totally forgot about audio. Thanks for pointing that out.

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      For me, it's a 2dr SE 6MT in "Violet Touch" w/ heated cloth seats (monochromatic plaid from the GTD), Lighting Package, & no sunroof.
      Better be making one of those for me as well.... I'll take mine with PP, please.

9. 04-04-2016 12:22 PM #7
      I could see people wanting sunroof as a stand alone

10. 04-04-2016 01:05 PM #8
      The great thing about the packaged trim level way of today, is use salespeople can memorize what's there... The "is this available with this" approach is easier to handle, and "well to get that you would be in a/an (S,SE,SEL/Autobahn) so on and so forth. It does sometimes make people irate but not enough to deter them from buying. "So from what you're saying, in order to get the sunroof on my GTI I will need to get the SE? Yes sir/ma'am that's correct, and included in the SE you also get the leather/leatherette seating WITH the fender premium audio!"

VW enthusiast and Salesman - Heritage VW Parkville
      '16 MK7 GTI Autobahn PP LP 6MT - Milltek Catback - Forge Atmospheric DV - APR STG1 HO...more to come soon!
      MileOne Automotive Breast Cancer Car : Click Here for more information!

11. 04-04-2016 01:06 PM #9
      BUT I must say, regardless of trim level on the GTI the heritage of the Clark plaid should be worked in, maybe on the doors for those with leather, or the GTI logos on the seat. I think it looks so nice but I wanted "The Works"

'16 MK7 GTI Autobahn PP LP 6MT - Milltek Catback - Forge Atmospheric DV - APR STG1 HO...more to come soon!

12. Member
      Vehicles
      '19 Spektrum Golf R 6-SP;'17 Tiguan Sport;'16 CC 6-SP R-Line;'16 Touareg TDI:'05 Audi allroad
      04-04-2016 01:08 PM #10
      Three Words: More Color Choices!!!!

How about:

Imola Yellow
      Deep Blue Pearl Effect
      Indigo Blue Pearl
      Mercato Blue
      Flash Red
      Bright Green Pearl
      Cosmic and/or Rave Green
      Habanero Orange

Violet Touch Pearl

The single biggest reason why I won't buy a GTI right now...Lack of Color Choice. It has been the single biggest complaint of mine for years now. Any of these colors listed, I'd be at my dealership this afternoon!

13. 04-04-2016 01:12 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by Ondaora20 View Post
      Three Words: More Color Choices!!!!

How about:

Imola Yellow
      Deep Blue Pearl Effect
      Indigo Blue Pearl
      Mercato Blue
      Flash Red
      Bright Green Pearl
      Cosmic and/or Rave Green
      Habanero Orange

Violet Touch Pearl

The single biggest reason why I won't buy a GTI right now...Lack of Color Choice. It has been the single biggest complaint of mine for years now. Any of these colors listed, I'd be at my dealership this afternoon!
      Being 100% frank with you, the color selection is a big deal, but what about when you chip your paint, or get swirls in it... These things are guaranteed to happen so why not get a color you can live with, and then pay to have it wrapped in whichever color of your choice, customized to your liking. They have wraps in all colors you can imagine.

Vehicles
      2016 GT 350 2016 A3 e-ton 2016 VW GTI 2011 A3 TDI 1986 Chevy Suburban 1970 Pontiac Lemans 1950 Chevy
      04-04-2016 01:16 PM #12
      Mine would be the ability to get an SE with Clark plaid seats. I bought an S because I wanted the plaid seats but would have liked a sunroof, Fender audio, and push button start.

Limited run of some more popular past colors:
      Jazz Blue
      Imola Yellow
      Black Magic Pearl
      Silver Arrow
      Tropic Orange

15. Member
      Vehicles
      '19 Spektrum Golf R 6-SP;'17 Tiguan Sport;'16 CC 6-SP R-Line;'16 Touareg TDI:'05 Audi allroad
      04-04-2016 01:22 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by JFertitta93 View Post
      Being 100% frank with you, the color selection is a big deal, but what about when you chip your paint, or get swirls in it... These things are guaranteed to happen so why not get a color you can live with, and then pay to have it wrapped in whichever color of your choice, customized to your liking. They have wraps in all colors you can imagine.

Very good point. I'm not completely sold on wrapping a car, not yet. But I've seen some beautiful wrapped cars. So I haven't ruled that one out.

16. 04-04-2016 01:30 PM #14
      Yeah it does more than just the make the aesthetics of the car look "better" or the way you want, it protects the factory paint from chips and everyday wear and tear which is a bonus

17. 04-04-2016 04:12 PM #15
      I'd say a night blue clubsport dsg no esp like the R and a subwoofer.

18. 04-04-2016 04:30 PM #16
      Option packages tend to be put together in a way that keeps things simple for dealerships placing orders, and also to optimize inventories to assure that the car the most common buyers would want are in stock as the most common buyers tend not to want to wait on a car. They want it now. In as much, mucking directly with the offered packages may give those of us enthusiasts what we want, but it also adds complexity that will make dealerships complain. I believe, for sustainability, this should be planned in a way to keep both parties (dealers / inventory managers and enthusiast buyers) happy.

Looking at Audi, this is being achieved either intentionally or as a welcome side effect in two ways when you consider Audi exclusive. VW (or at least VWoA) don't have an equivalent to Audi exclusive, but the model could carry over with some changes.

First, open up complexity and options for a sold order. In other words, allow an enthusiast buyer willing to wait a few months for their tailored build to order outside the usual parameters. This could allow for stand alone choices of options or existing colors at that factory, and figure an ala carte pricing structure in that case. You could go one further and allow for dealerships to have to qualify to have access to such a program, or allow an enthusiast to order it online to push it to the dealerships. Encouraging dealers to order this stuff of their own accord for differentiation of their own inventory is also something that Audi is seeing done with Audi exclusive.

Next, go with micro batch special editions. Using the parts bin and the colors and trims compatible for American sale, create special runs every year. Audi did those color concept S3s, which got a lot of press and notoriety. Maybe take a page from that and a page from the Jeep playbook where they have a special color available in limited run every model year.

So, say VW did an EDITION 2016 for both the Golf R and GTI. Maybe they'd pick one color each, or one color across both runs, and build 500 of each model. Experiment with heritage colors (Montana Green, Jazz Blue, etc.) or even all-new colors. That Golf R featured in Car & Driver's comparison story this month is a great example. You can't tell me VW couldn't sell 500 cars built to that spec... which is basically Dark Green paint and black wheels. For EDITION 2017, change it up to something completely different.

Just my .02.

19. 04-04-2016 05:02 PM #17
      Other thing vw needs to cater a little better to those that want to special order. I ended up getting tired of waiting and bought one that was in stock 700miles away because I had no exact date of when the car I ordered was going to come in. I ordered a pp S dsg Lp. Six months into waiting I bought a night blue s pp lp dsg dap. Ordering a car isn't in vw business model. They are more geared towards take a pool car or what's in stock. There was zero cars in the pool that had pp and weren't loaded.

04-04-2016 06:36 PM #18
      I would LOVE a Nardo Grey GTI

Even a Papaya or Glut Orange GTI as well
      In the age of information, ignorance is a choice.

2016 MK7 GTI - CSG
      Past: 2008 B7 A4 Big Turbo - 2002 B5 S4

Vehicles
      2016 GTI Autobahn PP, LP, DCC, DSG
      04-04-2016 06:43 PM #19
      My dream color that I've only ever seen on a Kawasaki bike once is a candied orange with a yellow pearl essence in it. It's a gorgeous color that I think would compliment the GTI style very well. My favorite color is orange and finding a decent orange on a good car is near impossible. I know they did an orange with the Fahrenheit but I'd love to see them expand that color into their regular offerings.

Speaking of colors, just anything unique. When the Mk4s dropped, some of them had some really crazy colors. I don't know the name of it, but that baby **** green, although not for everyone was unique and when dropped with a nice set of wheels looked pretty good. Just mix it up. Don't keep just pushing out the same colors everyone else does.
      2016 GTI CSG Autobahn | JB4 Map 2 | VWR Springs | Spulen 10/15mm spacers | Black/Red emblems all around | DeAutoKey LED Brake lights | 35% Suntech Carbon tint | Blue tinted aspherical mirrors | Home-made Austin vinyl inserts (Klii Style) | StopTech slotted brakes

Vehicles
      2016 VW GTI-S 4-door MT LP
      04-04-2016 06:54 PM #20
      Jazz blue and Nardo grey, wouldn't mind having a sunroof in my S either. Also wouldn't mind some wheel options. I realize there are accessory wheels but a little variety would be nice. MK4's had tons of variations for cars built for inventory.
      Last edited by hybridhondahatch; 04-10-2016 at 10:28 PM.

Vehicles
      '13 GTI, '91 GTI VR6 (for sale)
      04-04-2016 08:20 PM #21
      Seems like SE with cloth seats is one of the major complaints. So I'll chime in on that bandwagon.

I still don't have a mk7 because I will not buy a car w/o a sunroof, and I much prefer cloth over leather. I regret it every time I buy a car with leather. Now if it was alcantara seating surfaces like an S4 I'd be all over that, but as long as there is forced leather I can live without a GTI.

I will also agree with other that have stated "allow enthusiasts to order a car how they want". I even had a 2004 GTI VR6 with the technology package that was supposed to only have leather. VW back then allowed me to special order that car with cloth. No reason they cannot offer that same service now.
      HEX-CAN VCDS, also 2x2 adapter for older cars
      '13 GTI,'91 GTI VR6
      (for sale)

Vehicles
      '13 GTI, '91 GTI VR6 (for sale)
      04-04-2016 08:22 PM #22
      PS: Bring back Montana Green!
      HEX-CAN VCDS, also 2x2 adapter for older cars
      '13 GTI,'91 GTI VR6
      (for sale)

25. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 Golf R DSG DCC DAP
      04-05-2016 01:41 PM #23
      Agreed on more color options. To my eye (certainly when it's cloudy), you essentially have a choice of black (CSG and NB are very close), white (silver also close), or red. They all look nice. But they all look the same, and pretty much the same as all the other cars out there. Limited run specials might be the most feasible way of doing it, but it can't be that hard. Oh for a car of an interesting color.

And some choice over wheels would be great too. At least the Santiagos that you get elsewhere? I actually like the Austins, but only one wheel choice?

And plaid seat options across the range. Again, shouldn't be hard.

There are lots of other options that would be nice, but probably aren't realistic for manufacture/inventory reasons. None of these seem unreasonable.

26. 04-05-2016 06:34 PM #24
      As I've mentioned before, I'd like to be able to get higher trim levels without a sunroof (because I'm tall) but with the plaid seats. If not, I'd settle for being able to get the Fender audio on the S trim.

I agree, more wheel choices would also be nice.

Colors are difficult because it seems like only white, grey or silver tend to age well. I know some may not agree that wild colors end up looking dated over time but that's just my opinion and I'm totally supportive of you being able to get the color you like because I'm sure the colors I mentioned will always be offered.
      Last edited by Todd111; 04-05-2016 at 06:46 PM.

27. 04-05-2016 06:35 PM #25
      Clark and partial leather would kick ass

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast