VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

German legislation for lowered cars

8K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  arturas12 
#1 ·
Hi,

I'm strongly considering moving to Germany in a few months and I'm pretty curious about how lowered cars work in Germany. After searching a lot, the only thing I've found in the web was the legislation regarding TUV and certificates which it seems to me you pretty much should (or need) to buy parts that have a certificate (in simple terms).

Anyways, makes me think that you may be able to put different kinds of aftermarket parts as long as they are approved so you can ride legally. However, is not uncommon to see pics of german cars really low (slamm'd to the ground). So, are those cars riding illegally? If not, is it hard to get a suspension kit to slam your car?

Cheers

#2 ·
Hey,

for every technical modification you do to your car (including lowering springs, coils) you have to take your car to the TÜV to check if everything was installed properly.
you can drive low, theres only a few laws you have to read about stance and you need to get your paperwork at the TÜV done.

i dont how you US guys get your license plates here, i could be different to the german way ;)

#3 ·
Hi, thanks for the reply! I'm actually coming from Australia and here you can put whatever you want since you obey a few laws/rules and one of these requires your car to be at least 100mm off the ground in the lowest point of the car.

About what you said in Germany, does that mean I can find some coilover suspension kit that allows me to almost touch the ground but if it has the proper documentation and everything installed properly, than it will pass the inspection (TUV) and I can use it legally?

#4 ·
exactly!

in every TÜV documentation of the coilovers is an a part that says in which range you can adust your coilovers to get through the TÜV inspection.
in most documents it says the distance between your fender and the middle of your wheelcenter cap. :)

PM me, if youre on facebook and like to stay in touch!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.