VWVortex.com - First automatic. First V8. (Infiniti Content Within)
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: First automatic. First V8. (Infiniti Content Within)

Vehicles
      2005 Legacy GT Wagon 5MT w/overnight diffs from Japan; 2013 Mazda 2 5MT
      09-06-2016 01:46 AM #126
      My parents are out of the country for a few months, so I've been starting up thier cars and moving them around to keep the batteries up and the like.
      I drove my dad's 06 M35X this weekend, it has 190,000mi and is way nicer than any 200k mi car should be. With the exception of a small wear through on the driver's bolster, the interior is basically ****ing mint. Everything works (though he did just replace the seat motor recently, but that is really the only thing), and the car drives really really nice.
      For all the Chrysler of Japan jokes, these are some really good cars.
      I think he's replace the shocks, radiator, the seat motor and that is basically it.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ducky TSX
      The Car Lounge likes to compare apples to llamas

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      diesels, and an mg
      09-06-2016 01:56 AM #127
      those lights came out great! they look like new in the pics...
      how long did that take for each light roughly?
      The All New! -- SpitfireEFI.com | Flickr

Vehicles
      Lexus
      09-06-2016 09:52 AM #128
      Quote Originally Posted by nm+ View Post
      For all the Chrysler of Japan jokes, these are some really good cars.
      Who makes those jokes? The 20 reincarnations of 1SUCKLEX?

5. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      09-06-2016 10:10 AM #129
      Wow. Those look great compared to what they were, especially that left one!

Does the kit include some sort of UV coating?

Vehicles
      '94 Miata - '16 RAV4 - '10 Prius
      09-06-2016 10:11 AM #130
      really, no one?

Quote Originally Posted by Ross1013 View Post
      Love these, nice pickup.
      Quote Originally Posted by Hostile View Post
      Another M45 fan checking in. Very nice pick-up.
      Actually, it's a sedan.

Nice! I love these cars, that interior is gorgeous.

Vehicles
      2012 Mustang GT, 1986 Mazda RX-7 GX
      09-06-2016 10:17 AM #131
      Quote Originally Posted by nm+ View Post
      My parents are out of the country for a few months, so I've been starting up thier cars and moving them around to keep the batteries up and the like.
      Unless you are going for extended drives, you are likely doing more harm than good.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sonderwunsch View Post
      People have been complaining about modern BMWs lacking steering feel so they are adding torque steer.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ernie McCracken View Post
      I don't trust the judgment of anyone who likes black wheels.
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      I find it ironic that long time Euro brand fans would assume long term reliability issues would destroy any love of a unique product.

Vehicles
      Germany, 1986
      09-06-2016 10:36 AM #132
      Quote Originally Posted by ValveCoverGasket View Post
      those lights came out great! they look like new in the pics...
      how long did that take for each light roughly?
      About an hour per side, though thats accounting for beer breaks and just generally sitting on my ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Numbersix View Post
      Wow. Those look great compared to what they were, especially that left one!

Does the kit include some sort of UV coating?
      It does not, I bought some of that Opticoat stuff. We shall see just how effective it is. End of the day, I wouldnt mid doing them again with more pads so I can be a bit more through.

Vehicles
      Germany, 1986
      07-14-2017 12:24 PM #133
      I suppose an update is in order.

I continue to love the M45. For the money (if its looks suit you) its allot of car. The big V8 is tractable in about every situation you want it to be. When driven in anger it can pull up its skirt, drop a cog and move out. To be totally honest, I cannot imagine a world where my daily driver is anything but a RWD V8 (MP412c non-withstanding). I could go on and on about this powertrain but.....

Comfort wise there is not much else to report. All the curiously Japanese bits and baubles work as one would expect given their 2006 vintage. Notable things:

Adaptive Cruise - I drove the M45 back to Iowa from Seattle last summer. I was super excited to see how the car stretched it legs on a long journey. One disappointment however was the cruise control. On flat straight stretches it is great, particularly handy through long interstate construction zones. It dutifully slows and locks to the car in fronts speed, never violating the following distance you have instructed. When the road opens up and/or a car moves out of your lane however it is a bit over eager. Depending on the situation it will drop 2 gears and mat the accelerator to get back its set speed. This is somewhat fine on the flat and straight but can be annoying when it launches itself head long into a turn. If you happen to be going down hill its worse, the gearbox constantly downshifting to slow you. Speaking of turns, the cruise control I theorize takes a reading from a steering angle sensor and slows the car around turns - this can be maddening as it is super conservative. I get the intent, the execution however is lack luster. But....its from 2006 so you kind of have to give it a pass.

Cooled Seats - Awesome. Period.

Adaptive (curve following) Headlights - Great, you notice then specifically when you get into a car which does not have them.

Lane Departure Warning - Meh. You have to turn it on every time you start the car. On long stints behind wheel and after the trucker crack has worn off, the bi-polar cruise control does a better job of keeping you alert.

Misc - Speed sensitive wiper work, I guess, a bit lazy perhaps. Speed sensitive radio volume, meh. Nav, lol. Climate control, menopausal.

I have put 17K miles on the car since purchased and last week at 147K it threw it first CEL. A quick scan with the bluetooth adapter showed a cam position sensor failure on the passenger side bank. There are two cam position sensors, two valve timing actuators and one crank sensor on the car and their failure is a well documented issue. Strangely Infiniti/Nissan part numbers for these are difficult to determine. They used the same sensor on pretty much every motor for more than a decade. Anyway - 80 bucks with tax and I had a new off brand sensor from the local parts store. An actual Infiniti sensor was not much more but I was feeling uncharacteristically like a cheap ass.

Changing the sensor is a 5 min affair, most of which it removing the top engine cover.

IMG_4320.jpg by Shannon, on Flickr

IMG_4322.jpg by Shannon, on Flickr

That is until you drop the damn sensor like a idiot. Do that and off comes all the underbody trays.

20170630_114305 by Shannon, on Flickr

I figured since its been more than a decade since I have changed my own oil, why not while I am in there. Foolishly I had been topping it off with the 930's 20W50 when the car calls for 5W30. That done and the sensor replaced I went to button everything back up.

Hmmmm.....this doesnt look right.

IMG_4323.jpg by Shannon, on Flickr

IMG_4317.jpg by Shannon, on Flickr

IMG_4319.jpg by Shannon, on Flickr

I could swear I heard the 930 over my shoulder issue a chuckle.

The fan shroud housing is cheap enough I should have just bought one and waited. I really wanted however to ensure that the CPS issue was resolved. Zip ties and a zip tie holder to the rescue.

IMG_4324.jpg by Shannon, on Flickr

IMG_4325.jpg by Shannon, on Flickr

I immediately felt unclean, though not so much that it prevented me from buttoning everything back up and clearing codes.

After a drive cycle - damn, same code on the same bank. I replaced the sensor with the old unit, same code same bank. Now annoyed at my decision to be a cheap ass. Some internet sleuthing suggested the best practice is to change both sensors at the same time. Annoyed.

I moved the driverside bank sensor to the passenger side replacing it with the new sensor and the code moved to the drivers side. Bad 'new' sensor. I put the old passenger side sensor in its place and boom, no code. Annoyed.

What is notable in all this however is the change in how the car drove. Since owning the car I have heard what I could swear was detonation on occasion (I run 92 exclusively) when at low rpm/high load. No more detonation sound and wow, did the motor feel more awake. Even the frequently indecisive gearbox seemed to get its s**t together. Awesome?

Skip ahead a week and bang - drivers side code returns, gearbox goes back to IDGAF mode and things comparatively feel lethargic.

So today's mission is to pick up two sensors from Infiniti, order a new fan shroud and schedule my recall work for the Takata air bags/dash replacement.

Thanks for reading.

Vehicles
      Germany, 1986
      05-14-2019 09:38 PM #134
      Been along time since I have updated the Infiniti thread.

I finally gave in to the weekly airbag recall postcards. My reticence was mostly due to the internet horror stories of destroyed dashes. Lets be honest....its a dash from 2006 and the only airbag in the recall is the passenger side so all the things have to come out. While there I made the dumb choice to have a bunch of maintenance done. I had an oil change, diff fluid change, brake flush, power steering flush done. Yeah, I am idiot, but I am also incredibly lazy when it comes to my daily.

I dropped the car off and got a QX30 for a loaner, which was horrid. I have no idea what or where Infiniti lost the plot on the dancefloor. There was nothing about this rig that didnt suck.

When dropping the car off I worked with a service writer (at Infiniti of Lynnwood) who was....just incredible. I mentioned my concerns about having a perfect dash and my expectation of getting the same when the work was done. She took photos and videos right there on the spot.

A week went by and I missed a call from the dealership, making the assumption that the car was done I headed up to the dealership (bout 40mins in traffic). When I got there I learned that I should have called first. She wasn't calling me to tell me that we were all good to go, she was calling to say....its fubar.

Taking a look, the dash was cracked from the driver-side binnacle to the passenger side vent. Ever corner was broken off and just the underlying foam from 2006 was showing. It was about 3mm off center on the whole as well. She repeatedly said how embarrassed she was and that she had already started the warranty process with Infiniti of Japan.

1. Wow, thank you.
      2. It's crazy that somewhere in Japan a factory is making dashes from 2006
      3. Accountability, its a thing.

They just kept me in the same POS QX30. Seriously, this thing is abysmal.

Two weeks later I got the call, its ready. I showed up very eager to move on. That eagerness however would come to bone me. While they were super apologetic and the new dash looked great there was no discount to my bill for all the other work. I shrugged and chose to move on. Yeah, I could have whined but really other than a few bucks off would that have gotten me other than hard feelings.

On the way home however.......the warts began to show. The ashtray lid was broken. The center console lid was broken and couldn't be opened. The A-pillars were covered in grease. The inside of the windshield was scratched. And I noticed a week later that the passenger rear door had a scratch from a door ding all the way through to the primer.

Let's level set - this is my daily. If you want a car hit in a parking lot then you should work for Microsoft. I stuffed this car into the back of a car when traffic went from 70mph to 10mph in a huge cloud of tire smoke, I paid with a pranged fender. I had an idiot in an automatic car wash stomp her brakes. I spent an infuriating 3mins rear ending her POS every 8inches. This is a daily. That being said, I am not actively trying to make it worse.

Reached out to my friendly service writer at Infiniti of Lynnwood and she was totally on top of it. I said I wanted to speak the service manager, not because of her but they should know about the **** work leaving the shop. Dropping the car off I was told that the service manager was in his 3rd week on the job. Sigh. More assurances of making it right - none about maybe taking some money off my gigantic routine maintenance bill but ok. The service manager was very nice and went out of his way to say he would make it right.

They gave me the option of a Salmon colored QX30 (like you could make it any worse) or a QX50. I took the non-Mary Kay QX50, which was.......huge.....but great. The transmission mapping felt from this century. The engine felt smooth and powerful. The infotainment was still from 2009 but when coming from the dumpster fire of the QX30 I could live with it. To be clear, these were a 2018 and 2019.

Now to the end of this weirdly long post about an old Infiniti.

I go to pick the car up and I am greeted by the service manager and the world best service writer. They replaced the dash, fixed the windshield, fixed the ashtray lid, fixed the center console (though the latch sucks now), replaced the A-Pillar covers since they couldn't get the stains out. They made sure I was happy (I hadn't noticed the damage to the passenger side rear door). I could have beaten them up but....that service writer was so good I just moved on.

I think we are around 180K on the clock. Yeah, she wont win any car shows but it's still a fantastic car. I absolutely love this V8, even if it is attached to a transmission that's wearing a dunce cap. It's smooth, quiet, torquey, no-fuss and subtle.

Thank you for reading.

11. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2004 E46, 2018 SQ5
      05-14-2019 09:47 PM #135
      Are you sure that you and Schnell aren't the same person?

Glad they made it right.
      Instagram - efrie004

Buy my E46 sport springs. H&R part # 29485 - PM for details.

Vehicles
      Germany, 1986
      05-14-2019 09:48 PM #136
      Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Pics View Post
      Are you sure that you and Schnell aren't the same person?

Glad they made it right.
      Oh god....am I at that level?

13. Don't be me. Don't be a 'Rick' Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2004 E46, 2018 SQ5
      05-14-2019 09:52 PM #137
      Quote Originally Posted by 16volt View Post
      Just the crazy ironic stuff that happens to you at the dealership.
      Instagram - efrie004

Buy my E46 sport springs. H&R part # 29485 - PM for details.

Vehicles
      Germany, 1986
      05-14-2019 09:54 PM #138
      Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Pics View Post
      Just the crazy ironic stuff that happens to you at the dealership.
      Heh- this is only car fancy enough that I take it to the dealership. Its a 2006. The old lady thinks its just so I can bitch about it.

Vehicles
      16v I4, Supercharged V6, Gas drinking V8, High revving V10
      05-14-2019 11:12 PM #139
      Glad to see this thing bumped. I always think about this thread when I see them come in the store. Happy to see that its still proving its worth
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      Asking OT for relationship advice makes about as much sense as asking TCL what car to buy.
      Quote Originally Posted by ChillOutPossum View Post
      About 5 oclock I realized I needed to go to Costco for some white people stuff.

16. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      05-15-2019 12:08 AM #140
      Quote Originally Posted by 16volt View Post
      Not even close.

(You don’t buy enough cars, for one thing.)

17. ***** (Cat) Lover Pizza Cat!!!!'s Avatar
      Vehicles
      1) allmistake 2) V8 rental 3) merican vw 4) fake porsche
      05-15-2019 07:28 AM #141
      So, you're saying it's time to get rid of an allroad and bring another V8 home?

hmmmmmm
      Own a Chevrolet SS? Join the Official TCL Registry!

It's me, Rabbit, I promise.
      Quote Originally Posted by Vee-Dubber-GLI View Post
      NATORabbitCat5PizzaSand

18. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      05-15-2019 01:17 PM #142
      I mean...if one should happen to be traded in at a certain dealership...

Vehicles
      90 VW Corrado, 02 Audi allroad, 03 VW GTI 20TH, 96 BMW 318ti, 17 JKU
      05-15-2019 02:03 PM #143
      Quote Originally Posted by Pizza Cat!!!! View Post
      So, you're saying it's time to get rid of an allroad and bring another V8 home?

hmmmmmm
      Go for broke and get a V8 allroad.

That is a bummer of a story but glad that you came out ok in the end. I drove my boss's old V8 Infiniti years ago and it was a fantastic ride. I feel that it's a very over looked car on the used market.

Vehicles
      '15 STi & '16 .:R
      05-15-2019 02:17 PM #144
      Wow, great update.
      iain

21. 05-15-2019 07:22 PM #145
      Remember driving one of these back in 07, yes the V8 is intoxicating

05-15-2019 09:51 PM #146
      I wish I'd have the dash redone in my 07 M45. Everything you said about the car is spot-on. It feels like there's nothing this engine and trans can't do. Unfortunately, it met an untimely demise in a pretty severe accident. It saved the driver, but there was nothing left of the car forward of the A-pillar.

That same guy bought my 01 S8 and while the car is driving great, he's already ripped the front bumper off on a parking stop.

Chris
      | 2017 Elantra | 2018 JLU Sport | 2003 Mercedes S55 AMG | 2001 BMW 740 iL | 2009 Civic Hybrid | 1974 SuperBeetle | 1962 Ford Unibody | The poster formerly known as 200HP4dr

23. Member
      Vehicles
      '13 Optima SX-L, '11 MKX, '06 ER-6N
      05-16-2019 01:17 PM #147
      Super late but what an awesome car. Should take you to 200K with no problems.

However I can't avoid the elephant in the room. My dad had the weird 03 and I've had several VQ equipped cars....

What's dat gas mileage like? Sorry if it was already mentioned in the thread.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456