VWVortex.com - Nissan Pokes Fun at Tesla Model 3 $1K Deposit and Wait Time for Delivery in New Ad
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nissan Pokes Fun at Tesla Model 3 $1K Deposit and Wait Time for Delivery in New Ad

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2015 VW GTI SE
      04-22-2016 12:45 PM #1
      Nissan is the latest automaker to get its digs in on Tesla's Model 3 hype, in an ad for the Nissan Leaf.

http://www.autonews.com/article/2016...-upstart-tesla

NASHVILLE -- Tesla Motors has been crowing about the nearly 400,000 "reservations" it has received for its electric Model 3 sedan.

Nissan has now turned those reservations into fodder for its own advertising for the electric Nissan Leaf.

“No one should have any reservations about getting an electric car today,” trumpets a Nissan ad that appears around the country today. The ads appear in Friday’s New York Times, Los Angeles Times, USA Today and The Wall Street Journal, reminding consumers that Nissan has been mass-producing the all-electric Leaf since 2010.

Tesla’s Model 3 is not expected to reach the market until late 2017.

The California industry newcomer has become a point of fascination for many U.S. consumers for promising affordable electric vehicles.

But Nissan pioneered EV mass production, investing $5 billion around the world over the past eight years to produce EV battery modules and cars on three continents. The automaker’s plant in Smyrna, Tenn., now turns out Leafs that sell for as little as $22,360, including destination and after a $7,500 federal EV purchase credit.

“Why wait when you can drive an all-electric Leaf now?” Nissan asks in the ads. “And why drop $1,000 to stand in line when you can get $4,000 cash back and best-in-class range?”
      Last edited by whitejeep1989; 04-22-2016 at 12:54 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
      VWVortex.com
      Advertisements
      Vehicles
      2018 Hyundai Elantra Sport, 2005 Honda Element
      04-22-2016 12:58 PM #2
      All I can think is why didn't Nissan the company put the Infiniti LE into production. They had a practically a production-ready model sitting there years ago before the Model 3 was a twinkle and Elon's eye (and that's looks WAY better than it) and they just sat on their hands.

These guys a have bad habit of moving too slowly with their product development (or not moving forward at all when they really should).

Hell, they could've even had a perfect fit with the new nomenclature: the Infiniti eQ. God damn it, you guys....

He's really showing us what a man with a cannon in his chest can do!

Vehicles
      2004 R32, 2012 Abarth
      04-22-2016 01:03 PM #3
      "Why stand in line for an iPod when you could get a ZUUUUUUNE!" is how this reads to me.
      Instagram: @clink_clank_clunk

5. Member
      Vehicles
      '12 Jetta GLI
      04-22-2016 01:05 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by rconn14 View Post
      "Why stand in line for an iPod when you could get a ZUUUUUUNE!" is how this reads to me.
      ^^^
      Quote Originally Posted by Rigby
      Hamboning will save your life someday

Vehicles
      2011 Naruhito Zelas
      04-22-2016 01:06 PM #5
      Clicked to see if Nissan was going for the low hanging fruit...

"And then I told them to put down a deposit and in a few years, they'd get a brand new car, LOL!"

Left disappointed.
      Nowdays us made cars what you're proud of

04-22-2016 01:10 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by VarianceVQ View Post
      All I can think is why didn't Nissan the company put the Infiniti LE into production. They had a practically a production-ready model sitting there years ago before the Model 3 was a twinkle and Elon's eye (and that's looks WAY better than it) and they just sat on their hands.

These guys a have bad habit of moving too slowly with their product development (or not moving forward at all when they really should).

Hell, they could've even had a perfect fit with the new nomenclature: the Infiniti eQ. God damn it, you guys....

True. Infiniti didn't have the Tesla balls. Kinda sad in hindsight isn't it?!

They were too busy spending $ to change all of their lettering around for little payoff.
      The world is Fiat.

Vehicles
      2017 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited, 2013 Hyundai Elantra Limited
      04-22-2016 01:39 PM #7
      "Of course that's just my opinion; I could be wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by The Igneous Faction
      Have you ever popped the hood on a powerstroke E350?
      Quote Originally Posted by WhistlerYOW
      No, I got good grades in school

9. Member
      Vehicles
      2015 Mazda 6... for now
      04-22-2016 01:48 PM #8
      Lol and that's why the local dealer is offering 10K off sticker on new Leafs?

Vehicles
      04-22-2016 02:27 PM #9
      Eh, more like Android vs. iOS.

Quote Originally Posted by JitteryJoe View Post
      Lol and that's why the local dealer is offering 10K off sticker on new Leafs?
      "Why" is because EV sales as a segment are down in general and the current Leaf is five years old anyway.

Which goes back to the "slow to develop" thing. If they don't put the production IDS/next Leaf out before (or maybe shortly after) the Model 3 launches, it'll be another missed opportunity.

Last edited by VarianceVQ; 04-22-2016 at 02:31 PM.

Vehicles
      2004 R32, 2012 Abarth
      04-22-2016 02:33 PM #10
      Explain to me in what otherworldly situation anybody would want a Leaf over a Model 3 if they were parked side by side.

Also, neither of those things are products.

Last edited by rconn14; 04-22-2016 at 02:36 PM.

That's totally inappropriate. It's lewd, lascivious, salacious, outrageous!
      Vehicles
      '18 VW Alltrack, '15 Outback Limited
      04-22-2016 02:38 PM #11
      Explain to me in what otherworldly situation anybody would want a Leaf over a Model 3 if they were parked side by side.
      Price. Reliability. Dealership network. Service costs. Should I go on?

13. 04-22-2016 02:43 PM #12
      Nissan can laugh now, poking fun at Tesla. But just wait Nissan until the year 2023 when the 1st production Model 3's finally arrive!

Vehicles
      2004 R32, 2012 Abarth
      04-22-2016 02:48 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by MCTB View Post
      Price. Reliability. Dealership network. Service costs. Should I go on?
      Yes you should. Any Leaf trim outside of the base poverty spec with any options is $35k+.

It'll be nice getting double the range in a Model 3 as well.

Tesla has also done everything in their power to make sure their service experience is second to none.

How are service costs for a car that isn't even available yet more expensive? Especially when you've got a dealership that will charge $84 to change a light bulb versus a manufacturer run service center that isn't going to act that way.

Vehicles
      04-22-2016 02:49 PM #14
      A scenario where somebody doesn't like how the Model 3 looks, perhaps? Those people do exist. (I don't like the look of either of them honestly.) There are the other things someone else brought up while I was writing this too but "parked side by side" made me think we were talking aesthetics only.

Also, neither of those things are products.
      I think it's a better way to put it. The "Zune" in your comparison came well before the "iPod" and is a segment best-seller -- unlike the actual Zune.

Android products hold the majority of the marketshare. iOS products have plenty of hype and rabid fans but they're still a -- relatively speaking -- more minor player in the market.

Besides, OSes are products. They just come with the hardware.

Vehicles
      2006 Ford Fusion 2.3 Turbo, 2016 Ford Fusion Hybrid
      04-22-2016 02:49 PM #15
      More like Windows phone vs iOS.
      Android in the analogy would be the Bolt.

Vehicles
      2004 R32, 2012 Abarth
      04-22-2016 02:55 PM #16
      A scenario where somebody doesn't like how the Model 3 looks, perhaps? Those people do exist. (I don't like the look of either of them honestly.)

I think it's a better way to put it. The "Zune" in your comparison came well before the "iPod" and is a segment best-seller -- unlike the actual Zune.

Android products hold the majority of the marketshare. iOS products have plenty of hype and rabid fans but they're still a -- relatively speaking -- more minor player in the market.

Besides, OSes are products. They just come with the hardware.
      Jesus titty****ing Christ you TCL whiners are nitpicky over a simple semi-joking analogy. You must be especially fun at parties.

By the way:
      iPod came out in 2001.
      Zune came out in 2006.

If I have to explain this I'm just stooping to retard level. It was a simple joke but it's so clear that certain TCL members will do anything to try and hear the sound of their own voice overpowering someone elses to try and sound smarter. You don't.

Here's your cookie you're looking for

News flash: nobody wants a ****ing Leaf with the Model 3 coming into existence. The only people who bought a new Leaf at this point have done so because the Model 3 isn't available.

Find me one non-TCL windbag Leaf owner that wouldn't rather have a Model 3. Just one. ONE.
      Last edited by rconn14; 04-22-2016 at 02:59 PM.

Vehicles
      04-22-2016 03:03 PM #17
      Yes you should. Any Leaf trim outside of the base poverty spec with any options is $35k+.

It'll be nice getting double the range in a Model 3 as well.

Tesla has also done everything in their power to make sure their service experience is second to none.

How are service costs for a car that isn't even available yet more expensive? Especially when you've got a dealership that will charge $84 to change a light bulb versus a manufacturer run service center that isn't going to act that way.
      And who pays $35k for their Leaf? No one.

How many Tesla service stations are around you? In the entire state of Virginia, Tesla lists one. One. They better go out of their way to deliver a great service experience as you have no options and might have a long tow trip if something goes wrong which, you know, happens. Sure, doors with malfunctioning sensors resulting in them hitting things will not require a tow. But, lets say I live in Richmond and the only listed service center is in Tysons. Thats a 2 hour drive and unless they are going to fix it while I wait, I will need to find an alternate form of transportation.

Tesla simply does not have a reputation for being very reliable. Numerous bugs, etc... Is the Leaf problem free? No. But when there is an issue, there are going to be more options for service than just one. And Virginia is a big state. You live in CT, while smaller than Va, you still only have one option. The estimation of service costs are based on Teslas record.

I am not an EV hater. I am not a Tesla hater. Tesla apologists though make no sense to me.

Vehicles
      04-22-2016 03:03 PM #18
      Jesus titty****ing Christ you TCL whiners are nitpicky over a simple semi-joking analogy. You must be especially fun at parties.

iPod came out in 2001.
      Zune came out in 2006.

If I have to explain this I'm just stooping to retard level. It was a simple joke but it's so clear that certain TCL members will do anything to try and hear the sound of their own voice overpowering someone elses to try and sound smarter. You don't.
      You can calm down anytime now.

If you can't handle a simple discussion without flying off the handle like this. I think you need to re-evaluate who the one who is taking this too seriously is.

By the way, I put "Zune" in quotes there previously (think air quotes) because I wasn't talking about the actual Zune. I was talking about the Microsoft Zune when I took the trouble of saying "the actual Zune" later in that statement. If you couldn't follow that, keep better track of your own joke in the future, I guess.

Vehicles
      2004 R32, 2012 Abarth
      04-22-2016 03:07 PM #19
      And who pays $35k for their Leaf? No one.

How many Tesla service stations are around you? In the entire state of Virginia, Tesla lists one. One. They better go out of their way to deliver a great service experience as you have no options and might have a long tow trip if something goes wrong which, you know, happens. Sure, doors with malfunctioning sensors resulting in them hitting things will not require a tow. But, lets say I live in Richmond and the only listed service center is in Tysons. Thats a 2 hour drive and unless they are going to fix it while I wait, I will need to find an alternate form of transportation.

Tesla simply does not have a reputation for being very reliable. Numerous bugs, etc... Is the Leaf problem free? No. But when there is an issue, there are going to be more options for service than just one. And Virginia is a big state. You live in CT, while smaller than Va, you still only have one option. The estimation of service costs are based on Teslas record.

I am not an EV hater. I am not a Tesla hater. Tesla apologists though make no sense to me.
      Most of the reliability issues seem to be with features on the Model S and Model X that are far too expensive to implement on the Model 3. None of the issues really seem to be with the powertrain itself.

Should I say that the Leaf has terrible reliability because the GTR transmission grenaded itself? There's no door sensors on a Model 3.

21. 04-22-2016 03:10 PM #20
      I love all this talk about why would you get a Leaf when you can have a Model 3....... because the Model 3 doesnt exist ?

How is Nissan slow to develop when they have had a full electric before Tesla had anything ????

Vehicles
      Fake Rich C300
      04-22-2016 03:10 PM #21
      The Zune comment sounds accurate.

The Nissan Leaf has an unfortunate battery pack with inferior heat/cooling management vs competitors like Tesla. Future Nissan electrics will probably improve but right now the Leaf seems a generation behind Tesla.

04-22-2016 03:12 PM #22
      Should I say that the Leaf has terrible reliability because the GTR transmission grenaded itself? There's no door sensors on a Model 3.
      False equivalency. The Leaf is a real car, while the Model 3 is a future promise.

Vehicles
      2004 R32, 2012 Abarth
      04-22-2016 03:14 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by AZGolf View Post
      False equivalency. The Leaf is a real car, while the Model 3 is a future promise.
      Which is why predicting reliability as a reason not to buy one is even more asinine.

Vehicles
      04-22-2016 03:16 PM #24
      Most of the reliability issues seem to be with features on the Model S and Model X that are far too expensive to implement on the Model 3. None of the issues really seem to be with the powertrain itself.

Correlation does not equal causation. So, I guess that with a more expensive Tesla, you should expect more issues? Hmmm, I wonder why Tesla is not using that as their slogan?

How do you know what the vaporware Model 3 is going to be like? Are you some sort of wizard? Gandalf, is that you? Using a companies record for reliability to predict what might happen in the future is not a bad thing at all. We know they have issues. We know that they will have issues. Does the Tesla warranty cover a 100+ mile tow? Do you have the time to spend 4 hours round trip to deliver your car to a dealership whenever it needs a service or replacement part? What about recall work? Dealership network matters to most, except for you apparently. I have read all about Tesla issues. Being able to easily get a dealership service matters to me. You asked for reasons why a Leaf is worth buying over a vaporware Model 3, I gave you some.

Vehicles
      04-22-2016 03:21 PM #25
      How do you know what the vaporware Model 3 is going to be like? Are you some sort of wizard? Gandalf, is that you? Using a companies record for reliability to predict what might happen in the future is not a bad thing at all. We know they have issues. We know that they will have issues. Does the Tesla warranty cover a 100+ mile tow? Do you have the time to spend 4 hours round trip to deliver your car to a dealership whenever it needs a service or replacement part? What about recall work? Dealership network matters to most, except for you apparently.
      You'd think a Fiat owner of all people would appreciate this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast